As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

123457»

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The Witch books are my favorite. :(

Yeah! Although my favorite Discworld book is actually either The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents or Night Watch, Granny Weatherwax is far and away my favorite character.

Vimes out Weatherwaxes Weatherwax, really. And he feels less like a deus ex machina.

Duki on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Actually, I take it back. Soul Music was the worst book.

Not the worst Pratchett book.

Just the worst book.
    I've read both of the Susan books twice each. Not because I like them, but because I'd completely forgotten that I'd ever read them after finishing them the first time.

(although, that's kind of appropriate, come to think of it...)

Also: the animated version of Soul Music is really terrible.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Soul Music was terrible on every level that a creative work can be terrible.
    Moving Pictures was worse.

No, actually, Moving Pictures and Soul Music were basically the same book. Look! Modern [music/movies] in the Discworld, under vaguely fantasy-style names! Oh, how we laughed.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    I'm just watching the Hogfather made for TV thing, and damn, it's kind of ass. The only good part so far has been Susan, who is perfect, but everything else is just bleh. Jingly ass music everywhere. And it all looks cheap. Not a big enough budget to make it look real good like.

the curse of Discworld books is that they will never be good as films or cartoons or TV shows until the directors realize that the stories are comedies not dramas.

There are so many funny scenes that are absolutely butchered by dry and slow delivery.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Vimes doesn't have the vision to be Patrician. Close, but not quite.

Iriah on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Vimes would rather stab himself in the eye with a handy assassin than be patrician. I can't believe you guys get the sense of him winding up in that position from the books.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Really, it's the final thing Vetinari can do to piss him off.
    Plus, didn't Vimes get taken off the assassin's guild listings, an 'honour' shared only by Vetinari? So even one of the major guilds thinks he's the only person as important as Vetinari is to running the city.

Or they got tired of trying to kill him, whatever.

Burnage on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I'm just watching the Hogfather made for TV thing, and damn, it's kind of ass. The only good part so far has been Susan, who is perfect, but everything else is just bleh. Jingly ass music everywhere. And it all looks cheap. Not a big enough budget to make it look real good like.

the curse of Discworld books is that they will never be good as films or cartoons or TV shows until the directors realize that the stories are comedies not dramas.

There are so many funny scenes that are absolutely butchered by dry and slow delivery.

I haven't read Pratchett's work yet, but I absolutely adored Sky One's adaption of the Hogfather. I thought it was fairly great, witty and even touching. I didn't know what exactly looks "cheap," but I suppose I have a greater threshold for lower budget effects than most when it comes to low-tech special effects

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I haven't read Pratchett's work yet, but I absolutely adored Sky One's adaption of the Hogfather. I thought it was fairly great, witty and even touching. I didn't know what exactly looks "cheap," but I suppose I have a greater threshold for lower budget effects than most when it comes to low-tech special effects

I watched part 2 tonight and it wasn't awful, but they did kind of murder the pacing. and then they resurrected it using the black arts only to off it a second time, just to be sure. It got a bit painful.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCK NO!

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Um, yes, we know. That's what this thread's about.

Quid on
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes, I am aware of this. But this is actually the first i heard of that fact and I figured that doing it like that would express my feelings on the matter quite clearly and would also make much more sense than say...
    The Cat wrote: »

I watched part 2 tonight and it wasn't awful, but they did kind of murder the pacing. and then they resurrected it using the black arts only to off it a second time, just to be sure. It got a bit painful.

"NONONONONOFUCKNO!!!"

... would have.

Agreed?

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png