As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]IVUS FOR THE REST OF US

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If anybody cares about what I think about things like 80's cartoon megahit Jem or Radar Men From the Moon or maracas, I updated the blog in my sig. I have no clue why anybody would, but the chances are good somebody is going to read it anyway.

You want to be the guy that plays maracas? You should come over during X-mas, we have parrandas every week end! A parranda is basically a group of ppl that get together at 3:00am, go to a friends house and stand outside playing music (with maracas!) until the person lets them in and gives them food.

Edit:
    The most random thing I've ever seen was this guy on the free way playing maracas in his car. But he was really into it!!! I laughed that entire day.

MagicToaster on
  • Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Chow Yun Fat

Thats all I heard.

Lewis Rice on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Shinpug wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    Wow...that certainly takes me back.

[edit] Also, my political party remains the opposition in the Bermuda government. I'm very disappointed with the general population of this island.

Im just as disappointed with the general population of this ..er continent.

How've you been Feisty? Haven't seen you online in ages. Glad to see that you're still alive and kicking. What've you been doing with yourself?

Grifter on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7txp0QTvVPk

Next in line: the end of the world.

(of course, this doesn't mean the game is actually being made)

Mayday on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Oh, it's being made. Just as it has been in the works for about a decade. There have been so many different changes including the actual game engine on a few occasions. Hopefully, it will come out eventually but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

Grifter on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Flay wrote: »
    Sweet, pity money! My rich cousins had no idea I had been admitted to hospital until a little while ago, and it earned me a hundred dollar gift voucher for borders (book store) in the mail.

Anyone got any book recommendations? I haven't read a good fantasy/sci-fi novel in ages (mediocre ones, yes, but no great ones). I think they stock a fair few graphic novels too, and maybe even some decent art books.

Try Last Call by Tim Powers. Probably my favourite fantasy novel.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of him, I really enjoyed On Stranger Tides!

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My dirty secret:
    I love browsing cheese selections at grocery stores, but never buying.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sounds cool Ori, I'll check it out.

By the way, I was browsing the bookstore the other way I caught sight of an 'art of spirited away' artbook... And then I caught sight of the pricetag; $70.

I love the stuff studio ghibli churns out but it really can't be worth that much...

... can it?

Flay on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2007

By the way, I was browsing the bookstore the other way I caught sight of an 'art of spirited away' artbook... And then I caught sight of the pricetag; $70.

I love the stuff studio ghibli churns out but it really can't be worth that much...

... can it?

I dunno, I've got that book and it is pretty dang awesome.

But then, I only had to pay $35 US for it. :D

EDIT: and that car-drivin' maraca man knows where it's at.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

... can it?

Amazon is everybody's friend, fuck bookstores!

It has sweet art, of course, though my favourite Ghibli book is probably this Totoro one I bought imported. Such pretty paintery!

miyazaki_totoro01.jpg

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited December 2007
    that car-drivin' maraca man knows where it's at.

I'm gonna get you a pair for your birthday.

In other news, I'm baby sitting 3 kids; 1, 3 and 4 years old... help... HELP!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did you breastfeed them yet

little kids need their breast milk.

Spectre-x on
    edited December 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Did you breastfeed them yet

little kids need their breast milk.

I'm pretty flat chested :(, I guess I'll never have awesome boobs.

MagicToaster on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I guess I'll never have awesome boobs.

Not with that attitude you wont

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Guys, just a heads up.

If the time every comes that I'm obligated to get you a present of some sort;

You better tell me at least a vague indication of what the hell you want.

My brother did not.

Therefore, he's getting this:
    airsupply.jpg

YEAH.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If he doesn't like it, you should consider a DNA test. Just to be sure.

MKR on
    edited December 2007
    My toe nails (and most of my toes, for that matter) are Pretty Pricess Pink from last night's baby sitting adventure. 4 year old little girls are terrible manicurists.

MagicToaster on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Michael Crichton - The Sphere

edit: fixed.
    edit: thought i quoted that...

r-jasper on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's Crichton.

Also, did anyone else notice that Gabe was baking penis cookies in today's comic?

Tam on
    edited December 2007
    Tam wrote: »
    It's Crichton.

Also, did anyone else notice that Gabe was baking penis cookies in today's comic?

A salute to the fine folks at SE++.

MKR on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah, that time of year again where you spend over a week at the in-laws and your own relatives, away from the comfort of your own home, your own pc, your own television + console(s) but at the same time you're staring at a fancy christmas tree and under that tree are packages.... packages that you hope contain wondrous gifts. Also, there's chocolate... lots of chocolate.

Really the only downside is that I'm sure the next few days will be filled with the tv being on and the channel tuned to whatever Christmas movie is on this year.. oh surprise, the same ones as last year!

Fantasyrogue on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Uuugh. I've tried shopping around for an affordable monitor upgrade at least 3 times this year and every time I just throw my hands up in the air and give up. With christmas coming up soon I have once again subjected myself to this madness.

The first monitor I was eyeing is apparently subject to some kind of bullshit 'panel lottery' whereby it's a complete crapshoot whether you get an S-IPS panel (the kind I want) or some other cheaper panel that dell quietly switched over to after everybody wrote reviews for it, and it seems that they're discontinuing this model soon anyway.

The next one got great reviews from every source I looked at but further inspection revealed it was actually a monitor with a TN panel, which is the worst kind of TFT panel for accurate color reproduction and contrast ratios.

Then I thought I found the jackpot with a very high quality multimedia S-IPS display from NEC that normally retails for $600, listed on newegg for $350, until I realized that it was an open box item which means some other jackass bought it and sent it back for god-knows what and I'd basically be gambling on his idiocy and hoping that it's in good condition, and also it wouldn't come with any cables or accessories and I'd have 15 days from the PURCHASE to send it back to them on my own dollar if anything was wrong with it (shipping during the holiday season no less...wonderful). Not only has NEC stopped making this monitor as well, the hardOCP forums have enlightened me that apparently there is a trend among LCD manufacters AWAY from affordable S-IPS displays and this particular monitor is supposedly one of the last good ones, since apparently what people really want is a shitty cheap LCD to read their email on.

Scosglen on
    edited December 2007
    So this new camera is worth every penny.

Solid interface, sharp photos, etc. I shot the linkage dealy that connects the line to the tower on a high capacity power line a quarter mile away. It's not a face, but the face detection somehow worked out that it might be of interest and focused on it.

And that's in full auto with no tripod, on a cloudy day.

MKR on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I want to get into photography again, but I seem to be lacking a camera right now.

Should I ask for suggestions here (if I should, this is me asking for suggestions) or start an H/A thread?

Mai-Kero on
    edited December 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So, I want to get into photography again, but I seem to be lacking a camera right now.

Should I ask for suggestions here (if I should, this is me asking for suggestions) or start an H/A thread?

So far I've been pretty impressed by my Canon Powershot SX100 IS. I was surprised to find that the included software wasn't useless. The included batteries and card are useless, but you'll be getting rechargeables and a couple 2gb/4gb cards anyway.

MKR on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've just seen 'I am Legend'.

Man did I get blown away. I can't describe why but the atmosphere in the movie is so cool, kudos to Willard Smith too.
    Now I feel like drawing stuff.

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Natri wrote: »
    I've just seen 'I am Legend'.

Man did I get blown away. I can't describe why but the atmosphere in the movie is so cool, kudos to Willard Smith too.
    Now I feel like drawing stuff.

Did you read the book? If so, were they anything alike?

Tam on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oh my god I am eating french fries made from belgian chocolate

Spectre-x on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    oh my god I am eating french fries made from belgian chocolate

There exist french fries made from belgian chocolate? That sounds like the best thing ever.

Fantasyrogue on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So guys if you have any idea about how to volunteer overseas for summer-long or year-long periods of time, you should wander over to my thread in H/A and throw me some advice.

NightDragon on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

So far I've been pretty impressed by my Canon Powershot SX100 IS. I was surprised to find that the included software wasn't useless. The included batteries and card are useless, but you'll be getting rechargeables and a couple 2gb/4gb cards anyway.

Is it the right number of megapixels for quality shots? Is megapixel even a useful form a measurement for how good a camera is? Also, standard SD, or micro or something?

Mai-Kero on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Megapixels mean nothing. It's at the point where it's as big a marketing tool as digital zoom.

bombardier on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anything after 8 is sort of ludicrous. Seriously. Unless you're making billboards.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Anything after 8 is sort of ludicrous. Seriously. Unless you're making billboards.

I thought billboards were like, ridiculously low resolution. You could probably take a 4 megapixel picture and slap it on a billboard and the picture would look fine. I mean, you're viewing them from the highway. You don't even need to get within 40 feet.

NightDragon on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Projeck on
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't watched it yet, and I probably wont until tomorrow, but I skipped about halfway into the movie and apparently she named one of the puppies Mango?

If so, that's pretty funny, because my username comes from my kitten, who is also known as Mango.

Mangoes on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Megapixels mean nothing. It's at the point where it's as big a marketing tool as digital zoom.

One thing about megapixels is something to consider though. If you divide the amount of megapixels with the physical size of the CMOS(or other type) panel, a higher ratio in a cheap camera means that someone's cut corners somewhere.

no_toast on
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Is it the right number of megapixels for quality shots? Is megapixel even a useful form a measurement for how good a camera is? Also, standard SD, or micro or something?

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/herebepixels/anomnomnom.jpg
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/herebepixels/pixelmacro.jpg (NSFHeadaches)
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/herebepixels/bulb.jpg
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/herebepixels/zoomzoomzoom.jpg (about 50 feet away, on full auto)

Past a certain point, megapixels are just a marketing tool. The sensor in this is a bit small, but the optics are good, and it takes good pictures.

Edit: It supports MMC and SD

MKR on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My gingerbread house just imploded, after I spent half the day preparing it...

This makes me sad. :(

Also, while we're on the subject, my mum just rushed out and bought herself a brand new (and fairly expensive, though I don't know the price-tag) digital camera to take with her to New-Zealand. I wish she'd asked me to do some research first, I wanna know if it's a load of crap or not.

I'll see if I can find out the model (so far, all I know is that it's a canon).

EDIT: It's a Canon PowerShot G9, which is apparently fairly decent.

Flay on
This discussion has been closed.