Options

Build your perfect MMO

2»

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn you all and your Mech Warrior MMO talk. Now I need a cold shower. One question I have is how well a game like that would scale to MMO size. If you want the typical live action combat you will have to force the mechs to spread out it some way. Any ideas?
    Because it's Mechwarrior, I think we could go for some old classics of war: artillery and orbital weapons. A large number of mechs clustered up fighting as a large phalanx are pretty much the perfect target for long range artillery and other AoE weapons that are relatively inaccurate.

EDIT: Of course the other trick would probably be to have a decent cover/hiding system for mechs, and nothing which has assloads of hitpoints and is an obvious candidate to have 100 guys shoot at once.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    First up, no dial-up support. That should allow for more mechs in a given area. Second, I don't want to say bad graphics, just that emphasis should be placed on framerate and artistic style, over real-time ray tracing or whatever the next hot shit video technology is. Both of these will allow for a lot more mechs in a give area.

Then, you give the mechs a reason to spread out. Multiple targets, for example.

Use multiple factions. Four or five. Plus a computer/GM-controlled factions. Each faction would have differing technology and differing uses for resources. Then, players would fight over land, and the land they control would dictate certain types of resources. Say, natural elements, factories, etc. And they'd even want to preserve the factories while fighting over them, so they don't get blown up.

And those resources? Not just points. Each faction would get bonuses and/or special equipment that was only manufactured when the faction controlled a certain type or combination of resource points.

So, it'd sort of be like Planetside, except that the control points would mean something. Basic equipment would always be available, but certain specialized gear would only be available to players if they had certain resources. And if one side got down too far, the computer/GM-controlled one would help them out, somehow.

Also, GM-controlled faction? Played by a combination of live GMs handling the game like an RTS and AI.
    I was with you up till the GM-controlled faction.
    If anything can be learned from the bull shit in EVE it's that GMs should strive for a handsoff policy as much as possible when it comes to interacting with players. Actively having them in the game leaves them open for all sorts of claims of favoritism within the subscriber base.
    I say if a faction gets squashed, they get squashed. Players within that faction get their mechs (assuming each faction gets mechs unique to it) and can go on to work for the conquering faction or go merc and sell their services to the highest bidder or taking missions from NPCs if noone is hirering. As more factions get squashed the available pool of merc-talent goes up.
    It would be nice to see the free-lance mercs able to carve out their own empire starting a new faction at this point, restarting the whole cycle.

see317 on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just give me the old Dark Sun Online from the TEN Network back.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you put City of Heroes and WoW in a blender, it would be that game.

Everything WoW lacks, CoH has, and vice versa.

If only CoH had items, some non-instanced content, and a better, more all-encompassing story line. I would have loved it oh so much more.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Damn you all and your Mech Warrior MMO talk. Now I need a cold shower. One question I have is how well a game like that would scale to MMO size. If you want the typical live action combat you will have to force the mechs to spread out it some way. Any ideas?

Galaxies and planets are pretty big... but I'm thinking similar to eve. Planets will have multiple sections, based on continents. like systems in eve. And these planets will be located in solar systems, which would be on the scale of Constellations.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Planetside 2, but make it look like Gears of War.

I uh, that's pretty much it.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

All my dicks etc.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In my perfect MMO, players must submit verification of age in-person, and nobody under the age of 21 is allowed to play with people over 21. Also, any item that can only be acquired after weeks or even months of effort will be named “Losers <item>”, so that when players who spend 60+ hours a week playing MMOs try to act like their gear makes them cool, it instead reminds them why they need to get out of the basement now and then.

supabeast on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    In my perfect MMO, players must submit verification of age in-person, and nobody under the age of 21 is allowed to play with people over 21. Also, any item that can only be acquired after weeks or even months of effort will be named “Losers <item>”, so that when players who spend 60+ hours a week playing MMOs try to act like their gear makes them cool, it instead reminds them why they need to get out of the basement now and then.

I like the idea of age themed MMOs, but I'd use 18+ as adult, since that is a more civilised way of doing things. The problem is though I don't think it would be enforced that well - if the government has trouble stopping under agers smoking/gambling/drinking what hope do you think for a private company that might well have be hiring students or low paid types to enforce it?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I always thought that MMOs should have 2 sets for global chats, one nomal and one for idiots. If a GM got a ticket about a idiot in the nomal chat they would be able to move them over where they belong. The trick is that there would be no notification or way to find out what chat you are on. Hopefully the idiots wouldn't even know what happened.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I always thought that MMOs should have 2 sets for global chats, one nomal and one for idiots. If a GM got a ticket about a idiot in the nomal chat they would be able to move them over where they belong. The trick is that there would be no notification or way to find out what chat you are on. Hopefully the idiots wouldn't even know what happened.
    I do like the idea of age verification, though. Maybe via driver's license or something. I know it's not perfect, but I'd love to see a server for the high school and under crowd, a 18-25 server, and a 25+ server.

Seriously, the high school kids are bad, but the idiot college kids are just as bad. Particularly, those guys.

20070514.jpg

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Or you know, you could just not interact with people who are clearly idiots. Because this isn't actually an age related thing in the crowd who can afford MMO subscriptions.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Armored Core MMO

If done right it could be so fucking good.

I imagine it would be alot like EVE.

But in AC's.

This is what I yearn for every moment of my existence.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sami wrote: »
    Armored Core MMO

If done right it could be so fucking good.

I imagine it would be alot like EVE.

But in AC's.

This is what I yearn for every moment of my existence.
    Give the guns some weight, and make the ACs feel less like drugged-up ballerinas re-enacting Courching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and I'm with you.

But let's be honest, AC is very asian. If they turned it into a MMO, your mech wouldn't even be customizable to start. Everyone would get the same one. And each upgrade would require 326 hours of grinding and camping to get. :P

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

More bloom?

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WoW with better PVP would be my ideal MMO, I suppose. I'm not real high on the whole D&D type feel of orcs and humans and shit but, eh, not a big deal.

Whatever happened to the rumored Highlander MMO?

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My ideal mmo would be ff11 with wow's accessibility/soloability, most of the important nm's put into instances, and a hybridization of DAoC and lotro pvp, where one side defends their keep against a group of pc ran beastmen.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh and every MMO without exception from now on should really just shamelessly copy CoX's cross server chat and account based friends system. It's amazing and makes the systems in WoW or other MMOs look really archaic and crappy by comparison.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    also auction houses. for fucks sake. I hate trading.

• Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    forgot to mention there needs to only be one server, none of this shard crap.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I almost got excited about WoW until I saw mention of people mailing crafting materials and the resulting crafted goods about because they couldn't store them all on their real character. Diablo II required mules. It should have ended there.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Here's one more: EQ2's LFG system.

Not only can you flag yourself as filling certain roles for your class/build, but groups can flag themselves as looking for certain roles, too. It's awesome.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    mechwarrior MMO, where you're actually in the cockpit.

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • Options
    sapphsapph Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CripTonic wrote: »

If only CoH had items, some non-instanced content, and a better, more all-encompassing story line. I would have loved it oh so much more.

You mean like Inventions, the Rikti War Zone, and . . . well, I don't have shit for the last one. Supposedly I12 is gonna be a very low feature story-based issue to set everything up for the Coming Storm in I13.

Things in CoX that every MMO from now on EVER needs to copy:

Sidekick/Exemplar System. Don't ask, just fucking do it.

Global (Cross-Server) Chat System. See above

Character Creator. I hear some shit about customizable WoW is, and I get 5 fucking faces, and 2 skin colors? What is this, World of Jamie Madrox?

Dev Team. I look at the interaction other MMO communities have with their dev teams, and I just laugh at how fucked you all are. Meanwhile, CoX devs have logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20K posts in the last 3 years. Hell, I have the lead dev on my Live friends list. And then I look at that arrogant bastard Garriot, and he's not even making a forum. Get a damn clue.

sapph on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    cncaudata wrote: »
    I almost got excited about WoW until I saw mention of people mailing crafting materials and the resulting crafted goods about because they couldn't store them all on their real character. Diablo II required mules. It should have ended there.

Yeah the mule thing sucked - I think I had 3 characters I played on my main server and every other slot was a mule of some kind - Enchanting, mining, fabrics, herbs, consumables, rep handins blah blah

Kalkino on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FFXI job change mechanic yes please.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Megaman/Megaman X online!

Anyway I just want to pvp with an actual person instead of the AI.
    Can you imagine it?
    It would be awesome.

Peas on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My perfect mmo would be Eve being developed by a company which wasn't incompetent at:

Programming
    PR
    QA
    Implementation of updates
    Fixing bugs which are caused by said updates
    Implementing even more updates before fixing the aforementioned bugs

Essentially everything to do with the actual program should be done by someone that knows what they're doing.

And in my ideal, crazy fantasy world, lag would also be taken out of 500+ person fleet fights.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    sapph wrote: »
    CripTonic wrote: »

You mean like Inventions, the Rikti War Zone, and . . . well, I don't have shit for the last one. Supposedly I12 is gonna be a very low feature story-based issue to set everything up for the Coming Storm in I13.

Things in CoX that every MMO from now on EVER needs to copy:

Sidekick/Exemplar System. Don't ask, just fucking do it.

Global (Cross-Server) Chat System. See above

Character Creator. I hear some shit about customizable WoW is, and I get 5 fucking faces, and 2 skin colors? What is this, World of Jamie Madrox?

Dev Team. I look at the interaction other MMO communities have with their dev teams, and I just laugh at how fucked you all are. Meanwhile, CoX devs have logged somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20K posts in the last 3 years. Hell, I have the lead dev on my Live friends list. And then I look at that arrogant bastard Garriot, and he's not even making a forum. Get a damn clue.

I like most of this, but especially the lime'd bit. (duh)

I really believe that as far as mechanics and the like go, WoW and CoX are "perfect" MMO's.

The thing is, they are almost complete opposites, and like stated above, what one has the other lacks.

If I had to sum up how I feel about both games, I would say that WoW took the standard MMO model and perfected it. Seriously. Not to say the GAME is perfect, but the MECHANICS of the game ARE. It is easy to get the hang of, complex if you want it to be, and lets you interact with other people in a game environment relatively easily.

The complaints people have with WoW arent based on the features it has, but rather on their execution.

Ill say it again.
    How certain features that WoW has (that would be asked for if not present) are very poorly executed. this can be summed up by calling it World of Grindcraft. HOWEVER, the fact that everything is still seamlessly integrated into the game and no feature is truly not present (correct me if I am wrong guys) to me, makes it "perfect".

Tl;DR about WoW: Has all the right ideas and thus is "perfect" but did not execute them well enough in many cases

On the other hand, CoX has many really INNOVATIVE features. Most are mentioned above, but I would like to reiterate.

Character creation- Seriously amazing.
    Character advancement- Odd, but unique. It doesnt really make SENSE thematically but it works well.
    Cross server/account chat- Arguably one of the few mechanics WoW messed up, but it makes sense that WoW doesnt have it in a weird way.
    Static Damage- CoX took out a bunch of the "dice" out of the RPG part of the game, for better or worse. If I use an attack, there are VERY few "checks" the game makes. It checks to see if I hit and if the attack has a proc, it checks to see if that proc occurs. Each attack has a set amount of damage it will ALWAYS do.

Ex- In Wow an attack will do 1-5 dmg, modified by your stats and your opponent's stats. In CoX your attack will always do 3.55 dmg before your stats and your opponent's stats. (Note: In CoH "Stats" is a misnomer. Again, there is not much variability besides what Enhancements you have slotted. Two characters of equal level with equal slotting fighting the same mob will do the same dmg if they use the same attack)

Limited Crafting system- It makes sense for the world they made, and the implementation of a more complex system made the game more interesting, but for some "concept" characters can really break the immersion. (A nuclear dinosaur probably won't be able to invent awesome enhancements, he will just eat things)

This is getting long and I could talk forever about this, so I will stop with the actually relevant information:

My "Perfect" MMO is actually TWO MMO's, and both are "cleaned up" versions of WoW and CoX.

One would be WoW with many of its features retooled and made more accessible. There would be a character creator akin to CoX in regards to build and facial features, and the armor you receive ala-WoW would be color-customizable (at the very LEAST). I know MMO's need to be a timesink in order for you to keep playing but if you have the class diversity WoW has, making things easier to accomplish would make people make more characters and thus play just as long. This game should have the same distinction of WoW between PVP and PVE, but retooled in one major way. PVE servers are essentially a different GAME than the PVP servers. Using WOW as an example: Horde vs Alliance. On the PVE server those two factions would NOT BE AT WAR. You can mark yourself as a hostile by "flagging" for pvp and thus, opening yourself to attack from anyone, or you can go into battlegrounds and arenas.You can talk and trade freely with both sides. On the PVP server it is how WOW is now, but not PVE/neutral Zones. High level players will be able to camp lowbie areas if they want, and the camped side is forced to respond by high level quest givers either turning off, or giving out quests to take back their homeland, with substantial rewards.

The second MMO would be CoX, but merged with Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Remove "Archetypes" and just have a large collection of primary and secondary skill trees. NO FORCED PVP AT ALL. This means no PVP rewards, no quests to send you to PVP zones, etc. If you want to fight someone, you have to go somewhere specific. Make this game focused on character creation in a ridiculous way ala CoX. Removing PVP allows people to make "gimp" or "min/max" thematic builds as they see fit, just like in oblivion. Taking an example from CoX, someone could take two blast power pools, a melee and ranged set, two defense sets, two controls, etc etc etc....This also frees the devs up from making powersets with ridiculous abilities just for parity as is seen in CoX (See blaster's */fire set for one of these. They wanted an immobilize...Ring of Fire? These hardened criminals cant step out of a ring of fire at their feet?)

Important note- both these suggestions are for mechanics and not thematics. Both the fantasy world of WoW and the Comic book mythos of CoX would work well with either system, with a few tweaks.

TL;DR

WoW and CoX are really on the right track, they just need to make up their minds about what they want.

Arch on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Arch wrote:
    Remove "Archetypes" and just have a large collection of primary and secondary skill trees.
    The problem with this idea is the more freedom you give the players the harder it is to find some kind of balance. With that much freedom you will get a ton of players that are using FOTM builds but casual players will be more able to gimp themselves.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    sapphsapph Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Which is exactly why CoH went from no AT in pre-beta to an AT system.

sapph on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Arch wrote:
    Remove "Archetypes" and just have a large collection of primary and secondary skill trees.
    The problem with this idea is the more freedom you give the players the harder it is to find some kind of balance. With that much freedom you will get a ton of players that are using FOTM builds but casual players will be more able to gimp themselves.
    So what?

Make respecs a bit more available (e.g. still require a trial, but can be done as many times as you want).

Look, CoH has absolutely no semblance of balance at all right now.

Let's just look a the blue side real quick:

Scrappers: kick ass solo, kick ass in a group, enormous damage output, very high safety

Tankers: Lousy solo, might kick ass in a group, crappy damage output, highest safety

Controllers: Awful solo, kick ass in a group, kinda high safety, laughable damage output

Defenders: Fucking unbelievably awful solo, kick ass in a group, but less so than a controller, laughable damage output, even less safety than a controller

Blasters: Okay solo, kick ass in a group, but not as much as a scrapper, awesome damage output, very little safety

The whole risk/reward factor in CoH is just shot to hell, and that's after almost 4 years of balancing. It's just endemic to MMOs - there's never going to be perfect balance. In most of them, there's never even going to be an approximation of it.

And this concern over flavor of the month builds is just fucking stupid. They're going to be around no matter what. The problem is that with CoH's current structure, the FOTM builds are around because they, quite often, really are the most powerful. With a wide-open power selection system, the FOTM builds tend to just be the uncreative.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Arch wrote:

Did you even read the next part or did I not make it clear? (Not being mean, I typed it up hella late)

NO PVP AT ALL

Balance DOESNT MATTER ONE BIT

Think Oblivion

You could TOTALLY gimp yourself if you wanted to, and many people did, because THATS THE CHARACTER THEY WANTED.

I know that if AT's were removed from CoH I would make both Overpowered mob-killers AND weak-ass jive turkeys.

I would love an Armor and a control power....I would LOVE an Armor set and a ranged set (Fuck them and "range is a blaster's defense". That shit is weak when every mob has a form of ranged damage.) I would LOVE melee and ranged set with NO armor.

Point is, FREEDOM. If the PVP option was VERY far removed from the game, what would it MATTER if one spec was really broken?

Plus a lot of things could be tweaked if they knew that someone could have ANY combo AT ALL. Use your imagination guys!

Arch on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Arch wrote: »
    NO PVP AT ALL

Balance DOESNT MATTER ONE BIT

Sorry I have been away from the thread for so long after being the one to start it - bit hectic at work catching up after the holiday break.

I'll put a summary together of what we have so far during my lunch break, but for now I just wanted to make one comment on this.

The danger I can see with giving too much freedom to build FOTM builds versus gimped builds is it that total freedom does seem (anecdotally) to actually lead to less diversity. Although some people will make oddball builds for schnicks and giggles, their main character will generally be the FOTM build, and even if the server is PvE only based, people will tend to make the most 'powerful' solo build to make their lives easier.

Remember SWG? Just how many Rifleman/Swordsmen or Rifleman/Teri Kasi characters were there running around when that was FOTM? or Creature Handlers when you could have 3 pets out?

One possible way to counter would be to reduce the ability to retrain to a different build, but I am generally opposed to locking people into one path (particularly if it's a case of one character per server) as, and this is a purely selfish reason, I enjoy experimenting with different professions and classes.

Anyway - back to work, will post something later.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Very good points overall, but you still missed the point of what s3rial and I are saying trevelllian. Both of us believe that MMO's these days shoot themselves in the foot trying to please everyone and too many players (and dev's to some degree) are afraid of this monster called "The FOTM build". Again, let me restate my point: Who cares????

Yes, some (ok lets not kid, MANY) people will take some super fuckawesome spec that PWNS anything in a three mile radius, but WHO CARES? This MMO I am describing is something akin to a console RPG, but with more choices in your character and the ability to have your party made up of other real people.

The only problem I see is some powers becoming obsolete ala COH, as in, everyone says "Man X power really blows dont take it etcetcetc..." Regardless of the validity of this point, MANY PEOPLE LISTEN. Which is annoying when someone like me who takes something like Flurry or whirlwind gets made fun of. So what If I dont PWN faces? I want to throw people around me in a tornado.

Having a game be imbalanced when there is very little player competition is completely ok as long as the Dev's are conscious of this fact during development. Also- make every power pool fuckawesome and the best it can be, and that ends a lot of the problem.
    trevellian wrote: »

One possible way to counter would be to reduce the ability to retrain to a different build, but I am generally opposed to locking people into one path (particularly if it's a case of one character per server) as, and this is a purely selfish reason, I enjoy experimenting with different professions and classes.

Very good point- and I am actually curious about how familiar with City of heroes you are? If you are not, check out CoHplanner and look at the different powersets available and then think about what I am saying. Being able to choose ANY primary and ANY secondary, and (probably) round those out with some extra bits would be awesome, and what I am discussing.

Also- see their respec system. It would work well for what I am describing.

Anyway, lunchtime with the fiancee so Ill be back sometime!

Arch on
  • Options
    SimianNationSimianNation Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Having a game be imbalanced when there is very little player competition"

Problem is, almost all humans LOVE competition. It is what drives us, whether we like it or not.

We are all just chimps with guns.

SimianNation on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Having a game be imbalanced when there is very little player competition"

Problem is, almost all humans LOVE competition. It is what drives us, whether we like it or not.

We are all just chimps with guns.

Speak for yourself, monkeyman. :P

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like it when I don't have to choose between having a viable character and having the character I want to have.

Remember that "viable" will always, always, ALWAYS mean "one of the best." See: FFXI.

Garthor on
  • Options
    SimianNationSimianNation Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My Perfect MMOG.

I wont repeat what others have said because I pretty much agree with most of it. I think the perfect MMOG would have a license from MW or SW or something similar. I also love post-apocalyptic cyberpunk too. I guess that is why I would love MW more than SW, which is just too family friendly for my liking at times.

My ideas are on the overall game style. (and I will pretend anybody cares! :lol: ) I am also trying to keep within reality of current+5 years tech in that this MMOG should actally be possible with a reasonable amount of cash. My ideal unrealistic MMOG would be fully immersive VR of course...!?

I think the perfect MMOG would be multifaceted, with players being able to choose which parts they wish to play at a certain time. It would almost be like having multiple characters to some extent - although specialising in the end game always trumps jack of all trades as always. This was attemped in World War II Online (soldier/pilot/tanky/officer) and the general principle was very exciting, if not the game itself! O_o
    The overall game would be tied together strongly however, with trading/politics/zones of control all interacting seamlessly with actual consequences for everyone involved.

Galactic Politics and the Galaxy
    The universe is divided up in a similar fashion to Eve. A nation/corperation gets major benefits for owning more territory. However the larger you are, the harder it is to maintain it. Large empires will tend to crumble in time due to natural entropy and being assaulted on multiple fronts by others.
    Players in larger organisations benefit from the safety and freedom of movement/trade they provide, but the ability to profit/advance in the organisation is greatly reduced due to numbers. Also, membership costs in service and/or tax.
    This encourages privateers and startups. Entry for startups with sufficient numbers is negligible by comparison to holding on to a massive organisation.
    High level (galactic) leadership is chosen by the organisation itself and begins with the leaders of planets/bases. The methods vary and are chosen by the members themselves. (e.g. senate, monarchy-style, total democracy) The game actually aids this though, with a voting system and having many aspects of the organisation tweakable.
    Galactic leaders can heavily influence the resources under their control. They can allocate funds to border worlds for defence only (for example) or demand that a planet pay its tax in a certain resource.

Planet/Base Politics
    Each base/planet has the ability to run itself in AI mode. It will issue missions, allow trade etc. However, it CAN be taken over and owned, either micro managed or left in AI mode. If the owners don't upkeep it, it will be lost and revert back to AI mode again. Upkeep costs in money/resources and/or missions. Leaders can boost (or let slide) certain areas of the planet's economy.
    E.g. Not funding defence as much results in fewer NPCs roaming about or turrets to be less powerful.
    Each OWNED base/planet/mothership is organised in its own hierachy and governed somewhat independantly from the galactic parent - assuming it has one. (this parent would have a major say in how independant they are) It would also be possible for planets/bases to break from the parent if they didn't feel it was worth it anymore.
    NPCs are hired as well as players for defence. Resources are collected on world or are traded for in a similar fashion to privateer. The planet leaders can issue "missions" for various tasks it requires or to boost defence etc.

Individual Politics
    Individuals choose the planet/mothership they belong to - or none at all. While members are free to roam wherever they choose, they still have a "home" where they have "rank" and are typically expected to pay taxes/etc. Earning rank is acheived by doing missions (assigned by leaders or the game) for that base. Earning high-level rank so that you can actually help run the planet is only ever assigned by players.
    In AI mode, large amount of money and rank from a group of people are required to take over a planet or base.

Galactic Warfare
    Planets/bases/"other important spots" are fought over at the galactic level. Motherships and bases are actually (limited) spawing points for troops/fighters and the overall war strategy is based around these.
    Taking a planet would require blockades and at least a week or two of fighting in space and the ground. Raids are possible also for just monetary gain or just to overthrow the current owners and reset the planet to AI mode.
    Players control fighters/gun turrets/etc at will. They of course can even throw their own ships in if they like - with bounties offered by the owners in this case.

Ground Combat
    Planets have a number of bases scattered over the surface. From these, ground based missions/etc take place. Anyone can visit a planet. The locals will even refrain from shooting you if you are not considered hostile. Obviously taking a planet involves taking these bases one by one.
    Artilery, vehicles etc are all possible here.

Ship/Base Combat
    Once inside a base or capital ship, you can attack it man to man as opposed to destroying it outright. Commando style raids are also possible, attacking certain systems such as the engine room.
    Damaging a base actually damages it, meaning it must be repaired again to work properly.

PVP
    Attacking players is limited to people who:
    - belong to another organisation you are at war with
    - have been flagged as an enemy (stole from /attacked your base etc)
    - accepted a duel
    - are currently located in a "PVP zone"

Trading/Craftng
    Privateer style trading. The usual asteroid belts and miners etc. Not all trade requires players, with goods being able to be auto-traded by the AI in certain amounts. Of course pirates can disrupt this process.
    Crafting types are wide and varied but based on the same principle. I agree that SWG had the best model for this.
    Trading intra-planet or intra-organisation is cheap and quick. Trading between others is more expensive and takes time.

Well...that was a waste of time. Anyways, feel free to make comments.

Monkeyman out. :)

SimianNation on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That did sound kind of cool

Kalkino on