As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT]IVUS FOR THE REST OF US

• LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah that's fantastic, I had a good laugh when I saw it.

So I'm about to just plain stop doing actionscript, I just don't know if my brain can grasp that kind of stuff. Such a love/hate relationship. I've gotten so far though... I MUST TRUDGE ON! *begins epic battle within the mind*

Are you learning actionscript 2 or 3? 3 is a lot stricter (more like Java ... in fact almost exactly like java), needs more skill to use, but runs far more efficiently.

Why are you getting stuck? Also check out the forums at kirupa.com as they have a very helpful AS community.

Lly on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm actually learning a bit of both. I think that's where my confusion is coming in. I truthfully like 3.0 a lot better but there aren't a lot of new tutorials on 3.0

As far as recommending kirupa thanks a bunch! I had done a few tutorials from the site and they helped out a lot. But never really thought about asking on the forums there. I've been mainly using oman3d.com the main mod there is a huge help.

The main stuff I'm having a problem with is just grasping it as I haven't done any sort of programming since highschool (over 6 and a half years ago) and at that time all I did was a intro to C++ class. The lynda.com tutorials are helping a ton though.

Prospicience on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Today in Sociology class, the prof lectured on institutionalized racism. Then, the the TA got up to finish the remaining 20 minutes and I tuned out. I got pulled back into listening when a girl sitting in the front starting ranting about how the Lord of the Rings trilogy is Eurocentric and racist. Dude, WUT?

Tam on
    edited February 2008
    I'm actually learning a bit of both. I think that's where my confusion is coming in. I truthfully like 3.0 a lot better but there aren't a lot of new tutorials on 3.0

As far as recommending kirupa thanks a bunch! I had done a few tutorials from the site and they helped out a lot. But never really thought about asking on the forums there. I've been mainly using oman3d.com the main mod there is a huge help.

The main stuff I'm having a problem with is just grasping it as I haven't done any sort of programming since highschool (over 6 and a half years ago) and at that time all I did was a intro to C++ class. The lynda.com tutorials are helping a ton though.

The syntax and code side of things are dead easy in actionscript, the hard part is in getting your head around Object Oriented programming. I'm only just starting to get comfortable with it. There's a HUGE tutorial on it on kirupa i think ... like 40 pages long or something like that.

Lly on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I got this assignment at work where I have to make this boxing style promotion for an internal event. I am so PUMPED with this! I need to get some references, because I know nothing of boxing.

MagicToaster on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Today in Sociology class, the prof lectured on institutionalized racism. Then, the the TA got up to finish the remaining 20 minutes and I tuned out. I got pulled back into listening when a girl sitting in the front starting ranting about how the Lord of the Rings trilogy is Eurocentric and racist. Dude, WUT?

Well, duh. That's a completely valid way to read it, especially considering when it was written.

multimoog on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those goddamn Germans.

Virum on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Boxing as in putting things in boxes? I thought you're pretty good with that.

Ahahaha, my good friend Vault Dweller gets what he deserves:
    gu_20080205.jpg

Mayday on
    edited February 2008
    multimoog wrote: »

Well, duh. That's a completely valid way to read it, especially considering when it was written.

I read the series when I was young (12) and not entirely exposed to the full spectrum of racism. I don't know, I really liked it, and I haven't read it since, so I guess I never really thought about it that way.

Oh man elves, master race. Fucking shit- it's really hitting now. This blows.D:

Tam on
    edited February 2008

That doesn't mean it's not still a great series of books, it's just that you don't agree with the particular allegories. It's also an incredibly (almost insultingly) simplified version of racism (orcs=blacks? He might as well have had them go 'ooga booga' and wear grass skirts). There's been papers written on the subject, on what Tolkien meant by it; it's kind of dependant on how much you care about it, really. Plus, he was the father of modern fantasy, so he's got that going for (or against?) him.

multimoog on
    edited February 2008
    multimoog wrote: »

That doesn't mean it's not still a great series of books, it's just that you don't agree with the particular allegories. It's also an incredibly (almost insultingly) simplified version of racism (orcs=blacks? He might as well have had them go 'ooga booga' and wear grass skirts). There's been papers written on the subject, on what Tolkien meant by it; it's kind of dependant on how much you care about it, really. Plus, he was the father of modern fantasy, so he's got that going for (or against?) him.

I'll have to wait to see this objectively. For now, what I thought was a diamond in my bag of nostalgia is looking a lot like coal.

Tam on
  • Mr DaveMr Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »

Wow. That sounds ... kinda bonkers! But as Becky Cloonan is involved, I approve.

its really not her best
    because it had to be colored she cleaned up her line work instead of her usual paul pope-sh messy brush and ink fun

Mr Dave on
  • coppergeckocoppergecko Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, it's definitely not as loosy goosy as her other stuff.

coppergecko on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    holy shit, copper gecko, long time no see, man

Projeck on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    How come all the elemental animals are awesome at art?

Iridium ape, copper gecko, calcium fish...

bombardier on
    edited February 2008
    Nerdiest line ever:

-"I'm not forget full, it's just that you're like a computer program"

-"What?"

-"Yeah, I mean, when you load to my RAM there's not a lot of room for very much anything to load"

MagicToaster on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wahahaha did she say that?

Yeah.
    I bet that's what she said.

Mayday on
    edited February 2008
    Actually, I did.

MagicToaster on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pft. It's early February and it feels like spring outside! The sky's blue, the sun is shining, it's not even cold. I'm not sure I miss the cold winters with freezing temperatures or not, but this just feels weird.

Fantasyrogue on
    edited February 2008
    Pft. It's early February and it feels like spring outside! The sky's blue, the sun is shining, it's not even cold. I'm not sure I miss the cold winters with freezing temperatures or not, but this just feels weird.

It's lovely here too (london). Shame i'm stuck in an office for pretty much all the daylight hours :( Hope it lasts into the weekend.

Lly on
    edited February 2008
    Well, the weather report for my country (Netherlands) says the weather'll be like this for Saturday too. But I don't know about London, obviously :P

Fantasyrogue on
    edited February 2008
    It was fucking 75 degrees Tuesday. That's in February, in the Northeast of America (well, Mid-Atlantic). We don't get a lot of cold weather here anyway, but that's crazy. It also makes me sick, literally - when outdoor temperatures shift dramatically over the course of a day, it makes me feel like I've got the flu and knocks me on my ass for days.

multimoog on
    edited February 2008
    In the lovely weather I am listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI76sKLMkMU&feature=user and dreaming of france.

*goes back to daydreaming*

Lly on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GA is pretty much hanging out around 60-70 during the day, 30-40 during the night. I guess we get the good end of the global warming deal.

That is, until the hurricanes come. Hurricanes fashioned from islands collected on the way.

MKR on
    edited February 2008
    I'm glad I don't live anywhere where we get hurricanes. The most I can worry about is floods, and only if the dikes suddenly decide to give out. Atleast, as far as I know (I don't keep up with the latest disaster scenarios).

You know, fixing up an old drawing can be fun. But at this point everytime I change something I see other things that need changing. Ugh.

Fantasyrogue on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Better keep those pumps running.

MKR on
    edited February 2008
    it hasn't gotten much warmer than 22 degrees Fahrenheit here. Damn you all, and it's snowed every day this week. Crazy ass weather, it was actually sunny and snowing on tuesday.

Prospicience on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We haven't really had any hurricanes for nearly 3 years. Not since Katrina really, aside from a few small ones that never made landfall. On the main coast at least, I know a few Caribbean islands got some.

Its been uncommonly mild. Next thing I bet we have a media frenzy over proposed "Super" Hurricanes, at least once the politics in the campaign are over next fall.

Veritas on
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I forget, who did this?

CCTV.jpg

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aw shit, it is Banksy....I Was just on his site, even in the "Indoor" gallery a few more click and I would have come to it... Thanks...

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm in Ontario, and we had a huge blizzard that lasted about 2 days, a couple days ago. It was insane. I was driving home from Oakville and I could barely see infront of me. Everyone on the road was going about 20 in the 80. It was fun though. I made the mistake of challenging mother nature and taking the sideroads. I just got my winter tires put on so I wanted to test them. I made it home, but I don't think I'll go on the sideroads again when it's like that. I didn't even know what side of the road I was on.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ITS TOO NICE OUTSIDE!!!

WHAT THE FUCK WEATHER?!?!

TURN THE WINTER BACK ON!

DeeLock on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuck that. SUMMER.

NeoRedXIII on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Summer can eat my anus!!!

DeeLock on
    edited February 2008
    Make my LOGO BIGGER!

Oh how true that is.

Prospicience on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So apparently, last night, just north of Savannah (and probably within 10 miles of me) a sugar factory exploded. One of my friends actually saw the sky light up orange. It's apparently all over the news.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/02/08/refinery.blast/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

NightDragon on
    edited February 2008
    That's pretty awful. :S

I remember when the fireworks factory exploded in the city some 40 kilometres away from where my parents lived. You could see the sky turn grey even from where we were (and initially thought it was actually bad weather, until we turned on the news).

Fantasyrogue on
    edited February 2008
    I remember when the fireworks factory exploded in the city some 40 kilometres away from where my parents lived. You could see the sky turn grey even from where we were.

You'd think this would be pretty fun.

MagicToaster on
    edited February 2008
    You'd be thinking wrong though, what with the factory being situated right in a residential zone.

Well, depot more than factory. Nevertheless, it blew up.

Fantasyrogue on
This discussion has been closed.