As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[UPDATEx3] Microsoft Vs. immigration: Nobody can help.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can't wait to read this article, the fallout from it ought to be interesting

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I've been given the go-ahead to divulge the specifics.

Someone at Microsoft contacted the Editor in Chief of one of the gaming websites I write for and, long story short, asked them to drop me from the Editorial team - to "remove any potential sources of contention" between the site and Microsoft. Naturally, the Editor in Chief told them to go fuck themselves.

Microsoft haven't just denied me my request, they're now flat out attacking me. The gloves are off now. I'll be writing a full article today and it should hopefully go up tonight.

"someone"?

I'm assuming they emailed, so I'm assuming you or the website would post the email in full? If not, why not?

I'm sorry, this whole thing just smells on this side of fishy to me. I used to consult call centers and even the very, very, very worst of them never handled a problem like this. To supposedly not only have TWO reps say potentially bigotted phrases to you but to have someone at the company supposedly actively look to get you fired from a position that at the end of the day not only doesn't solve their problem, but actively aggravates it? What benefit would they even get if they got you removed from your current position? Is the site you write for that large? Why would they care?

I just wouldn't mind a bit more proof before making any sort of conclusions. Yeah, they might not be able to do anything at this time, and that can be frustrating as shit, because policy has zip about this super rare situation such as yours. And they should at least be giving you a new account and handing over the MS points for the things you purchased. But telling you to move back to england? trying to get you fired? hmmmm.....

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gee it sure is a good job for Microsoft that there is no way for people to comunicate with each other.

Oh wait.

This is utterfly fucking incredible, how on earth do Microsoft dare do something like that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jesus man. That fucking SUCKS. I really hope you get everything sorted out. That's just bad business sense.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow. Ive been lurking this thread for a while but this is unbelieveable. If you got access to ABC news, drop the bomb! They made it personal by trying to get you dropped from your position.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God, that's just fucking unbelievable.

Maybe you should consider a lawyer at this point?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »

I'll take the case.

LewieP on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

I'll take the case.

sedelmaier-harvey.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I've been given the go-ahead to divulge the specifics.

Someone at Microsoft contacted the Editor in Chief of one of the gaming websites I write for and, long story short, asked them to drop me from the Editorial team - to "remove any potential sources of contention" between the site and Microsoft. Naturally, the Editor in Chief told them to go fuck themselves.

Microsoft haven't just denied me my request, they're now flat out attacking me. The gloves are off now. I'll be writing a full article today and it should hopefully go up tonight.

I don't understand this at all. Why would they try to get you fired?

Who was it that contacted your editor in chief?

Bamelin on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    BigSpaceMonkeyBigSpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope the dude actually has solid proof that it was some dude from Microsoft that made the call to his employer. Otherwise this looks highly suspicious that someone is pulling an ill-conceived practical joke.

BigSpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Who was it that contacted your editor in chief?

I did ask, but for the time being I'm not allowed to give out any names. Sorry guys, I know that's not ideal, but the Editor in Chief has mentioned that he intends to write a follow-up article to mine explaining the business end of the issue in more detail. He's also told me he fully intends to name names.

From the way the conversation was explained to me, it sounds like it was a phone call.

This news has started floating around my workplace, and my boss's boss's boss has put my blog post on the issue up on Digg, which is nice of him. I'd hold out for the full article, but if you want to Digg it then by all means do so.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I can digg it.

Eyes glued to this thread for a while now....

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some crazy shit, thats for sure.

Good luck Squirm, Micsrosoft are being total dicks about this one.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    double double post post

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you think it will help your cause at all, I will be more than happy to veto posting Microsoft bargains on my blog until this issue is properly resolved.

I am more than happy to do this.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you're up for it, yeah. Every little helps, after all. If you do - and it's entirely up to you - I'd let your readers know why you're doing it.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sure, I'll get a post together now.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ill help by giving my Xbox360 the finger before I turn it on.

Oh wait... I already do that. :P

Seriously though man... you seem to have way more connections than the average schmuck... and this has proably happened to others as well... use those connections! A gaming publication popular enough to get direct attention from MS? Possible access to ABC news? GO TO WAR!

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you think it will help your cause at all, I will be more than happy to veto posting Microsoft bargains on my blog until this issue is properly resolved.

I am more than happy to do this.

Y'know, I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing...

My wallet will thank you, I'm sure.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Done

Feel free to let Microsoft know that I am vetoing them in support of you. I'm not that big of a deal to them, but I have sold around 15 Xbox 360's for them, and a stackload of games. If they are smart, they won't want to loose out on that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This has probably already been suggested, but get straight onto the Consumerist and Kotaku, as well as everyone else possible about this once you have your article up - I'm sure they'd snap it up and as well as getting your issue out there (which I am sure is not isolated), you'd drive a mass of traffic to GP.

Would codes for MS points equal to the points you've spent on the service, and Xbox LIVE time/refund for your new account compensate you? Because I know they are willing to give out point codes - I've got them in the past. The only problem with that is that it would have to be a second Gamertag, so you'd lose all your save/Achievement data.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    This has probably already been suggested, but get straight onto the Consumerist and Kotaku, as well as everyone else possible about this once you have your article up - I'm sure they'd snap it up and as well as getting your issue out there (which I am sure is not isolated), you'd drive a mass of traffic to GP.

Would codes for MS points equal to the points you've spent on the service, and Xbox LIVE time/refund for your new account compensate you? Because I know they are willing to give out point codes - I've got them in the past. The only problem with that is that it would have to be a second Gamertag, so you'd lose all your save/Achievement data.

I dont know about Squirminator but if ANY company told me to "go back to England" and then tried to get me fired from my job, no amount of microsoft points or free months of Live gold would be good enough.

EDIT: Im really not trying to instigate here, but this is serious bullshit. Especially them trying to get him fired. Its almost Sonyesque. (Hoo if Sony did this, the internet would be on FIRE... Sony has alot of enemies on the tubes it seems.)

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh absolutely. I'm talking about originally - if this is what they had offered in the first place, would it have been satisfactory.

Right now I'm looking for nothing less than a formal apology from the CEO and a change in their system to allow this sort of migration, as well as a full refund from the service that was paid for but not able to be accessed plus compensation for the time, stress and effort spent.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I have submitted it to Kotaku, Slashdot, and Joystiq
    and savygamer

Edit: And I would settle for nothing less than free Xbox 360's for all at this point, were it me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    EDIT: Im really not trying to instigate here, but this is serious bullshit. Especially them trying to get him fired. Its almost Sonyesque. (Hoo if Sony did this, the internet would be on FIRE... Sony has alot of enemies on the tubes it seems.)

I couldn't agree more, if this were Sony, Holy crap we'd be on page 57 by now.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yo Lewie, Ill submit too, everyone else should as well... the more people that submit it the better.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Everyone should also digg the article here. This needs to get attention.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yo Lewie, Ill submit too, everyone else should as well... the more people that submit it the better.

Agreed.

Agreed, and done.

Edit:
    Kotaku - tips@kotaku.com
    Joystiq
    Slashdot

LewieP on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alrighty, I just want to say one thing. And as you all know, I'm biased (read my blog or my other posts). So feel free to ignore me, I guess, but I feel like I should bring up one point before we get too crazy ...

I'd love to know who this actual person is at MS is, and what position they hold. (I can very quickly look it up, if I get a name) For example, there are plenty of contractors (non-full-timers) who work here, that have done really dumb things (often overstepping their bounds, getting power hungry, etc.) and gotten quickly fired. They don't technically represent Microsoft at all. Additionally, I would urge caution in saying that the company is behind this. I would hope that it's the completely misguided actions of one individual, and someone who will very quickly find out that he/she does not have Microsoft's actual backing.

It's akin to a McDonald's employee spitting in your drink. Does that mean McDonald's condones spitting in your drink? Of course not. It's the rogue actions of one person, who may soon find themselves out of a job very quickly. (Granted, McDonald's is not completely blame-free, after all they hired that guy)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Now, if it turns out that it's some high level marketing manager behind this, then yeah ... all bets are off, and you'd also have my support. But playing the blame game at this point seems a bit early until we get more details.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But also be aware that we're very wary of this kind of thing, given the events in the last couple of months. Exactly how much influence the industry has over the press is very much in question right now.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I respect what you are saying, but Microsoft is responsible for whoever they choose to represent them to customers.

If it turns out to be some part time contractor, then the correct response is for their ass to be fired, and a personal apology from higher-ups to Ben, and I would expect something else to make up for it (a bunch of points/games/Live free for life of something).

If it was someone at a higher level, then I personally would want heads to roll on an issue like this.

Either way, a big response is justified.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Who needs actual evidence when you can have unbridled internet rage?

Seriously, lurking this thread, it seems Squirm has been very patient with the whole matter up to the attempted firing. We have also seen the weight that developers and companies are trying to press on publications lately.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I respect what you are saying, but Microsoft is responsible for whoever they choose to represent them to customers.

If it turns out to be some part time contractor, then the correct response is for their ass to be fired, and a personal apology from higher-ups to Ben, and I would expect something else to make up for it (a bunch of points/games/Live free for life of something).

If it was someone at a higher level, then I personally would want heads to roll on an issue like this.

Either way, a big response is justified.

I completely agree. I've already replied to Ben in the past and said I'd try to help him out as much as I can regarding the original situation. I'm just pissed that there's some asshat somewhere that would go to this extent. Makes me mad. MAD.

JCRooks on

• Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Agreed.

Agreed, and done.

Edit:
    Kotaku - tips@kotaku.com
    Joystiq
    Slashdot

As a writer for Joystiq, I just saw this pop into our tip box. Thanks...this is a bit absurd, and it sucks you are going through this. If I can't write the story tongiht I'll make sure to ping the guys over here.

etoychest on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    <3

and

<3

LewieP on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I also directed the guys from 360Fanboy to this thread as well.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Alrighty, I just want to say one thing. And as you all know, I'm biased (read my blog or my other posts). So feel free to ignore me, I guess, but I feel like I should bring up one point before we get too crazy ...

I'd love to know who this actual person is at MS is, and what position they hold. (I can very quickly look it up, if I get a name) For example, there are plenty of contractors (non-full-timers) who work here, that have done really dumb things (often overstepping their bounds, getting power hungry, etc.) and gotten quickly fired. They don't technically represent Microsoft at all. Additionally, I would urge caution in saying that the company is behind this. I would hope that it's the completely misguided actions of one individual, and someone who will very quickly find out that he/she does not have Microsoft's actual backing.

It's akin to a McDonald's employee spitting in your drink. Does that mean McDonald's condones spitting in your drink? Of course not. It's the rogue actions of one person, who may soon find themselves out of a job very quickly. (Granted, McDonald's is not completely blame-free, after all they hired that guy)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. Now, if it turns out that it's some high level marketing manager behind this, then yeah ... all bets are off, and you'd also have my support. But playing the blame game at this point seems a bit early until we get more details.

While what you're saying is quite reasonable, and I agree to a large extent, I have to point out that if I had evidence and/or direct proof showing that a McDonald's employee had spit in my drink, well I'd take them to court. And probably win.

Companies are 100% responsible for the employees they choose to have represent them. Even if this is some part-time contractor, he's still under contract to Microsoft, and representing their policies. MS would have to take responsibility for that.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay... situation has been Kotaku'd, Joystiq'd, and Slashdotted. Hope something comes from all this.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »

While what you're saying is quite reasonable, and I agree to a large extent, I have to point out that if I had evidence and/or direct proof showing that a McDonald's employee had spit in my drink, well I'd take them to court. And probably win.

Companies are 100% responsible for the employees they choose to have represent them. Even if this is some part-time contractor, he's still under contract to Microsoft, and representing their policies. MS would have to take responsibility for that.

Yup. I know and agree. I still just wanted to point that out, lest people come to the faulty conclusion that everyone at Microsoft thinks this way, or that the company even condones it. Still not faultless at all, of course. We always need to do a better job of hiring, and cutting out "bad apples".

Okay, this is probably the last you'll see of me for a while. I'm angry, and I've got a soccer game to play in.

Squirm, if you need my help, just PM me and I'll get to it probably late tonight. And my original offer that I mentioned to you is still there, btw. It's the least that I can do.

JCRooks on