As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The car dilemma

Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been with out a car quite a while now and I've been saving trying to get enough to replace my old one that died on me. Schools starting soon and I need one more then ever.

The problem is that I only have considerably less then $4000 to spend on one. Looking through this price range doesnt exactly give me a lot of good options for a car that im going to be with for a very long time. It's always either a cheap car or a car thats has had problems or one that has too many miles on it.

I mean for a car that I'm going to be stuck with for a long time I want to have some reassurances its not going to shit out on me every other week and be a constant source of stress. Thats how my old car was. Even then though with how much money I have to spend I dont feel like it would be a very chance that it isnt going to be.

But thats where another problem comes. If there is any problems I might not be in a right place to put more money down on it.

I don't know if I should look into another car thats a lot cheaper to hold me off till I can afford a better one. I'd be able to afford repairs easier but then that means I would have to look and choose between the real low end cars that go for around just $1000. I dont know what to look for.

I can't afford making monthly payments. I have no credit because I am silly. No one will co sign anything for me.

Not having a car for myself after owning one is eating me up inside. I need a car very soon.

Riggs Blitzkrieg on

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    How much do you have to spend?

I'd recommend looking for a good used Subaru, I've owned a couple in the past, they're great little cars, usually available for a couple grand, and they drive like fucking crazy. Get it checked by a mechanic first, and use whatever is wrong with it as bargaining material with the dealer - tell him to split the cost of repairs to make it at least reliable before you take it off the lot.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Only about $3500. I might be able to stretch it out to $4000 but I dont know

yes I know

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Check craigslist. My roommate bought a pretty reliable car for about $900. The guy listed it for about $1400, but he was really nice and brought it down to $900 while we were test driving it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Everyone I have know that has spent less then 5k on a car usually ends up making repairs to it down the road. My friend bought a Honda accord ended up replacing the clutch then the AC went on him.. Which I know doesn't sound like much but an ac compressor is like 1500...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    depending on where you live, you may be able to get a decent car for that. Look to spend around $2500 or so of that money on the car itself, maybe up to $3000 if you can bump up the total in your stash to $4000, and then spending the rest getting the car running smoothly.

And, seriously, look for a subaru. You can't go wrong with a subaru.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    also look into honda. As long as it has less than 150000 miles it should run till at least 200000 before it will need major maintenance work. I got a prelude for 4000$ with 80 thousand miles. Aside from a new alternator at 100000 it worked fine up till i sold it with 160000 on it.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Everyone I have know that has spent less then 5k on a car usually ends up making repairs to it down the road. My friend bought a Honda accord ended up replacing the clutch then the AC went on him.. Which I know doesn't sound like much but an ac compressor is like 1500...

As long as your repair bills per month average less than a car payment, you're not really harming yourself.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Early 90's Honda. Seriously. You can get a 90-94 Honda Accord for under $3500 with 110k miles or less, and they go up to 450k when well maintained.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Early 90's Honda. Seriously. You can get a 90-94 Honda Accord for under $3500 with 110k miles or less, and they go up to 450k when well maintained.

Seconded. These cars (if well kept and driven humanely) will run until the wheels fall off, and there should be dozens to choose from. I also would say look at Toyota and Subaru- but I can never seem to find any Subaru's, mostly because people keep those things forever and they are snatched up in an instant on the used market. Also, old (like 80's old, avoid the 90's! Electrical problems everywhere.) VWs arent too shabby- the diesels get good mileage and are made to last.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]