Options

World in Conlict

2»

• Options
    servbotservbot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just picked the Collector's Edition up and it is oh so very excellent. I still haven't played the multiplayer yet, but I totally want to.

Also Team Fortress is still occupying all my multiplayer time.

Word

servbot on
  • Options
    KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ToyD wrote: »
    Anybody any good at armor or infantry and feel like giving tips? I keep trying but suck something awful. Armor just seems, to me, like it can't kill anything but jeeps in a reasonable amount of time. And infantry... Unless they're in a building, I can't do anything with them either. I guess I need to work on transports to truck them around, but those die in a heartbeat.

Armor isn't there to kill stuff, its there to capture CPs. You want to keep moving, overwhelm the little resistance on the way and cap. Prolonged engaments with enemy armor (anything else on the ground dies to 2 HEATs, except maybe infantry) tend to draw Airsupport and/or Artillery. Also keep your tanks close together and moving.

Kartan on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So what you're saying is Armor is there to blitz through the enemy line and cap points. Don't even bother with killing stuff, it's simply there as a (heh) tank. Interesting and yet, for me, unsatisfying. Hrmm.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ToyD wrote: »
    So what you're saying is Armor is there to blitz through the enemy line and cap points. Don't even bother with killing stuff, it's simply there as a (heh) tank. Interesting and yet, for me, unsatisfying. Hrmm.

I said don't bother engaging enemy armor, try to get to the juicey AA units, artillery, repair tanks...

Kartan on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God, why does no one here play this game?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I guess they play it so much they don't have time to post.

Kartan on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    multiplayer during beta was fuckawesome, but it wasnt the 50$ fuckawesome they were going to charge for the game.

Its definately lanable, or get a ton of friends in a room and raid a server as a team

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I am so addicted to the multiplayer. The single player so far is fantastic but I'm really loving being infantry.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So you are one of those pesky "keep 5 squads of AT infantry bunched up and one shot my tanks" guys, yes? Well I wish you lots of artillery. And Napalm. Lets not forget the Napalm.

the Singleplayer was designed to be nothing more than a story driven tutorial for the Multiplayer part, and there are some missions where that really shows...the one playing on Wastland and Liberty, for example.

Also, WiC appears to be playable on LAN with only one game, which is something that used be the norm and is now special service. A very good service, though.

Kartan on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Am i dyslexic or is the thread title missing a letter?

To the point, I should get around to buying this game.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Am i dyslexic or is the thread title missing a letter?

To the point, I should get around to buying this game.

It is.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And you should.

Kartan on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    I am so addicted to the multiplayer. The single player so far is fantastic but I'm really loving being infantry.

We should so play sometime. Multiplayer feels pointless alone sometimes. I need a better excuse to play this game.

Everyone compile your names damnit, theres an in game friends system.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    my name in it is Cist

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Based on the demo, I had to order a copy of this.

From the tone, and the scale and approach of the missions available, the demo reminds me a lot of Panzer General I and II (or People's General, if you prefer). A lot of good memories wrapped up in that series.

Doronron on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think anyone can really properly use their stuff to their full potential because of the point thing. Sure, in WWI and II there were Anti Artillery batteries, but be honest people, you use your scanner to find the other asshole playing Support's firing base.. because it nets you the most points the fastest. Almost everyone I see online is using 2-3 Heavy Arties, but will call for Air Support the second they see a Medium Chopper. They don't use Smoke Grenades.

Armor.. no one can play it rite (Unless in a clan) because in General, they receive no Support from anyone. Sure, you have 3 T-80's rolling down a street to the next point obliterating almost everything on the way. but then they stop to shoot and they get annihilated by Artillery Fire, or Heavy Choppers come in and obliterate your mans... etc. I dono how many times I have just flanked the enemy trying to get to their arty/ support.. knowing that I most likely won't have to fight off anything... for Points.

However, nothing is more fun then dropping 3 lines of Napalm on everything that moves... Or 3 heavy artillery strikes that overlap. Or Tactical Nukes.. or Smart Bombing.. or Air Strikes...

This game is so much fun when a team functions together. God I love points.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think anyone can really properly use their stuff to their full potential because of the point thing. Sure, in WWI and II there were Anti Artillery batteries, but be honest people, you use your scanner to find the other asshole playing Support's firing base.. because it nets you the most points the fastest. Almost everyone I see online is using 2-3 Heavy Arties, but will call for Air Support the second they see a Medium Chopper. They don't use Smoke Grenades.

Armor.. no one can play it rite (Unless in a clan) because in General, they receive no Support from anyone. Sure, you have 3 T-80's rolling down a street to the next point obliterating almost everything on the way. but then they stop to shoot and they get annihilated by Artillery Fire, or Heavy Choppers come in and obliterate your mans... etc. I dono how many times I have just flanked the enemy trying to get to their arty/ support.. knowing that I most likely won't have to fight off anything... for Points.

However, nothing is more fun then dropping 3 lines of Napalm on everything that moves... Or 3 heavy artillery strikes that overlap. Or Tactical Nukes.. or Smart Bombing.. or Air Strikes...

Contradictory statement does not compute

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was my point. The game is based on teamwork, but everyone loves the points so much they do what they shouldn't be doing in order to get them.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Usually I find that if at least 1 other person is on the in-game voice chat, the rounds are infinitely better. Not that I always use it having a small child and all, but when I do,a nd someone else is there, it makes life a lot easier.

Plus, using the in-game attention getter tags are good too for people that pay attention.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really want to play with some cooperative people. This game can be so much fun if your teammates work together. My name on Massgate is CyrixD (I think, if that doesn't work try Cyrix), so add me if you'd like to play sometime.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really wanted this game when it came out, but I figured after running the demo that I needed an upgrade before I could run it at anything resembling decently. But then I saw it for 20 bucks at future shop during their boxing week sale and decided to just drop the cash. I played it, and sure enough my machine BARELY runs it. I had to patch it before it would run without losing the mouse, and the last level crashed on me so many times I had to save everytime I completed an objective. Then the next day I finished it all in one go without crashing. So who knows. Anyway, it was a fun single player experiene. I hope to try multi when I get some upgrades.

Error on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

the enemy can't hit you with artillery when his arty is dead, so the guy hunting for arty is actually helping. As is the guy running his hunter-killer pack of medium choppers around to kill enemy choppers. As long as it isn't the entire team doing it...

Kartan on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I meant the Support guys run with 0 AA, not that there is anything wrong with Medium Choppers.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got a gift card to BB for christmas, so I am thinking of picking this up.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was in the beta and have been dicking around with the demo but picked it up for $20 on Amazon thanks to a link in this thread. I would've bought it outright for full price except its mostly a mp game and I'm on dialup, couldn't pass it up for that price though.

It does have a multiplayer spawn install but only for their Massgate service, it doesn't allow local network player on the spawn.

Playing through the campaign:
    I got chills when I called in the nuke on an American town.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah Arrath. I was surprised at how you see the single player characters develop. D:

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bannon and the surrendering soldiers/civilians in Russia D:

Edit: And the call to him mom :(

Arrath on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OK. Just got my CE copy of the game. I have to say it's probably not a good idea to order copies of this ground. A small piece of the berlin wall escaped its packaging and rattled around the box for a while. The discs were scratched up. Fortunately, that didn't keep them from playing -- just looking like the copy I purchased was badly used.

Also just started the SP campaign. It's both mildly disturbing and quite compelling. Looking forward to seeing what kind of hell this will lead to.

...and I think my favorite thing off of the bonus DVD is the cast role call using cheesy 80s TV effects and the Magnum PI theme song. Almost as good as the opener for I-76.

EDIT: For those of you who haven't seen it: Youtube

Doronron on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, I haven't popped in the bonus DVD yet.

I haven't touched the game in weeks due to Bioshock/CoD4/Oblivion, but I wanted to look up the voice actor who played Bannon at IMDB. Unfortunately they didn't have a listing, but I did find out that Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, is somewhere in the game. Wow.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    OK. Just got my CE copy of the game. I have to say it's probably not a good idea to order copies of this ground. A small piece of the berlin wall escaped its packaging and rattled around the box for a while. The discs were scratched up. Fortunately, that didn't keep them from playing -- just looking like the copy I purchased was badly used.

See that, even today, the commies are still a threat.
    I'm about halfway though, Mass Effect was bought the same day as this, and I must heed its sweet call.
    Still one of the most fun RTS games ive ever played. of course, I liked Real War with R. Lee Ermey too, but thats just me.

Spacehog85 on