As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Favorite unfinished shows? (Mourning)

• Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    What with both starting out with a strange and special girl being held in a case.

oh God, i had forgotten about outlaw star

like i said, whedon probably didn't rip anything off intentionally, but he was definately inspired by a lot of this stuff

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This show only has shown a pilot episode, but it was far better than anything else:
    KORGOTH of Barbaria!!! Why it hasnt been picked up yet is beyond me. It had a mix of Conan, Ultra Violence, Comedy and some wicked rock music. Its great and i recommend people to find the pilot episode on youtube or smoething to see how amazing it is.

A-Rod on
  • Errand's FoolErrand's Fool Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A-Rod wrote: »
    This show only has shown a pilot episode, but it was far better than anything else:
    KORGOTH of Barbaria!!! Why it hasnt been picked up yet is beyond me. It had a mix of Conan, Ultra Violence, Comedy and some wicked rock music. Its great and i recommend people to find the pilot episode on youtube or smoething to see how amazing it is.

Season One of Korgoth was supposed to have started already, but Adult Swim's latest line-up shows it MIA and its unknown how it ended up in development hell.

Errand's Fool on
    Due to Earth's polluted atmosphere, Ultraman can only retain his gigantic form for three minutes.
    Time...is running out.
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If we're brining up that, how about "Heatvision and Jack"?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    Well most of those shows were never cancelled, per se, because they weren't purchased for a full season run, they're made and purchased as one-shots with the option to turn into a full-blown series, just like how The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, and ATHF started out, some get picked, and some like the internet cult classic Adventure Time don't. In the case of Korgoth, since it was purchased for a full run and remains unaired, it can be classified a myriad of ways, and the project itself may be cancelled altogether before a single reel sees the lgiht of day.

Errand's Fool on
    Due to Earth's polluted atmosphere, Ultraman can only retain his gigantic form for three minutes.
    Time...is running out.
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Damnable Adult Swim. Giving us Saul of the Molemen instead of Korgoth :v:

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anyone ever see Standoff? It's coming back June 8th but I think they only brought it back because they had the episodes and they (FOX) knew if they waited a fucking 1/2 year people will forget about it so it would be easier to cancel.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    Damnable Adult Swim. Giving us Saul of the Molemen instead of Korgoth :v:

There's a show I saw previews for, fell in love with the set design and premise, eagerly awaited, and once it arrived looked for a way to make the horrible horrible pain stop.

Saul I mean.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Anyone ever see Standoff? It's coming back June 8th but I think they only brought it back because they had the episodes and they (FOX) knew if they waited a fucking 1/2 year people will forget about it so it would be easier to cancel.

If you check the "new shows" thread, you'll see that Standoff is now canceled. Sorry for your loss.

NINJA EDIT:
    Out: The Winner, Standoff, Drive, The War at Home, The O.C., Justice, Happy Hour, The Rich List, Vanished, The Wedding Bells, The Loop

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/05/17/the-upfronts-fox/

FYI, the Loop got canceled too and Fox can now officially eat their own cocks.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A-Rod wrote: »

Season One of Korgoth was supposed to have started already, but Adult Swim's latest line-up shows it MIA and its unknown how it ended up in development hell.

Clearly Tim and Eric and Saul of the Molemen is of higher quality and importance.

Clawshrimpy on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Veronica Mars. They stumbled a bit in the 2nd and 3rd seasons, but it was still better than two-thirds of the shit on CW.

Quoted for truth.

Qorzm on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    What with both starting out with a strange and special girl being held in a case.

oh God, i had forgotten about outlaw star

like i said, whedon probably didn't rip anything off intentionally, but he was definately inspired by a lot of this stuff

That was my first reaction when I saw a clip of Firefly, oh look, it's Outlaw Star.

Still haven't watched more than that, but I suppose I should.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There were a few cartoon shows that I watched as a kid that I can't remember if they finished or were just cancelled such as:

Cadillac's and Dinosaurs
    Bots Master (it's laser time boys!....classic)
    Samurai Pizza Cats (ownage!)
    Beast Wars/Beasties
    Starship Troopers: Roughnecks
    ReBoot

As for other shows:

Invasion - Slow for the start but at the end was kick ass
    Studio 60
    Space: Above and Beyond - I think I mentioned this earlier on but it must be stated again. A damn good show
    Jericho - that save Jericho campaign better damn well work. It worked for Family Guy and Futurama so who knows

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • HeadZebraMonkeyHeadZebraMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cadillac's and Dinosaurs - Does anyone know who has the rights to this? because they NEED to make a DVD box set of it. NOW!
    ReBoot

But I think it's a good think they don't continue Reboot due to the fact that Tony Jay (AKA Megabite) died almost a year ago. I don't think anyone could replace his amazing voice, Aug. 13/06 the day Megabite died.

HeadZebraMonkey on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Martman wrote: »
    I'm afraid Arrested Development will be on this list soon.

Blast from the past.

I mean really, I was about to insult the guy, because, though I couldn't agree more, I was thinking 'man, that was a year ago!'

Then I checked the tag. Holy shit, this thread is a freaking antique.

also, I love Venture Bros SO MUCH. Personally, I like Orpheus the most, mostly because of the ridiculous music that they have when he speaks.

Ethan Smith on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Martman wrote: »
    I'm afraid Arrested Development will be on this list soon.

Blast from the past.

I mean really, I was about to insult the guy, because, though I couldn't agree more, I was thinking 'man, that was a year ago!'

Then I checked the tag. Holy shit, this thread is a freaking antique.

also, I love Venture Bros SO MUCH. Personally, I like Orpheus the most, mostly because of the ridiculous music that they have when he speaks.

Wow you're right. At any rate, I recently just finished watching AD through again with my wife and now I'm full of rage and sorrow about its demise. It's just so, so good.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    i wasn't a big fan of firefly, but i think it probably did it the best in recent memory (also i hate hate HATE the new battlestar, but production-wise, it's very well done). my biggest problem with firefly was that the concept and the characters really weren't all that amazing or unique (cowboy bebop lol), but it got such a huge knob polishing from Joss Whedon's fanbase that it didn't matter.

Ugh, I hate it when that comparison gets made. Firefly is obviously in the vein of westerns, Cowboy Bebop is in the vein of Noir. Just cause it has the word "cowboy" in the title doesn't make them the same.
    FireFly was a knocked off of alot of Anime. Trigun, BeBop, OutLaw star are the easy ones.

Algertman on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know they were sort of finished but, Angel and Buffy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Venture Brothers's opening is probably the best opening ever, with "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" and "Cowboy Bebop" coming close.

Shit, Sherlock Holmes in 2200AD was GOOD.

Ethan Smith on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh god. I keep watching the final scene of Angel. It's so good and I want more so bad.
    Wesley would even come back. He still has that "Haha you still work for us after death" thing with Wolfram & Hart.

Mai-Kero on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Oh god. I keep watching the final scene of Angel. It's so good and I want more so bad.
    Wesley would even come back. He still has that "Haha you still work for us after death" thing with Wolfram & Hart.

Joss Whedon is looking at doing an Angel: Season Six line of comics like what he's doing with Buffy: Season Eight right now.

And I hadn't thought about that fact with Wesley.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Joss Whedon is looking at doing an Angel: Season Six line of comics like what he's doing with Buffy: Season Eight right now.

Well, Buffy Season Eight has been incredibly awesome so that would be pretty fantastic.
    The synopsis at the beginning of each issue is so great.
    Also, Dawn's a giant.

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007

Well, Buffy Season Eight has been incredibly awesome so that would be pretty fantastic.
    The synopsis at the beginning of each issue is so great.
    Also, Dawn's a giant.

I haven't actually been able to find an issue anywhere, though I do hear it's excellent. I'm not sure if I should just wait for the TPB at this point.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has Duckman been mentioned? If not.....

DUCKMAN

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
    edited June 2007
    Against all odds, and in an altogether unprecendented move, Jericho has been UN-cancelled!
    http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho&tid=13329&redirCnt=1
    Now they've only ordered seven episodes to air later in the Fall/Spring 07-08 season with the understanding that, if the ratings don't improve, it's gone, but there's still hope yet.
    Hope...huh, who saw that coming in this thread?

Errand's Fool on
    Time...is running out.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Against all odds, and in an altogether unprecendented move, Jericho has been UN-cancelled!
    http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho&tid=13329&redirCnt=1
    Now they've only ordered seven episodes to air later in the Fall/Spring 07-08 season with the understanding that, if the ratings don't improve, it's gone, but there's still hope yet.
    Hope...huh, who saw that coming in this thread?

Huh. I have never, I repeat never, seen a show "un-cancelled" in this amount of time. Family Guy, for example, took like four years.

Shadowen on
    edited June 2007
    Well, FG was cancelled, like, twice, and nearly once before those. But it was only two years between S3 and S4, if memory serves, four years would be, well, insane...of course, what have they done with that renewal? Drilled the show into the ground. Sometimes second chances are not well-spent...

Errand's Fool on
    Time...is running out.
    edited June 2007
    How long was Futurama cancelled? It seems to me that's an even longer cancellation.

And if you want to count it, Doctor Who was cancelled back in 1989, and then brought back in 2005.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One of my favorite unfinished shows when I was a kid... Nickelodeon ran the first few parts of a British (I think) series called The Tomorrow People about kids with psychic abilities and the like. It originally aired in the 70s and then was brought back in the 90s with new plots and cast. I don't know if the show had a full run in its country of origin, but Nickelodeon definitely cut the series halfway through the second or third storyline, and left some stuff out as well. Tragic.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Invader Zim

It got canned just when there was starting to be an overarching story and some continuity (with Dib repairing Tak's ship)

I hate whoever made that decision forever

Lemming on
  • CrunchmanCrunchman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I saw Invader Zim somewhere early on, which I'd agree with. Also, Cartoon Network's "Samurai Jack". I guess it was more oriented with kids, but I really liked it's art style, and animation. The art was very clean, and there were very settle details, such as having no black lines outlining the characters, and stuff like that. I really wanted to see where it would end up.

Crunchman on
    "The Wii is like beer; the PS3 is brandy." - Hirokazu Hamamura
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One of my favorite unfinished shows when I was a kid... Nickelodeon ran the first few parts of a British (I think) series called The Tomorrow People about kids with psychic abilities and the like. It originally aired in the 70s and then was brought back in the 90s with new plots and cast. I don't know if the show had a full run in its country of origin, but Nickelodeon definitely cut the series halfway through the second or third storyline, and left some stuff out as well. Tragic.

I vaguely remember that, although I might be getting it confused with another title. It actually involved a degree of timetravel, right? I remember some borderline-psychic girl walking into doors because everything was automated in her society, and a bunch of thugs from the not-quite-as-far-future trying to cause trouble.

And add yet another vote for Red Dwarf.

I still don't understand how with that pedigree, and those established characters, it fell apart at the end.

Oh, yes I do. Continuity and throwing the premise of "only man in the universe" down the goddamn drain.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Invader Zim

It got canned just when there was starting to be an overarching story and some continuity (with Dib repairing Tak's ship)

Well you will be happy to hear the series has been renewed yet again this time on fox http://community.tvguide.com/thread/Invader-Zim/Invader-Zim-Gets/800013399
    there was also some previously unreleased ones that came out in 2006 on one of the nickeloden networks.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Invader Zim

Well you will be happy to hear the series has been renewed yet again this time on fox http://community.tvguide.com/thread/Invader-Zim/Invader-Zim-Gets/800013399
    there was also some previously unreleased ones that came out in 2006 on one of the nickeloden networks.

Life has meaning again!

Mace1370 on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Invader Zim

Life has meaning again!

Holy crap, you've got to be kidding me. How did I not hear about this?

Is there any other confirmation? The article linked seems to be written by someone suffering from either a mild form of retardation or a lack of fluency in English, so I'd rather see something coherent before I get excited.

Though, after the initial burst of excitement, you have to wonder if they'll be able to pick up the grove after so long away from the show. There's a flow and a sense of style to a show that seems to get lost once the people stop working together (see Family Guy, or Firefly -> Serenity). Makes me more than a bit nervous about Futurama too.

werehippy on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    Invader Zim

Life has meaning again!

Holy crap, you've got to be kidding me. How did I not hear about this?

Is there any other confirmation? The article linked seems to be written by someone suffering from either a mild form of retardation or a lack of fluency in English, so I'd rather see something coherent before I get excited.

Though, after the initial burst of excitement, you have to wonder if they'll be able to pick up the grove after so long away from the show. There's a flow and a sense of style to a show that seems to get lost once the people stop working together (see Family Guy, or Firefly -> Serenity). Makes me more than a bit nervous about Futurama too.

I think a lot of this has to do with us glorifying the show after it gets canceled, rather than the show actually getting worse when it comes back. I loved Serenity just as much as the season of Firefly and I enjoy almost all of the new Family Guy episodes.

Also, upon further inspection: http://community.tvguide.com/thread/Invader-Zim/Invader-Zim-Gets/800011913

I'm thinking this is a rumor :(

Mace1370 on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I guessed as much when I saw the April announcement date; if this was actually happening, I figure we would have heard about it by now. Still, if you hear a slight cracking sound, that would be my heart shattering again. Damnit.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hmmm, well i got this info seconhand from a friend. Probably should've checked first

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, those both also list Vasquez as creator of the Fairly Oddparents, a show he actually has fucking nothing to do with. It's a bullshit rumor started to break people's hearts.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

I vaguely remember that, although I might be getting it confused with another title. It actually involved a degree of timetravel, right? I remember some borderline-psychic girl walking into doors because everything was automated in her society, and a bunch of thugs from the not-quite-as-far-future trying to cause trouble.

I don't remember much of the show.. I think it was more like "accidental teleportation" than time travel. There may have been though.
    I think I remember the pilot being about a girl at a talent show or something going to sing and then teleporting to this place on a beach with futuristic stuff around.. All the "tomorrow people" ended up at this beach place by accidentally teleporting there.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."