Options

[CHAT]IVUS FOR THE REST OF US

• Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know there is worse I think. I noticed last night that CNN is starting to use distressed type faces. At least in the medical report by Gupta. I'm not sure what was worse, the web 2.0 look that became so popular, or the new bandwagon jump on grunge.

Veritas on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so Microsoft just offered $44.6 billion for yahoo...

Prospicience on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so Microsoft just offered $44.6 billion for yahoo...

This is the sort of stuff that makes me wish for a global net-neutrality agreement. Within ten years, 1/4 of the internet will belong to Microsoft, Google, Newscorp, and a few other huge companies. Also, hasn't yahoo been dead since like 2002?

Check this shit out:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=511688&in_page_id=1770&ito=newsnow

Giant pictures drawn with a ballpoint pen oh my goodness.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That is a terrifyingly realistic photo. It took me a while to realize that the top picture wasn't reference, it was actually a finished piece.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am drinking (beer) at work while doing stuff in PS, Illustrator, and Flash... I love my job.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am sitting at my desk being as quiet as possible so I don't wake my cat... I hate my job.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your cat works in the cubical next to yours?

in_absentia on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am sitting down and writing a story about preemptive conquests and failed diplomacy.

MKR on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am drinking (beer) at work while doing stuff in PS, Illustrator, and Flash... I love my job.

I am photoshopping text on candy for Medicare people while drinking Snapple... and my breath smells bad...I can sense it... I have so much stress right now! Also... must kill copywriter!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Your cat works in the cubical next to yours?
    No. As I alluded to (or, attempted to ingrain into the very fibers of your being) in Projeck's dump thread, I'm 14. I am also homeschooled, making for a pretty boring day.

And no, I'm not nearly as anti-social as those bastards make you believe.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm, never pegged you for being so young, Mang.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's because I strive to eliminate the misconception that all teenagers are dumbasses.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mango wrote:
    No. As I alluded to (or, attempted to ingrain into the very fibers of your being) in Projeck's dump thread, I'm 14. I am also homeschooled, making for a pretty boring day.

And no, I'm not nearly as anti-social as those bastards make you believe.

My mistake, I don't think I ever got around to seeing that dump thread...

[edit] Actually, I did read that thread... but stopped once the art disappeared and the conversation took over.[/edit]

in_absentia on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mango and Projeck bring hope for humanity to my heart.

If the law in my country ever allows it, I'm sure as hell going to home-school my kids. If I ever buy me a couple of those. I have yet to see a store that sells them (no idea where do people buy them and nobody will tell me).

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    I have yet to see a store that sells them

You don't have a Wal-Mart either?

in_absentia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was thrown into homeschool on September 12th, 2001. I'm sure you can figure out why.

But yeah, it's been greatly beneficial for me. I haven't been raped since!

Here's a tip (if you ever find where you can get the kids): let them learn the basics in school, then take them out right after they can read. It makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    or put them in a Montessori school, those things are rockin'

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Move to America! S'long as Hillary isn't President, it's pretty okay over here!

Mangoes on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    All of my sister's children have been homeschooled by her. She has her early childhood degree, though.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Kamikaze PurpleKamikaze Purple Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CapnMango wrote: »
    Move to America! S'long as Hillary isn't President, it's pretty okay over here!

So many people would leave if that happened... D:

Kamikaze Purple on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    so my little brother is rhompin' fools. 7-0 He's goin' pro now wuhoo! Oh and if hillary becomes president... oh man just please don't let this happen.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not exactly looking forward to our country's future...

@Prospicience: Good luck to your little brother.

in_absentia on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    See, now I have naked pictures of myself painted on the outside of my phone in order to prevent theft.

more of this bullshit.

Is the whole background for that thing just you facepalming?

Yes.
    beavotron wrote: »
    i tend to wonder if you use such emphasis when talking in real life, angelic bacon.

I'm sure this will come as a disappointment, but I am somewhat less intense when speaking within punching distance of actual humans.
    internetvsreality.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I needed that laugh. I'm still here... working... on this damn paper... stupid old people....

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, a movie is finally being made with Jackie Chan and Jet Li fighting each other in it, but starring some white kid and directed by the guy who directed Stuart Little and The Haunted Mansion, and involving time travel or some shit and ancient Chinese people speaking English.

Why the hell do people keep making movies that seem to do everything in their power to screw up the basic premise that everyone went to the theater to see in the first place?

Reign of Fire
    Basic, awesome premise: Tanks versus FUCKING DRAGONS
    What they actually made: A movie involving NEITHER tanks NOR dragons in 95% of its running time.

Transformers
    Basic, awesome premise: Giant fucking robots fighting each other.
    What they actually made: Some high school "comedy" bullshit about some moron kid.

Live Free or Die Hard
    Basic, awesome premise: John McClaine in a drag-out knock down bloody fight with some hardass motherfucking terrorist sons of bitches.
    What they actually made: A PG-13 tale of John McClaine and a hipster versus a bunch of band of computer hacking yuppies.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST MAKE MOVIES THAT DELIVER ON THEIR PROMISES YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy wiener schnitzels, guys-
    Rare Bill Watterson stuff!

http://ignatz.brinkster.net/cbillart.html

Tam on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, a movie is finally being made with Jackie Chan and Jet Li fighting each other in it, but starring some white kid and directed by the guy who directed Stuart Little and The Haunted Mansion, and involving time travel or some shit and ancient Chinese people speaking English.

Why the hell do people keep making movies that seem to do everything in their power to screw up the basic premise that everyone went to the theater to see in the first place?

Reign of Fire
    Basic, awesome premise: Tanks versus FUCKING DRAGONS
    What they actually made: A movie involving NEITHER tanks NOR dragons in 95% of its running time.

Transformers
    What they actually made: Some high school "comedy" bullshit about some moron kid.

Live Free or Die Hard
    Basic, awesome premise: John McClaine in a drag-out knock down bloody fight with some hardass motherfucking terrorist sons of bitches.
    What they actually made: A PG-13 tale of John McClaine and a hipster versus a bunch of band of computer hacking yuppies.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST MAKE MOVIES THAT DELIVER ON THEIR PROMISES YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Market research. I'm sure they all did well among the "Brand new Sci-fi original movie!" crowd.

Shark vs Robot 18: The milkening

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

There needs to be a jawdrop smiley.....

Seriously, those are amazing on a level I can't comprehend. Just another reason to add to the list of "why I love Bill Watterson".

in_absentia on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This right here is comedy gold, chumps:

critters.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When a movie that is all action is released, people whine that there's no story. When a movie with a little tiny bit less action is released, everyone just wanted MORE 'SPLOSIONS.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    I didn't hear a lot of whining about Shoot 'Em Up.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that's be cause the title said it all.

in_absentia on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Transformers

I have to take issue, here. Because while there was maybe a bit more teenage antics than I would have liked, especially in the first hour, there was definitely enough robot fighting to meet my requirements. Especially since this is pretty much the first big-budget Hollywood movie to do fighting Japanese robots. And anyway, now that all that teenage character-development shit is out of the way, the sequel is going to kick your Mom and Dad's asses back in time.

multimoog on
  • Options
    EnefEnef Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shoot 'Em Up is awesome as long as you go in expecting just that, a shoot em up.

Enef on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Transformers was a movie about giant fighting robots and an idiot teenage kids.

Transformers was NOT a movie about Transformers.

I think hollywood should really just stop. I mean...Dragon Wars?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RE: Transformers
    I might have been able to forgive the arduous amount of bullshit in there if the action scenes were actually well-directed, but they just weren't. 90% of the time, between the cameraman having seizures and the Transformers' designs being so overly complicated that you couldn't really tell what was what, what was actually happening on screen became pretty much completely inscrutable. Bay directed the hand-to-hand robot fighting more like a car chase than a fight scene: I guess that makes sense in a theoretical way but in execution it just doesn't work. If a robot punches another robot I want to go "OOH DAMN THAT LOOKED LIKE IT HURT", not "What just happened? That one guy's falling back now so I guess he got punched?"

RE: Shoot 'Em Up
    I don't care about the writing, served it's purpose whatever. What did bug me is that, when it comes down to it, the shoot 'em ups in Shoot 'Em Up were just not very exciting or well-directed. If it were directed by an in-his-prime John Woo that would be one thing, but the fact is that the director was obviously not nearly of that calibur.

The other thing is that, like Ultraviolet and pretty much all Steven Seagal movies, he makes the fatal mistake of making the main character pretty much entirely invincible, and with nobody of equal or better class than him to challenge that, it makes the resulting fights just boring, like watching a street race between a Formula 1 car and a dozen Kia Sedonas, or having a old school Spider-Man comic where instead of the intro 3 pages where he beats up some random low-level thugs and then it gets into the actual plot involving some kind of supervillian, it's just 30 straight pages of him beating up various groups of random low-level thugs.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So someone wants to use a photo I took in an article promoting something I really don't agree with. Should I sell out my values for publicity and fame? Gah!

Virum on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    heh, I got invited to a screening of this. But I was told it was full for my age demographic by the time I RSVPed a day later. Bastards.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Transformers was a movie about giant fighting robots and an idiot teenage kids.

Transformers was NOT a movie about Transformers.

I think hollywood should really just stop. I mean...Dragon Wars?

well dragon wars was a korean movie (wasn't it?). And korean movies are crazy, like the one with the river monsters, man I'm terrible with names. Anyways that was weird.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CapnMango wrote: »
    I was thrown into homeschool on September 12th, 2001. I'm sure you can figure out why.

But yeah, it's been greatly beneficial for me. I haven't been raped since!

Here's a tip (if you ever find where you can get the kids): let them learn the basics in school, then take them out right after they can read. It makes it a hell of a lot easier.

I was homeschooled k-12.

Virum on
This discussion has been closed.