As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]Vampire: The Requiem - Bloodfeud - Recruiting. Again.

Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Critical Failures
So after playing Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons I've got a hankering to play some NWoD, but no one seems to be doing games in reasonable timezones for us poor, overlooked europeans. Queue me. While it's been a while since I GM'd anything, I figure what the hell, someone needs to step up. After looking over the WtF and VtR books, I find that the VtR book is easier on me, as while things have changed storywise, it isn't half as bad as the things they've done with how werewolves behave, and their outlook on things. So VtR it is.

But what do I mean with a reasonable timezone? Well, right now 6 PM GMT+0 is looking pretty sweet on my end, most likely midweek, ie Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. As we are just entering the season of gift giving and corporate theft, I figure setting the start to sometime in January/February, after the 20th to allow for people to get back to normal.

Generic stuff to keep in mind if you plan on playing:
1. Missing the first session, or two consecutive sessions after that without a damn good reason will see your character dead in some horrible mishap involving two midgets and a rubber didlo.

2. No fucking "Woe is me, I am cursed, yadda yadda". You're a fucking vampire, so what if you can't walk out in the sun anymore? The fun stuff happens late at night anyways. Think about it, if you suddenly become a vampire, what would be your reaction? "Shit, this is some awesome fucking stuff" or "Oh no, my tan!". Regrets are fine, basing your concept around being a whiny bitch will also end up in a mishap involving two midgets and a rubber didlo. Maybe even two.

3. This game will be played on IRC, most likely slashnet, seeing some of us ODAMers hang there occasionally. I might also consider doing it over Ventrilo, but that'd require people to act like fucking adults, and from experience, adults and Vampire are about as common as moonlandings.

4. While the occasional metagame comment is fine and even encouraged on occasion, the RP channel will be for serious fucking RP. If you start behaving like a child, I'll treat you as such. You don't want that. Piss me off and I turn into one very very mean and discriminating Storyteller.

5. Powergaming. I don't mind it. Within limits. To put it into an example that most people understand I'll borrow from DnD. Multiclassing is fine. Taking level 1 in 15 classes because it gives you +1 as opposed to only +0 if you didn't is retarded and will lead to me offing your character in a horrible fashion. This is not a contest people, it's about having fun and playing out a story.

6. I am looking for no more than 4 people, as I haven't GM'd in a while and I find that taking on too many, especially online just kills games. There is also no "First come, first served" rule or some such. I choose whomever I want once I figure the interest is there. What does this mean? If you come into this thread, unable to form a coherent sentence, let alone spell even the simplest words properly(ie the, who, etc) that will count against you. If you signed up 10 minutes prior to posting your interest, that will also count against you, though not nearly as much. Prove that you can string together a few words, post an interesting concept, these things really help give me a good impression of you. And in this case, that is all that counts.

7. The is spelled the. Not teh. Not t3h. Internet slang is an abomination, and while shorthand will be fine OOC, if you suddenly start using things like BRB as opposed to typing out "be right back" in the RP thread I will tear you apart limb from limb.

8. Roleplay is Serious Businessâ„¢. But you can still have fun.

In closing, I haven't really settled on how I want to run the story, but knowing myself, at least the first few sessions will be pretty straightforward, most likely just avarage troubleshooting and some fighting until I get a better grasp of the nuances with both the new system and the new story.

Edit: Almost forgot the most important rule.

0. It's Malkavians. With an A. O? We don't need no stinking O's.

Cynic Jester on

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It does sound appealing, but I would presume that you'd have to have a decent working knowledge of the system for this to flow well?

Wildcat on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    While knowledge with the Storyteller system is a plus, the storyteller system itself is pretty easy to pick up on. You roll X d10 based on how awesome your character is, any dice that turn up 8 or 9 add a success. Any dice that turn up 10 adds a success and gives you another roll. Single success=you make it in most cases. More successes=More awesome.

Lacking a knowledge of Vampire is not a negative at all. You really are not supposed to know all about the clans and such, you're new to the whole thing. The less you know, the better some might say.

In any case, knowledge, or lack thereof, won't really be a problem.

Cynic Jester on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't mind jumping in on this, though as of my current work schedule, the only day I could play is Tuesday. I'm American though, and I have never been to Europe, so I wouldn't know most of the major landmarks. Of course, I could just incorporate that into my character:

Joseph Streeter: College dropout, came into a little bit of money so decided to go backpacking in Europe, got turned by a Gangrel gypsy type. A conflicted character, as he is very smart and not much of a fighter, though the idea of eternal unlife seems pretty kickass to him. Plus playing the "fucking cowboy American" would be pretty fun.

I already have the character about 85% complete, as the college dropout schtik is one I wanted to give a whirl; I just haven't had the chance to play him yet.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited December 2007
    Being American or European doesn't make a difference to me, provided people show up on time. The planned time can be a tad hard for Americans to hit though, but if people work nights or whatever, feel free to hop on.

Cynic Jester on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought the core rulebook and the Requiem book on a whim the other week after playing a lot of Bloodlines: Colons, so I would like to join this. Haven't got a character concept yet, though I can make one by game time. What time would you host the games?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    T/W/Th 6:00pm GST+0, per the OP

delroland on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    T/W/Th 6:00pm GST+0, per the OP

Well, that'll teach me to read long posts at 1.30am...but 6pm sounds great, I could manage that easily.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn, I've been wanting to play in a Vampire game for quite some time. I'd love to get in. 6:00pm GST is what, 10 AM in California? I can do that. Let's see...

Character: Zack Harbor, a professional surfer in Europe for a surfing gig. Zack has a monstrous ego. When he finished with the surfing parts he decided to check out Europe some. When a fan came up to him and asked for an autograph he was an asshole and made the fan kiss his feet before giving out the autograph. Whoops, turns out the fan was a Nosferatu and the Nosferatu punish excessive pride. The Nosferatu waited till later that night, when Zack was in his hotel sleeping, and turned him. The Nosferatu then taught him the bare bones of being a vampire, gave him a lecture on pride and its dangers, and fled into the night. Zack, however, is still an arrogant son of a bitch.

So, how's it sound?

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited December 2007
    Sounds about right.

And yeah, I think 6 PM GMT is like 10 AM or something pacific.

Cynic Jester on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope this takes off... I wouldn't mind watching/reading a game of this..... I have been a wanna be PnP person for ages... just don't know enough to play. Hilarious situations of culture shock, and species shock will abound, im sure.

joshua1 on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So when we stat out characters are you going to have us use the standard amount of points? No extra xp or anything? And what type of game will this be? Starting from embrace, older, ancient? I'm just so damned excited!

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would dearly love to play this and downloaded the 'demo' thing from the white wolf website, however this would be my first time doing a pen and paper RPG, so how does one go about it?

Mr Bubbles on
    edited December 2007
    Well, the easiest way would be to get your hands on and read the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Requiem corebooks, both cheapest from amazon.com.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would absolutely love to get in on this, I have owned the WoD core, VtR core, and the Storyteller's Handbook (or whatever it's called, I can't be arsed to look) for going on 2 years now, and have only ever run a single, poorly planned session of vanilla WoD. I've never actually played, which is what I really wanted to do. Unfortunately, I live in whatever the hell timezone Indiana would be; plus my schedule would make it difficult to be able to log in at the scheduled playtime.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
    edited January 2008
    /bump

Because I am still interested in playing and want to know if this is still in the works.

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    This is still in the works. I've got some NPCs written up and a general idea of where to place it, but I'm not planning on locking anything down until the jan/feb switch.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    :^:

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    Sweet, I'm still in.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Put me down as interested, though since I can only promise to make Tuesdays (I could probably make Thursdays but can't guarantee it) it might be best to think of me as a reserve choice.

On the plus side I know the system pretty well (well enough that I've semi-successfully gm'd Mage fer chrissakes) and own both the corebooks and a few other WoD supplements here and there.

Daniel O'Hanlon: A student from Liverpool, he was embraced almost by accident after an attempted feeding cost him his life (his sire was herself a neonate, drew to much blood, panicked and gave him the embrace). After accidentally killing his sire in his first feeding frenzy he went on the run, terrified at what he'd done. His fellow vampires eventually caught up with him and, determining him to be potentially useful, an elder had him bloodbound and pressed him into service in exchange for teaching him the ropes of vampiric society. While he's long since come to terms with being a vampire and even come to enjoy the benefits of disciplines, the Beast still terrifies him and his major goal is to conquer the frenzy. To this end he joined the Ordo Dracul and hopes to gain enough understanding of the vampiric condition to overcome his Beast.

I haven't come to a final decision on clan yet but I'm leaning towards Ventrue.

Paranoia833 on
    edited January 2008
    Righto, time to get this bitch on the road. We're approaching end of Jan, I've got lots of stuff written up and I feel the interest might be there for this to work.

Right now I'm looking at starting the first week of febuary, IE the 5th, 6th or 7th, depending on what works out for the biggest bunch of people. Character creation will be done prior to the session, I'll most likely do a mini-session on the 2nd or 3rd of feb just to have people stat up characters, maybe some joint backstories, that sort of thing.

Gamewise, we will start of in the city of Dublin, Ireland, both because I currently live there and also because it is pretty easy to envision any of the covenants having a shop there.

Character creation wise, I will accept almost anything, provided the concept is good and I feel it'll play well with a group.

I will lock down the date come next week, Wednesday or Thursday, so if you are interested, get poastin and let me know your preferred time. Concepts would be nice too.

Cynic Jester on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think 6pm would be too early for me, unfortunately. I'll still be very interested in reading along with your game though.

Wildcat on
    edited January 2008
    The later the better, seeing as I'm in california. So long as you're not starting before 4 PM GMT+0 I can make it. In terms of days of the week, I'd prefer if we didn't do it on Saturdays, but if we have to I can still make it. All the other days are good.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I <3 Dublin and would consider actually giving money to WW in order to play a game set there. This may, in fact, make me a crazy person. I'm at GMT-5 I believe, and I work during the day so Ventrilo would not be an option. I have played V:tM before so I am not a total noob, but I am relatively unfamiliar with V:tR.

I guess I should be considered an alternate, because you might have a better game with more experienced people in a more convenient time zone.

Quoth on
    edited January 2008
    My schedule availabilities in GMT:

Monday: 1am - 10am, 6pm - 10am (Tue)
    Tuesday: 6pm - 9am (Wed)
    Wednesday: not available
    Thursday: 4am - 9am
    Friday: 4am - 9am
    Saturday: 5am - 8am
    Sunday: 2am - 7am

So, yeah. Monday and Tuesday from 6pm to whenever is best for me. Or possibly Saturday/Sunday night (sunday/Monday morning, really), REAL late, but that may be too late for you to start.

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    To clarify, the games will be going down midweek. The weekend stuff is just a one time meet and greet of sorts, fleshing out characters and such.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I'm not going to be around the weekend of the 2nd, so if you do chargen then I won't be able to make it. Is that okay?

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited January 2008
    Should be okay. It is mostly just a pre-check of people and if they're willing to commit. Helps weed out the forum only people that are gung ho about it then never shows up while still posting regurarly on the forum. Fuckers.

In that case though I'd like a finished sheet along with a decent backstory of how you ended up in Dublin, how you ended up as your covenant and a general description of your character, looks and personality.

Also, anyone wanting to play Ordo Dracul will need to clear it with me. I know they are awesome, but they are also different.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    The weekend session I can make easily. Aside from that as long as it's outside 9 till 5 I can promise to show up mondays, tuesdays and fridays and probably thursdays (although there will likely be the occaisional thursday I can't make it). Wednesdays are the only day that I absolutely cannot free up.

I'd be quite interested in playing Ordo Dracul, mostly as the concept I'm floating wants mastery over the beast and that's part of what the covenant offers. Don't mind switching covenants if it'll be inconvenient though.

Paranoia833 on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well there's a Gangrel and a Nosferatu, so that leaves three clans to choose from... any thoughts on the relative usefulness of one over another? I'm already playing a bard in a D&D PbP but I can be a Daeva here if needed, otherwise the Mekhet intrigue me.

Paranoia, are you thinking Ventrue or Mekhet with that covenant?

Quoth on
    edited January 2008
    Don't feel that you need to avoid picking a particular clan just yet just because someone else expressed an interest in playing that. Two gangrels don't do the exact same things(Well, they can, but that's not my point). It's all about how you want to play your character. My favorite character ever was a Gangrel socializer who focused on utilizing his feral nature to unnerve the people he communicated with. In the same group we also had the more standard gangrel "grow claws and cut you" character.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    Was thinking Ventrue, but the build I'm toying with actually sinks his first three dots into Animalism (mostly cause I feel animalism's underused as a discipline), social disciplines can come later and Coils I see as something my character would achieve after much roleplay.

Paranoia833 on
    edited January 2008
    I finished the numbers for my character and threw it in a myth weavers sheet.

Here it is.

Of course, it's not set in stone, and if there is something I need to change or that you disallow, let me know. Otherwise, what do you think?

Edit: also, I have not yet assigned the one point for Haven, because I am not sure if we are pooling Haven points off the bat. I can do it either way.

Edit2: I am still playing with the backstory. The general one remains the same, but I am tweaking the specifics. I am thinking that my character's sire (is that still the used term?) was a Gangrel member of the Circle of the Crone. He met her near the hostel in Dublin he was staying at. After turning me, she showed me the ropes and hooked him up with a small haven, then split with a "once you're ready to learn more, come find me" sort of thing.

I'm still fuzzy on why she turned my character in the first place. Any suggestions? Or would it be legit to leave that open?

He will be in Dublin because he wanted to visit Ireland and stayed in Dublin for a couple of days before he intended to continue backpacking out in the country, but his plans were interrupted by the whole vampirism thing.

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    No pooling right off the bat. I reckon all of you will be recent arrivals to Dublin unless someone delivers me a backstory that just screams of starting in Dublin.

As to the sheet, looks fine on first look. Though Hide Emo.? Is he an emo and feels the need to hide it? =P
    I'm guessing it's short for emotions

In seriousness, that is pretty much what a recently turned vamp would look like. None of this "3 points in Protean, 4 str and con, 5 brawl" bullshit that I see flying around. In general I'd like for the characters to be normal people who have turned, not a special agent/navy seal/guy raised in the forest fighting bears bare handed(That last made for one of the best characters I've ever played with though).

If you want to start with more than 3 points in a skill, you better have a damn good reason. "Practiced martial arts once a week when he was 10" is not a good enough reason to put 4 points in Brawl. Nor is "Practiced martial arts every week for the last 15 years"(That there be three points).

"Practices several hours every day, close to black belt" is a good reason for 4 points in brawl. This applies to every skill when you design a character. Your dude better have devoted a large part of his life up to the point of his turning on that particular skill. Course, after we start the game, go wild. You be vampires now. Humans are below you.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    As to the sheet, looks fine on first look. Though Hide Emo.? Is he an emo and feels the need to hide it? =P
    I'm guessing it's short for emotions

:lol: Yeah, that's "Hide Emotions", as one of his three skill specialties. The full term didn't fit on the character sheet. :P

Edit: Also, you said no emo's at the start of the thread, so I figured I had better hide it. 8-) (j/k)

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    Okay, here goes:

Zack Harbor has been a daredevil all of his life. When he was young, he was very willful and reckless. He's always been the one most likely to initiate a game of midnight hide and go seek or, later in his life, crime. He's smart, but never worked hard in school. The result is that he didn't advance beyond high school, but he did absorb the highschool curriculum quite well, with a special interest in science (gateway class to blowing things up). As a jock, Zack has become quite skilled in the athletics department, with a notable lack in social skills. Also, being a daredevil, Zack has sought out enough fights to have some skill in brawling. When Zack was young, he somehow convinced his parents to enroll him in boxing classes, which he excelled in. Also, he's had an interest in surfing ever since his first time when he was 14. It was this interest that led him backpacking through coastal European cities with some of his jock friends immediately after high-school. During this trek, Zack got in a fight with a Nosferatu in a bar simply because of his big ego. The combined might of his friends and himself overwhelmed the vampire, but later the vampire ambushed Zack pissing in an alley and turned him. The Nosferatu taught Zack the bare bones of being a vampire, the need for humility, and then fled. Zack has been wandering around Western Europe since then, and has recently come to Dublin. The Embrace has made Zack a little more cautious and less of a jackass (represented by the Nosferatu trait composure being raised), but when he commits to a course of action he commits fully. Zack is 5'9" with a slim build, bright red hair permanently shaggy, and green eyes. As a Nosferatu, Zack's pallor is sickly gray, and most people tend to assume that he is ill when they meet him.

So, good? Any changes I should make?

Zack's character sheet is here:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=40140
    I haven't decided on his merits aside from boxing yet.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited January 2008
    Well I've got a basic sheet drawn up, but if it's all the same I'll wait till the weekend session to go through the details. I'm kind of swamped with exams this week, don't worry last one's on friday.

Paranoia833 on
    edited January 2008
    Righto, I'll need a show of hands from people on who can show up for a short weekend session this weekend. Most likely it'll be on Sunday, sometime around 8-9 PM GMT unless that time is really bad for someone. I'll be heading out Friday, so I reckon that's around the time I'll be cognitive again. Could also do it Sunday if people really prefer that.

Cynic Jester on
    edited January 2008
    I'm at work Sat/Sun, but am off Monday. I have access to the boards during work, but not IRC/IM.

I start work at 5PM GMT, so I could do earlier as long as it is a relatively short session (2-3hrs tops) and we started no later than, say, 2PM.

delroland on
    edited January 2008
    I'm free this weekend so I can pretty much show whenever's convenient.

Here's the character sheet I've thrown together.

The only really exceptional bits are the 5 Presence (I figure he was pretty charismatic before his embrace, the dot that pushed him to superhuman was his free vampire dot) and the four dot mentor. With the mentor, I figured I'd let you have a bit of fun. Personally I envisaged an Ordo Dracul elder who, for reasons I'm sure will come back to bite him later on, has taken an interest in my character. That said feel free to let your imagination run wild with the mentro if you want.

Paranoia833 on
    edited January 2008
    Righto, seeing as delroland was first in, the weekend session will start at 1:30 PM Sunday. This is not a roleplaying session, just a meet and greet kind of thing, talking character builds, ensuring that there isn't too much stepping on eachothers toes. Anyone who doesn't post here or PM me a damn good reason for not showing up won't be considered for the actual game.

Cynic Jester on