As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free programs to optimize Monitors

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
I finally received my Hanns-G '19 LCD monitor from newegg today. It looks nice enough at 1440x900, but I was wondering if there were any free software programs that will optimize the colors, text font etc to make the monitor look its prettiest.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I finally received my Hanns-G '19 LCD monitor from newegg today. It looks nice enough at 1440x900, but I was wondering if there were any free software programs that will optimize the colors, text font etc to make the monitor look its prettiest.

You may find some programs that can help optimize the colors, but the right tool for the job is a colorimiter and the accompanying software. Those are decidedly not free, but maybe you could borrow one from someone. The monitor may also have a color profile on the CD it came with or on Hanns-G's site.

You're using the DVI connector, right? Because people who use VGA cables with their LCDs make me cry at night.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    hah. My TV forces me to use VGA if I want it to recognize my PC as a PC and allow me to use PIP and PC mode goodies.

On the plus side, it was faster to calibrate and looks better over VGA anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could I get a couple links or names to those colorimiters?

Also, there is a DVI port that came with a DVI cable, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now it's hooked up via VGA. The reason is because I normally have the DVI port free to hook up my PC to my '40 LCD TV.

If it makes that big a difference I'll hook up the '19 monitor via DVI.

Also, is there a way to have jpeg pictures from websites open up around the center of the screen, instead of the top left?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could I get a couple links or names to those colorimiters?

You can shop around to see if there are any deals, but here is one from the manufacturer..
    Also, there is a DVI port that came with a DVI cable, but I haven't tried it yet. Right now it's hooked up via VGA. The reason is because I normally have the DVI port free to hook up my PC to my '40 LCD TV.

I don't know which monitor you have, but my Hanns-G I recently bought has a button that will calibrate the input and screen size/position (like how you would have to center and adjust the picture on a CRT) automatically. The instructions will probably tell you how to do this manually if your monitor lacks that feature.
    If it makes that big a difference I'll hook up the '19 monitor via DVI.

After doing the above and seeing how things look, you could hook it up via DVI and see if the picture improvement warrants using DVI over VGA.
    Also, is there a way to have jpeg pictures from websites open up around the center of the screen, instead of the top left?

I don't think Firefox has an option for that.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't know of any browser that allows that as an option, but you could implement it using CSS, and you can use that to force Firefox to do it. I think all of the current versions of the major browsers allow user style sheets, actually.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    just throwing this out there but a colorimeter doesn't necessarily make a monitor look its best, just its most accurate for graphic design. With monitors, LCDs especially accurate does not always equal looking its best.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin