As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World in Conlict

servbotservbot Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
screenshotphpimageWiC_986116.jpg

World in Conflict presents a chillingly authentic Cold War scenario where the Berlin Wall never fell. Created by Cold War authority and best-selling author Larry Bond, the story begins in 1989 as the Soviets, fearing certain collapse, boldly advance into Europe. NATO responds in force only to be met on a second front -- a full-fledged invasion of the American homeland.

Players take on the role of field commander, leading the era's most powerful military machines in the campaign to retake America's cities and suburbs. The RTS gameplay features completely destructible 3D battlefields, aggressive team-based multiplayer action and a focus on fast, hard-hitting battles.

world-in-conflict-20070710045306382.jpg

world-in-conflict-20070803003540287.jpg

world-in-conflict-20070808011818757.jpg

and the best thing is...

Its narrated by this guy:

fatalec.jpg

servbot on

• Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    for some odd reason, the WiC threads all died an untimely death, despite the game being concentrated awesome.

Kartan on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's a pretty recent game, so is it really a late to the party? Also, I can't see anything about the guy narrating.

On the game itself, I've actually been pretty interested in it, though my pc can't run it. I think I'll pick it up when I upgrade.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got the collectors edition and got a piece of the Berlin Wall. It wasnt AS cool as I thought it would be, but still pretty neat.

Multiplayer anyone? I havnt played it multi yet.

frylocked on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kartan wrote: »
    for some odd reason, the WiC threads all died an untimely death, despite the game being concentrated awesome.

Indeed. I tried my hardest to get people to even look at the game... But if it's on PC and not an MMO, the game is destined to fail (unless it's made by Valve/Blizzard).

urahonky on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just ordered this from Gogamer when they had it for $20 (think the deal is over now) and look forward to getting it. Played around with the demo a bit, anyone who's played both, is the multi like that?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drakeon wrote: »
    I just ordered this from Gogamer when they had it for $20 (think the deal is over now) and look forward to getting it. Played around with the demo a bit, anyone who's played both, is the multi like that?

Multi isn't like the single player. :) It's actually really fun. Ah, it's really hard to explain, I might have to dig up the explanation from the thread I made a while back.

Edit: Here's the old thread I made: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=36636 it should have all the info you need on the game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man, I really need to finish the SP campaign on this game. Was pretty close to the end, I think, before I stopped (was distracted by the onslaught of awesome that began in the Fall). As for the multiplayer, I never tried it outside of the beta, since I wanted to get used to the mechanics in single player first. But if enough people start playing again, I may have the urge to jump in.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been playing the game since beta and I think it is outrageously underrated. I think it will be a huge hit on the XBox 360 because it is the first twitch RTS game. No console gamer will want to go back to C&C3 after playing World in Conflict.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    MP is like Battlefield 2, only that the squads actually do what you tell them. Its an incredibly round experience, with - at times - very intense moments, where 3 or 4 armor players fight it out over a control point, with artillery hitting everywhere, helis inbound, smokebarriers and all that. It looks like a big budget action movie only that you can directly control what happens. Unfortunatly, most games end after about 8 minutes with one team crushing the other - but if you get a game with two even teams, it beats any and all RTS (or RTT) games out there...its not even close.

Kartan on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MP is like Battlefield 2, only that the squads actually do what you tell them.

Haha hoho heehee.

PS - :whistle:EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WOOOOOOORLD!:whistle:

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Game Crazy is selling this for $20 if you can track down a copy.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

I might have to check that out. Still not having a core2duo chip is really starting to bother me and the framerates. This pentium D-920 just doesn't cut it for sup com and this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think WiC is a great game, but I kind of felt a bit cheaped out by the $50 price tag. Sorry, but I do. It was then like 2 months later available for like $35 elsewhere, and man, that does sting. The gameplay is great, but it doesn't have a lot of depth to the single player campaign and the multiplayer is good but only to a point.

ATM I think it is great for Casual gamers who just want something low commitment and high fun. A lot of players feel it could benefit from more units/specialized units, more multiplayer game types, and more maps. Also the first player campaign doesn't really have a final end to the war. Sounds like an Expansion Pack could be in the works.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »

I might have to check that out. Still not having a core2duo chip is really starting to bother me and the framerates. This pentium D-920 just doesn't cut it for sup com and this.
    Multiplayer seems to run okay on my old Geforce6800 / P4 3.0GHz. I average around 30fps on medium settings. But I haven't tried single player yet.

You should try turning the physics down, and turning debris physics off.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got the collector's edition last week for a reduced price. Getting a small chunk of the Berlin Wall was a nice addition.

I was first interested in the game because of the premise. When I realized the company also had made Ground Control, I knew I had to get it. I never actually got very far in Ground Control, but it was so different from other RTS games I had played and I had a lot of fun with it.

Right now I've only made it to the mission that comes after the demo level, but it's a lot of fun. I'm wary of trying the multiplayer because I always suck at RTS games in multiplayer.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    Right now I've only made it to the mission that comes after the demo level, but it's a lot of fun. I'm wary of trying the multiplayer because I always suck at RTS games in multiplayer.
    The great thing about this game is that you have 7 other players to cover for you. I don't know if the PA WiC clan is still around but I'm always willing to help beginners learn the ropes. Maybe we can start collecting WiC player tags in the OP. Mine is FreddyD.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think what WiC needs is a limited resource scenario for Multiplayer.

Okay, everyone gets 5,000 points, the defending team has a small band of trucks that slowly makes it's way from point A to point B and must protect them at all costs while the other team has to destroy the trucks. This could make for some good Hold the position gameplay but also make for very strategic moves and as the trucks move, so does the battle.

That's one of the big things that really gets me ticked off, it's that you basically get enough tanks to just throw recklessly into the fray... If they made the tanks like accurately heavy, so that they cannot be simply pushed aside, it would infinitively more strategic.

Say you catch a small band of tanks moving into the town across a bridge. Blow up the one in the very back, and the others have no where else to go but forwards, effectively keeping them from retreating. Instead any old tank can be pushed aside by another with ease.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    all it would take is some good judgement with a cluster bomb or daisy cutter and those trucks would be toast.

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    all it would take is some good judgement with a cluster bomb or daisy cutter and those trucks would be toast.

That's what I meant with Limited resources.

Limited tactical aid and shit. I mean, yeah, everyone can pool their tact. aid to nuke the place, but where's the fun in that. I think just limited artillery fire would be best.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only played this on single player...I'm afraid of playing an RTS online after my experience with Star Craft

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You'd want to get rid of powerful strikes in a protection mode like that.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Flavabean wrote: »
    I only played this on single player...I'm afraid of playing an RTS online after my experience with Star Craft

its not like star craft...at all. No teching, no "under 350 key actions per minute don't even bother", you have 4 tanks, maybe 5, your opponent has 4 tanks, maybe 5, and then you go to town (well its usually not so much a town as a pile of rubble that may or may not be radioactive). It really comes down to knowing how to use your units. Like luring the enemy heavy choopers to your waiting AA. That is always fun.

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I had the sense on that's what it's like. Maybe I'll reinstall it later after I get done with Nexus.

What I really want is some kind of space battleship RTS where you only have one big battleship and so does your opposition and you gotta complete control over your unit.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    isn't that Battlecruiser 3000 A. D.?

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just got this for christmas. Played as infantry and support so far. Someone picked up my infantry, dropped them by some enemy arty. I preceded to own the artillery hardcore, then run off to hide in the forest. If you can find some good people to play the game with it seems way more fun to play.
    Oh theres a friends system in the game too! <3
    Lets get a list going: smashism

Smashism on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I... I love this game, but I'm still soar over it because I missed the tournament at pax. That was a bad night/day.

Its stupid, but I just cant seem to go back to it.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Buchwald wrote: »
    isn't that Battlecruiser 3000 A. D.?

yea...but that's ugly.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love this game when I'm hankering for some PC goodness. All the console goodness this christmas has me tied up for awhile. But the last thread... I think this game just came out at a very bad time. The last thread simply died from apathy. This game is SO MUCH better than that.

I'm always up for a team game when I'm on.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wic_reddawn.jpg

I went out and bought a copy of the game for myself and a friend (as a belated holiday gift), and I decided to buy a copy of Red Dawn to go with the festivities while I was at the store, since it seemed like a federal crime to not get both. Sat down and watch some of the movie. It was as awesomely bad as I remembered.

The game itself is grade-A awesome and I'm kicking myself for not getting into it earlier.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love this game, but I cant play it on multilayer. I don't have the time to join a clan or whatever, and I can't stand the pub games where people just build Heavy Arty/ Heavy Choppers / Heavy Tanks and don't know how to use em.

Personally I am an air man, there have been games where I have lost >5 Heavy Choppers while still decimating everything. I don't recall the last time an Air to Air strike has hit my choppers.. so easy to avoid mmm. Hit and run with Hinds loaded with missiles *orgasm*.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The game is selling for 20 dollars now on Amazon for their deal of the day. Linky

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I love this game, but I cant play it on multilayer. I don't have the time to join a clan or whatever, and I can't stand the pub games where people just build Heavy Arty/ Heavy Choppers / Heavy Tanks and don't know how to use em.

Personally I am an air man, there have been games where I have lost >5 Heavy Choppers while still decimating everything. I don't recall the last time an Air to Air strike has hit my choppers.. so easy to avoid mmm. Hit and run with Hinds loaded with missiles *orgasm*.

they get me every now and then when I'm commanding my hunter-killer pack of 6 medium choppers. It takes 3 AA missiles to kill a chopper, so when I come across 3 Heavys I take down two and gun down the third...which does on occasion lead to a fighter jockey having a field day.

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I would only use 2 AA missles to kill a chopper, then gun down the rest of his health. 2 AA missles is nearly all his health and the 3rd is, imo, a waste. Just use your AA to get them all low hp, then gun them down with impunity. Plus, it gives you a little time to react to any chaff/flares they may trigger off.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got this for my brother for christmas. Maybe now would be a good time to get him into the forums. Hmmm...

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Anybody any good at armor or infantry and feel like giving tips? I keep trying but suck something awful. Armor just seems, to me, like it can't kill anything but jeeps in a reasonable amount of time. And infantry... Unless they're in a building, I can't do anything with them either. I guess I need to work on transports to truck them around, but those die in a heartbeat.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the most annoying network issue ever with this title. Basically I can't see any servers popping up in the server browser, and I'm unable to connect to player's servers via right-clicking their names and choosing to join their games.

I've made numerous posts on the Massgate support forums and emailed VU support multiple times, but apart from asking me to supply my dxdiag and msinfo32 info (which is kind of pointless anyway) I haven't received any useful information whatsoever. I even supplied a debug output from the WiC -debug mode but I haven't been able to get this working for over a month.

Which is a shame, really, because it was working just fine without any port forwarding of any sort when I first got it. Then the updates came after I finished my exams and screwed everything up.

(Yes I have TCP 3004 and TCP/UDP 48000 - 48100 forwarded to the right client, even tried going DMZ and no change)

sonictk on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My brother got me the Collector's Edition, which has to be the best Collector's Edition ever. It has a History Channel DVD and a piece of the Berlin Wall and the box looks really good.

The actual game looks awesome, like the really super amazing kind of awesome, but it doesnt actually run on any of our computers. On the medium setting on my dad's laptop it plays like an interactive slide show and on the lowest setting it's still insufferable.

Also shortly after it was bought my mom discarded the receipt, so it sits in it's box mocking me with the most bitter words. )':

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have you tried patching it? Might improve the performance.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My brother got me the Collector's Edition, which has to be the best Collector's Edition ever. It has a History Channel DVD and a piece of the Berlin Wall and the box looks really good.

The actual game looks awesome, like the really super amazing kind of awesome, but it doesnt actually run on any of our computers. On the medium setting on my dad's laptop it plays like an interactive slide show and on the lowest setting it's still insufferable.

Also shortly after it was bought my mom discarded the receipt, so it sits in it's box mocking me with the most bitter words. )':

I'll buy that piece of the Berlin wall if you don't want it.

:3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just picked the Collector's Edition up and it is oh so very excellent. I still haven't played the multiplayer yet, but I totally want to.

Also Team Fortress is still occupying all my multiplayer time.

Mustachio Jones on