As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The two threads should be merged into one.

Why not? Even Nintendo merges the two subjects every week in the Wii-kly update.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh god, I learned something new
    "Something new" + "Virtual Console" = contradictio in terminis :P

Opium on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah? Oh yeah?
    I am all in support for large numbers of threads. Why don't you guys go argue this out in a new thread, in fact. I am trying to find out what games came out today and all I am receiving is argument.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Strong Bad Wii Ware, Star Parodier and Break In TG-16 VC.

Oh god, let me split that in two and put it into different threads!

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I am trying to find out what games came out today
    Sign up for Nintendo's weekly releases newsletter. This really isn't brain surgery, come on.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll show YOU brain surgery!

WiiWare

* Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen--Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Charming. Suave. Awesome. These are the words Strong Bad would use to describe himself. In a world gone mad, only one man can be trusted to save the day. A man with an attitude. A man called Strong Bad. As the star of the Homestar Runner Web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering e-mails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years now. And he's branched out to star in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, a monthly five-episode series. In Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner, Strong Bad's plans to beat the snot out of Homestar backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal by any means possible. But wait, there's more: Teen Girl Squad comics, achievements, funny costumes and arcade games. You can even send pictures and messages to Wii Friends using Strong Bad's computer. So how about it? Can you handle Strong Bad's style?

Virtual Console

* Break In (TurboGrafx16, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone--Tobacco Reference, 700 Wii Points): Gather up to four players for an authentic game of pool right in your own home. Choose from six billiards games including 9-Ball, Rotation and Carom (a game played without pockets). Use Simulation mode to calculate the perfect shot, or select Action mode and check out what went wrong with your missed shots. With all that to choose from, Break In gives players--from beginners to experts--all the elements necessary to enjoy a great game of pool. But it doesn't stop there. Select Technique to practice your angles or even go for a trick shot. Get some help from the CPU and hone your skills. With Break In, you'll be a pro in no time.

* Star Parodier (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone--Mild Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): Star Parodier is the hilarious spoof of the classic Hudson shooter Star Soldier. In this parody, there are three playable ships for players to choose from: the ingratiating PAROCEASER, the hot-headed BOMBERMAN, and the ever-so-introverted PC-ENGINE. Players control one of these unique and original ships and set off to blast their way through eight stages on the planet PAROSON. The comical characters take the color and flavor of the Soldier series to the next level and are guaranteed to leave players mesmerized. In addition to the normal game mode, there are also the familiar two-minute and five-minute attack modes, making Star Parodier the complete package that is sure to have players coming back for more.

Lookit me I'm posting ALL the games.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Lookit me I'm posting ALL the games.

Unclean! Kill the filthy heretic!

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Don't we have a weekly game release thread as well? Just put it all in there, jesus.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The VC thread is only really here because it predates WiiWare

I don't see much reason to keep it split

Elendil on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think there should be a new VC thread every week.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't mind either way.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Blueknight78cBlueknight78c Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The reason I try keep this thread afloat is because I'd rather read discussion just pertaining to the VC because I'm genearlly not interested in WiiWare. Honestly, why do people come in here asking about WiiWare anyways. It's like going into a sports car thread and asking why nobody's talking about the new Jeep: "Because one has an engine and four wheels and the other engine and four wheels. Combining them would be like comparing apples to apples." Is it honestly that hard to read a thread title?

Also,
    Arceus wrote: »
    That's what thread tools/subscribed threads is for.
    Exactly.

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This silly discussion is becoming surprisingly heated!

Does it really matter? Both the threads move pretty slowly, and usually sink off the first page on days that don't start with M.

I say combine them, but I likely won't be as angry as some people seem to be getting if I have to scroll past a couple of posts I don't care about. I scroll past pages I don't care about in some threads. It doesn't terribly inconvenience me.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think it would be reasonable to start a new VC thread whenever a big release comes out.

So, this one should last us at least until next year.

Zek on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Is the VC version of Ocarina of Time the same one as on the GameCube collector's edition?

Opium on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Is the VC version of Ocarina of Time the same one as on the GameCube collector's edition?

No. VC games don't have rumble for N64 games, which the GC version of OoT has. Also no Master Quest on VC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh I knew about rumble and obviously it's not Master Quest, I just meant in terms of resolution and graphics/sound and such. Cuz I heard the GC version looked better than the N64 one so I was wondering which one they put on the VC.

Opium on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Oh I knew about rumble and obviously it's not Master Quest, I just meant in terms of resolution and graphics/sound and such. Cuz I heard the GC version looked better than the N64 one so I was wondering which one they put on the VC.
    VC version is always the original. I think they might run it at a better resolution (on MK64, the karts look blurrier than they did on 64 but I think that's because the tracks are sharper by copmarison) but apart from that, it's as it was. To the point where framerate suffers where it did in the original games.

Seol on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The N64 games on the VC run at a crisp 480p, just like OOT on the Cube. This is almost a universal improvement. Like Seol mentioned with Mario Kart 64, some games that combine 2D sprites with 3D graphics suffer since the resolution increase doesn't improve the sprites at all.

Overall, OOT on VC is going to look better than OOT on N64, but I still recommend the Cube version for rumble and Master Quest. I was tempted to download it on my Wii, depsite having the OOT/MQ and CE discs for Gamecube, just for the novelty of it, but I couldn't justify buying the same fucking (awesome) game 4 times (I also have the original gold cart for N64).

Dirty on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    The N64 games on the VC run at a crisp 480p, just like OOT on the Cube. This is almost a universal improvement. Like Seol mentioned with Mario Kart 64, some games that combine 2D sprites with 3D graphics suffer since the resolution increase doesn't improve the sprites at all.

Overall, OOT on VC is going to look better than OOT on N64, but I still recommend the Cube version for rumble and Master Quest. I was tempted to download it on my Wii, depsite having the OOT/MQ and CE discs for Gamecube, just for the novelty of it, but I couldn't justify buying the same fucking (awesome) game 4 times (I also have the original gold cart for N64).
    There's arguments for both. On VC it's dead easy to obtain, you don't need to bother getting the discs out to play, you can play using the Classic (which isn't as good a controller in an ideal world, but it's fine and it's wireless which is nice). Cube version gives you Master Quest as well and rumble. I'd say just get whichever version's easier to get and don't worry about it.

Seol on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want me some Ys book... I tought it was supposed to be released already. It's the first VC release I'm excited about since.... a long time ago.

TBH considering the piss poor lineup we've been getting lately, I've come to the conclusion than Nintendo just dont give a fuck about VC.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got 700 Wii-Fun-Bux sitting in my account and that's pretty useless when you don't want any NES games....

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jean wrote: »
    I want me some Ys book... I tought it was supposed to be released already. It's the first VC release I'm excited about since.... a long time ago.

TBH considering the piss poor lineup we've been getting lately, I've come to the conclusion than Nintendo just dont give a fuck about VC.

Which is fucking stupid. I have a TON of friends that are really interested in the Wii ONLY for the VC. Why would they ignore such a great aspect of a console?

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »

Which is fucking stupid. I have a TON of friends that are really interested in the Wii ONLY for the VC. Why would they ignore such a great aspect of a console?

If they were ignoring it, there wouldn't be any releases.

More likely Nintendo's trying to plan out for the future of the console, and they don't want to release everything in the first couple of years.

Though yeah, there have been a lot of bummer updates lately.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's an understatement :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If they were ignoring [the VC], there wouldn't be any releases.

More likely Nintendo's trying to plan out for the future of the console, and they don't want to release everything in the first couple of years.

Considering the average lifespan of a console is 5 years, and the updates are weekly, we're talking about 260 updates. Between the 7 consoles whose games are offered through the service, there's no reason they can't have at least 2 fuck-awesome/classic games per month. Yet I haven't felt compelled to buy Wii points for a VC release for over 1/2 a year. I know I'm not alone. Nintendo really dropped the ball on this.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bah. I've bought more VC games so far this year than all of 06 and 07.

Slowdown in classics my ass. We're just getting more of the esoteric ones.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Blueknight78cBlueknight78c Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Virtual Console Releases for 8-18-08

Mega Man (NES, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Join the blue bomber in his first-ever adventure as he battles the evil Dr. Wily and his robotic henchmen to restore peace to a troubled world. Mega Man is a super-robot created by the genius scientist Dr. Light. When Dr. Wily goes rogue with an army of six of his own devious robot masters, it's up to Mega Man to put a stop to his nefarious plot by traversing a series of stages rife with enemies, traps and perilous platform challenges. At the end of each stage, conquer one of the robot masters and claim his weapon as your own, using it to your advantage in subsequent fights.
    Mega_Man_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Neo Turf Masters (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 900 Wii Points): This is a golf game that was first released in 1996. The player picks one of six available golfers and competes on a number of golf courses around the world, including Japan (Fujiyama Oriental Golf Club), America (Grand Canyon Golf Course), Australia (Blue Lagoon Golf Course) and Germany (Baden Golf Course). The game features two modes of play. The first is Stroke Play, in which the player attempts to get the best score by playing all 18 holes. The second is Match Play, in which two players compete to see who can win more of the 18 holes. Grab a friend and get ready to hit the fairway.
    Neo%20Turf%20Masters%20(2).gif

Well, there goes 500 more points. 8-)

Blueknight78c on
    &%$#!
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck yes.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But by next week everyone will be complaining again that we haven't had anything cool for half a year.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Neo Turf Masters that game they were parodying in a Christmas episode of The Simpsons?

RockinX on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish SMS Sonic would turn up in the UK. Gargh.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm tempted to buy Mega Man just for the ability have a Save State...Since the original has no password system.

Of course, the VC release won't have the awesome boxart, though....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screw you Guts Man.

I'm not playing MM1 again.
    The ending is so awesome tho! I like how MM2 links to it.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Screw you Guts Man.

I'm not playing MM1 again.
    The ending is so awesome tho! I like how MM2 links to it.

I think so many people will play this and realize "WTF are these moving jumping puzzles?" I know i did, I went back and was all like "fuck this shit"

The coverart is so awesome still
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_(video_game)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh, it's cool and all, but yet another VC release that's already still in circulation in one form or another. In this case, the MM collection along with every other MM game, and the amazing remake that is Powered Up.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    I got the collection on Gamecube. So yeah, Mega Man 1 is available on my Wii and without cluttering my fridge.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think my fridge needs nuking. 'Specially before some more Mega Mans come out.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I got the collection on Gamecube. So yeah, Mega Man 1 is available on my Wii and without cluttering my fridge.

Say, does that anniversary collection come with any new save options for the NES games? Or are you stuck using the original password function?

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah it saves.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
This discussion has been closed.