As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

• Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just downloaded the 360 demo, played it and promptly deleted it. I'm sorry but that game is rubbish. Not badly made, or glitchy, just bad. The gameplay was rubbish. I don't mean to offend, maybe the 360 version is worse than the PC one, whatever it was that game was not for me. I do however, love kicking people. There needs to be more kicking.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From the sounds of it the 360 version is shaping up to be a "modified" original, so it's probably not wise to discuss the two as a unified product in any way or form.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Was a fun game on PC, but the horrible performance (even after the patches) and game destroying bugs made it impossible for me to finish.
    You sort of philistines are the reason that FPS games are still stuck in the 90s.

You have got to be shitting me. The whole game is an homage to the hack and slash games of the 90s. From the simplified architecture to cheesy story line, its 90s all over.

Sometimes a computer just refuses to run a game. I never got to play System Shock 2 because of that.

Thats retarded. I think you meant "sometimes devs dont make a game that runs worth shit on the designated platform". Shitty coding or lack of resources or time in the development process , should not be consumers problem. When I buy food, I dont expect it to be rotten.
    And system shock didnt have any problems at launch. Currently people have trouble running it simply because it wasnt designed to be run in XP.

muninn on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    And system shock didnt have any problems at launch. Currently people have trouble running it simply because it wasnt designed to be run in XP.

The sequel certainly did for me- odd level-changing or game-saving crash for me. Got especially annoying when co-op was introduced D:

And I'm pretty sure that 90s reference was made with the melee mechanics in mind. Cheesy storyline/setting/whatever aside, the actual combat mechanics certainly didn't have "90s all over".

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Demo is up on Xbox Live.

Was pretty excited about this. No one was on the multiplayer, though. Might pick it up.
    From the sounds of it the 360 version is shaping up to be a "modified" original, so it's probably not wise to discuss the two as a unified product in any way or form.

Seem pretty similar to me. I think the 360 release is just the "fixed" version.

Sheep on
  • NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If anyone is trying to play Dark Messiah currently and having crash problems, try turning the graphics down to medium instead of high.

For whatever reason, nearly all problems seem to relate back to trying to run the high resolution textures, regardless of the spec of your computer. Mine would crash pretty much guaranteed on every level load on high, but then was flawless on medium for the rest of the game, even though actual in game performance was fine on high.

Nohman on
  • StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is this game anything like the game Enclave?

Now THAT was an underrated game... brutally hard though.

Stonecutter on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The elements demo seemed pretty fucking terrible to me.

I mean, the single player was still pretty damned fun, but they took out pretty much all character customization in lieu of giving you set abilities as you leveled up.

The multiplayer was just bad.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Not really... I suppose if you have to compare it to another hack 'n' slash, it's more like Blade of Darkness, with the framework of Half-Life 2's engine.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    I played Dark Messiah through three times. Some of it was awesome, but the dev team didn't realise which bits. The second time through it was like "OH WOW FIGHTING STUFF SHIT YEAH oh right now it's the stupid bit with the spiders and YEAH MORE ORCS SHIT YEAH COOL oh right some rubbish crawler demons where are the spikes this sucks ORCS ORCS ORCS goblins goblins goblins ORCS ORCS ORCS same boss fight for the third time KNIGHTS KNIGHTS KNIGHTS etc...

Tube on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

Not really... I suppose if you have to compare it to another hack 'n' slash, it's more like Blade of Darkness, with the framework of Half-Life 2's engine.
    Or Witchaven, perhaps.

Blade of Darkness always struck me as more of a Die by the Sword analogue.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game got me to try out Arx Fatalis, another game from the same developer. It's pretty cool in spite of its somewhat dated-ness. Also, it has a few graphics glitches on my machine.

Still, it is neat to see where the developer came from before Dark Messiah.

The 360 demo didn't appear washed out to me, though I had to tweak the brightness to fit my monitor. I also felt the combat was just as visceral and fun as the PC version, especially with the addition of rumble.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

Or Witchaven, perhaps.

Blade of Darkness always struck me as more of a Die by the Sword analogue.

I mean in terms of the combat system (minus the interactivity). Witchaven is more like Hexen, with a few more RPG elements added. DBTS is its own thing entirely, though it did receive a somewhat underrated (at the time, anyway) spiritual successor called VARIATION OF THE WORD DRAGON: Cult of the Wyrm for the Dreamcast.

Arx Fatalis is cool, but it completely failed to immerse me. The story was dumb, the world wasn't very interesting and one of the first quests involve finding a birthday present for a troll or something like that.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just bought this the other day. I've only played the first couple of sections but it's a lot of fun. Seriously stabbing people in the face and whacking their heads off is awesome. The camera does kind of make me a little nauseous if to much is going on. I've never had that happen in an FPS before.

Drool on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    I just bought this the other day. I've only played the first couple of sections but it's a lot of fun. Seriously stabbing people in the face and whacking their heads off is awesome. The camera does kind of make me a little nauseous if to much is going on. I've never had that happen in an FPS before.

You're not the only one it makes nauseous. There seems to be a large number of people it makes nauseous. It's probably because the camera is so animated. I like it, personally, but it's completely understandable.

And now I want to play it again.

Time for downloading on Steam.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah it's a cool effect, but I think they could have smoothed it out a bit so you don't have to see every jiggle and shake. It's not so bad that I can't play it though, but I doubt I could sit and play for hours on end.

Drool on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ugh. Steam, you are a DUMBASS.

I HAVE THE DVD IN THE DRIVE, YOU STUPID SHIT. WHY ARE YOU RE-DOWNLOADING A GAME I JUST INSTALLED FROM THAT DVD!

I WANT TO PLAY!

:(

MechMantis on
  • notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dark Messiah is an awesome if buggy game. The combat is brutal and fast, but if you pay attention you can trick the AI in creative ways. The first time you travel to that island and have to fight Orcs in the outside ruined city, I managed to kill a bunch of Orcs by shooting ice at their feet when they try to jump over a roof to get to me. I probably took out almost half a dozen of them when one of them sneaked behind me and quickly disposed me of in 3 hits followed by a kick to the face that send me off the roof.

I so wished Oblivion had the same combat system as Dark Messiah, it would make for one of the greatest game of all time.

notagame on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I played Dark Messiah through three times. Some of it was awesome, but the dev team didn't realise which bits. The second time through it was like "OH WOW FIGHTING STUFF SHIT YEAH oh right now it's the stupid bit with the spiders and YEAH MORE ORCS SHIT YEAH COOL oh right some rubbish crawler demons where are the spikes this sucks ORCS ORCS ORCS goblins goblins goblins ORCS ORCS ORCS same boss fight for the third time KNIGHTS KNIGHTS KNIGHTS etc...

Yeah, that's basically my take on it too second time. Although the second time through I'd saved up about eight firetrap scrolls and a fireball scroll or two for the spiders, and later worked up to fire trap. They are extremely weak to fire.
    I didn't get touched, it was satisfying.
    My third time through I was a pure mage and I have never had that much fun as a mage in any game ever. Places where I had to be sneaky with my thief or crafty with the warrior I blew to fucking HELL and back, bouncing them off the opposite wall at times. It was glorious.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited December 2007
    The first time I went through the game I'd crafted some sort of magma sword for the spider-heavy bits and managed to miss how potentially difficult they might be.

But yeah, DM was one of the few games with combat segments I found so damn interesting that I'd actually replay them of my own accord, even if I'd got through them without a scratch.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »

I HAVE THE DVD IN THE DRIVE, YOU STUPID SHIT. WHY ARE YOU RE-DOWNLOADING A GAME I JUST INSTALLED FROM THAT DVD!

I WANT TO PLAY!

My friend was new to steam, and bought orange box, put disc in to install, and pretty much repeated that verbatim. Just had to explain that its just downloading all the updated files from scratch.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love this game despite the shitty story and technical issues. The moment I managed to
    slit the throat of the last boss, with my assassin character, was a glorious day indeed.
    I really have to try out a Mage character one day though.

I have to say that I'm still hoping for an expansion disc or sequel, no matter how improbable that looks right now.

Silpheed on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I love this game despite the shitty story and technical issues. The moment I managed to
    slit the throat of the last boss, with my assassin character, was a glorious day indeed.
    I really have to try out a Mage character one day though.

I have to say that I'm still hoping for an expansion disc or sequel, no matter how improbable that looks right now.

There has been far worse stories out there than DMoMM, it's no portal, but it's certainly a far cry better than the doom or the similarly unreal stories that most fps prey you don't pay close attention to.

But yeah, loved this game. The movement is so physical, you can really feel your character swing around. I kinda wished that there was a slight autoguide on sword lunges but stabbing people in the back just never gets old.

It's a real shame it didn't do a lot better. I'd love to see a sequel, and it's great to see a developer that constantly wants to throw out new ideas with each successive game.

Rook on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    Thats retarded. I think you meant "sometimes devs dont make a game that runs worth shit on the designated platform". Shitty coding or lack of resources or time in the development process , should not be consumers problem. When I buy food, I dont expect it to be rotten.

Welcome to PC gaming. You must be new to it.

I have several old games I couldn't run on various computers due to lack of conventional memory. I still have no idea what that meant. Not to mention sometimes, especially with store bought PCs, there are more basic problems with the PC or its various cards and parts.

Its a hobby. If you don't want issues getting games to run properly, don't play PC games.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aistan wrote: »
    I lucked out and didn't hit a single glitch/performance issue when playing the single player unpatched at launch, it was also one of my favorite releases of last year, the average to poor reviews baffled me.

People don't like fun games. The concept of a first person action game where you have fun things to do, rather than mindlessly running around shooting with generic guns was too much for most people to handle.

Or the "Sir Kicksalot in the land of spiked walls" argument. That never made sense to me, since in order for that to be true you basically have to go into the game with the intent to cheese your way through it.

The exact quote is "The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks"

It's a combination of the kick-to-spikes being way overpowered (pretty much an instant kill) and the fact that there's these spiked walls EVERY-FUCKING-WHERE. Dungeon? Check. Ruins? Check. Crypt? Check. Town Square? Check. Homes? Check. Uninhabited cave? Check. It's to ridiculous levels.

EDIT: I still had a lot of fun with the game; but despite the vaunted creativity behind the "tons of ways to kill your enemy" they sure weren't creative in presenting a lot of those opportunities.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2007
    The spike racks were useful because they meant you never had to fight those stupid demons.

Tube on
    edited December 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »

I WANT TO PLAY!

My friend was new to steam, and bought orange box, put disc in to install, and pretty much repeated that verbatim. Just had to explain that its just downloading all the updated files from scratch.

...Downloading the updated files? From scratch?

Couldn't they, you know, have a patch system instead of: "We changed TWO things in this 100 meg file. You have to redownload the file."

Other than having to wait two hours to download a quarter of the game, and then dealing with a 5-6 minute first boot time, I'm having a bunch of fun. Freeze has a permanent place in my belt, for causing people to fall flat on their face. Which then means I stab them.

MechMantis on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why was there no option to invert the camera in the 360 demo?

ugh.

chamberlain on
    edited December 2007
    The spike racks were useful because they meant you never had to fight those stupid demons.

So true. The ghoul-things got to me.

"Oh, so you've liked the duelling so far? Tough. I don't use weapons, I'm basically a Fast Zombie that escaped from the HL series and got myself a makeover and a shit-ton of health. If you thought the spiders were bad, you're in for a world of- WTF SPIKEY WALL?!"

And I touched upon this earlier, but if there was ever a sequel, I'd demand more unique encounters. I was surprised at the shortage of sword-wielding boss-types.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

So true. The ghoul-things got to me.

"Oh, so you've liked the duelling so far? Tough. I don't use weapons, I'm basically a Fast Zombie that escaped from the HL series and got myself a makeover and a shit-ton of health. If you thought the spiders were bad, you're in for a world of- WTF SPIKEY WALL?!"

And I touched upon this earlier, but if there was ever a sequel, I'd demand more unique encounters. I was surprised at the shortage of sword-wielding boss-types.

Fighting the orc leader was rad.

tofu on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TIME TO MEET YOUR DRAGON

tyrannus on
    edited December 2007
    Ghouls are weaklings.

Suck Sword of the Dragonclaw, bitches.

EDIT: However, that Worm sequence can kindly go fuck itself. That was cruel. I finally said "Screw it" and God-moded through it. I was tired of "Load game, SPRI-dead. Load game, SPRIN-dead. Load game..."

MechMantis on
    edited December 2007
    Oh the GHOULS. I was wondering what demons you were going on about tube.

When I played mage I fireballed them to death. It took a few fireballs, but they would always be knocked down and stunned, so I'd just do it again. Hey, ghoul, you seem tough? FIREBALL. Not so tough now eh? Oh getting up are you? FIREBALL. Wants some more? Eh? Yeah your a real tough ghoul. FIREBALL.
    etc

Morninglord on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This thread has inspired me to install and play this, even though I have unopened copies of Bioshock, The Witcher, Gears of War PC, Lost Planet PC, Jade Empire PC, Sam and Max, and some other stuff sitting on my floor.

Edit: Install the single player from the disc to a non-steam directory, and then go into the directory and there's a tool to move the game files over to steam.

Double Edit: Now if only I could get my copies of Deus Ex, Vampire Bloodlines, Psychonauts, Jade Empire, and Indigo Prophecy (is it even up there? It should be) registered with steam somehow.

HadjiQuest on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This was such a good game. Had the ending been better and the story just slightly more inspired, it'd easily be in my top 10.

The combat was just so fun.

Throwing barrels, setting orcs on fire, kicking people, stabbing and shooting.

Good times

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited January 2008
    I want a director's cut where every enemy in the game is an orc

Tube on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Transferring the DVD-Rom version onto steam with the provided tool kind of blows.

For the last hour or two, I've been patching. Not even patching, so much as downloading a third of the game that was thrown out when steam copied the files over.

HadjiQuest on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want a director's cut where every enemy in the game is an orc

Yeah, the other enemies aren't quite as fun, though only the ghouls are truly unfun. The goblins quite fun to fight as well.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The combat was a lot of fun, but the magic fucking sucked. I'd love to see a mod address that. ;-)

It's too bad, too, because the typical "mage weapon" (staff) was probably the most flashy weapon to crush orc skull with.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've decided to go through the game again as a stealth character but so far it kinda sucks. Am I just doing it wrong or is hiding broken?

tofu on