As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ways to improve my math skills for the SAT.

JastJast Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I really stink at math, I mean I barely passed Algebra I and am struggling with Geometry. I want to take the SAT and I've got the reading skills area of the test taken care of. I'm good at that part, but I suck at math. Does anyone know any learning centers or sites that can help me improve my SAT math skills. I want to get at least a 600 on the math portion of the test.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Hunt down books full of practice tests at your local Borders. Take them, and learn your strengths and weaknesses, then work from there.

How much time do you have? Because if your SAT is in, like, two weeks, you're boned. Also, if you're really just plain bad at math, I'm not sure a 600 is realistic. There's a difference, though, between "I'm bad at math" and "I never bothered paying attention in class and now I know squat."

But if you have several months' time and you're willing to really work at it, you should be able to improve your score.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The SAT is completely game-able. I'm terrible at math, but good at taking tests, and with doing enough prep I got a 650. The books are fine, but what I really recommend is paying lots of $$ for a prep course - if you have trouble taking standardized tests, that will help a lot more than a book will. I wish I had spent more time and money on the SAT, and you can avoid the mistake of just using books.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My SAT is a long way off, thank goodness. I tried paying attention in class but I just can't seem to get math. 600 may be unrealistic, but I want to try to get that so I can still be in the competition for scholarships.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you barely passed algebra you're going to have to study very hard and possibly get a tutor if you want a 600+. Personally, I don't think it's attainable in your case.

EDIT: Don't stress out about the Math, you can counter a low math with a high Verbal and Essay portion too don't forget.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TahldonTahldon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Being as though I have the very same problem you do, I've always been told "Just sit down and study study study, even if you're bad at it, do it alot and you'll eventually get good at it. Write out everything you're thinking about to make sure that you're getting the right answers."

Maybe that'll work better for you, because I had a hard time with it. It only helped a tiny bit. I just don't have the capacity for math like a lot of people. I skated out of Geometry by the skin of my teeth with a D+. I'm strickly an Arts and English type. I can't count to save my life. I still count on my fingers, honestly. Other than studying hard and going slowly as you do your problems is the only way I can say will help you most. Also, if you write out every little thing you do off to the side. It's time consuming, but for me (someone who is aweful with numbers), that was the only way I skated by.

Numbers are numbers. One could write the wrong number and you do all of this calculating and can -still- come out with -an- answer. As opposed to writing a sentence. If you put a word in a sentence that is clearly out of context, it'll jack up the whole sentence. At least by the standards of proper grammar.

Hopefully what I've said helps you out a little.

Tahldon on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Hey OP,

I was in a (relatively) similar situation. I had some family/medical problems that caused me to miss almost all of 10th grade geometry. Ergo on my PSAT I got like 700+ in verbal but under 500 in math. My advice if you're completely ignorant of the theorems and practices is to have it explained. No amount of reading from a book helped me out.

I didn't even get a tutor. One of my Chinese friends and I made an agreement- I'd help him with verbal, he'd help me with math. I went from a 480 in Math to an 800 in math over the summer. It's not that I got smarter or anything- I just had it explained to me by someone I trusted in a way I could understand.

Whether or not you can afford a paid tutor, my advice 100% is to get someone who can explain it to you and not just read it to you, dryly, from a book.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Books are a fine way to learn maths is you find the right one.

My advice to you is to go to the books and go through the examples and scribble all over them with notes in order to understand what they do step to step.

Then go do the questions and try to apply the example and the theories you have unlocked to the question.

The two important things to do in maths is one, LAY EVERYTHING OUT SO YOU CAN GET PART MARKS.

If you just write the answer and it's wrong you don't get any marks, if you show working you will get part marks.

Break everything down into easily disgestable chunks. If the question is too large see if you can simplify it or break it down into parts. All you need to do is remember how to apply techniques to questions.

Also practice practice practice.

Blake T on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    Books are a fine way to learn maths is you find the right one.

My advice to you is to go to the books and go through the examples and scribble all over them with notes in order to understand what they do step to step.

Then go do the questions and try to apply the example and the theories you have unlocked to the question.

The two important things to do in maths is one, LAY EVERYTHING OUT SO YOU CAN GET PART MARKS.

If you just write the answer and it's wrong you don't get any marks, if you show working you will get part marks.

Break everything down into easily disgestable chunks. If the question is too large see if you can simplify it or break it down into parts. All you need to do is remember how to apply techniques to questions.

Also practice practice practice.

Sadly this will not work on the SAT because of America's love of multiple choice standardized bullshit. Unless the SAT has changed this since I took it 5 or 6 years ago, there is no partial credit. Though in real math classes, by all means do this. Please, as someone who graded papers for a year, giving people points and pointing out where they went wrong was always better than just looking at the thing, seeing the answer only and not having any reason to award credit, or any idea what the student did wrong so they could learn.

Anyway, the learning part of this post is good if you're someone who can do that kind of thing. It all depends what kind of learner you are. Personally, I like teaching myself so I would sit down with a book and learn it if I didn't have a good teacher. You might need someone to explain it to you to have it click. Presumably you know what works with you, and then go out and do it.

As for the SAT itself: all your usual standardized test rules apply. If you don't know what to do, rule out the ridiculous. With math, it's mostly simpler geometry and algebra questions. Especially in geometry, intuition and common sense is your friend. Don't trust pictures but think about the questions and the answers if you don't know the process their looking for. As was posted above, it's a gameable test. Ideally of course you learn the material, and for that there's going to be some hard work.

Absolute worst case: grab some SAT prep books and work through them, when you don't understand what to do and you don't have anyone to ask, this forum has a bunch of helpful math types who quite possibly spent far too long tutoring people in college (hi!). Just post your question and you'll probably get a bunch of helpful responses.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hunt down books full of practice tests at your local Borders. Take them, and learn your strengths and weaknesses, then work from there.

Most of these practice books will have at least a couple sample tests with fully explained answers, so you will get an idea of why you got certain problems wrong. They also tend to have sections on each type of question that work you through a few problems step by step. Any of the big name brands will have these things, like Kaplan or Princeton Review. Also, there are likely to be practice books exclusively for SAT math. Those books should be all you need. You should probably do at least 20 full practice tests. As other people have mentioned, it's not just about knowledge, but also test-taking skills, so cramming on practice tests will be good, as it addresses both these aspects.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As one who has never had problems with maths or sciences, I'm always a little weirded out when people say they can't grasp them or that they're just "not good" at them.

More often than not I suspect that if you're having trouble with a concept, its because you have not taken the time to fully comprehend a simpler concept.

For example, geometry is going to be a real bitch if you don't have your algebra down. Systems of equations are going to be tricky if you can't do addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on a dime. In high school, I struggled for a while in my calculus class because I hadn't taken the time to fully learn my trigonometry.

I would suggest starting with the very basics. Be honest with yourself; how quick are you with +,-,x, and / ? Can you perform those operations in your head if you're dealing with single digits? How about tens or hundreds?

A tutor is a very, very good idea. I would even try out a few different tutors if you can, until you find one that can really explain things in a way that works for you.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From what I've seen, the main problem with people who have trouble with math is they don't know how to study it. They'll try a question, get frustrated, look at the answer, goto the next question and just burn through a book without really learning anything. I'd suggest either getting a tutor or at least having someone that you can ask questions of and, if you don't have much willpower, prevents you from looking at the answers. Answers should only be compared against, never check the next step in a 'I don't remember what to do now'. If that's the case, go back over the concepts that you should be learning.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As previous posters have said, you're gonna want to do some book-studying and take a bunch of practice tests.

If you're having trouble with something specific, most definitely either look into a tutor or talk to a math teacher after school or after class or whatever. I agree with Organichu; in some cases I'll come across a concept in a book that I won't grasp no matter how much I read over it and do practice problems, and in those cases it's always been immensely helpful for me to have someone explain it, if only because in that sort of situation it's easy to have someone reword an explanation if thier initial one doesn't make sense to you.

Additionally, even though as has already been mentioned, you can't get partial credit by showing work, do it anyway. Write out every step you go through, no matter how trivial. My situation was a little different, since I personally have a pretty decent capacity for math, but for me this was the big thing that helped me out. Before doing this, I'd often pick up a wrong answer due to some stupid 'forgot to carry the two'-type error, and writing out even the simple, basic steps does a lot to help mitigate errors in mental arithmetic, as well as helping you keep your problem-solving process straight.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I agree that the only way to learn math is to do the sums, and with each and every step, make sure what you are doing. This is why I would favor getting a tutor, skilled friend or perhaps an extra class in school (whatever is available), work through the things you do not fully understand. Math is mostly about taking the right logical steps in the right order. In order to do this, you need to understand what each step does, and i find that usually people that have problems understanding such steps do better if they can ask questions and get them answered as opposed to reading a book about it. I would also favor a "master one small step at a time" approach. While it may seem you are not getting anywhere fast, if you manage to master the simpler steps, and not only understand what works, but how it works, you should be able to speed up the simple steps, and apply them smoothly in more complicated problems.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here's a little secret. Don't study Math. Study the SAT. If you want a high score on the SAT, go take an SAT prep course for a few weeks. They don't actually teach you how to solve the problems, they teach you how to answer the problem WITHOUT solving it, or break it down so it isn't worded confusingly.

The SAT isn't a measure of how good you are at tests, or how smart you are, it's a measure of how much money you have to spend on prep courses and materials. I'm not joking, I've written papers about this test and it's the most retarded way of measuring 'intelligence' or 'college readiness' that I've ever seen.

Obviously if basic algebra and geometry give you trouble, hire a tutor to help you out. I'm certain that you'd be able to find one in an SAT prep course, actually :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The SAT isn't a measure of how good you are at tests, or how smart you are, it's a measure of how much money you have to spend on prep courses and materials. I'm not joking, I've written papers about this test and it's the most retarded way of measuring 'intelligence' or 'college readiness' that I've ever seen.

This, yes this is stupidity. But I won't drag this guy's thread into a discussion about it.

Get some practice SATs and find a tutor to help you go through the problems. Studying math is too broad and you don't have enough time if you are that bad at it. Just go through the problems on past SATs and you will do fine.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku