As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Armored Core 4/For Answer - OUT NOW

• Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So basically what everyone is saying is that if you're an Armored Core nut you NEED this game?

God damn it, I have NO money.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well I managed to get a copy over the weekend but haven't thrown it in yet. Hopefully I can find some time between the football games today to check it out.

corin7 on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Damn I guess I will have to pick this up, hopefully it will be much better than 4 was.

But looking at some vs match combat videos.. my GOD they're fast. I feel like an oldtimer now. NEXTs and Lynx are scary beasts to this old Raven. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, this game is scratching my mech itch really good.

The puzzle aspects of defeating the mega forts is so great when you are trying to figure out what needs to be targeted while simultaneously dodging one million missiles.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game is sooooo good

I haven't really played an Armored Core since Nexus and this is just fantastic

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So uhm, is the VS combat really like these videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlhR0FuaJ0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blM2vueridc

Cause thats insane, that isn't the armored core I used to play, I almost don't want to get it now.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Cause thats insane, that isn't the armored core I used to play, I almost don't want to get it now.

No, those videos are sped up. And the first one is on the empty testing level, which is a really lame choice of map.

It is fast-paced, though.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, those videos are sped up. Though I also noticed that AC was set up with enough energy for infinite quickboosting, which would alter the gameplay quite a bit.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    So is this game the same as the last AC's?

You know they always add enough to make it a worthwhile buy.

Oh I know, I just mean that try as I might I've never been able to get into the game. I liked Chromehounds though.

I dunno, I'd give it a rent first

Either Love or Ambivilence

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Finished up the Order arena, popped heck of Collareds. Unlocked some LAHIRE parts and bam; I am now playing this game with the speed turned up to 11. Goodby medium speed middleweight, hello superfast ninja dodging lightweight. You have to give up some damage soak but damn this is the most gaming fun I have had in a while. From Software did a reallly good job with For Answer guys, the speed progression in this game is just right.

totally on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Yeah, those videos are sped up. Though I also noticed that AC was set up with enough energy for infinite quickboosting, which would alter the gameplay quite a bit.

It looks like without it, you would be screwed in matches online.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I think that was using some kind of cheat device because his energy didn't fluctuate at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...Were those vids using music from ZoE, or is it just really similar?

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...Were those vids using music from ZoE, or is it just really similar?

Spot on, I thought they sounded too similiar.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forgive me for not knowing much about armored core games; but is For Answer sort of an expansion for AC4 or is it ac4?

I.E. is the demo on Live representative of this game?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forgive me for not knowing much about armored core games; but is For Answer sort of an expansion for AC4 or is it ac4?

Expansion, every Armored Core sequals is always followed by several cash-ins. If you were count the total number Armored Core game we'd probably would have reached 15 some odd games or more.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I think that was using some kind of cheat device because his energy didn't fluctuate at all.

Its hard to tell but I think its more along the lines of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3ZvY5Paro

I have to wait until next friday to afford this game. I know I shouldn't with my ginormous backlog but this looks too awesome. Also, I think that video is poor quality since it didn't show his energy bar very clearly. He did drop energy but I figure with good parts it won't take too much energy.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I don't think those were sped up. But I do think he had some sort of infinite energy cheat. And he did alot of excessive boosting that was just for show.

edit: Never mind. after a second glance, it was definitely sped up.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    zestydeezestydee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That music was from Ar Tonelico btw

Anyways, I really didn't need to know about this game. There are way too many games coming out that I plan on getting in October / November, and I could've ignored this one in blissful ignorance, after all there's almost no coverage of this game. But now I know, now I'm gonna be out another $60, apox on all of you.

zestydee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    His videos.

Makes me wish there was a spastic, current-gen, stylish to a fault anime mecha game that was THAT fast and looked THAT ridiculous.

There's a certain dogfight in Macross Plus I'd love to re-enact...

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I used to not suck at Armored Core, but this game is way faster than I remember.

Also, we had to boost uphill to our battles, in the snow. With too heavy equipment. Then we had to boost uphill back, with empty weapons still attached to our backs.

That said, I just finished watching Gurren Lagann, and this game came out at JUST the right time.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well with an ultrelightweight build and the regulations switched to 1.15 (infinite EN) the fastness is more than I can handle for sure.
    Have had a few Macross moments of shooting down hell of attacking missiles while traveling at close to 1000 kmph. The scale of some of the Arms Forts really makes you feel epic as shit.
    And of course the first thing I did was make U.N. Spacy decals and paint up some Skull squadron Nexts.

totally on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ya know what I would punch a baby for. I want the team that put together the opening video to make a full length movie. Hell, I'd go for a half hour special even.

But despite it looking awsome, I still think the AC4 opening was better. More action.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Its hard to tell but I think its more along the lines of this.

I have to wait until next friday to afford this game. I know I shouldn't with my ginormous backlog but this looks too awesome. Also, I think that video is poor quality since it didn't show his energy bar very clearly. He did drop energy but I figure with good parts it won't take too much energy.
    No it clearly doesn't move at all. Especially since he is using a fairly heavy mech with tons of guns.

Also I just picked this up and will be shooting the mans soon.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My 360 hasn't been able to connect to the internet since before I bought this and I haven't been able to download any of these regulations. What are they, and must I send my 360 in for repairs so I can download these things or is there another way to make the annoying fucking message every time I start up a game go away?

Also, just finished the
    Spirit of Motherwill fight last night and it was just as awesome as I expected. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks like the next Zone of the Enders. Do want to try for sure, but no $!

Zolden on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    My 360 hasn't been able to connect to the internet since before I bought this and I haven't been able to download any of these regulations. What are they, and must I send my 360 in for repairs so I can download these things or is there another way to make the annoying fucking message every time I start up a game go away?

Also, just finished the
    Spirit of Motherwill fight last night and it was just as awesome as I expected. :D

No, the message will stay till you connect you box. However, the game shipped with regs 1.0-1.20. You can cheat hard missions by enabling 1.15 (unlimited EN, also see above videos) or 1.15 (ridiculously good missile homing, good for Arena vs fights). The default 1.20 makes the game way more balanced for online play so ultralights no longer dominate. You acess the regulations through ACSIS-Options-Regulations.

Also;
    I like how they kept the engrish for the Spilit of Motherwill acheivement. You tried Motherwill on hard yet? Missile Hell, I last maybe long enough to take out one cannon

totally on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    totally wrote: »

Also, just finished the

No, the message will stay till you connect you box. However, the game shipped with regs 1.0-1.20. You can cheat hard missions by enabling 1.15 (unlimited EN, also see above videos) or 1.15 (ridiculously good missile homing, good for Arena vs fights). The default 1.20 makes the game way more balanced for online play so ultralights no longer dominate. You acess the regulations through ACSIS-Options-Regulations.

Also;
    I like how they kept the engrish for the Spilit of Motherwill acheivement. You tried Motherwill on hard yet? Missile Hell, I last maybe long enough to take out one cannon
    Ahahahaha, it actually said that for the achievement? I thought I misread it or something. And I haven't tried doing it on hard yet, most of the missions have been just the right difficulty so far though fighting against other NEXTs is tough as hell. Any tips for those?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have had sucess in the arena and in the eliminate NEXTs missions by just building the fastest middlewight/lightweight I can and then using POPLAR for my back left, radar for back right, NEMAHA relation missile on shoulders, and machine gun arms. Switching out to regular arms with rifles if I need more range. I just get my lock, salvo missiles, go shooty with my arms while OBing away. Like high speed jousting, The big desert for the Arena is great as it is easier to track the enemy. I have been switching back and forth between 1.1 and 1.15 depending on how fast the enemy Next is. I have had a few opponents where I have just had to play super defensive/dodge a lot and wait till they ran out of ammo before moving in. It is pretty impossible to try and just go toe to toe with some of those dudes.
    It is so worth your while to rock through the Collared matches b/c you get mad loots and parts unlocks. Really helps out in some of the later missions and hard mode.

totally on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I keep running out of ammo in the early missions. I eventually pass them but wow this is quite a bit different than ac4 which was my first foray into the series. At least the mech assembly is a little more intuitive than ac4. I still wish they had a garage similiar to Chromehounds. It was pretty close to perfect imo.

corin7 on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My twin gatling guns go fffvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Haha. I did the exact same thing. My enemies have learned.

Do not. Get. Close.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got dual machineguns and dual back AS missile launchers with high tracking/mobiliy.

I tend to just rain missiles down on my opponents while staying aerial/evasive, if they survive the barrage and I run out of missiles, I finish them off with my machine guns.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got dual machineguns and dual back AS missile launchers with high tracking/mobiliy.

I tend to just rain missiles down on my opponents while staying aerial/evasive, if they survive the barrage and I run out of missiles, I finish them off with my machine guns.

I've been doing this right here, though I use scatter missiles and the relation missile things to maximize the number of projectiles raining onto the enemy. For one arena mission I switched one machine gun for some bazooka that fired a spread (like a shotgun) that I picked up somewhere. Good stuff, I love trying different builds.

edit: One thing that has been bugging me is that sometimes for no apparent reason I won't be able to lock onto anything and will have instead these lines in front of me showing which way my shots will go. What is the cause of this? Is it my FCS (or whatever the little chip-looking thing is)? It's just frustrating because it's hard to blow shit up without being able to lock onto it (possible, but hard).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I've been doing this right here, though I use scatter missiles and the relation missile things to maximize the number of projectiles raining onto the enemy. For one arena mission I switched one machine gun for some bazooka that fired a spread (like a shotgun) that I picked up somewhere. Good stuff, I love trying different builds.

edit: One thing that has been bugging me is that sometimes for no apparent reason I won't be able to lock onto anything and will have instead these lines in front of me showing which way my shots will go. What is the cause of this? Is it my FCS (or whatever the little chip-looking thing is)? It's just frustrating because it's hard to blow shit up without being able to lock onto it (possible, but hard).
    From holding down the left stick, that switches you from lock on to free aim.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Haha. I did the exact same thing. My enemies have learned.

Do not. Get. Close.
    Pssh some decent quick boosting skills and you can just dance through the gatling gun rounds all the way into blade range.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That just shows you how hard I must grip my controllers. That always happens in games where clicking the left stick does something. I may have to turn that off if I can, thanks for letting me know. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yes, blade nexts are my favorite. Oh you're getting close? Oh you're going to boost at me and try to swipe me with your little blade? Turns out I can boost too! Who knew? Fvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr match over.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

That just shows you how hard I must grip my controllers. That always happens in games where clicking the left stick does something. I may have to turn that off if I can, thanks for letting me know. :P
    As long as you know its there its pretty easy to avoid. I was hitting it alot when ac4 came out.

It's helpful though especially on like missions where bad guys are ontop of buildings in the sea missions. If they cant boost then you can just knock out the building and take out the whole group as they fall into the sea.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008

As long as you know its there its pretty easy to avoid. I was hitting it alot when ac4 came out.

It's helpful though especially on like missions where bad guys are ontop of buildings in the sea missions. If they cant boost then you can just knock out the building and take out the whole group as they fall into the sea.

You're probably right. I'll try playing with it on and see how it goes since I know what's causing it now. If I can't control my grip than I may switch it to something else. Just curious but what does pressing the right stick do?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png