As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

• Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    shyguy wrote: »
    I will say that it turns out that I really don't like the Classic Controller for fighting games. At all. That Hori stick is looking mighty tempting now.
    Fuck. I'll say.

My left thumb has been permanently deformed from about 20,000 hours of SFII on the SNES but shit.

Before I kinda casually wanted a Hori stick but now I need one.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I continue to get more and more into this game.

It's been a long time since I've really played an old school fighter like this - the kind where dropping your defenses for one second will open you up to a 3-hit combo that saps 3/4 of your life. The absence of so many mechanics that I take for granted in modern fighting games (a parrying system of some sort, tech hits, multiple super bars, etc.) means that this game is really, really unforgiving.

I'm having a great time with it.

My hand kills, though. I think I might wind up purchasing the Hori stick soon. Plus, I can use that as an excuse to download Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

shyguy on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oh no you fools had to mention Last Blade. Now I'm going to be waiting forever for that sucker to hit the VC. Definitely my favorite SNK fighter.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HOLY FUCK STARTROPICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully they'll also release Zoda's Revenge! Those two games are BY FAR my favorite games on the NES, and will also be my favorite games on the Wii. I have been dying to spend money on Startropics!!!
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wow, Startropics. Great game that got almost completely ignored since it came out so late. Reminds me, I never did play its sequel, Startropics II, which was one of the last NES games released.

I'm in the minority, but I preferred Zoda's Revenge (Startropics II), it was just as if not more hilarious, and the dungeons were much much better.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since it's kinda a midweek VC borefest around here, I'd thought I'd liven it up with a little wishlist/poll thing.

What would you pay, and why?

Phantasy Star - 500 points (800 if it has well emulated Japanese music)
    All other Master System titles-400 points (Just to see TSR complain that MS is a superior system with better titles.
    Fire Emblem 1-6 -1000 points for the two nes games, 2000 points for the SNES games, 1200 for FE 6
    Tactics Ogre- 1400 points (200 extra SE tax, 200 for Atlus and their shitty PSX translation)
    All other NA released Square Enix SNES titles- 1000 points (SE can make more on portable tax)
    Secret of Mana 2- 3000 points, no brainer.
    Bahamut Lagoon- 1500 500 for a translation on this forgotten classic, 200 for the tax.
    Mother- 600 points considering the translation is already done and good enough.
    Earthbound - 800 points, I'd pay 2000 for it right this second though.
    Snatcher - 1000 points, though I'd go up to 1500 points for a less censored version
    Kolibiri - 900 points for arguably the finest 32x hummingbird shooter.
    Either Lunar game, 900-1200 points
    Lightgun games 500 for any NES game, 800 for any SNES game, 2000 for HotD1 or Virtua Cop. Wii should be able to handle emulating the arcade versions, but I'm not even sure if Sega still has the code for HotD...
    Goldeneye - 1200 points, 1500-2000 if it was updated for a smooth framerate and online play. Add 1000 points for Perfect Dark.
    Megaman 2- 500 points. I'd easily pay this even owning many, many, many different versions of this title. Never having to deal with the disk to that shitty albiet worth it port collection. No looping music, no bad color palette, progressive scan, selectable difficulty, and the buttons in the right order are worth 5 big ones to me.

I'd also pay up to 3000 points for that rumored No Mercy Wiiware title with the updated roster. I put this last because this is much closer to wishful thinking than the majority of those. I'd also pay 800 or so points for downloadable Sam and Max episodes or anything equivalent, but that's going to take an act of god on Nintendo's part to open up the storage.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Space Station Silicon Valley - 1500 points (just because I've never had the chance to play this back in the day, and it's supposedly really good)
    Blastcorps - 1500 points (same, only that we will probably never see this due to Microsoft's acquisition of Rare)
    Tactic Ogre 64 - 1200 points (I couldn't really get into the SNES game, but nonetheless I'd really like to give it a try)
    Super Mario RPG - 1500 points (because I live in Europe :P)
    Chrono Trigger - 1500 points (ditto)
    Final Fantasy 6 - 1000 points (I'm not really into the Final Fantasy games, but this one seems to be the highpoint of the series. Won't happen, so I probably better settle for the GBA version eh?)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played a bit of Star Tropics last night.

I forgot about the unforseeable traps they have in there. In the first "dungeon" area I opened a secret passage. When I went in, the entire room was full of water and bones, and I died instantly. Kind of reminded me of that impossibly/hilariously hard Japanese flash game someone on this forum has linked before.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Vectorman and Vectorman 2 cannot arrive on the VC fast enough.

It's really a shame that we won't be seeing any Rare N64 games. That essentially cuts the system's worthwhile library in half, and I'd love to have Blast Corps, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemeni, and Banjo Kazooie.

And speaking of the N64, we need Body Harvest. And Mischief Makers.

I'd pick up the Genesis Mortal Kombat and the SNES Mortal Kombat 2. I really, really want the N64 Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Not sure how feasible it is, but I'd totally pick up both Genesis X-Men games.

I fully expect both Rocket Knight Adventures games to show up, and the sooner the better. As far as Konami is concerned, I'd like Castlevania: Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps. as well.

As I mentioned, I can't wait for further King of Fighters games, the entire Samurai Showdown series, Last Blade, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves. I'll buy World Heroes 2 Jet or Perfect and Fighters History/Fighters History Dynamite if they ever really scrape the bottom of the Neo Geo barrel. If they put the Metal Slug games on there once Anthology goes out of print, I'll probably buy them for Classic Controller support.

And that's just for the systems already available. If Sega CD, handheld, or arcade games made their way onto the VC I'd probably go broke.

shyguy on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

I forgot about the unforseeable traps they have in there. In the first "dungeon" area I opened a secret passage. When I went in, the entire room was full of water and bones, and I died instantly. Kind of reminded me of that impossibly/hilariously hard Japanese flash game someone on this forum has linked before.

I love that trap. First you come across a not well hidden secret room. Said room has medicine and an easily discovered secret passage. The passage leads to a second room that's completely identical, with another medicine and another secret passage in the exact same spot. Pretty much everyone takes that passage, expecting yet another identical room with medicine. Instead, they get death. Consider it an object lesson about the perils of greed.

Cantide on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How's Dynamite Headdy? Looks very pretty, and interesting premise. Considering grabbing that and Ristar before I head back to no wireless internet for 4 months.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cantide wrote: »

I love that trap. First you come across a not well hidden secret room. Said room has medicine and an easily discovered secret passage. The passage leads to a second room that's completely identical, with another medicine and another secret passage in the exact same spot. Pretty much everyone takes that passage, expecting yet another identical room with medicine. Instead, they get death. Consider it an object lesson about the perils of greed.
    Man, that trap so got me. I'm to the broken submarine part. I hate the jumpy monkeys. Hate 'em.

I would potentially pay up to 30 bucks for translated versions of some of those 16bit era rpgs that never hit the states. Romancing Saga 3 in particular. Aint gonna happen I'm sure. I'd pay like 12 for B. Lagoon, 15 for Live a Live or whatever it was called. Unsure how much I'd pay for SD3, it got kind of dull for me after a point even though it was sooo pretty. I swear Square just buy the dumb fan translations. They're already coded as patches. Arg.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hm, yeah, I'd kill for Garou and Last Blade to make it on the VC.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Question, which is better:

KOF94 or Fatal Fury 1?

I'm leaning towards KOF94...

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Are either of those Dream Fights?

Then you already know your answer.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    KOF'94 is the first KOF... KOF is, by definition, a "dream fight" of characters from many of SNK's franchises, including Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, etc.

I'm leaning towards KOF simply because I love KOF. But not if Fatal Fury is the overall better game.

Meh. I think I'll get KOF just because. If I get another KOF it'll be probably 96 or 98, once those hit, which will probably be an eternity from now.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    True enough.

I've played many a KoF game, and I don't really get the appeal. It is as the kids say, not for me.

I've never played Samurai Showdown however, so I'll give that a go when it comes out.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    KoF '94. By far.

The first Fatal Fury really is nigh-unplayable. It has every single one of KoF '94's flaws, plus more, it's missing several of KoF's virtues (worse graphics, animation, music, and characters), and it's about a thousand times clunkier.

I don't think the Fatal Fury series is really worth checking out until Fatal Fury Special.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That secret room in Startropics, man. I remember as a child the first time I discovered that. Blew me away. I'm really glad so many people here have fond memories of that game as well. I've played it so many times that not a single trap or secret slips me up, it's just about the space chapters as far as actual difficulty for me.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the input. I've played a couple of the Real Bout Fatal Furies, and the last FF I played before those was Special. But that was ages ago and I barely remember it. RB FF played pretty awesome, that I played in the arcades about 5 years ago.. don't remember much though.

Anyway, I'm sold on KOF94. I'll be getting into that tomorrow. Should tide me over until Super SFII, which I now expect to drop sometime soon. *crosses fingers*

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Real Bout Fatal Furies are pretty awesome, although they wind up introducing a boatload of really shitty new characters. I should qualify that by saying that outside of a handful of characters (Terry Bogard, Mai, Joe, Billy Kane), I think the Fatal Fury series has really bad character design.

It does crack me up that old SNK characters like Terry and Yuri actually dress more or less like modern hipsters do. They wouldn't look out of place walking down the street in my neighborhood in NYC.

shyguy on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. I've played a couple of the Real Bout Fatal Furies, and the last FF I played before those was Special. But that was ages ago and I barely remember it. RB FF played pretty awesome, that I played in the arcades about 5 years ago.. don't remember much though.

Anyway, I'm sold on KOF94. I'll be getting into that tomorrow. Should tide me over until Super SFII, which I now expect to drop sometime soon. *crosses fingers*

No, really, do not bother with FF 1. It's atrocious. I'd argue Art of Fighting 1 is better, and I really fucking hate AoF 1.

Some people seem to like Fatal Fury Special. I guess it's like the SNK equivalent to SF 2, but I personally don't think FF gets good until 3. It has AWESOME dialogue, some of the best fighting game backgrounds ever (with interaction!), great music, first appearance of Yamazaki (!!), and the gameplay is pretty fun. The Real Bouts are all good; definitely the best Fatal Furies before Mark of the Wolves.

But no, don't bother with any of their first titles that aren't Samurai Shodown. I mean, you can make a case for KoF '94 simply because it's KoF, and it at least has a pretty large roster going for it. But getting either Fatal Fury 1 or Art of Fighting 1 is akin to downloading diarrhea.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How do they handle the "hidden message" part on the sub, that you get the code from running water over your uncles letter?

I still remember the code

startropics is my most favorite game ever from the NES (that and twin cobra, really good ss-shooter), I remember the music was so amazing too. When you sink the pirate ship in your way, to the ending, just very awesome music.
    do deedo do DUN DUN, DUN DUN

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    How do they handle the "hidden message" part on the sub, that you get the code from running water over your uncles letter?

startropics is my most favorite game ever from the NES (that and twin cobra, really good ss-shooter), I remember the music was so amazing too. When you sink the pirate ship in your way, to the ending, just very awesome music.

When you look at the operations manual, there's a page that has a reproduction of the letter on it. Below it there's an icon showing a bucket of water and the letter with an arrow pointing at the bucket. You click on the icon, it dunks the letter in, and the code appears.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Some people seem to like Fatal Fury Special. I guess it's like the SNK equivalent to SF 2, but I personally don't think FF gets good until 3. It has AWESOME dialogue, some of the best fighting game backgrounds ever (with interaction!), great music, first appearance of Yamazaki (!!), and the gameplay is pretty fun. The Real Bouts are all good; definitely the best Fatal Furies before Mark of the Wolves.

I like Fatal Fury 3, too. I got the general impression that most fans don't care for it, though. I'm not sure if that's true. It's also the first appearance of Blue Mary, who I'm a fan of.

shyguy on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

When you look at the operations manual, there's a page that has a reproduction of the letter on it. Below it there's an icon showing a bucket of water and the letter with an arrow pointing at the bucket. You click on the icon, it dunks the letter in, and the code appears.

Thats pretty badass

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How's Dynamite Headdy? Looks very pretty, and interesting premise. Considering grabbing that and Ristar before I head back to no wireless internet for 4 months.

The two of them are arguably the best platformers on the VC.
    Yes, I mean that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    MC Mystery wrote: »
    I'm in the minority, but I preferred Zoda's Revenge (Startropics II), it was just as if not more hilarious, and the dungeons were much much better.

No, I prefer the sequel as well, as it added a lot of play mechanics that really improved the game (8-way control, a main weapon that wasn't based on your HP (they kept the original weapon style as a secondary), multi-level rooms...)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yeah, that one got me too.

I'm actually pretty impressed how they handled the letter, though.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd definitely like to play Zoda's Revenge one day. And hopefully I'll have beaten Star Tropics by the time it comes out on the VC.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd definitely like to play Zoda's Revenge one day. And hopefully I'll have beaten Star Tropics by the time it comes out on the VC.

Startropics back in the day took me two years to beat (not nonstop play obviously), but nowadays can be completed in about 2 or 3 hours tops.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Downloaded KOF94.

What I did not know prior to downloading it was that the button config was going to be so strange.

Instead of having Strong Punch and Weak Punch on X and Y, and Strong Kick/Weak Kick on A and B... KOF94's control config has Strong Punch on Y and Weak Punch on B, and Strong Kick on X and Weak Kick on A... and plus the Manual displays the config inaccurately too, i'm pretty sure.

Urg.

I'm so heavily trained with my combos on the other config that it really screws me up. Same with dodging, which is now A+B instead of Y+B.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What, is it the arcade version they put on there? I'm pretty sure you can customize the controls on the home MVS version. Do you have unlimited credits as well?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What, is it the arcade version they put on there? I'm pretty sure you can customize the controls on the home MVS version. Do you have unlimited credits as well?
    There's a point where you can choose 'mvs'. I think it's on the difficulty selection screen? Dunno what happens when you select it.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mashalot wrote: »
    There's a point where you can choose 'mvs'. I think it's on the difficulty selection screen? Dunno what happens when you select it.

Nothing, as far as I can tell. I've selected it and it acts just like another difficulty level. I haven't found out how to set credits to unlimited (the game gives you four) or change the button config (which I agree is wonky) if there is a way.

I think I'm going to pick up the Hori stick this weekend. Trying to dodge or build up my power meter on the Classic Controller in the heat of battle is almost impossible for me.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gruur, I'm confusing the acronyms. MVS is the arcade version (and MVS on the difficulty level screen indicates that it's the default setting), AES is the home console. But since there's an option menu, and it gives you 4 credits, it's the AES version. 4 credits is standard, and I don't think you can change it (which is very silly in KoF '94, since it's practically impossible to complete on 4 credits :P). I guess some of the early games didn't have customizable controls. That's a shame. I was thinking of buying it to complete a KoF collection, but not if the controls are all switched around.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    shyguy wrote: »
    Mashalot wrote: »

Nothing, as far as I can tell. I've selected it and it acts just like another difficulty level. I haven't found out how to set credits to unlimited (the game gives you four) or change the button config (which I agree is wonky) if there is a way.

I think I'm going to pick up the Hori stick this weekend. Trying to dodge or build up my power meter on the Classic Controller in the heat of battle is almost impossible for me.
    I was able to get to Rugal on normal... then, um, trashed.

I had thought the hori stick was configurable but it's not, bummer. Shit, y'know, I may have to do my own controller mod. That's a hell of a lot of switches but damn. Infuriating that custom controls aren't supported by the VC.

They need that smash brothers guy heading work on the wii interface, shit.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Yes, I mean that.

Be warned, though, that Headdy ends up being extremely hard. It took me forever to beat the last few levels, and it eventually took the infinite lives trick. The lack of saves or passwords and almost no continue means a lot of starting over at level 1.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yes, I mean that.

Be warned, though, that Headdy ends up being extremely hard. It took me forever to beat the last few levels, and it eventually took the infinite lives trick. The lack of saves or passwords and almost no continue means a lot of starting over at level 1.

There is a level select code in the US/PAL versions, though.

The Western versions are considerably harder than the Japanese one.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yurop gets Alien Storm and Startropics.

Yawn.

Hopefully the US will get Harvest Moon on Monday.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yes, I mean that.

Wow. Took your word for it and got Headdy. Fan-freaking-tastic. Back in the day my genesis lovin' friends used to tell me it sucked compared to sonic. Fools.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hopefully not off-topic:
    Is the vc version of starfox64 different? It feels like the npcs die too quickly :/ When Peppy died faster than usual I figured I was just doing poorly. Later, when I fought Pigma and co., he died after 2 single, green laser shots! Am I going mad?!

rabblerouser on
This discussion has been closed.