As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

recommend me a ragnarok-type MMO

squidgetsquidget Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
I kinda want to get back into a MMO again. I haven't really played anything for over a year. The only MMO to hold my attention for a significant amount of time was ragnarok online. I played for 18 months. My characters are pretty high and I have tried all the classes that I deem interesting so I don't want to go back.
Is there something else that is similar to ragnarok in (art)style and ease of use?

So before we start, games I have tried but fell out of within 30 days so no need to suggest again:
WoW
Star Wars Galaxies
FFXI
CoH
Tantra Online
Maple Story (ok this was more like 2months but I still don't want to play again)

What can I say, I like sprites.

I apologize if this should be in the main game forum and not the sub. If so, MODS please move.

thanks
-b.

"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde
squidget on

• king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=43158

Should satisfy your needs pretty well. Not necessarily sprites, but not far off either :)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    in terms of graphics, the closest would be trickster online. Can't say much for the gameplay though, but it seems similar enough

http://www.tricksteronline.com/

Asamof the Horrible on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be completely honest, if you take any Korean MMO aside from Lineage and the Lineage Clone (I forget the name), you're almost guaranteed to find a game like Ragnarok Online (I played on and off for a long time). After the massive success a lot of the same grindy-type anime clones sprouted up.

That being said, I tried alot of different Korean MMOs and none really came close to the simplicity and somewhat addicting gameplay of RO. (yeah not what you wanted to hear)

To try to add something productive to the thread, if you liked RO you might give ROSE Online a shot. It's was like Ragnarok 1.5, sort of a Gravity stopgag while they tried to get RO2 done, but they still haven't managed to do that.

Edit for link: http://www.roseonlinegame.com/ (Almost all of the ROSE Online servers were shut down abroad, but the NA Rose and Japanese Rose are still going I think)

zanetheinsane on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you liked Ragnarok Online, you'll probably love Secret of the Solstice.

It's a Ragnarok clone, down to the camera controls and engrish-ridden quests.

I played it for a while, as it's in Open Beta and did enjoy the 30 minutes I spent on it; unfortunately (Or fortunately as it may be.) I don't have the time or inclination to play two MMOs; even moreso when I much prefer City of Heroes/Villains over another thai/korean/chinese/japanese grindfest with cute chibis.

aunsoph on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of Trickster:
    Cute and fun characters based on bunny, sheep, raccoon, cat, and buffalo.
    "Oh hey bunnies, sheep, raccoons, and cats are cu-"
    "And Buffalo."
    "o_O"

The Muffin Man on
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of Trickster:
    Cute and fun characters based on bunny, sheep, raccoon, cat, and buffalo.
    "Oh hey bunnies, sheep, raccoons, and cats are cu-"
    "And Buffalo."
    "o_O"

Look me in the eyes and say that this fellow ain't cute. (Spoilered for total h-rape.)
    dsc_1543.jpg

Not that buffalo girls aren't creepy, mind you.

aunsoph on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Play EvE with Merch Industrial it's way better than any of those gay games.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EvE players, the Apple zealots of the MMO world.

Glal on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    hammer.jpg

108px-Nail.agr.jpg
    180px-Jeff_Stryker_original.jpg

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oh you <3

Asamof the Horrible on
  • squidgetsquidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    zanetheinsane, I did try ROSE when it first came out. It was very buggy for me. I might try it again though.
    Yeah, it's wierd I don't know why RO was so addicting to me and others were not.

I'm going to give trickster a go thanks.

I don't know what EvE is but your pitch about it's superiority is not very convincing. I think I will pass, thank you.

What about Angels Online? I think that was the title. I saw an advert on one of the gaming sites. It looks ROish

squidget on
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think RO was addicting because honestly iRO server was a drama fest like no other, so the community is like living in a soap opera. I mean there where e whores, botters, scammers and all those dark things where like glorified in this villains of RO storyline. Basically players made the storyline not the game.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
    edited December 2007
    squidget wrote: »
    zanetheinsane, I did try ROSE when it first came out. It was very buggy for me. I might try it again though.
    Yeah, it's wierd I don't know why RO was so addicting to me and others were not.

I'm going to give trickster a go thanks.

I don't know what EvE is but your pitch about it's superiority is not very convincing. I think I will pass, thank you.

What about Angels Online? I think that was the title. I saw an advert on one of the gaming sites. It looks ROish

Seriously. Secret of the Solstice. Can't get more ROish than that.

aunsoph on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SoS is indeed a RO clone.

Also, can't let a thread like this go by without linking to the Free MMO Uberlist: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41697

Aldo on
  • squidgetsquidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    I think RO was addicting because honestly iRO server was a drama fest like no other, so the community is like living in a soap opera. I mean there where e whores, botters, scammers and all those dark things where like glorified in this villains of RO storyline. Basically players made the storyline not the game.

haha, I never thought of it that way. I guess it was a K-Drama in every sense of the word.

squidget on