As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NAZI ON!] Turning Point: Fall of Liberty - 56k go away

SnowbeatSnowbeat i need somethingto kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty

turningpoint_2.jpg

Title: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Genre: FPS
Platforms: PC (will be released on GameTap), Xbox 360, PS3
Developer/Publisher: Spark Unlimited/Codemasters
Release Date: February 26, 2008

Another WWII game?

Well, yes. But different!

It's 1944. Pearl Harbor never happens, so the United States sticks to its isolationist policy and does not enter the war in Europe. Britain fights on alone, but has no strong leadership, as Churchill dies in New York in the '30s. After Britain's surrender, Germany quickly mops up the rest of Europe and most of Africa and Asia. With the eastern hemisphere under their jackbooted heel, the Nazi forces turn their hungry eyes on America...

It's 1952. You're Dan Carson, a construction engineer in New York City. You're on the job one day when you hear an explosion. What the hell...

turning-point-fall-of-liberty-20070.jpg

HOLY SHIT!

So what?

Well, as WWII games go, it's a huge departure from the usual Normandy/Northern Africa/Stalingrad maps. You'll be fighting from the tops of skyscrapers to the streets of Washington D.C. and beyond!

turningpointfallofliberty_5_450.jpg

In addition, the game accounts for the fact that Germany has had plenty of time to advance their weapon technology. From VTOL-style zeppelins and blimps to Vampyr (a real-world experimental night vision scope) equipped rifles. Even a 4-million pound supertank mounted with a battleship cannon! Unfortunately, America has not kept up. You'll find Springfield bolt-action rifles, gangster-style Thompsons, and not much else.

screenshot_177392_thumb300.jpg

Bet you're gonna be the only one able to take them down, right?

Actually, no. According to the developers, your only goal is to survive the invaders' policy of total war (i.e. anything or anyone is a target). You will attempt to escape New York and start a guerilla army, but it's not that simple. Propaganda will blanket the landscape and as your friends and family are taken you will have to decide whether or not the ultimate goal is worth the cost.

Turning-Point--Fall-of-Liberty-1.jpg

You will be vastly outnumbered, outgunned, and underpowered throughout the course of the game. Ammunition is scarce, so you'll have to rely on hand-to-hand combat and crafty tactics to defeat your enemies. The game utilizes an advanced grappling system to simulate real melee combat. You can punch people in the face, take their guns, and then use them as human shields. You can grab them by their shirts and toss them over the edge of roofs. You can even utilize the enviroment by throwing enemies over tables, into debris, or onto sharp objects.

Sounds cool. But I don't want to be the lone wolf again.

You won't always be alone. You'll meet up with like-minded NPCs and fight together. But they're just trying to survive as well. They'll be watching you and they will leave if you endanger them.

Errr... multiplayer?

Turning Point will feature deathmatch and team deathmatch at launch. There are plans to make more modes and maps available online if the multiplayer proves popular. Spark Unlimited is focusing on making a strong singleplayer component.

What's under the hood?

Turning Point utilizes a modified version of Unreal Engine 3.

New! Trailers, Previews and Screenshot Links!

GameSpot trailers
New trailer released December 12!

IGN screenshots

IGN Developer Blog!

I hope I did this right.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this game. I've waited for a WWII game that tries something new for so long.

EDIT: Updated. New trailers and screenshot links.

Q1e6oi8.gif
Snowbeat on

• Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Reminds me of Freedom Fighters.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In addition, the game accounts for the fact that Germany has had plenty of time to advance their weapon technology. From VTOL-style zeppelins and blimps to Vampyr (a real-world experimental night vision scope) equipped rifles. Even a 4-million pound supertank mounted with a battleship cannon! Unfortunately, America has not kept up. You'll find Springfield bolt-action rifles, gangster-style Thompsons, and not much else.

The implications of any sense of realism... they do not belong in this thread. It will attract historians and bad things shall result.

Seriously, they don't NEED a reason for funky steampunk stuff. Just bring on the future-men and super tanks and leave the rest to the player.

subedii on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've played the first level of this game and ... eh, shooting parachuting Nazis was fun for some time, but the game really didn't impress me a whole lot. It was a pretty generic FPS in my eyes, and I don't remember the graphics looking as good as in those screenshots.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MantraMantra Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait...when is this out?

EDIT: Just saw the release date.

This game has my attention. Even though germany would NEVER have beaten England.* :P

*May not be true.

Mantra on
    Mantra2k.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mantra wrote: »
    Wait...when is this out?

EDIT: Just saw the release date.

This game has my attention. Even though germany would NEVER have beaten England.* :P

*May not be true.

They would have been no match for the home cricket team!

subedii on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fastest Godwin ever!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well, they are Nazis.

and I hate those guys etc.

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This really looks like a fun game and I can't wait to play it.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love the "what if" scenarios that they are putting into games lately. World in Conflict had a really good "what if" situation, and this game sounds like it's pretty close to that as well.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I love the "what if" scenarios that they are putting into games lately. World in Conflict had a really good "what if" situation, and this game sounds like it's pretty close to that as well.

"What if" was the reason I played Ring of Red, and it's going to be the reason I play this as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    *Points at Avatar*

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Definitely looks like it has potential, and as said earlier, looks reminscent of Freedom Fighters except with Nazis instead of Soviets. I'm going to guess that it's only similar thematically, though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well everything sounds awesome about this game

A little too awesome

This "grappling system" they have, do we have any solid details on that? And what about the AI? "They'll leave if you endanger them?" What does that mean?

I've been burned too many times by developer claims to trust features that sound so great

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sorry man, I'm basically reposting stuff from previews and developer interviews. I don't know much more than you do.

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »
    Reminds me of Freedom Fighters.

Short, but telling. If we can't have Freedom Fighters 2*, this looks to be welcome in its stead :^:

* - still waiting on that, I don't care if it's completely off the table or if it never really had a chance, I will wait as long as it takes.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Seems like the same over the top style as Red Alert. Me likes and consider me interested.

Echo on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You guys know what would have been really cool if they had put the time into it? Any game made with the unreal engine 3 could easily have their files changed about with other games from an unreal engine 3 title.

I don't know, but killing Nazis with Plasmids or a flak cannon just sounds like damn good fun to me.

Or Big Daddies with flak cannons.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    err, no offense Lucky Cynic, but I do believe that each unique Unreal Engine 3 game use textures that conform to drastically different codes.

I mean, I'm sure it's possible to modify the textures and geometry to work in a different game, but you would have a hell of a time making plasmids work.

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    err, no offense Lucky Cynic, but I do believe that each unique Unreal Engine 3 game use textures that conform to drastically different codes.

I mean, I'm sure it's possible to modify the textures and geometry to work in a different game, but you would have a hell of a time making plasmids work.

I was just saying, that would be a great way to experiment and fuck around with game play.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does look quite reminiscent of RA2, in a good way.

L|ama on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, they got actual swastikas in there? I haven't seen that since Wolfenstein

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just want to point out: I'm still interested. Please continue thread.

urahonky on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm guessing it's probably not going to be sold in Germany like that, Cherrn.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    For some reason it's being marketed as a "upbeat" style of WWII game (campy, along the lines of Freedom Fighters), but the developer interviews make it sound very gritty and dark.

if they decide to sell it in Germany, they'll probably just replace the swastika texture.

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    For some reason it's being marketed as a "upbeat" style of WWII game (campy, along the lines of Freedom Fighters), but the developer interviews make it sound very gritty and dark.

if they decide to sell it in Germany, they'll probably just replace the swastika texture.

IIRC Wolfenstein just replaced them with circles instead.

Things like game violence are a pretty hot topic in Germany anyway, in general the public aren't really too keen on videogame violence. In Team Fortress 2 for example, gibbing someone results in an explosion of springs, wheels and rubber ducky's. I have to admit, that's one of the more novel and fitting solutions to the issue I've seen. Given the context if I had seen that version first, I probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid, whereas the first time I saw someone gibbed in TF2 it was actually jarring for me seeing blood like that in such a cartoony 'Tex Avery' looking game.

/offtopic. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Updated with screenshot and trailer links.

I can understand this thread's hibernation; Spark Unlimited has released very little info about the game. I'll keep this topic updated until we receive the inevitable media blitz in January/February

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So a demo has come and gone and it was terrible, according to that thread. The game itself was also released sometime over the last few days to little fanfare. The only place I was able to read any impressions was on Gamefaqs (I know, I know...) and the nicest comments I've seen is that it's mediocre at best.

Most disappointing. It had a good setting.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was keeping a slither of hope that the PC version will (somehow) be magically different from the 360 version. But I'm not going to keep that anymore.

urahonky on