As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: RIGHT BUMPER IS THE MAKO CANNON LERN 2 REED

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Excellent, thanks guys.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would like to know where I can find the sidequest to
    escape the freighter with the Rachni.
    after you complete Noveria, Styx Theta should show up as a system you can visit. Go do the ground missions there (I think it's best if you start with the system on the left (don't remember the name). It'll chain into tracking down a hidden space base.

You might get to it just by doing the mission on the ground in the system on the right in Styx Theta, but I'm not sure. I've only ever done it my way, as it seems to be way that makes sense with the storylines presented.
    Cool, thanks!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I tried using TAli in my squad but I was still unable to hack the probes my first playthrough.

How... how does that happen?

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    I tried using TAli in my squad but I was still unable to hack the probes my first playthrough.

I had a similar problem early in my first playthrough. IIRC, the probes require Electronics. Up to that point, I'd only needed Decryption, so I'd focused on that for my techies. The few points I'd put into Electronics were insufficient to pop a probe I found.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure how it happened to me, but the squad levelling up as done automatically so I guess the AI put points into the wrong category.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So...
    Is there no Spectre armor? I haven't seen any. I hear there are Geth armors but, from what I hear, only for Krogan? And so far I've only collected a Geth assault rifle, anyone come across a Geth pistol/shotty/sniper rifle? That'd be neato.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I had a similar problem early in my first playthrough. IIRC, the probes require Electronics. Up to that point, I'd only needed Decryption, so I'd focused on that for my techies. The few points I'd put into Electronics were insufficient to pop a probe I found.

That and probes seem to require Hard electronics, which is a good 7-8 points into the skill. If you go out landing on UCWs right out of the citadel without doing some leveling you won't be able to pop the first couple you run across.

Had anyone else noticed that sometimes every Decryption in the game takes 7 presses, and other times every one only takes 3 presses? It should be 3-5-7 for easy-average-hard but it seems to set when you decrypt the first one after loading your game and just stick to 3 or 7. It's a pain in the ass.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

That and probes seem to require Hard electronics, which is a good 7-8 points into the skill. If you go out landing on UCWs right out of the citadel without doing some leveling you won't be able to pop the first couple you run across.

Had anyone else noticed that sometimes every Decryption in the game takes 7 presses, and other times every one only takes 3 presses? It should be 3-5-7 for easy-average-hard but it seems to set when you decrypt the first one after loading your game and just stick to 3 or 7. It's a pain in the ass.

the number of button presses is bugged. the first thing you open of a variety (survey and artifact recovery is one type, boxes/doors is another) sets the number of presses needed for the rest of that game session.

you still need the points to access the level (easy, average, hard), but you only have to do 3, 5, 7 (is there a 9? i stop counting) based on the first box you open that session.

i get lazy, cause the mini game was cute the first 3 times i played thru, the last 4 have been a bit old, and look specifically for an easy box to open on my load for that session. sometimes I'll save in front of an easy box for the next time.

clear as mud?

skippymchaggis on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    huh. ive never had to do seven presses. only 3 or 5.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure how it happened to me, but the squad levelling up as done automatically so I guess the AI put points into the wrong category.
    Wait... what?

You can level up each member of your party manually.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    yeah, but i'm too lazy.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thats really really lazy

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I know, but I'm not an RPG person normally. I don't like having to deal with screens upon screens of numbers and slots. Besides, the squad spends most its time dead anyway.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know, but I'm not an RPG person normally. I don't like having to deal with screens upon screens of numbers and slots. Besides, the squad spends most its time dead anyway.

Well that's why you deal with the screens.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's not like they stay dead so that's a win-win for me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm thinking of making my insanity run as a new engineer (as opposed to a game +) with the goal of getting the asari ally achievement.

What do you guys think? Too insane? Not insane enough?

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Try attempting insanity with an adept.

And not a new game + run either. It's pretty hilarious.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've asked the same thing Mel, and I got not reply. I think it probably is. I started a new run with an Adept on Hardcore, and it wasn't until level 20 that I could even win fights. I think Engineer would be even worse, even more so when you're rushing off to get fucked up by Armatures and a krogan Battlemaster.

That being said, I'm going to try it too. But I think I'm going to have to give up and get the insanity achievement with a new game+ speedrun with my Adept, and get Asari ally on my Engineer run that is on a lower difficulty.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I've heard about this 'Rich' achievement.

How much money can you accumulate in this game? I thought they'd stop you at 1 million credits, since that seems to be as high up as the game's money counter goes.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    So I've heard about this 'Rich' achievement.

How much money can you accumulate in this game? I thought they'd stop you at 1 million credits, since that seems to be as high up as the game's money counter goes.

9999999 credits is the max.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Is the Rich achievement the one where you have to accumulate 1 million credits?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    indeed

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do you have to possess 1M at one time, or just get 1M over time?

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Do you have to possess 1M at one time, or just get 1M over time?

You have to have one million credits at one time.

It's honestly not very hard. You should have it by the time your levels are in the mid-30's. XP and money drops scale up as you level, so you'll start raking in the credits like there's no tomorrow. It just takes a while to get to that point and before then, credits are a scarce commodity.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, thanks.
    Another quick question. Casting the bio and techs, then? Is it all in one save or overall? Also, is it just Shepard's ones or the whole team's?

Repeat question with kills and weapons.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, thanks.
    Another quick question. Casting the bio and techs, then? Is it all in one save or overall? Also, is it just Shepard's ones or the whole team's?

The only kills and ability uses that matter are Shepard's and it's a universal count carrying over all characters and saves.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Jesus Christ, those 2 assassins in front of Chora's Den were kicking my ass all the way back to the local cluster.

I had to coordinate my Singularity with Kaidan's Throw to put one of them over the edge and in the high-speed traffic of the citadel transit system. Looked like some action movie sequence.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    snow+jammed radar= I don't know where the fuck I'm going

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alright, something is up.

I've had both Wrex and Tali in my party since the moment that they became available, respectively.

I've gotten the Quarian achievemtn, but still no Krogan achievement.

What gives?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

The only kills and ability uses that matter are Shepard's and it's a universal count carrying over all characters and saves.

One last question: How the hell do you get the Hardcore and Insanity medals? I've unlocked Hardcore by finishing Normal, but if I use my "existing ID" I start the game at Normal and the achievement clearly specifies that you must not change your setting ever. I tried going back to the main menu, changing the difficulty there, saving the settings, then using my existing ID, but even then I was at normal when the game began. Am I missing something there?

Djiem on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, thanks.

One last question: How the hell do you get the Hardcore and Insanity medals? I've unlocked Hardcore by finishing Normal, but if I use my "existing ID" I start the game at Normal and the achievement clearly specifies that you must not change your setting ever. I tried going back to the main menu, changing the difficulty there, saving the settings, then using my existing ID, but even then I was at normal when the game began. Am I missing something there?

You can change the difficulty before landing on Eden Prime with no penalty. Just switch it to Hardcore as soon as you get control.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, thanks.

To get the achievement, you have to change the difficulty before you investigate the beacon on Eden Prime.

EDIT: Beaten! So close!

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, thanks.

You can change the difficulty before landing on Eden Prime with no penalty. Just switch it to Hardcore as soon as you get control.

Gotcha.
    Thanks for the quick and helpful answers, guys.

Djiem on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just finished Astronomy class, and I'm impressed with the writing on the planets you find. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the explanation of Mass Effect. It got really good until it goes something like "it harnesses the power of the super mysterious element zero LOLZ" They say it is collected from Neutron Stars and Pulsars. Dark Energy was super difficult in Astronomy class. WIMPS this and MACHOS that and Brown Dwarfs blah blah blah... Or does anyone have a better explanation?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    does anyone have a better explanation?

It's just a damn sci fi story in a game.

They're as good with science as they can be, but ultimately when you're dealing with faster than light travel, and super powers, you're going to need to make some shit up.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just finished Astronomy class, and I'm impressed with the writing on the planets you find. The only thing I'm disappointed in is the explanation of Mass Effect. It got really good until it goes something like "it harnesses the power of the super mysterious element zero LOLZ" They say it is collected from Neutron Stars and Pulsars. Dark Energy was super difficult in Astronomy class. WIMPS this and MACHOS that and Brown Dwarfs blah blah blah... Or does anyone have a better explanation?

It's a game.

Seriously, I don't know. I guess you need some suspension of disbelief. This game really reminds me of some 80s sci-fi space movie, especially with that song for the credits.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A Reaper did it.

Harrier on
  • Options
    bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bakatrinh wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I tried looking on the bottom left box and couldn't make out if there were numbers, some of the fonts in this game are really small. One more question, when I hack something (that simon says mini game) do I get unlimited tries if I fail? After I messed up the first time, I can't press A to retry it.

Just adding a bit to the answers you've already received.

Don't get too caught up in trying to figure everything out right off the bat, because all the information you seek certainly isn't in the instruction manual nor available in-game via tutorials. There's a lot going on in this game and it takes a while to get comfortable with everything from the U.I. to combat to inventory management. You'll eventually settle into a zone once you get a few hours under your belt and everything will click, then you'll really start having fun with Mass Effect (especially the combat--it's a blast when you really get a good feel for it). On the plus side, there are enough side quests and areas to explore to give you plenty of time to get comfortable without even touching most of the main quest.

Even after that, you'll be picking up on little things here and there--just the other night I figured out that when a character's health bar starts flashing green, it means that character has been poisoned/irradiated which, y'know, is a good thing to know since that shit sucks.

Yeah, I understand now. When I first hopped on the mako, it had the most arkward control and I was frustrated after dying to the turrets about 10 times. I thought the cannon (RB button) was using the catapult mechanic so I kept adjusting my vehicle at the right distance from the enemy to shoot the cannon at them. Then I found out it hits whatever target you are highlighting and that's when I started having fun again killing enemies much faster.

One problem I have with the game though is the poor button layout. I wish I could customize the control a little. Like making the Back button open up the map and making the X button shoot grenades. I don't know why the X button makes you draw your weapon when pressing the Right Trigger does the same thing, or even make tapping the LB draw your weapons while holding it lets you change your weapon. That way the B button can be opened up to some other useful function.

Still though I'm having fun with the game so far. Really good story and dialogue, some choppy frames here and there but the graphics look really good.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the info. Yeah I tried looking on the bottom left box and couldn't make out if there were numbers, some of the fonts in this game are really small. One more question, when I hack something (that simon says mini game) do I get unlimited tries if I fail? After I messed up the first time, I can't press A to retry it.

Just adding a bit to the answers you've already received.

Don't get too caught up in trying to figure everything out right off the bat, because all the information you seek certainly isn't in the instruction manual nor available in-game via tutorials. There's a lot going on in this game and it takes a while to get comfortable with everything from the U.I. to combat to inventory management. You'll eventually settle into a zone once you get a few hours under your belt and everything will click, then you'll really start having fun with Mass Effect (especially the combat--it's a blast when you really get a good feel for it). On the plus side, there are enough side quests and areas to explore to give you plenty of time to get comfortable without even touching most of the main quest.

Even after that, you'll be picking up on little things here and there--just the other night I figured out that when a character's health bar starts flashing green, it means that character has been poisoned/irradiated which, y'know, is a good thing to know since that shit sucks.

Yeah, I understand now. When I first hopped on the mako, it had the most arkward control and I was frustrated after dying to the turrets about 10 times. I thought the cannon (RB button) was using the catapult mechanic so I kept adjusting my vehicle at the right distance from the enemy to shoot the cannon at them. Then I found out it hits whatever target you are highlighting and that's when I started having fun again killing enemies much faster.

One problem I have with the game though is the poor button layout. I wish I could customize the control a little. Like making the Back button open up the map and making the X button shoot grenades. I don't know why the X button makes you draw your weapon when pressing the Right Trigger does the same thing, or even make tapping the LB draw your weapons while holding it lets you change your weapon. That way the B button can be opened up to some other useful function.

Still though I'm having fun with the game so far. Really good story and dialogue, some choppy frames here and there but the graphics look really good.

Because then you'd have 50 people coming in here asking "HOW DO I SHOT WEAPONS? THIS GAME SUCKS I KEEP DYING"

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seriously though, does X actually do anything?

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.