As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Whiskey] Getting into the SPIRIT of things

2»

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Half water seems a bit much.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Half water seems a bit much.

It can be modified to taste of course. Most people I see keep a glass of water with their scotch and just add a little splash everytime they take a sip.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Bourbon is made with corn...which happens to be quite plentiful in the south. Tennessee, Kentucky, et al. It's also charcoal filtered and ages in charred oak.

Bourbon is not filtered through charcoal. Jack Daniel's is.

I'm a much less experienced drinker than most in this thread, I would guess, but I live in Lexington, KY, about 30 minutes from Maker's Mark and all the other bourbon distilleries. Bourbon is an awesome whiskey, and the one I have the most experience with. It, unlike all other whiskeys, legally must be aged in freshly charred oak barrels. In fact, most other whiskeys (Scotch, Irish) are aged in used bourbon barrels, as bourbon is the largest source of used barrels.

In regards to brands, Maker's Mark is the most recognized, and is most peoples introduction to bourbon. musanman pretty much hit the nail on the head though, and I wholeheartedly agree with him; Woodford Reserve is much better and less expensive than pretty much all the other bourbons. I would recommend it if you can find it. I got a bottle of it on my 21st birthday as a gift, and it's still the one I've enjoyed the most.

Matter of fact, I'm going to be taking his advice and try out some of those scotches.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    matsurimatsuri Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is so overwhelming comment that I have read in Loooong time.
    Anyways, I love whiskey.. but I prefer RUM..

Cheers

matsuri on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    Bourbon is made with corn...which happens to be quite plentiful in the south. Tennessee, Kentucky, et al. It's also charcoal filtered and ages in charred oak.
    musanman pretty much hit the nail on the head though, and I wholeheartedly agree with him; Woodford Reserve is much better and less expensive than pretty much all the other bourbons. I would recommend it if you can find it. I got a bottle of it on my 21st birthday as a gift, and it's still the one I've enjoyed the most.

Matter of fact, I'm going to be taking his advice and try out some of those scotches.

Cheers. I'm going to Belterra this friday meet me there and we can have a drink.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey, have any of you guys had the gold label Makers Mark? I'm wondering why my local liquor sells it at 3 dollars above johnny walker red.

It's a fairly smooth and sweet bourbon; I guess I've just never seen it before I came up to Alaska. I bought the last bottle, by the way.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got into whiskey through bourbon, by means of perfect bourbon manhattans to be precise.

Manhattans are a great way to enjoy whiskey and worth a try. I believe Jim Beam was the first bourbon I had in a Manhattan. I've seen a lot of people suggesting Maker's Mark, though it's not worth the price in my opinion. If you're going to go the expensive route I'd suggest Knob Creek instead. I drink a lot of Wild Turkey now, and while I love the taste, most people can't abide it so I'd wait to try that one.

I'm also a Scotch drinker now. My favorite has got to be the Macallan 18 (though the 12 is much more affordable and will do fine in a pinch). I'm also a big fan of Lagavulin. It's very peaty. I dated a girl who refused to kiss me after I drank it.

I've never been able to abide Irish Whiskey honestly. Powers is tolerable, but I can't stand Bushmills.

oldsak on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love Whiskey and Scotch in particular. I would highly suggest that you find a semi-experienced buddy or go to a tasting event. If you aren’t told what to expect or what to “taste” for, you’ll just feel the burn and might not appreciate it. However, if you have someone that can say “see if you notice the vanilla in this” or “this is has a hint of something sweet in the finish” you will start to be able to notice those things.

I love Scotch because when I open a new bottle, everyone has a glass and we talk about what we taste. Each sip is better than the last because you have a better understanding of what you are drinking. Then you get into fights about the most subtle things. Sometime thereafter, the bottle’s gone, and you’re piss drunk with your friends. What’s not to love?

LaPuzza on