As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virtualizing Windows games under Linux with Xen queestion.

ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Does someone have experience with trying to virtualize Windows XP under Linux with Xen? Specifically for running 3d games. Is it a good alternative to running Win XP for games. How about Windows Vista. I've tried it and hated it, but when DX10 games becomes the norm I'd like to buy the cheapest Vista version and just use it from Linux.
All I get from Google is year old threads which tells me 3d acceleration won't work.
(I do know about WINE, but some games it won't run for me)

"You read it! You can't unread it!"
venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
ArcticMonkey on

• blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not aware of any virtualization software that will give you support for modern 3D graphics. I had a beta of VMWare Workstation about six months ago that supposedly did basic DirectX, (think DirectX 7-era features), so I know it's being worked on, but I would be surprised if anyone had gotten it to the point of being useful for anything newer than 1998 or 1999 yet.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • tribenettribenet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you really want to run Windows 3d games under Linux, virtualization is not really the answer. I highly doubt any emulator would give you enough video performance to run any 3d game.

Your best bet would be Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com/products/cedega/). It's basically a commercial version of WineX, and supports a LOT of new games (they mention Oblivion, WoW, etc)

I tried it a few years ago and was pretty amazed on how simple it was to use. As long as you have your Linux video drivers working correctly, Cedega is awesome.

tribenet on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    tribenet wrote: »
    If you really want to run Windows 3d games under Linux, virtualization is not really the answer. I highly doubt any emulator would give you enough video performance to run any 3d game.

Your best bet would be Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com/products/cedega/). It's basically a commercial version of WineX, and supports a LOT of new games (they mention Oblivion, WoW, etc)

I tried it a few years ago and was pretty amazed on how simple it was to use. As long as you have your Linux video drivers working correctly, Cedega is awesome.

I did some more digging and found that Xen has support for OpenGL (Wiki link)
    From what I understand this "emulation" gives the "guest" OS just about full access to the hardware so you get close enough to full performance and is only possible with AMDs and Intels new multi core CPUs.
    However full access to the GPU is not practical since it needs to display the Linux stuff aswell if the guest is run in a window.

If Cedega supports DX10 the day I have a DX10 GPU and a game I want to play I'll gladly buy that instead of Windows Vista.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I did some more digging and found that Xen has support for OpenGL (Wiki link)
    From what I understand this "emulation" gives the "guest" OS just about full access to the hardware so you get close enough to full performance and is only possible with AMDs and Intels new multi core CPUs.
    However full access to the GPU is not practical since it needs to display the Linux stuff aswell if the guest is run in a window.

If Cedega supports DX10 the day I have a DX10 GPU and a game I want to play I'll gladly buy that instead of Windows Vista.

Reading this link about VMGL, it only gives OpenGL apps that are running within the VM direct acces to the CPU. This won't do anything for DirectX games and "OpenGL mode" is something I'm seeing less and less of with new releases.

I found Cedega to be pretty crappy outside of compatibility. Wine supports many popular titles, doesn't cost money, and runs faster. DX10 support in either of these though? Who knows...

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • tribenettribenet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Never had problems with Cedega, it always gave me up to par performance versus my windows performance. I don't really know what you're basing you're opinion on, but I assume you just had configuration issues which resulted in bad performance.

Also, saying Wine runs games faster than Cedega is just crap.. Wine doesn't even support DirectX natively..

Anyway, try it out for yourself and see.

tribenet on