As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Odd RE4 Wii Issue

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I just purchased this fine title, and I notice that green pixels (red and blue too, but those are rarer and harder to notice) are flickering on the screen.

Any idea of what's causing this? It doesn't happen with any other Wii games, or in the Wii menu.

I'm using a component connection to my SD-TV.

Actually, cancel the other Wii games part. I slid in Super Mario Galaxy and I'm noticing two spots where it's happening there too. It's just less prominent.

Mai-Kero on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd go into the store and exchange it for another copy. That's weird... But the worst case scenario is that the video card is overheating. D: I think it's just the game, however.

urahonky on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i think i read somewhere that RE4 was a title that was good at showing early signs of wii-rot. i think i read it here on the boards, actually, though my memory aint that great so don't take what I say as fact. in any case, i'd be a bit wary. my advice is to exchange it and see if the problem still exists.

Guek on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    i think i read somewhere that RE4 was a title that was good at showing early signs of wii-rot. i think i read it here on the boards, actually, though my memory aint that great so don't take what I say as fact. in any case, i'd be a bit wary. my advice is to exchange it and see if the problem still exists.

What is Wii-rot and will Nintendo give me a new Wii with my VC titles still on it?

Mai-Kero on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know that this isn't what this thread is about but Wii Edition is so fucking awesome, for serious

Clint Eastwood on
    edited December 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

What is Wii-rot and will Nintendo give me a new Wii with my VC titles still on it?

wii-rot is when your gpu has overheated, presumably due to wii-connect 24 (though I don't think anybody's 100% sure). It's a fairly uncommon defect that nintendo will fix for you for free, shipping included, as long as the wii is still under warranty. And yes, they'll transfer all of your VC games as well. I'd wait it out a bit and see if it shows up in any other games before jumping the gun. It could just be a bad copy of RE4, but somehow that seems pretty unlikely.

Guek on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yes, but you will have to send it in.
    Wii-rot is where you videocard is overheating.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

for some reason, a number of Wii systems are having their graphics chip or components begin to crap out. you see similar graphics artifacting on an overheating graphics card in a PC.

call Nintendo. they will most likely have you send in your old system, and in around 6 to 8 days, they'll send back a repaired or replaced system. all your save games and Miis and such will be kept intact, and your VC games will remain "purchased", but you will have to redownload them again.

edit: heh, beated. i will add that i've already had to send in my system for the replacement. Nintendo's customer service is awesome, though. you also get a full reset on your 1 year warranty. not too shabby.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wii Care

There's stuff in there about this, I'm sure.

I'm somewhat scared to put in my RE4:Wii, even though I have no indication of any "Wii-rot" at all.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Will nintendo do the same thing they do for the DS where they send you the new one first, and you send your defective product back in the shipping they send you?

Mai-Kero on
    edited December 2007
    i dont know since i haven't gone through the process. I'd imagine not, since they have to transfer saved data and move the licenses for the vc games from one system to another.

Guek on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My Wii's being repaired now but I never noticed it with RE4 so I guess I developed it after I played it. I've read that WiiConnect 24 standby connection isn't really a cause of the problem but it will make the symptoms show up much sooner. Who knows? As long as the replacement is fine.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is somewhat unrelated, but man I wish Apple had the same support for their product like Nintendo. Guess they realize their machines aren't as perfect as they make them out to be.

On a more related note, I dropped my DS precisely on the hinge some people were having break on them, onto a tiled floor from 4 feet up and it survived without even a hint of damage. My stupid ipod dropped from 3 feet from on my desk and came the fuck apart. The screen is screwed now. And my powerbook's display died, just over the 1 year mark of course(I took f-ing impeccable care of it)and the replacement is defective, but not enough to be considered truly defective by Apple. Stupid Apple.

I wish Nintendo made computers.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is somewhat unrelated, but man I wish Apple had the same support for their product like Nintendo. Guess they realize their machines aren't as perfect as they make them out to be.

On a more related note, I dropped my DS precisely on the hinge some people were having break on them, onto a tiled floor from 4 feet up and it survived without even a hint of damage. My stupid ipod dropped from 3 feet from on my desk and came the fuck apart. The screen is screwed now. And my powerbook's display died, just over the 1 year mark of course(I took f-ing impeccable care of it)and the replacement is defective, but not enough to be considered truly defective by Apple. Stupid Apple.

This post and your sig, :^:

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    toxk_02 wrote: »

This post and your sig, :^:

Hahahahahaha

UnbreakableVow on
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I noticed afterward and contemplated editing, but my DS is perfectly fine, so I'd don't feel inccorect saying it's in mint condition, and it proves it doesn't suffer from the hinge-disease. :P

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I noticed afterward and contemplated editing, but my DS is perfectly fine, so I'd don't feel inccorect saying it's in mint condition, and it proves it doesn't suffer from the hinge-disease. :P
    No worries, if there's one thing Nintendo does right it's build a solid handheld.

I'm curious, does everyone leave WiiConnect24 on or do most of you keep it off? I've noticed mine gets a touch warm even in standby and I contemplate fully powering my Wii off.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I generally power mine off.

Xagarath on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Will nintendo do the same thing they do for the DS where they send you the new one first, and you send your defective product back in the shipping they send you?

Yes, but you lose all your VC games, Miis, saved games, and all other personal settings (the only things you can back up on an SD card and actually use in a new console would be saved games).

Edit: This happened to me back in April, about a month and a half after it was first reported. Back then, Nintendo made me pay for my own shipping, my own box, and my own packing materials. About $30. It sucked.

HadjiQuest on
  • pvx22pvx22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey guys, three questions.

I think I have "Wii rot" there are these ugly black lines that run vertically down the screen and most to all games. From simple things like Super Mario Bros, to new games like Galaxy.

How long is the warranty for the Wii? I got mine launch day.

How much does it cost to repair if the warranty is over?

pvx22 on
    Agent+Yanez.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    pvx22 wrote: »

I think I have "Wii rot" there are these ugly black lines that run vertically down the screen and most to all games. From simple things like Super Mario Bros, to new games like Galaxy.

If you're in North America, did you register your Wii on the Nintendo website?

If you registered it, the warranty is 15 months from the day you bought it, which means it's still covered. If you didn't, it's 12 months, which means it's not. You may still be able to get the warranty extension if you register it now, I dunno. If not, Nintendo might still be willing to fix it for free. Call them.

mntorankusu on
  • pvx22pvx22 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If you registered it, the warranty is 15 months from the day you bought it, which means it's still covered. If you didn't, it's 12 months, which means it's not. You may still be able to get the warranty extension if you register it now, I dunno. If not, Nintendo might still be willing to fix it for free. Call them.

Yeah it's registered, I guess I'll have to go through the process then huh?

pvx22 on
    Agent+Yanez.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

Only if you haven't purchased any VC games. When I went through this (for a different problem, not Wii-rot), they offered this option.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited December 2007

Yeah it's registered, I guess I'll have to go through the process then huh?

No real process involved. Just call them up, explain the situation, and you'll be all set to go in under 10 to 20 minutes. That's how long it took me. ;)

urahonky on
  • finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So has anyone with VC games sent in their Wii. Mine started freezing randomly, and then just powering on to a black screen. I went ahead and sent it in, but what will they do to compensate me if they erase all my VC games?

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
    edited December 2007
    So has anyone with VC games sent in their Wii. Mine started freezing randomly, and then just powering on to a black screen. I went ahead and sent it in, but what will they do to compensate me if they erase all my VC games?

They wont get rid of your VC games. If they notice any in there, they should be able to copy them over to your new one. When I called Tech Support for my issue they asked me if I had any VC games, and if I did they would just fix mine instead of shipping me a new one.

When did you send it in? If it was a few days ago I'd try calling them and see if they know you have VC games.

urahonky on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you get a brand new console your past purchases will be saved, you just need to download them all again. It's easy. Just go to Wii Shop and go to the game and it'll say download instead of purchase.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!