As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    I've decided to go through the game again as a stealth character but so far it kinda sucks. Am I just doing it wrong or is hiding broken?

Its broken in that its completely overpowered, yes.

I found it great fun none the less. I play sneaky nearly every time.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've decided to go through the game again as a stealth character but so far it kinda sucks. Am I just doing it wrong or is hiding broken?

Stealth is broken until you max it out... before then, it's rather useless.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been playing for 4 hours, and I'm about half way.

Started with mage, but then realized how horribly underpowered the magic is. Then I went for melee, but kept getting my ass kicked. Now I'm trying to blend stealth and melee.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember playing both the single player and multiplayer betas of this game and liking them both, but my PC at the time could hardly play it, and then it got bad reviews, so I never got it even though the concept looked awesome. I think this thread is enough convincing for me to shell out the $20.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    This game got me to try out Arx Fatalis, another game from the same developer. It's pretty cool in spite of its somewhat dated-ness. Also, it has a few graphics glitches on my machine.

Still, it is neat to see where the developer came from before Dark Messiah.

The 360 demo didn't appear washed out to me, though I had to tweak the brightness to fit my monitor. I also felt the combat was just as visceral and fun as the PC version, especially with the addition of rumble.

if you liked Arx Fatalis even though it's dated, then you must dig up Ultima Underworld II, the game Arx was created in homage to. It is and will forever be my favorite game ever, and it is my life's mission to convince more people to check it out.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    This game got me to try out Arx Fatalis, another game from the same developer. It's pretty cool in spite of its somewhat dated-ness. Also, it has a few graphics glitches on my machine.

Still, it is neat to see where the developer came from before Dark Messiah.

The 360 demo didn't appear washed out to me, though I had to tweak the brightness to fit my monitor. I also felt the combat was just as visceral and fun as the PC version, especially with the addition of rumble.

if you liked Arx Fatalis even though it's dated, then you must dig up Ultima Underworld II, the game Arx was created in homage to. It is and will forever be my favorite game ever, and it is my life's mission to convince more people to check it out.

I thought Ultima Underworld I was better than II; but yeah, they're both fuck-awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Chapter 5 was long. As long as two or three of the chapters before it combined.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To whoever said magic is underpowered, think again. Fireball is extremely awesome, as is that charm spell. Just wait until you get to mana regeneration, it allow you to spam all the spell you want.

notagame on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are the rest of the chapters as long as chapter 5 was? I was kind of bored by the end. Actually, I'm still pretty pissed by the fact that
    I'm still in the temple for that damn spider-skull-thing

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    notagame wrote: »
    To whoever said magic is underpowered, think again. Fireball is extremely awesome, as is that charm spell. Just wait until you get to mana regeneration, it allow you to spam all the spell you want.

Yeah seriously. I had no problems starting with priest and then classing into the offensive spells when I ran out of priestly skills.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want a director's cut where every enemy in the game is an orc

Yeah, the other enemies aren't quite as fun, though only the ghouls are truly unfun. The goblins quite fun to fight as well.
    I liked the Blackguards myself but the Orcs are strong contenders for the "Most fun to kill" award as well.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The combat was a lot of fun, but the magic fucking sucked. I'd love to see a mod address that. ;-)

It's too bad, too, because the typical "mage weapon" (staff) was probably one of the best weapons in the game for fighting multiple people at once when you got some of the better staffs and learnt how to use it properly.

My mage spent whatever time he wasn't flinging fireballs and freezing people kicking ass with a staff. You can knock em down quickly with the right combination of blows. Just have to learn the timing of its swings.

The mage spells are great, and once you get mana regeneration the last few levels are basically you flinging more spells than a max level sorceror in dnd.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm up to chapter 9, and I keep getting raped by a ghoul army.

Suggestions?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Suggestions?

Kill them.

Did you get the ultimate sword of kicking undead ass (does double damage to undead?) otherwise at some point during chapter nine you should pick up some good anti-undead weapons.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Suggestions?

Kill them.

Did you get the ultimate sword of kicking undead ass (does double damage to undead?) otherwise at some point during chapter nine you should pick up some good anti-undead weapons.

But if I
    keep xana I can't use any of that. Not that I kept her on this playthrough.

Anywho, I beat it with the good ending and the other character.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    this game was so fuckawesome, i played it at pax one year and decided on the spot to buy it.

i remember it was very bugged if you ran the game at the highest texture setting, but i think they fixed that.

god the multiplayer ruled so hard if you got on a server where there was no time limit. get your guy to max lvl mage and fire off that top lightning spell.... oh god. if you have a decent gaming rig that spell looked amazing, and it made the bfg from quake2 look like a nerf gun. course the max fire spell looked amazing too.... god i need to reinstall this game when i get home from work.

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I have a question about this game, and figured it'd be better to resurrect this thread than to create a whole new one. I just recently downloaded this game off steam for $10, and decided it was about time I gave it a shot.

So after downloading, and all the anticipation of playing the game, I launch it, only to get an error saying mm.exe has stopped working, and that windows will be closing it. I've tried it with the single and multiplayer versions, as well as deleted the game and redownloaded it with the same results.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? btw, I am running Vista, if that makes any difference, and, for reasons I cannot explain, am unable to right-click a game icon without it causing Windows Explorer to crash, so running the game in compatibility mode is not an option.

Dourin on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how to fix this? btw, I am running Vista, if that makes any difference, and, for reasons I cannot explain, am unable to right-click a game icon without it causing Windows Explorer to crash, so running the game in compatibility mode is not an option.
    ...you might want to fix that.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    ...you might want to fix that.

Yeah, I'd love to, but have no idea what's going on there. I thought maybe it was a vista issue, but my roomate is having the same problem, started around the same time, and he's running XP. We've both run numerous virus scans, and not turned up anything, so we don't think its virus related, but cannot seem to find another possible cause/solution.

Dourin on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding the right clicking problem: It might be a shell extension problem. Some poorly coded third party menu extra might be responsible for the crashes. Especially some copy protection mechanism create invisible entries in the normal context menu for some mysterious reasons (I am looking at you secu-rom). Normally you have to look through the registry in order to identify which is the culprit and disable it. But there is a program (and instructions to it) which can help in such case: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

So, personally I really like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Most of the game's crash and memory leak problems can be fixed by allowing Vista (32 bit) to create/use a 3GB userspace. This also fixes most of Stalker's crashes as well.

What I don't like about DMoMaM is that it simply runs like ass on older computers, even if you disable HDR and avoid AA. If you turn texture detail way down it also looks like ass and still doesn't gain much performance - no surprise here. On my current computer (4GB RAM, 8800 GTX and mid range Core 2 duo) it runs without any hitches. It seems that if you cross some kind of HW barrier the game "behaves". - Another thing also annoyed me to no end - if your framerate drops, even if the game remains playable the hit detection and frame rendering sometimes de-syncs, which means you get hit even if the monster didn't finish its animation - which is really frustrating.

To the defend of the Sir Kicksalot argument, I must say that the level designer really went out of their way to include spikes in nearly every level (at least early on). Some other methods to dispose the enemies through environmental means would have been nice. Thankfully the kick doesn't appear to be that powerful on harder difficulties.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is awesome when fighting humanoid NPCs. When they deviated from that, the game got pretty meh to me.

I remember sinking a ton of time into just the demo.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved this game all the way up to it's god-fucking-awful ending.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    defrag wrote: »

Silpheed on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    defrag wrote: »
    You mean I have to stab at this giant undead dragon with these tiny daggers? And that kills him? :|

Dumb ending to be sure. Great gameplay. Bought it a while back at a discount off of Steam, never ran into any issues aside from one stuck-in-a-wall-due-to-rope-bow glitch. Also no one likes spiders. Fuck that shit.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just re-installed off of Steam due to thread bumpage. We'll see if it still holds up. I'm sure it will be very, very pretty. (Edit just to say that I mean it, I remember this game being good looking, and now I have a significantly better video card, so hopefully it will get better)

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know much about Might and Magic or Dark Messiah, but I think it was a poor move to throw over a decade of lore out the window. Doesn't seem at all worth it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't know much about Might and Magic or Dark Messiah, but I think it was a poor move to throw over a decade of lore out the window. Doesn't seem at all worth it.
    .....................what?

JAEF on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm still hesitant to finish dark messiah. I like the combat crazyness of it, I don't like the save states, The lack of item storage and other pretty serious flaws in it. The jumping on ropes pissed me off greatly too. Hearing that the ending sucked is disheartening. Although I would say toppling that gigantic beast for extra skill points was neat.

Hmm, I may reload this game once again.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dammit, people, stop making me want to play this again. I want go through it as a pure mage, since I never got around to it. I managed a straight warrior once, but somehow every other time I ended up rolling assassin or some variation thereof.

Dagger Throw: great move or the greatest move? Freeze is also made of brilliance and hilarity.

Monger on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The might and magic series doesn't have "lore". They completely start over with a new setting every few games.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The might and magic series doesn't have "lore". They completely start over with a new setting every few games.

HEY! The first 5 Might and Magic games, along with the first Heroes game somewhat, were all part of the same storyline, I'll have you know!!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Dammit, people, stop making me want to play this again. I want go through it as a pure mage, since I never got around to it. I managed a straight warrior once, but somehow every other time I ended up rolling assassin or some variation thereof.

Dagger Throw: great move or the greatest move? Freeze is also made of brilliance and hilarity.

The freeze is the greatest move...sorry. Just putting a patch of ice near the cliff of a mountain is the very recipe of awesome

Dixon on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This had great gameplay. Spiders and those flying mouths were pretty shitty enemies, but the humaniods made up for it. All in all one of the better games that nobody played.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok, so my right-clicking problem just kind of fixed itself today, but I'm still having the "mm.exe has stopped working" error pop up everytime I try to run the game. I've tried reinstalling it, running as administrator, running in XP SP2 compatibility mode, and none of this has worked. I've tried looking over the DMoMaM forums, but there doesn't seem to be an appropriate fix for this issues, although I've seen that numerous other people have run into the same error.

Anyone have any suggestions? Reading you all talk about playing it is near killing me, here.

Dourin on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Alright so this thread popping up is making me play this again, on both platforms. I played a bit of the 360 version when it first came out, and then just sort of got sidetracked by other games. I like the new content they added, but I kind of also wish it had been released for the PC version as a download or something as well.

In the 360 version, barrels and some other breakables don't have their "broken" state models in the game. So when you break a barrel, it just makes a noise then disappears. This is no good! Still, I like the improved lighting and depth of field over the PC version.

Dourin, I have that error message, but only after I quit the game. Sorry I can't be of more help.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this game was great (like others said, the ending was very weak though)

It's a shame it wasn't that well received

Will there be a sequel?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Probably not, but the same developer is making The Crossing, which, in all likelyhood, should be a much better game. I love Dark Messiah despite its faults, but the last thing I want is a direct sequel to a game with such a deplorably wretched story/cast/license. Better they make their own thing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, I didn't know these guys were doing The Crossing. I hope that turns out well!

I don't know if I'd like a Dark Messiah sequel, but I would like to see them do another fantasy themed game sometime.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The ending perhaps wasn't the greatest, but what other game can you say gives you the ability to sneak kill the last boss? 'cuz thats what I did. I tore that Mofo's neck a new one. I thought so highly of myself after that.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Monger wrote: »

I opted to play "evil" in my last run, so that may have limited my skill point count, but I almost had every spell at my disposal. Of course, I maxed the entire mana subtree under the Misc. tab, which helps a lot. I can't remember if it was a skill or a ring I had equipped, but the increased mana recharge is about the best thing ever. After I had that, I think I only ran out of mana once or twice by abusing the inferno spell.

Oh, and that staff you pick up on the docks just as you're leaving town? Best thing to have when you're fighting a magic user (or a pao kai).

Masonite on