As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Hi, I'm Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate!(NO56K)

BurguBurgu Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
MONKEY ISLAND!

This thread includes
guybrush-threepwood-monkey-island.jpg

48053.jpg

monkey.jpg\

And of Course

KoozieGotGrog.jpg

What is Monkey Island?

I am so glad you asked

Monkey Island is a series of adventure games created by Lucas Arts in the 1990s on the SCUMM engine.
The series is noted for having great humor, and holds a special place in my heart as the second funniest game I've ever played.

The series includes
Spoilered for H-Scroll Rape
secret-of-monkey-island_box_front_1600x2011.jpg
monkey2.gif
Curse_of_monkey_island_cover.jpg

And Last and also least
escapemi.jpg

Man I've been wanted to play these again, but how can I run it with windows?

Why SCUMMVM is the thing for you my friend!
With Scumm VM you can play any Scumm game easily!

http://www.scummvm.org/

So queue your hilarious jokes that no one will get but players of the game, watch the three headed monkeys, and remember, only real pirates can drink grog

Burgu on

• Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Am I apparently the only person that liked Escape a lot? Given it was the first of the series I played (the PS2 port version no less) but I always liked it.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It was the first one I played too, and I don't really hate it.

It's just after I played the rest of them did I really start realizing it wasn't up to snuff with the rest. There were some pretty bullshit puzzles in the game, but also some very hilarious parts to it as well. Either way they are all good games.

Burgu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still haven't finished Escape.

My absolute favorite is a toss-up between LeChuck's Revenge and Curse, but considering the voice-acting appeal, I think Curse wins out.

Also, to the OP, don't use Moby Games for the images. ;-)

Oh, and I own the Sega CD version of Secret. Long load times, but still classic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Also, to the OP, don't use Moby Games for the images. ;-)

Noted, and edited!

Burgu on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The first is my favorite, but Curse is stupidly good too. The second one was good, but I didn't like the art-style as much, and the end was weird.

I always get bored with Escape about an hour in. Dunno why, it just doesn't grab me. I think I don't like the game engine as much (I liked Grim Fandango, but hated how Manny interacted with the world for similar reasons.)

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Curse is pretty much my favorite game of all time. The only thing I dislike about the game is the puzzle in the Fourth Act, and only because I was too young to understand it at the time when I first played it. The art, the voice acting, and especially the music is simply wonderful.

I'm not kidding. I actually made a mix CD of all the songs from Curse. It starts off with Guybrush's monologue.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i liked the animation style in curse. so pretty even today!

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ohhhhhh......

There's a monkey in my pocket.
    He's stealing all my change.
    His stare is blank and glassy eyed.
    I fear he is deraaaaaanged.

Also.

El Pollo DIABLO!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Curse is definitely my favorite out of these, and also the first one I played.

"We may all avoid scurvy if we just eat an...orange?"
    I still haven't stopped laughing.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Curse has this wonderful atmosphere of pure fun and joy that I don't think any other game has ever equalled.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't see how this can be called a [GAME ON] as such. Anyway who cares.

Personal favourite is difficult to say since I haven't played the first two in a long long time. Probably 'Secret' wins out for me, if for nothing more than nostalgia, and possibly because the humour clicked with me more. Then Lechuck's Revenge

Although I did like Murray from Curse of Monkey Island, even if he did crop up in places for no good reason. That and the Pirate Song. It's probably the voice acting more than anything that pulls Curse of Monkey Island together.

subedii on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Curse of Monkey Island is still my favorite game of all time.

I was playing Assassin's Creed last night, and when you leave Altair in an awkward position he kind of crouches up and down. All I could think of was him singing, "We're a band of vicious pirates, a' sailin' out to sea..."

I laughed and laughed. Good times.

As for 4, I liked it, but I thought it got amazingly difficult at times. I will always hate that goddamn puzzle in the prosthetics shop. I usually avoid walkthroughs like the plague with adventure games, but I eventually gave in when it was clear I would never figure that out on my own.

So how about MI5? Lucasarts, I wish I could hate you to death. He has an unbreakable five-game contract!

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Papapichu! This is my all-time favorite adventure game series. Why no LeChuck's Revenge in the OP?

The first three are my favorites, and the fourth was still fun, though it didn't do much for me. The whole Monkey Combat thing was just aggravating after the glory of rhyming sword fights.

The pirate song is fantastic, and I wish that they would make more games that looked like Curse. It's completely timeless, and still looks amazing and brand new today.

EDIT: Ah there's LeChuck's Revenge....excellent. Either I missed it earlier or there was some kind of glitch.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God I love these games so much
    I've also got them memorized to a point where I can play the first 3 in 3 different scummvm windows simultaneously

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    bombcarbombcar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The fact that these games have not been released for the Wii (especially Curse) proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that LucasArts hates money and us.

bombcar on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bombcar wrote: »
    The fact that these games have not been released on Steam (especially Curse) proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that LucasArts hates money and us.

Fix'd

subedii on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Would you like to buy some lemonade good sirs

I assure you this cup does not have a hole in it

Not at all

sonictk on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "AHHHH! EL POLO DIABLO!!!!"

"Que?"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah!

For some people it's Deus Ex, for me, it's The Curse of Monkey Island. Every time I hear it mentioned, or see if referenced and I don't have a copy installed on my current machine, then it's time to dig it out again.

Time to see if this puppy will work in Vista...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    Papapichu! This is my all-time favorite adventure game series. Why no LeChuck's Revenge in the OP?
    The papapichu joke was BRILLIANT in how subtle it was; whether or not Guybrush would use the word for the rest of the game depended entirely on you reading the plant's description. :D

Glal on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fig-D wrote: »
    For some people it's Deus Ex, for me, it's The Curse of Monkey Island. Every time I hear it mentioned, or see if referenced and I don't have a copy installed on my current machine, then it's time to dig it out again.

Time to see if this puppy will work in Vista...

ScummVM.

A thought; I think that Monkey Island really lends itself to the kind of game that could be FRAPSed from start to finish and be put up in episodic chunks as a movie of sorts. Possibly editing out some of the repetitive content like the sword fighting, but there's so very little of that and so much awesome story and hilarious characters/dialogue.

devoir on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    OP: Resize and rehost the images in the OP to something uniform. It just looks messy otherwise.

/MI is great.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy coincidence, I just reinstalled Curse yesterday. Works on Vista just fine. I just wish it was higher-resolution, because I'm a dick about things like that. Brilliant game.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure I could talk someone through Monkey Island 1 completely blind I've played it that many times.

I enjoyed them all but think the 2nd is by far the best as the map piece hunting section is so huge and open.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never played the second. I should really get on to that one day.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You should get on to it today.

NOW

THIS SECOND.

It's one of my all time favourite game experiences and I still love replaying it to this date.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Hey! Look! Its a three headed monkey!"

And some Full Throttle.

"Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble."

Ben: Why'd your dad keep you a secret for so long?
    Maureen Corley: He didn't want people to find out about my mom.
    Ben: What was wrong with Mrs. Corley?
    Maureen Corley: She wasn't my mom.
    Ben: Ah.

Kelor on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    LeChuck's Revenge is probably the finest example of adventure gaming ever. The amazing art, top-notch writing, hidden jokes (with ones I missed that I pick up on) and as has been said -- the completley open-ended 4-corner map searching segment all join together to make something unbelieveable.

I've played it so many times and yet I always want to play more.

And I rock out with the OST in my car occasionally.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alas, Escape is the only game from the series that I've played, and that was a good many years ago. All four games are pretty high on my priority list though, third from the top at least.

Masonite on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I leave it a bit between playthroughs too, normally once a year or once every two years and I STILL get stuck on some of the puzzles!

It's the perfect length for a point and click too.

I'd love to try a Talkie version too, although I'm perfectly happy with just text. I'm surprised there's not a "fan dub" out of it yet

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I leave it a bit between playthroughs too, normally once a year or once every two years and I STILL get stuck on some of the puzzles!

It's the perfect length for a point and click too.

I'd love to try a Talkie version too, although I'm perfectly happy with just text. I'm surprised there's not a "fan dub" out of it yet

The CDs are so damn rare nowadays that its really tough to find a version that is (a) not outrageously priced and (b) a talkie version.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was under the impression there WASN'T a talkie version of Monkey Island 2. Surely I am not mistaken!

If there is then I must hunt it down.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    The CDs are so damn rare nowadays that its really tough to find a version that is (a) not outrageously priced and (b) a talkie version.

I got lucky and picked up a good quality double-pack from ebay for £10 a few years ago.

They run perfect through SCUMMVM and you get all the fun of the gorgeous midis without the pain of 13 floppy discs.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was under the impression there WASN'T a talkie version of Monkey Island 2. Surely I am not mistaken!

If there is then I must hunt it down.

There wasn't. I just meant in general the talkie CD versions of almost all the LA point and clicks are rare, other than the ones they rereleased.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was under the impression they were still pretty widely available, I know there's a Monkey Island 1 and 2 pack in my local game, and also a Day of the Tentacle/Sam and Max double pack. The HMV nearby stocks Full Throttle too!

It's amazing how long these games last.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was under the impression they were still pretty widely available, I know there's a Monkey Island 1 and 2 pack in my local game, and also a Day of the Tentacle/Sam and Max double pack. The HMV nearby stocks Full Throttle too!

It's amazing how long these games last.

Fate of Atlantis is not unfortunately, I assume because of rights issues.

Cheapest one I can see on Ebay is $50, the two after that are $100 and $150.

The Dig, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, Day of the Tenctacle and Grim Fandango have all be rereleased though in the last few months over here.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Holy Crap, I have an original Fate of Atlantis talkie version! It's in my loft somewhere!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love Monkey Island.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And I rock out with the OST in my car occasionally.

Best visual of the day.

devoir on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh, man. Such an excellent series. Curse is definitely my favorite. And I'm of the opinion that Escape wasn't bad so much as it was just "not as good as the previous three." It had some good writing ("Don't worry, darling. I promise to love you even after rigor mortis sets in!" and "Once I find the real criminal my name will no longer me mud."/"No, but it'll still be Threepwood.") and puzzles, but was bogged down by the terrible controls and the, quite frankly, retarded Monkey Kombat.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970