As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tremendous downtime?

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
Over the last few days I haven't been able to access PA at all, forums or site... it was happening on multiple computers on multiple ISP's....

Is this accurate?

Jasconius on

• Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005

Umm thats a forum JAILING, not even a ban, and a forum ban wouldn't restrict you from viewing the main page... and not even the forums from multiple IP's if it were an IP ban.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited October 2005
    Something about two Tier 1 providers or somesuch getting in a tiff and severing connections with each other. It's all really beyong me, but there's a thread in G&T about it somewhere.

Knob on
  • Options
    RippRipp Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Read Me

It happened to me too, and I was just as confused as you were. ISPs seem to be trying to route around the difficulty now, which has helped some.

Ripp on
    XBL Gamertag- Ripptide123
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2005
    Level 3 and Cogent are fighting. Basicly they are having a dispute that the "free" peering arangement is not benifical to one side and it was turned off cutting routing paths between the two networks.

If your ISP gets another provider your in luck, if not too bad :/

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    Pretty sure this wasn't the Tier 1 peering issues. If that was the case, we wouldn't have been able to access the site at all. Rather we got another MySQL issue that brought down the forums.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Pretty sure this wasn't the Tier 1 peering issues. If that was the case, we wouldn't have been able to access the site at all. Rather we got another MySQL issue that brought down the forums.

I kept getting an error last night that said "Could not query forum information" (I was able to logon though) and then this morning it transformed into the typical MySQL error. Now I have access, but everything is loading very slowly.

Invisible on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Considering the whole Jack Thompson thing with PA being in the news, I expect the server is probably just getting assraped. Not a big deal, it'll blow over in a day or two.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Snakes on the Forum.

No really, some hired assassin released millions of cobras on the server stack.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I would say it has something to do with Fark greenlighting the main page with the donation in Jack Thompson's name. Fark has a reputation of disabling servers with sheer volume of clicks.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    mtvcdm wrote:
    I would say it has something to do with Fark greenlighting the main page with the donation in Jack Thompson's name. Fark has a reputation of disabling servers with sheer volume of clicks.

So... PA is in fact.. being wanged? This.. this is a new feeling to me. :shock:

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    Most gaming news websites (gamespot comes to mind) slashdot, fark and countless blogs have linked to penny-arcade within the last 24 hours or so. The servers might just be under a little stress.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    I think it says something that PA's still up at all after all this.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Basically, it's like we've taken an internet equivalent of a nuke to our face, blacked out for a bit, and woken up just really really mad.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Artheleron wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Well, the correct terminology would be farked. Slashdot also linked to PA, so they'd also be /.'ed. Annnd, Shacknews did, too, but I don't think it would have much of an effect (no offense to fellow Shackers out there).

Either a) it'll all blow over in a few days, or b) Jerry and Mike do something so outrageously cool about this Thompson thing that everyone will just have to know about it as soon as it happens. I'm hoping for the latter, expecting the former.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    drhazard wrote:
    Artheleron wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Well, the correct terminology would be farked. Slashdot also linked to PA, so they'd also be /.'ed. Annnd, Shacknews did, too, but I don't think it would have much of an effect (no offense to fellow Shackers out there).

Either a) it'll all blow over in a few days, or b) Jerry and Mike do something so outrageously cool about this Thompson thing that everyone will just have to know about it as soon as it happens. I'm hoping for the latter, expecting the former.

You mean aside from the $10,000 donation?

Smasher on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    I think the not being able to access the site at all was the Tier 1 peering. We used to host on cogent and we did a quick switch after it all got messed up, but even still, it took a while for some ISPs to notice the new routing.

When penny arcade bites the dust, it has to do with mysql eating itself. The webserver and php scripts (hosted over dedicated fastcgi processes) are still alive and kicking, they just can't talk to the database. The resolution to this is not an easy one. Simply put, we need to rearrange the way penny arcade handles web traffic. That isn't easy, and it explains where I have disappeared to the past few weeks.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    FAUrrego wrote:
    Most gaming news websites (gamespot comes to mind) slashdot, fark and countless blogs have linked to penny-arcade within the last 24 hours or so. The servers might just be under a little stress.
    The server is under a lot of stress. We transfered essentially a terrabyte of data in 24 hours, that is a lot of stress for a single processor server to handle :wink: To be honest, I am happy we got through it as well as we did.

The solution here is to add in some more servers, but there is a technical bug in the way PHP handles things that makes adding servers really annoying. This is another thing I have been working on, expect something shiny and pretty by the end of the month.

For all non-techies, stop reading here, the next paragraph is a mini-rant about PHP.

The reason we can't add another webserver is due to a flaw in the way PHP and eaccelerator work. When a request comes in PHP takes the script, compiles it into an executable, executes it, and throws away the executable. eaccelerator takes that executable and stores it in ram, so the next request only has to run the executable. Life is good until you add in a diskless webserver. It mounts the filesystem from your main server and uses the network for all look ups. Life is good right? Nope. PHP is going to stat the file system atleast once on every page hit, eaccelerator or no. The stat says "nope no change to the file" and PHP goes on its way. While it will work, the overhead associated with that stating over the network will actually make the site performance worse. The solution? An elaborate system of ram disks, cron scripts, and hackish changes to the eaccelerator source code. A better solution? Use a different language :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    I am glad to hear you have things well in hand Alpha. Oh, and how is life for you otherwise? Not enough people ask that question.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    I am glad to hear you have things well in hand Alpha. Oh, and how is life for you otherwise? Not enough people ask that question.
    Heh, really busy. I spent a week in the hospital two weeks ago, and I have been playing catch up to get back on top of classes and the like. Outside of academia, I've been keeping busy with some other fun projects. I've been doing a fair ammount of short form improv, and a lot of old school gamming, link to the past and super mario brothers most recently. Thanks for asking Bri, I don't get asked very often.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    A better solution? Use a different language :wink:

Ruby on Rails ftw?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Man.

People need to totally stop coming to the website.

I mean.

What the fuck.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    I spent a week in the hospital two weeks ago...

A week in the hospital is usually pretty serious. If possible, they usually try to get you ambulatory ( and hence out of thier bed ) as quickly as possible. You seem to be in good spirits though, so I am presuming to conclude that you are ( if not recovered ) then recovering nicely?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.