As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]Battle for Wesnoth. Open Source FE+AW.

• Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you join the multiplayer server with 1.3.12 you should see Kayne and me in the lobby.

Valkun on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just tried to join Kayne's game..and then it crashed..you win this round wesnoth

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh, we thought you were some random wesnother. Whoops!

Someone took your place and we started.

Talios, come observe our game. When you get here, we'll restart with you and Skulk.

Valkun on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just tried to join Kayne's game..and then it crashed..you win this round wesnoth

Come on back, I'll restart the game for you and Skulk. Observers are on, so pop into the game and tell us when you get on.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh man, anyone who loves Wesnoth should come and observe this game.

Epic 4v4 action!

Valkun on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm working through some of the campaigns. This game has gotten a LOT more polish since last year. The sprites and campaigns are a LOT richer and better done.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    im in.. what game ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's Kayne's game.

Edit: Holy hell, that match was crazy and fun.

It's a four on four, with players arranged around a circle and on the inside. We decide early on to send most of our troops counter clockwise while I would hold my side with tons of trolls and a few archers. I somehow manage to hold off three players for the entire game allowing my side to push through and win! Even after losing my leader at the front, my army of trolls and crossbowmen literally tour apart the armies of three players. :lol:

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bahh, sorry i dissapeared, apparently the blow that smote my leader wqas powerful enough to crash my game again D: oh well i guess it wa s over anyway

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Same here, my client crashed. It was over by then anyways.

Valkun on
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    awesome 4 on 4. Great game guys. I finally got a level 2 with the killing blow!

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That was an awesome game.

Skulk on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The crash means the game is over ;-)

Objective was to kill enemy leaders.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you guys are still playing, I want in

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We started not too long ago, you're more than welcome to observe

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Starting a new one in a new era, anyone thats interested should join now!

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I love how you can plop down labels and rename your units. Great way to spend time while waiting for other players to finish their turns.

Valkun on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was watching the most recent game briefly, when you join an ongoing game to observe it plays through all the previous turns and chat. I'm hoping to get in on this sometime this weekend anyway.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, I'll brave certain death and log on to multiplayer.

Ooh, nice multiplayer interface! Reminds me of the old Bungie.NET boards for Myth:TFL.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    urgh, I feel like such a n00b... I can't figure out how to chat... lol =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    well, it just crashed on me again, looks like i'm out till i can figure out wtf is wrong with it..worst case scenario i install it on my laptop and i'll be back to playing with you guys tomorrow D:

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You guys couldn't see it, but I killed him with a lowly Walking Dead. I just sat there summong 2-4 of those zombies every turn while everyone was busy killing each other. :lol:

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Valkun crashed just before a tag team effort to kill his leader.

Skulk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Aye, we were making a mad dash for him. =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Seriously, never allow multiple people to make a truce with someone sitting in the corner. 8-) It only ever leads to bad things.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That was a blast, I'll definitely have to do that more often. And if I ever make a video game, label placement will be a required component. Whoever thought of that was genius.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    Seriously, never allow multiple people to make a truce with someone sitting in the corner. 8-) It only ever leads to bad things.

To be fair that was only to keep you away during my suicide charge at the enemy, which was successful.

Skulk on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Skulk wrote: »
    Valkun wrote: »

To be fair that was only to keep you away during my suicide charge at the enemy, which was successful.

You did strike true on that.

I think my biggest mistake was being in the way of Cmd and Valkun's fight. My resources were screaming "hey, grab me on the way over there!" ;)

Well, that and not having any strategy or tactics. (looks around) =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    this is a fun game. If we go back to 'stable' .. what are we loosing ?

dumdum the douglas fir was ny enemy, and I defeated him.

up for another game soon... right after i grab the source and make preferences stick!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    this is a fun game. If we go back to 'stable' .. what are we loosing ?

dumdum the douglas fir was ny enemy, and I defeated him.

up for another game soon... right after i grab the source and make preferences stick!

Speaking of which... I've never actually been a part of an open source project before. Have you ever done anything like that? Is there an official procedure by which you can make changes (like the one you want to make above) usually? I'm going to have to look more into it... this is the first time I've seen an Open Source program that I felt I could actually contribute to. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    i've never worked under sourceforge, but the normal process is you check out a CSV of the latest code, and do whatever you want. you can upload your snapshot for people to play with and if its good, your changes are merged into the next snapshot.

How often there is a snapshot depends... firefox is nightly, this project.. dunno. I am interested in playing with it just to play with code again. I want to make a whole AI subroutine about pooping.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    i've never worked under sourceforge, but the normal process is you check out a CSV of the latest code, and do whatever you want. you can upload your snapshot for people to play with and if its good, your changes are merged into the next snapshot.

How often there is a snapshot depends... firefox is nightly, this project.. dunno. I am interested in playing with it just to play with code again. I want to make a whole AI subroutine about pooping.

lol, awesome =)

Hmm... I think I'll go download the latest source then. Fixing those constant multiplayer crashes would be a real boon to the game... not that I can do that necessarily, but it's worth a try. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just played some multiplayer (Hopped in a random game), and now I want to play with you guys. I would get on Vent, but I'm using Linux and I don't have Vent on this computer, so could one of you post the time you'll start playing and what the server will be called when you start it up? Cheers.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    also, playing random races are fun... like the archmage....

but not the fairies / merpeople.

Except for the tree warriors

edit: what is the latest linux version? Did someone need that? I can probably compile a binary from source if you like

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

edit: what is the latest linux version? Did someone need that? I can probably compile a binary from source if you like
    i think we all learned the archmages weakness last night...the humble poacher ;-) anyway i just installed it on my laptop in the hopes it'll crash less than it does on my desktop and am getting online if anyone wants to play

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Latest source is 1.3.12. It wasn't too hard to compile though. The compile instructions on the official website (Wesnoth.org) help you download all the dependencies and tell you what to do.

EDIT: Sorry, got slightly confused as to what you meant there. Latest Linux binaries are here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBinariesLinux .. 1.2.6 seems to be the latest. I think some have 1.2.8 or something though. Definitely not the same as we're using though.

i think we all learned the archmages weakness last night...the humble poacher ;-) anyway i just installed it on my laptop in the hopes it'll crash less than it does on my desktop and am getting online if anyone wants to play

I want to play. Just give me a server name.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »

Latest source is 1.3.12. It wasn't too hard to compile though. The compile instructions on the official website (Wesnoth.org) help you download all the dependencies and tell you what to do.

EDIT: Sorry, got slightly confused as to what you meant there. Latest Linux binaries are here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothBinariesLinux .. 1.2.6 seems to be the latest. I think some have 1.2.8 or something though. Definitely not the same as we're using though.

I want to play. Just give me a server name.
    We've been playing on the official server, game name..who knows, it has chat one you login to it anyway

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah. I meant game name, not server name. We should have a standard game name we use so that we know which one to join. Penny Arcade or something.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The server names are usually just <name>'s game, or some form of Arcadia. I'm up for some games after I go draft some Lorwyn.

Just in case you ever jump on when you're not sure if we're playing, our list of players goes something like:

Valkun
    CmdPrompt
    Skulk
    TrevorGoodchild
    Igel
    Roundboy
    Talios
    VThornheart
    Kayne
    FZero

So if you see any of those as <name>'s game, feel free to jump in and spectate, the more players the better

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Someone was asking about linux binaries... and couldn't get them because they were so old.. i guess its not an issue for anyone.

according the forums.. there is a particular dll version that contributes to crashes.. the version on the site is compiled under vb6 (using that dll) .. those compiled under vb8 (different dll) have no crashes like we had when a leader is killed.

someone did post a win32 binary with the vb8 version ... might be worth checking out

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg