As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Purcashed a broken 360 at Gamestop

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I purchased an 360 Pro at Gamestop today. When I got home I opened it up and noticed several things:

1. The end of the faceplate opposite the DVD drive was broken. It looks cracked and I can see a part or two that has broken off behind it. I didn't want to touch it because I might make it worse.

2. The front of the box said Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza are included. However, only MUA was in the box. Forza was no where to be found.

3. I looked at the seal that the box was closed with, and I noticed that it looked like the box was opened and then sealed again with an additional seal.

I figure that someone probably bought it and either noticed it was broken (or broke it) and returned it. I have no idea where Forza went (maybe stolen?).

I'm going to take the console back tomorrow and ask for a replacement. Is there anything I should know going in? How will the manager know that I didn't just take the copy of Forza?

Mace1370 on

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    I purchased an 360 Pro at Gamestop today. When I got home I opened it up and noticed several things:

1. The end of the faceplate opposite the DVD drive was broken. It looks cracked and I can see a part or two that has broken off behind it. I didn't want to touch it because I might make it worse.

2. The front of the box said Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza are included. However, only MUA was in the box. Forza was no where to be found.

3. I looked at the seal that the box was closed with, and I noticed that it looked like the box was opened and then sealed again with an additional seal.

I figure that someone probably bought it and either noticed it was broken (or broke it) and returned it. I have no idea where Forza went (maybe stolen?).

I'm going to take the console back tomorrow and ask for a replacement. Is there anything I should know going in? How will the manager know that I didn't just take the copy of Forza?

Before Microsoft started putting out the 360's with MUA/Forza 2 packed in, the stores received some extra copies of the game to put in the unbundled Pro's they still had left, meaning the manager had to open up the new 360, put in the games, and reseal it.

This is probably what happened to you. And probably the manager was dumb and forgot one of the games.

Also UPS sucks and they probably dropped/kicked the box that had the 360 you got in it.

Bring it back with the receipt, let them know what's up, they'll swap it out with a different 360.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Before Microsoft started putting out the 360's with MUA/Forza 2 packed in, the stores received some extra copies of the game to put in the unbundled Pro's they still had left, meaning the manager had to open up the new 360, put in the games, and reseal it.

This is probably what happened to you. And probably the manager was dumb and forgot one of the games.

Also UPS sucks and they probably dropped/kicked the box that had the 360 you got in it.

Bring it back with the receipt, let them know what's up, they'll swap it out with a different 360.

uh, no he bought a bundled copy. See how it says "The front of the box said Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza are included"? Someone broke the 360, stole a game, and returned it.

Just explain nicely and you'll have no problems.

TheSonicRetard on
  • FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    the only issue I see popping up is the lack of forza in the box. Other then that, I don't see any reason why the manager would give you a hard time about swapping systems, so long as SNs match up you're golden.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, to your credit, its not like stealing a copy of Forza would get you anywhere. It has the approximate resale value of a stale cinnamon raisin bagel.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Tapeworm711Tapeworm711 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did you OPEN the Game? The games are in a Dual Case. It looks almost like its JUST MUA, but if you look at the bottom, there might be a forza logo and inside a separate Forza2 disc.

Just a thought.

Tapeworm711 on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm assuming that you intended to buy the system new, right? Sometimes a used system comes in still in the box, and in the confusion of the holiday rush one thing can get mistake for another. It's also possible that some scammer returned this system as "unopened", and the clerks didn't catch it.

My advice is simply to be polite and understanding. First thing you should do is call before coming in, so that they will expect you. If your schedule is flexible at all, ask them if there is any particular time that would be best for them for you to come in. Explain the situation to the manager, tell him that you understand that these mix-ups do occur, andlet him know how much you appreciate him going through the trouble of sorting it all out.

As long as you are polite and forth coming, no reasonable manager is going to suspect you of foul play. If you DO get any trouble from the manager, escalate things to the District Manager ASAP. DOn't do this unless you have to, of course, but getting to the DM level will get things done.

I know that what I'm suggesting entails you going out of your way a little bit when YOU were the one who was ultimately wronged here, but trust me; if you go about things this way, it'll ultimately be easier on you in the end. If you show up confrontational, which WOULD be within your right, from what happened to you, it's only going to agitate further folks who are ALREADY stressed out from the season.

As long as you are polite and personable, you'll be viewed as a welcome alternative to deal with compared to the rabid crowds of parents DEMANDING that they get Wiis before Christmas, even though they've waited until this last minute to go shopping.

Evander on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did you OPEN the Game? The games are in a Dual Case. It looks almost like its JUST MUA, but if you look at the bottom, there might be a forza logo and inside a separate Forza2 disc.

Just a thought.

This.

The games come in one case, with MUA art on one side and F2 art on the other. Inside are two seperate discs.

Evander on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

uh, no he bought a bundled copy. See how it says "The front of the box said Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza are included"? Someone broke the 360, stole a game, and returned it.

Just explain nicely and you'll have no problems.

Uh, see how I said that the unbundled ones that were left had to be made INTO bundles by opening them up and sticking the games in? And then the manager would put a sticker on the box him/herself

Or yes someone stole it and some employee was stupid when taking it back in and didn't check

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys. Turns out I'm an idiot and didn't look at the back of the game case so Forza 2 was in there after all. I returned it today without a hitch, but there was some weirdness. The guy at the register typed in the serial number and said the 360 was originally from bestbuy. How is that even possible? Maybe someone bought one at GS and one at BB and then returned the console I bought to GS?

Anyways, it matters not. I have my replacement console and am happily plugging away at Mass Effect!

Mace1370 on
    edited December 2007
    I have no idea how the guy at GameStop would know that the 360 came from BestBuy. There's no way to check that at GameStop.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have no idea how the guy at GameStop would know that the 360 came from BestBuy. There's no way to check that at GameStop.

Unless the dude at GameStop bought it at BestBuy in order to...complete some unholy ritual? Shit, I don't know.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In a college class of mine 2 years ago a guy was telling us how he tried to exchange a PS2 at Walmart. He was pissed because they scanned it and said he purchased it at Target and to go deal with them. He then proceeded to tell us I bought it on an employee discount when I still worked at Target. :roll:

Stores accessing databases sometimes FTW.

Dark Shroud on