As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arcanum, you know that old troika game.

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hrm, this is crashing a whole bunch for me. And acting like it's struggling to keep up if I do other things while I'm still moving around. Annoying.

L|ama on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I'm unable to find this tech balance mod that everyone is referring to. Can someone give me a link or at least tell me what it's called?

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/doa/krupp_aio_arcanumhackv1.zip

Had to monkey around with the URL until I got it, since their download hub is bugging out.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Hrm, this is crashing a whole bunch for me. And acting like it's struggling to keep up if I do other things while I'm still moving around. Annoying.

Did you download the unofficial patch?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So which of the possible compannions interact the most with you during the game? Virgil has his own sidequest and the whole Panari deal but how often do (for example)
    Magnus
    and
    Raven
    interject during the game?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's been a while, but there's a bit with Magnus I think, and somewhat less with Raven. Virgil is the only one who gets any significant time, as I recall. Raven's stuff is pretty rushed too, I recall it not making a whole lot of sense, just kind of jumping from thing to thing in the dialogue.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know how to heal scars that damage your beauty? I'm down to 6 beauty after getting roughed up by some minor demons and now people are being mean to me :(

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Anyone know how to heal scars that damage your beauty? I'm down to 6 beauty after getting roughed up by some minor demons and now people are being mean to me :(
    Go to a Doctor or Healer, you'll find one in most towns.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ho ho ho. Magnus, you poser.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Ho ho ho. Magnus, you poser.
    I never brought Magnus with me since I always thought that he was such a little twat. I mean, let's
    kill the two non threatening mages just because they've reanimated a bunch of malformed dwarves that's not even your ancestors.
    Maybe I should take him through the entire game this time just to see how his story turns out.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I had the hardest time as a tech-melee dwarf on my first and only play-through. I remember these caves somewhere north that really crushed me.

That said, it was a fabulous game. I mean, implied orgy? Come on!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just what I remember off the top of my head, regarding party members:

Magnus and Loghaire have some decent back-and-forth, especially if you follow the Iron Clan quest to its conclusion. Magnus makes a nice complement to a techie since he can build up to feather-weight axes, a vital part of the godly pyrotechnic axe. Loghaire is a fucking beast who can do almost as much heavy lifting as Dog or any of the ogres.

Vollinger doesn't say much, but he has an interesting twist if you carry him far enough. Namely, once you get to T'sen-Ang and confront
    the leader of the Molochean Hand, he'll either reveal himself as a member of same, or try to lure you out to some isolated meeting spot - alone - and kill you.
    If you're into guns, he's worth keeping around since he can build some of the lower-tier ones necessary for the good stuff.

If you have Virgil and Raven with you, they both have words with
    Nasrudin
    on the Isle of Despair. And speaking of Raven, apparently her screening process consists of "are you male", "are you human/elf", and "can you pick the nicest dialog option in conversation". She also responds curiously well to killing a certain dark elf leader. She's a damn maniac with that special bow you get from a quest in Qintarra.

Torian Kel is not a fan of the Bane of Kree. He wasn't that remarkable otherwise, though.

Z'an Al'urin is probably the only character in the game that has a conversation with
    Arronax
    near the end of the game. I don't remember the details, sadly.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No matter what I do I just can not play anything but a fast talking gun-slinger.

Its simply to much fun!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    No matter what I do I just can not play anything but a fast talking gun-slinger.

Its simply to much fun!

Untill your very first tryout with your new gun has you critcaly failing and blowing off your own arm.

Which is what happened to me since I started this up again, much to my disproval.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

Its simply to much fun!

Untill your very first tryout with your new gun has you critcaly failing and blowing off your own arm.

Which is what happened to me since I started this up again, much to my disproval.

AWESOME

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, it appears that I'm not the only one who got raped by the Black Dwarf Mountains or whatever they are, the first one's with Golems. Glad I'm not alone, however there's something none of you have mentioned that raped me preeeeeetty badly.

That being, did anyone else have you teammates reaction towards you drop as you remained in the cave? I found they all hated me really badly by the end. (I got lost, so I never made it out and so many golems.) Pretty sure Magus even decided to kill me at one point due to how big of an imbecile he found me. :P That, as you might imagine, was where I stopped.

Still, I LOVE(d) this game! :D Thanks thread for reminding me, I'll definitely start it up again when I've got the time, which should be in a few days time. :)

Also, did anyone else get with Virgil, Magnus and Dog in their party on the way to Black Dwarf Mountain (Arg, name? :P)
    The conversation with Nasrudin in his spirit form? (does he have any other forms?) I found it so intensely random, I was just fast travelling to the mountains and BAM, my nemesis is standing there telling me how I'm gonna die. At the time, I figured that was one of the reasons my teammates started hating me after a while. Freaked me right the hell out I must tell you.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man, I reinstalled this, and I'm paralyzed by the character creator.

I feel like I remember this happening

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe I will give this game a try after patching it. Usually, I get overwhelmed with huge open worlds... but I've grown more fond of them recently.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I love how many options you get with the character creator. Right now I'm trying to calculate how to make a charismatic swordmage but it's a bitch and a half to assign those precious skillpoints.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Its simply to much fun!

Yes, but now you're a one-armed fast-talking gunslinger.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Magnus is a decent follower but he's really there for flavor and not fighting. He has to get pretty high in the levels before he becomes something other than a liability.

But he does have very good dialog events and will get you some awesome items near the end of the game if you are also a small bodied race.

You don't need Magnus to get Loghaire though. You just need a fuckton of Intelligence and a save slot before you talk to him. And probably some Charisma.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I spent 5 minutes swapping out all my inventory to drop Vogrim and get Magnus.

Then I actually looked up the stats and ending stats on Magnus and realized I needed to drop him.

I need someone to replace Vogrim, though. He relies on magic heals and I'm super tech focused so they all fizzle. Who is a good partner to a gun slinger and Jayna - the girl you find that makes potions?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One thing I can't figure out is requirements for Armor.

Weapons need strength to wield. Is armor the same way? Are there any spell/tech penalties to wearing armor?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Its simply to much fun!

So wait, you actually lose limbs in this game? That never happened to me. (I never played for more than 2 hours)

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The strength restriction manifests itself in the form of its weight, which can be considerable if you have plate.

Light armor such as Leather Armor and regular garb do not have magic/tech penalties.

Most regular chain mail and plate have a very light magic penalty.

Any chain/plate with a magic property has a tech penalty.

Then obviously any tech crafted armor has a magic penalty.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Its simply to much fun!

So wait, you actually lose limbs in this game? That never happened to me. (I never played for more than 2 hours)

Oh yes, I've lost a leg in the starter area before.

Playing the "Born Under a Star" background is a great way to see some hilarity.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone, quick, while I grab my disks and install:

-batman
    -han solo
    -indiana jones (not quite sure how this would work with skills and all, but i'd play around with it)
    -guybrush threepwood, except good with a sword
    -any other recommended character types

I can't decide what I want to play this time.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Batman and Han Solo would pretty much play the same.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Batman's more of the punching and the gadgets, where as Solo's all about the charisma and the gun slinging.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The strength restriction manifests itself in the form of its weight, which can be considerable if you have plate.

Light armor such as Leather Armor and regular garb do not have magic/tech penalties.

Hmm, ok. Thanks.

Is the tech crafted armor worth it? Since I obviously won't be using magic armor.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

Hmm, ok. Thanks.

Is the tech crafted armor worth it? Since I obviously won't be using magic armor.

In my experience, no... a good crafted weapon will make a much larger impact on your combat ability than heavier armor. Plus there's simply not a whole lot of jaw dropping crafted armor to be had. Crafting in Arcanum is very weapon-centric...

If you are a melee type, get a Pyrotechnic Axe... if you are a gunslinger there are all sorts of hilarious guns to craft.

The best defensive bonus you can get from Tech is two charged rings from the early electric discipline. That will give you 4 extra natural AC which, if I remember correctly, is like going from leather to chain with no weight penalty.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Everyone's forgetting one of the best parts of Arcanum; building your very own army of Automatons. I remember having a horde of about 30 of them following me around, slaughtering everything that came at me. That, and they looked absolutely awesome.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man, I forgot how hard it was to slog through the first five or so levels of this game

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    man, I forgot how hard it was to slog through the first five or so levels of this game

The music keeps you going.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So for a gunslinger, would getting dexterity to 20 be the first thing I should go for (other than a couple of points in persuasion), or should I keep stuff balanced as I go?

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    can one of you dudes elucidate the relationship between statistics and skills for me? if a skill 'depends' on a stat, is there a good way to figure out what the effects of a point in the skill and a point in the stat are? Or do stats only enable higher ranks of the skill?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    can one of you dudes elucidate the relationship between statistics and skills for me? if a skill 'depends' on a stat, is there a good way to figure out what the effects of a point in the skill and a point in the stat are? Or do stats only enable higher ranks of the skill?

Skills have minimum stat requirements, but they also have other effects that relate to the skill in question. Perception affects weapon accuracy across the board, but it's also the important stat for training up bows or firearms. Charisma and Persuasion are linked and individually boost your speech ability, with Persuasion requiring progressively higher levels of Charisma, but Intelligence has dialog options of its own. Dexterity is necessary for melee and dodge, but it also raises your action points in a round. That kind of thing.

It gets a bit more complicated once you start talking spells and tech schools, but the basic rule of thumb is that if a skill depends on a stat, then the stat usually has intrinsic benefits which happen to apply directly to the skill.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, I just installed and am using the three patches from here. Here's to hoping!

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    So for a gunslinger, would getting dexterity to 20 be the first thing I should go for (other than a couple of points in persuasion), or should I keep stuff balanced as I go?

I believe perception is what determines gun skill.

Dex will get your armor class and shooting speed.

If that's a good thing or not depends on your weapon.

If you get a pistol, dex will give you lots of extra shots per turn. If you get a rifle, you might get one extra. Maybe 2 when you hit 20.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, so that would be like say fallout with the gunslinger perk. PE cranking I shall go.

L|ama on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How do I activate my robo-spider? I tried dragging it to the hand icon but that doesn't seem to work at all.

Peas on