As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

tv in -30C all night?

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Is there any risk in damaging a tv if I leave it in a car overnight in -30C? I'm guessing it will be ok, but want to make sure.

chuck steak on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    It sounds like you have no choice. I think it should survive - the car's insides should be slightly warmer.

Just let it sit for a while (preferablly a day) before plugging it in once you get it inside.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I can leave it inside tonight, but then I won't have my dad around to help me.

It's not an lcd or plasma btw. It's a pretty new and nice regular tv though. Not sure if it's a tube or what (are regular tv's anything but?).

chuck steak on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From googling minimum CRT storage temps it looks like -30 should be fine. But I echo what FyreWulff says, let it sit a good long time before plugging it in, you'll have some condensation form and you want to wait for that to evaporate.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also be aware of how delicate the plastic housing will be when it's so thoroughly frozen. Be very, very careful when moving it from the car after the night is over - even a slight bump could cause some major cracking/shattering.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you're leaving it in the car, just start the car up and run the heater for a little while before you move it in the morning. Just enough to get it to a more regular temperature. Then take it inside and leave it there for a while before turning the TV on.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    If you're leaving it in the car, just start the car up and run the heater for a little while before you move it in the morning. Just enough to get it to a more regular temperature. Then take it inside and leave it there for a while before turning the TV on.

That would take longer than you seem to think, long enough to make it a noteworthy waste of gas. As long as you handle it carefully when moving it there's nothing to worry about.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh? How long does it take for a car's cooling system to warm up from that temperature? In a non-frozen environment it should take less than 5 minutes, and even if it took 20 minutes I'd say it's worth it to avoid damaging the TV.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Oh? How long does it take for a car's cooling system to warm up from that temperature? In a non-frozen environment it should take less than 5 minutes, and even if it took 20 minutes I'd say it's worth it to avoid damaging the TV.

The first part varies depending on the car but some cars it is 20 minutes or more, and that when actually driving it instead of just letting it idle. The part where after that, the car's heater warms the parts of the TV that are the most delicate when cold is like to be another 20 minutes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'll take your word for it. I would still call the cost of 30-45 minutes of gas a cheap investment in not breaking the TV.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The biggest risk is condensation.

The second biggest problem is warming it up too quick.

Both work together to mean you are going to need to leave it inside the house at room temperature for a long time.

Few hours, maybe more. depends on a whole load of things, like the size of the TV, the type of materials, ventilation etc.

I mean, if there is no alternative to leaving it in the car, and you arent desperate to use it soon after, Id be ultra careful and leave it for a day.

i had a small form factor Pc I left in my car overnight a while back (mind you, this was british nights so just below freezing, not -30) and even after a good 6 hours inside it still was condensation inside, little beads of moisture on the surface of stuff. I dont think you can open up the TV as easily to check either.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I work for the A/V department on campus and we leave CRTs in the vans overnight all the time. We let them sit a minimum of six hours before using them once they're back inside. Like someone said, just be careful of the plastic bezels because they do become much more brittle.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there any risk in damaging a tv if I leave it in a car overnight in -30C? I'm guessing it will be ok, but want to make sure.

If it is a CRT, you will probably be fine.

LCD/Plasma, might want to check the manufacturers website on that one.

As other people have said, be careful carrying it in, and let it reach room temperature and let it sit for a while before you plug it up.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If your television is not Plasma or LCD then it IS either CRT or Projection

CRT or Projection should be okay with the warmup time others have mentioned.
    LCD or Plasma would not survive well.

Just be certain of what type of television it is before proceeding.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure LCD would be just fine, assuming it had a good long warm-up period. I'm more sure plasma would be. CRT there's no reason why it wouldn't be that I can think of.

Also how can you not be sure if a TV is CRT or LCD/Plasma? CRT televisions are like three times the size and twice the weight.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    the problem with heating it up in the car is that as you transport it from the car into the house, it's just going to lose the heat again, especially in sub-zero temps. Also, it'll condensate and then that condensation is going to freeze.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, it's a CRT. It is heavy as fuck.

Anyways, I was able to leave it inside last night. It ended up just sitting in the car for about a half hour after got home today before I brought it in. So should I be able to fire it up right away or should I still let it sit for an hour or two?

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You should be okay.

As long as the television isn't freezing to the touch don't worry.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks that it will be perfectly fine in the morning, even if he hooks it up right away without heating it up, putting it through a series of rigorous, time consuming stress tests, etc?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I would be willing to share your opinion if you would tell me what exactly you are basing your facts on?

Because condensation and electrical shortage are scientifically known occurrences.
    "I think it should be fine" sounds like a gut-based opinion.

Captain Vash on