As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "What is your favorite TCG" Thread

2»

• Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PMAvers wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    My favorite is probably Shadowfist, which has tremendously fun multiplayer and a great setting, as well as simpler timing rules than MTG without sacrificing strategy. That said, the game died a horrible death, which is a shame.

Funny, they still seem to be coming out with new sets, so I wouldn't call it dead.
    I believe it's died then been revived by a different company twice. I know very little about the game though.

wateyad on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    My favorite is probably Shadowfist, which has tremendously fun multiplayer and a great setting, as well as simpler timing rules than MTG without sacrificing strategy. That said, the game died a horrible death, which is a shame.

Funny, they still seem to be coming out with new sets, so I wouldn't call it dead.

Yes, |I wasn't clear. It died a horrible death then resurrected.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    gorditobanditogorditobandito Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There was a game that never quite hit mainstream called Magi Nation, in like 02 or 03. It wasn't perfect but as fas as TCG's go, it had been a while since a truly orginal game came out. In a nutshell it was pokemon but the object was to kill a person's 'magi'. But unlike magic, your avatar had stats and greatly affected the strategy of your deck, furthermore each player had three that had to be killed before victory. Stylistically it doesn't sound much different than some strange combination of pokemn and magic, but it played quite smoothely and never felt like a rip-off of either-a trait that cannot be said about most TCG's, whether they r good or not

gorditobandito on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Star Wars ccg. Not the one put out by Wizards, the one BEFORE that, put out by Decipher. Very deep gameplay, actual tactics based on the cards in play as well as deck design, allowing for randomness, but also modified by the cards put into the deck. It was a thing of beauty. It had its problems as well, mostly having too many cards that countered specific other cards, but it was still fun and good.

Vs. is a good system as well, but I only have a few cards, since I couldn't bring myself to get back into a tcg again.

Magic was a good system at the start, but has become worse and worse with each expansion - not because the new sets are of worse quality than the old ones, but because wizards has NO IDEA how to balance new cards with the old ones, thus rendering most of them useless.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I loved Shadowfist, for the month or two I got to play it. Same with Magi Nation. I never even got to play WoW more than once...but, damn, the cards came in some nice boxes. Magic is always an on and off thing, but, right now I'm enjoying the Bleach game with a friend.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FishpantsFishpants Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    I've played Magic for a long time, but without a good group to play with my attention has waned. People play it everywhere, which is awesome, but I miss sitting around a coffee shop drafting with friends in the middle of the night. UFS seems alright, and I enjoy the fighting game references, but I can't get into it. Over the summer I played some Anachronism and really, really like that. The games go by quickly and have a nice skirmish feel that hits the spot GW games used to. That said, my favorite TCG right now is The Spoils, by far. Something like Magic crossed with an RTS. It's turn based, but still, resource management is key. Combat is intricate. With so many decisions to be made, my head hurts, in a good way. After playing it, I have a hard time going back to Magic.

Fishpants on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic is pretty nice, but I think the most fun I had was with Legend of Five Rings. It scaled up to larger games nicely, and you had a lot of interesting win conditions. The worst I've ever played was Star Wars. You really had to have $600+ to play in a tournament, and most of the game was the two sides avoiding each other trying to get the best drain out, with the occasional spygasm.

Pb on
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Star Wars ccg. Not the one put out by Wizards, the one BEFORE that, put out by Decipher. Very deep gameplay, actual tactics based on the cards in play as well as deck design, allowing for randomness, but also modified by the cards put into the deck. It was a thing of beauty. It had its problems as well, mostly having too many cards that countered specific other cards, but it was still fun and good.

great system. Although you really did have to track down specefic cards to counter and enable most things. I really wish I hadn't sold mine, there's a group of guys that still play this version at my local shop.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The star wars ccg died in my area long before it kicked it in everywhere else. I was hoping to play it but I've never actually met anyone that has cards/knows how to play. It looked interesting since I like space things.

MtG I used to love, but there's several reasons I don't care for it anylonger.
    -"3 sets and you have to update your entire collection for tournements"
    -"I spent spent thousands on my cards and therefore I win gg"
    (and as much as people say otherwise, a game where your ability to win only matches your compulsive buying, as opposed to your actual skill level, isn't exactly that great)
    -$$$

I really had hoped to try out deadlands, but no one around me really cares to learn. It seems interesting anyways.

I did try the Warhammer40k ccg, and wasn't really impressed with how the game was setup, though I did like the contention over sites rather than just back and forth attacking. The old Battletech game was fun, but that never took off in my area, even though again, I liked the mechanics of it and the contention over sites.

Lately the only one I touch is via webcam games with a friend of mine with the Eve ccg. It's sad but I like that more than the mmo, only problem is I'm like the only person that plays the damn thing in the valley. Essentially I love games which introduce a bit more decision making to what/how to attack than just going at your opponent. Eve uses regions which each give specific bonuses and drawbacks, whether to yourself or your opponent. It's a lot of fun since the game goes back and forth I find, much moreso than magic. It's small though in set size and player base, and I wouldn't have bought any if it hadn't been 1/2 off. (not really, but they fucked up the register heh)

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jyhad / Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Vampire cards are awesome. The rest of the game is cool too.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Actually I have a question if anyone knows. It's not exactly a tcg, but does anyone remember the Star Trek dice game? Where your ship functions were on dice or something?

It seemed really interesting, but I don't think it caught on, and (once again) not a single store in my area sold it, so I never saw more than a couple ads in magazines before it disappeared.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    The worst I've ever played was Star Wars. You really had to have $600+ to play in a tournament, and most of the game was the two sides avoiding each other trying to get the best drain out, with the occasional spygasm.

Eh, you could say that first complaint about pretty much any system, at least of any of the ones I played. And while the second is true, I view that as a strength - it allowed for some pretty varied strategies. My friends and I usually ended our games with one gigantic space battle, seeing who could shoot down each other's ships faster, but I could also have made a deck based just around hiding in an asteroid field, trying to never actually engage the enemy.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The worst I've ever played is New World Order, the Steve Jackson Illuminati CCG. It was terrible because its like it was designed to make you completely run out of table space.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just to chime in:

Maybe it wasn't/isn't my "favorite" but the Aliens vs. Predator card game was lots of fun. I was at my (now ex) girlfriend's house and her brother's friend brings over the alien movies and we are all watching them. I ended up showing them the game since I had bought it years before and everyone loved it so we played 3 or 4 times a week and had a blast. If I recall we ended up modifying some of the rules since I was teaching them the game from memory and when I consulted the rulebook the next day realized I was off about a few things. Rather than try to show them everything all over again, it was simpler to just go with the "wrong" rules. Turned out pretty well.

I was hoping the recent AvP movies would revive an interest in the game, or someone else try their hand at it...

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    FishpantsFishpants Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    Hayasa wrote: »
    The worst I've ever played is New World Order, the Steve Jackson Illuminati CCG. It was terrible because its like it was designed to make you completely run out of table space.

Damn, I love that game.

Fishpants on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The worst I've ever played was Star Wars. You really had to have $600+ to play in a tournament, and most of the game was the two sides avoiding each other trying to get the best drain out, with the occasional spygasm.

Eh, you could say that first complaint about pretty much any system, at least of any of the ones I played. And while the second is true, I view that as a strength - it allowed for some pretty varied strategies. My friends and I usually ended our games with one gigantic space battle, seeing who could shoot down each other's ships faster, but I could also have made a deck based just around hiding in an asteroid field, trying to never actually engage the enemy.

I really liked the Star Wars CCG back when it was owned by Decipher. The thing with force drain is that it really wasn't that hard to counter. As far as price goes, I suppose you could spend that much and make a ridiculously powerful deck, but there were also cheaper cards that made a deck of stormtroopers playable.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I never saw a stormtrooper deck beat a good deck. Never. At least in Magic you can do well if you play to the metagame and look for cheap counters, but that always got tricky when I went from playing local tournaments to larger ones where I didn't know what people trended towards.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Even if the cheap decks in Star Wars never really became tournament viable, I really liked Decipher for at least trying. They would release new cards to beef up old ones, if those strategies started to become weak. The Special Edition set especially saw lots of boosts for things like stormtroopers, tie fighters, tusken raiders, even jawas.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I saw a Kingdom Hearts deck for sale at GameStop a few hours ago.

Do I even want to know what that entails?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Havn't had a chance to do a game store run lately to pick some up, but the rules/game itself look pretty decent. Vastly better than any of the other crappy shovelware TCG's that have come out lately.

The game itself was done by Fantasy Flight, which isn't exactly a small name. They do the A Game of Thrones one as well.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Havn't had a chance to do a game store run lately to pick some up, but the rules/game itself look pretty decent. Vastly better than any of the other crappy shovelware TCG's that have come out lately.

The game itself was done by Fantasy Flight, which isn't exactly a small name. They do the A Game of Thrones one as well.
    It's not actually designed by Fantasy Flight though, they're just licensing it from whoever it is that makes it in Japan.

wateyad on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    wateyad wrote: »
    It's not actually designed by Fantasy Flight though, they're just licensing it from whoever it is that makes it in Japan.

Oh, right, duh. This is why I shouldn't be posting at 2 AM, because I forget things like that. :lol: Brain no workie.

If it does well, they probably *will* have to start designing, since I thought I read somewhere only fourish sets came out in Japan.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never played anything except for Magic, but I remember a while ago I bought some cards for a Marvel CCG, but I never actually learned how to play.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I may look into this Kingdom Hearts business, but I will be considerably annoyed if the third TCG I've ever tried turns out to be another one that no one plays.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No big love for Legend of the Five Rings? I'm shocked and appalled. During the story arc of the original editions (Imperial, Emerald, and Pearl, I think) there was nothing better on the market. Awesome card art, sophisticated mechanics that actually penalized you for playing with poor manners, huge multiplayer games, unique and distinct army styles, and a totally badass setting.

Unfortunately, Hidden Emporer and it's bullshit "episode system" fucked everything up royally, and Alderac losing the game to WotC didn't help. Then the IOC decided to wave it's dick all over the game for violating their "copyright" on anything with five interlocking rings, and they had to change the card backs, which is always the fastest way to kill off a CCG.

I know it's still technically in production and somebody, somewhere must still play it, but I haven't seen the game in years. Which sucks, because I would LOVE to bust out my Unicorn again for one last ride off into the sunset.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I used to play Lo5R, but I dropped it when they jumped forward in time because the interest in my area dropped. I still loved my Dragon decks, especially when Unicorn players would attack Iron Mountain without actually reading what it did.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Then the IOC decided to wave it's dick all over the game for violating their "copyright" on anything with five interlocking rings, and they had to change the card backs, which is always the fastest way to kill off a CCG.

...You know the old backed cards are still usable, right? They just need to be sleeved, but as long as it's been re-printed in a later edition so it's legal, it's all good.
    I know it's still technically in production and somebody, somewhere must still play it, but I haven't seen the game in years. Which sucks, because I would LOVE to bust out my Unicorn again for one last ride off into the sunset.

Oh, yeah, it's had a big flare-up with Samurai Edition (since it's the cleanest version of the rules thus far, and extremely focused), and the Race for the Throne (A massive, two-year long meta-mega-game to determine the next Emperor). Maybe check out the Stronghold Stores list to see if there's a shop in your area?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Then the IOC decided to wave it's dick all over the game for violating their "copyright" on anything with five interlocking rings, and they had to change the card backs, which is always the fastest way to kill off a CCG.

...You know the old backed cards are still usable, right? They just need to be sleeved, but as long as it's been re-printed in a later edition so it's legal, it's all good.

Oh, yeah, it's had a big flare-up with Samurai Edition (since it's the cleanest version of the rules thus far, and extremely focused), and the Race for the Throne (A massive, two-year long meta-mega-game to determine the next Emperor). Maybe check out the Stronghold Stores list to see if there's a shop in your area?

I know my old stuff is still legal, the deal was trying to find people to play with.

I will check that link out, though.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I never saw a stormtrooper deck beat a good deck. Never. At least in Magic you can do well if you play to the metagame and look for cheap counters, but that always got tricky when I went from playing local tournaments to larger ones where I didn't know what people trended towards.

Eh, I had pretty good luck with it. I remember on more than one occasion beating people down in a single battle due to a few choice interrupts. There was one out there (I'm pretty sure it was a common too) that made them power 3 and made them immune to attrition. Plus you could deploy them as a react if you had a card at that location with ability 3 or >.

It was pretty easy to bait someone into a "quick & easy" battle only to surprise the hell out of them.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't play any TCGs because they're too expensive. When my gaming group decided to play WoW, we ended up making a limit. 3 boosters every weekend (sometimes drafted, sometimes not), and then a fourth booster that got opened after we played. First place got first pick, second got second and so on, so that everyone had about the same collection. This was pretty cool, except one person got stuck for a bit because someone else decided to also play a warrior deck, and while most people seemed to understand why we did it, a few people didn't seem to understand--especially the guy that bought like eight starters and a ton of boosters instead of seeing what got posted on our (now defunct) private forums.

That said...

Deciphers Star Wars CCG is probably my favorite, even though I only played it very very little. Because the currency was the cards, so many cards got moved around in some strange arcane fashion (before I learned to play) into individual stacks that made the game look really cool when people were playing it. Plus the backs of the cards looked classy as well. I wouldn't call CCGs a spectator event by any means, but at least it didn't look lame.

I wanted to get into L5R, but nobody else would, except one guy who agreed to buy a starter if I would, and then subsequently didn't until three months later when I had lost the deck and ceased to care. I still kind of want to play, but no big deal really.

I'd like more good CGs that aren't TCGs. Bang! is a very fantastic and awesome game. I also wouldn't mind something that played similar to WoW or Magic, but not so focused on the collectible aspect. Ah well.

piL on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm glad some people mentioned SW:CCG. I was so big into that back in the day. I loved the complexity. I even busted out my cards the other night and taught my girlfriend how to play. The way they designed it makes it feel very star wars-ish. The last expansion I bought was the Death Star 2 expansion set, which I think was right before Decipher lost the license to Wizards.

Were the subsequent expansion they released very quickly unbalanced? Or would I do good to try and track down some of the cards?

Or are there any other interesting CCGs to try? I was thinking of WoW, but a guy I worked with didn't like it.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    I'm glad some people mentioned SW:CCG. I was so big into that back in the day. I loved the complexity. I even busted out my cards the other night and taught my girlfriend how to play. The way they designed it makes it feel very star wars-ish. The last expansion I bought was the Death Star 2 expansion set, which I think was right before Decipher lost the license to Wizards.

Were the subsequent expansion they released very quickly unbalanced? Or would I do good to try and track down some of the cards?

Or are there any other interesting CCGs to try? I was thinking of WoW, but a guy I worked with didn't like it.

You know how the Star Wars prequels ruined the original trilogy? I'll just leave it at that.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »

You know how the Star Wars prequels ruined the original trilogy? I'll just leave it at that.

That's what I figured. Decipher made a lot of statements about how they weren't going to integrate new trilogy stuff into the game. And, well they had about a year to make as much money as humanly possible on the license, so I figured all the cards weren't playtested, like at all.

Is the new Star Wars game as popular(or as good) as the old one? I'm pretty sure before Pokemon came out, SWCCG had the second highest marketshare behind Magic.

YodaTuna on