As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMO for a casual crafter?

2»

• Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    trevellian wrote: »
    elizabex wrote: »
    Not really an option that caters to your yens, but this thread reminded me of how awesome I thought Anarchy Online's 'crafting' (skilltrade?) system was. Upgrading armor always involved a network of contacts to provide stat-raising equipment and buffs, to squeak into the highest gear possible.

..of course, that was also my first MMO, so I was probably fairly starry-eyed about the whole process. I remember it as being super gratifying though. :)

I'm the same way about SWG[1] to be honest - it was the closest MMO to have a real broad spectrum of possibilities and I got hooked into the crafting side of things, but I have to temper my memories with the fact that it was my first ever MMO and was in a star wars setting to boot so there is a real danger of rose-tinted glasses.

It was the complexity of the crafting that hooked me.

[1] All SWG references are from EU launch until CU, at which point I had enough of SOE playing silly buggers and I left.

My AO guild moved from AO -> SWG shortly after the latter's launch. I remember the lot of us all scrapping together as many materials as possible so one of our members could 'craft' (ah ha HAH) a guild hall. I never got really into the crafting in SWG, so I didn't understand how it all worked.... but I do remember our entire guild being on pins and needles as that one craft was going on.. praying for no disconnects or crafting failures.

That was a fun moment. Me? I was more concerned with teaching my bantha to do headstands.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tav wrote: »
    City of Heroes was pretty damn sociable and afaik it got a crafting system recently. I don't know how good it is, but lately I've been pretty tempted about getting a free trial for CoH going.

It just occured to me that this might work. As long as you consider making new alt's costumes "crafting".

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Don't you have to train up skills to craft in Eve and thus give up skills that would make you better in combat? What I'm getting at is that in WoW crafting doesn't cost you in terms of combat skills.

It only costs in that you need to spend time leveling industrial skills instead of combat skills. Overall you lose nothing.

Does the phrase "opportunity cost" mean anything to you?

Garthor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Garthor wrote: »
    Don't you have to train up skills to craft in Eve and thus give up skills that would make you better in combat? What I'm getting at is that in WoW crafting doesn't cost you in terms of combat skills.

It only costs in that you need to spend time leveling industrial skills instead of combat skills. Overall you lose nothing.

Not really, no. Many EVE players have more than one account for trade/combat/mining characters.

I do wish they'd let me train one skill per character instead of account though.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

While this was exactly my point, the way that skills start taking exponentially more time to raise might mean that in practice the opportunity cost is rather small at least for long term players. In addition it isn't like SWG was where you had to take a permanent hit to your combat skills to craft, since they both fell under the same cap, whereas there is not cap to your skills in EvE.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    City of Heroes was pretty damn sociable and afaik it got a crafting system recently. I don't know how good it is, but lately I've been pretty tempted about getting a free trial for CoH going.
    It just occured to me that this might work. As long as you consider making new alt's costumes "crafting".
    More like as long as you consider making enhancements (ie, equipment) crafting. Costume pieces are a very small part of craftable items.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    More like as long as you consider making enhancements (ie, equipment) crafting. Costume pieces are a very small part of craftable items.

Actually I was talking about just making alt's costumes in the normal way without any actual crafting at all.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With the CoH crafting system, am I right in thinking that you just fight badguys and occasionally you get a material for crafting or a recipe along with the influence that you get from beating them?

Seg on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    With the CoH crafting system, am I right in thinking that you just fight badguys and occasionally you get a material for crafting or a recipe along with the influence that you get from beating them?

Yeah, but then you just end up making enhancements anyway.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Not really, no. Many EVE players have more than one account for trade/combat/mining characters.

I do wish they'd let me train one skill per character instead of account though.

Honestly in Eve you plateau going for big things so it isn't unusual to stop training some long-ass thing and grab a couple quick side skills some afternoon. The first three levels of something take like, 24 hours and you can get crafting with a couple skills.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RooserRooser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As a long-time CoH addict, I will say that the nature of the new crafting system is perfect for CoH. It does NOT, however, resemble anything that would please the OP. (However, from what I'm hearing about WoW, it sounds like it's better than THAT).

Rooser on
    AKA Morgy on Virtue
  • Options
    The Cheshire CatThe Cheshire Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rooser wrote: »
    As a long-time CoH addict, I will say that the nature of the new crafting system is perfect for CoH. It does NOT, however, resemble anything that would please the OP. (However, from what I'm hearing about WoW, it sounds like it's better than THAT).

It's actually fairly similar to WoW, in that there's no point crafting stuff to sell, because the money you would get from selling it is probably significantly less than the materials that compose it (With a few exceptions in both WoW and CoH). However, both games do tend to be handy for making stuff for your own personal use, which seems like the intention for them. The best stuff in WoW is bind on pickup, and there's no crafting skill in CoH, so there's no reason to go find a high level crafter to make you something; you can just make it yourself.

The Cheshire Cat on