As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Xbox Live Games on the old xbox?

troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey

So back in the day I was addicted to WoW and played nothing else, my friend gave me his old xbox when he got a 360 (the wow addiction is why I have no idea what good online games there are for that old xbox :) ). A little while back I got my own 360 so now I want to pass the old xbox off to one of my friends who doesn't have a lot of disposable income. We're friends from way back and he lives all the way across the country now so I figured it would be a cool way for us to stay in touch by being able to play some games over xbox live sometimes. So my question to you all is what games would we be capable of playing each other at over Live that he can play on the old Xbox? Halo 2 I know and I may buy him a copy of that when I send out the console, how was that Mech Assault game? Were any of the old Tony Hawk games playable over Live?

Thanks!!

troublebrewing on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    IXNAY ON THE URNING BAY.

Edit: I may have misread or you are a sneaky editer.
    In any case, Crimson Skies and SC: Chaos Theory are both very good and should be very cheap by now.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Second for Crimson Skies. It's really quite good.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Second for Crimson Skies. It's really quite good.

Thirded on Crimson Skies. Not sure if anybody still plays it, but by far the best game I played for the original Xbox on Live.

Absolutely fantastic game.

I was at one point one of the top chicken runners in the world. I shit you not.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm glad this thread came up. I'm tempted to get Fable, but I'm running out of space. So I'm contemplating getting the 120GB hard-drive. I've heard lots of complaints, though, so I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know. Is transferring and playing my downloaded content and games simple enough? I thought I heard something about having to be online just to play them.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm glad this thread came up. I'm tempted to get Fable, but I'm running out of space. So I'm contemplating getting the 120GB hard-drive. I've heard lots of complaints, though, so I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know. Is transferring and playing my downloaded content and games simple enough? I thought I heard something about having to be online just to play them.

No, that last part is only if you get a new console.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey

So back in the day I was addicted to WoW and played nothing else, my friend gave me his old xbox when he got a 360 (the wow addiction is why I have no idea what good online games there are for that old xbox :) ). A little while back I got my own 360 so now I want to pass the old xbox off to one of my friends who doesn't have a lot of disposable income. We're friends from way back and he lives all the way across the country now so I figured it would be a cool way for us to stay in touch by being able to play some games over xbox live sometimes. So my question to you all is what games would we be capable of playing each other at over Live that he can play on the old Xbox? Halo 2 I know and I may buy him a copy of that when I send out the console, how was that Mech Assault game? Were any of the old Tony Hawk games playable over Live?

Thanks!!
    RTCW was such a great online experience when it came out, but the graphics may be a little too outdated with a dead community to play. Perhaps one of the old Ghost Recon cames? They do have co-op online.

Sanders on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    RTCW was such a great online experience when it came out, but the graphics may be a little too outdated with a dead community to play. Perhaps one of the old Ghost Recon cames? They do have co-op online.

The original Ghost Recon had pretty shitty game management and matchmaking, and if I remember correctly it was largely dead years ago. Not sure on Island Thunder or any later games that might have come out for original Xbox. Rainbow Six 3 was pretty pimp, though. I shot many, many people in the face back in the day.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

No, that last part is only if you get a new console.

Awesome! Thanks, man. I guess I might have to pick up the bigger hard-drive soon.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Great answers so far guys!

any idea if any of the older Tony Hawk Games or any skating games games in general were worthwhile over live?

subtle bump dis hur thread

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mechassault prompted me to get my Live subscription. However, I recall it deteriorating into Mad Cat (was that the cheapo mech?) wars before too long. I never took the 2nd online.

I never played Crimson Skies though I just bought it off Live. No one was in matchmaking when I tried to play online.

Halo 2likely has maintained some semblance of community. Between those unable to obtain 360s and those who undoubtedly have decided that Halo 3 is shit (similar to the people who still think Halo was better than 2) there's gotta be a decent number.

I hear rave reviews about Phantom Dust though I have not played it personally.

Oh and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory co op is wonderful, if brief.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm actually in the same boat as your friend and playing a hand me down xbox. I'm hoping that I get a 360 for christmas but as of now the only live games that i've found that still have people on them are Halo 2, Crimson Skies sometimes...sometimes Phantom Dust and Mech Assault. My friends just gave me a bunch of old Xbox games and i'll check out the Live situation with those too.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    Tapeworm711Tapeworm711 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Phantom Dust is the best game on Xbox...... period. I love it more than my man-self.

I have dreams about an updated version for 360. Seriously that game CONSUMED me. I was even involved in a fan site that worked out all the nuances of all the skills and made a crazy spreadsheet.

Ive played through that game again on BC for 360 incase a PA community rose up. WINK WINK.... RISE UP!!! damn you.

psst....go buy Phantom Dust. now.

Tapeworm711 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How hard is Phantom Dust to find? I remember it being pretty hard when to find when it came out, I can't imagine now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I picked it up used for less then $10 when it was added to the BC list.

Mechassault is great IF played with friends. One Madcat per team is fine, but no more then that. Just don't get Mechassault 2, they killed it...

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    reddog wrote: »
    I'm actually in the same boat as your friend and playing a hand me down xbox. I'm hoping that I get a 360 for christmas but as of now the only live games that i've found that still have people on them are Halo 2, Crimson Skies sometimes...sometimes Phantom Dust and Mech Assault. My friends just gave me a bunch of old Xbox games and i'll check out the Live situation with those too.

sounds good man let me know what you find out ;-)

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    Hey

Thanks!!

forgive me if I sound dumb but what is RTCW and I must know what pack you got your xbox live icon from!?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

forgive me if I sound dumb but what is RTCW and I must know what pack you got your xbox live icon from!?

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (I assume)

Gdiguy on