As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Galactic Civ 2, why am I so poor?

GahazakulGahazakul regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Just as she says. But also, what are some simple ideas to get my civs profitable, I seem to always be struggling to keep out of the red. I am mostly leaning towards war in the campaign, saving the more intresting options for the large maps. But I just got this today, and being a Civ 4 fan, I am lovin the ever living crap out of this game, just haven't got my mind wrapped around what it wants from me yet.

Gahazakul on

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Be sure to build entertainment networks on your planets, keep your population happy and then ramp up the tax rates. Trade also helps, but soon you can come dependant on it and you lose your lifeblood as you destroy your trade partners.

Arrath on
  • GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    hmm, I like the sound of that. I haven't fiddled with the tax rates yet, thx for the tip. Anyone else have anything to add?

Gahazakul on
  • AselithAselith Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Just as she says. But also, what are some simple ideas to get my civs profitable, I seem to always be struggling to keep out of the red. I am mostly leaning towards war in the campaign, saving the more intresting options for the large maps. But I just got this today, and being a Civ 4 fan, I am lovin the ever living crap out of this game, just haven't got my mind wrapped around what it wants from me yet.

I just got it today too. :P

Aselith on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm considering buying it simply because it doesn't feature any sort of copy protection. I meant to do it back when the whole StarForce torrent fiasco was going on, but I forgot about it until now. I think Stardock is a good company that makes good games, and I want to give them money so they can keep making cool games.

On a side note, I really want to play it, but I don't meet minimum specs (seriously).

Einhander on
  • freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love playing it but find it so totally overwhelming at times! Any tips from seasoned pros?

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought this from Circuit City same day I bought Orange box. I was surprised to see it on the shelf there, I almost didn't pick up Orange box because of this game but I decided that I could live without food for a day or 2 and picked both up.

The new expansion should be coming out soon which improves the graphics and adds a slew of new features.

If you ever think you suck at the game, you don't, the AI is just so damn good that it can have its way with you before you even click new game.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also I'm finding that I can barely inhabit any other planets, am I being a douché and missing something really obvious or is it a case of finding planets which don't fuck people up?

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Most of the planets you can't inhabit, some you need to research tech to inhabit them. But you will know which those are by the icon next to the planet.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not played in a while, but I always found the trick to managing your colonies was pick a rough level of happiness (higher near hostile space, lower further away) and keep ramping the taxes until you reach that level. Then just keep an eye on them and tweak as necessary.

Then the way to stay in the black is to adjust the amount of funding that goes into different areas to maintain a trickle of profit. There are three sliders (production, research and something else) which you can play with to choose where the money goes (or doesn't). Find them and use them. You shouldn't ever be losing money unless you want to.

Also, unless you are in a war try to keep the upkeep costs minimal when designing ships so your military doesn't leech all your cash.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    don't neglect trade and influence. Both will generate money (influence does it through tourism I think), and also you can build business upgrades on your planets that increases their income. Don't build more warships than you need, because as I recall they cost money in upkeep. Basically check out the domestic stats screen which shows you where all your cash comes from, and where it is going.

cliffski on
  • GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys. They have helped! And I didn't even know that i could adjust taxes yntil I posted this thread, so really thanks! This game is so huge! I really liked the civ series, but this almost puts it to shame!

Gahazakul on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also I'm finding that I can barely inhabit any other planets, am I being a douché and missing something really obvious or is it a case of finding planets which don't fuck people up?

How soon are you colonizing? If you don't colonize planets fast enough, the computer will snap up all the inhabitable planets, leaving you with only a 3-4 and you end up hosed. You have to buy-out production on colony ships and grab at least 6-7 planets within the first 20-30 turns to ensure your place in the galaxy. If not, your technology will suffer and your race will fade away in the annals of greatness.

Zarcath on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Building trade centers is a great way to make money hand-over-fist. When you find a planet without any good bonuses, just plop down trade/bank buildings and watch the cash flow in.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrivialTrivial Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked this game up recently (Gal Civ 2 + Dread Lords) from a friend but I'm having a real tough time starting out. The tutorial doesn't go in-depth at all, only mentioning how to manage your economy, trade routes, fleet battles, and a few other things. But what I still need to know about is managing your planets (ex. Buying/Building) as well as other specific things here and there.

Is there an online manual or something I can look over?

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love playing it but find it so totally overwhelming at times! Any tips from seasoned pros?

I would type up a long post but it will basically just be a repeat of this:

http://forums.galciv2.com/104908

The_Scarab on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My brother is a "pro" at this game. He also works for the UN, so I guess we can feel some sense of relief for that.

Hoz on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    My brother is a "pro" at this game. He also works for the UN, so I guess we can feel some sense of relief for that.

I remember my high school history teacher being a huge Civ nerd which was awesome because he totally knew his shit.

The_Scarab on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Make sure you patch the game if you haven't. They really rebalanced a lot of stuff from when it was first released, economy being one of them.

Of course it's been a while since I've played. Have any of the expansions/patches made the space combat any more interesting? So much effort was put into the ship editor but then the actual ship to ship combat was so simple compared to other space 4x.

Valkun on
    edited January 2009
    Is a planets population growth always static or do certain things affect it?

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Happiness and racial bonuses affect it - your people can breed like rabbits if you know what you're doing.

Iriah on
    edited January 2009
    By happiness you mean the planets approval?

Trivial on
    - Triv
    edited January 2009
    Yep. Also, for every farm, build two entertainment buildings - I'm not sure if that's the balance in the latest release but it's a good rule of thumb to keep the population approval deficit in line.

Iriah on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In GalCiv 2, never build more then 1 farm on a planet. Your pop should always be between 12-20M (from memory) for maximum tax gain, depending on happiness structures etcet.

This is really counter-intuitive, but basicly, happiness declines so fast with high pop that it plummets your morale, and thus your tax income, more then the gain from the growth in size.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited January 2009
    When a starbase gives, say, +5 to research, is that +5 to research in general or +5 to research to planets in the starbases cone? And does this work the same with other types of starbases (economic, military, etc.)?

Trivial on
    - Triv
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Trivial wrote: »
    When a starbase gives, say, +5 to research, is that +5 to research in general or +5 to research to planets in the starbases cone? And does this work the same with other types of starbases (economic, military, etc.)?

If you're mining a research resource (the purple triangles), then it's +5 to your whole civ. If it's just a random starbase, then it's +5 to those planets.

a5ehren on
    edited January 2009
    What about the other triangles? I found a green triangle (economy resource) in the middle of no where and built a starbase on it. I don't think it really did anything though.. Kinda pointless to put it there to begin with if you ask me.

Trivial on
    - Triv
    edited January 2009
    I've just bought Twilight of the Arnor, and everything is super expensive now, and my initial colony rush strategy is borked. Help!

Iriah on
    edited January 2009
    What about the other triangles? I found a green triangle (economy resource) in the middle of no where and built a starbase on it. I don't think it really did anything though.. Kinda pointless to put it there to begin with if you ask me.

The economy resource gives a slight increase to the amount of money you're making. You have to put 3-4 levels of construction (send more constructors to them) on these resources to really see a benefit.

a5ehren on
    edited January 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    I've just bought Twilight of the Arnor, and everything is super expensive now, and my initial colony rush strategy is borked. Help!

They did that on purpose - just slow down a little bit and you should be ok.

a5ehren on
    edited January 2009
    a5ehren wrote: »

The economy resource gives a slight increase to the amount of money you're making. You have to put 3-4 levels of construction (send more constructors to them) on these resources to really see a benefit.

Coolness, thanks. I was worried the + would be only to the planets in the starbases cone.

Trivial on
    - Triv
    edited January 2009
    Hm, when I select "automate" for a space miner ship it will go around building asteroid mining stations on empty asteroids. Is there any way to have them upgrade stations that are already built instead?

Trivial on
    - Triv
    edited January 2009
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »

They did that on purpose - just slow down a little bit and you should be ok.

I don't understand why they made it harder for the player to do it - it's exactly what the AI does, after all.

In other news, I am the victor of a Large galaxy. Love this game.

Iriah on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wasn't Stardock working on a Master of Magic -like game, too?

KiTA on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

Yes and I can't wait to give them my money:
    http://elementalgame.com/

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Josiah_9 wrote: »

Stupid game, not coming out for another year. I want to give them my money now.

Cinders on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

Actually, just a few months. :) And if you preorder, you can apparently download even sooner.

KiTA on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

Actually, just a few months. :) And if you preorder, you can apparently download even sooner.

The public beta comes out in June, and if you pre-order, you'll get access to all those builds up to release. I'm going to have to pre-order that game. I just discovered it yesterday, and what I saw blew my mind. I need that game! It apparently even has campaign MP (!).

I love you, Stardock. I wish your game wasn't a year away from release. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't forget to use colony manager to view what your empire is doing at a glance.

Plant colonization research only comes in the expansion packs.

I dunno how to change the camera's target in battle.

RoyceSraphim on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Ugh. I hate to say it, but I hate that art direction.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Ugh. I hate to say it, but I hate that art direction.

I've gotta agree, it looks like a cheap Flash game. You say there's multiplayer on launch though? Hmm.

Valkun on