As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ripping Software

TopiaTopia Registered User regular
I'm looking for some good quality ripping software, to convert to MP3's of course. I'd prefer if this is free, but no absolutely needed, and I really want to be able to rip up to 320kbps.

Thanks ahead of time if anyone can give me a few suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Topia on

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    iTunes can do mp3s in 320 kbps

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mastman wrote: »

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    CDex, been using it for quite some time. Tried some others, but I like this one best.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

What about Windows Media Player?

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd second recommendations for Cdex.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

What about Windows Media Player?

I believe WMP can do it, it's just that more people prefer iTunes to WMP

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah Windows Media Player will rip Mp3's at 320kps, and you probably already have it installed if you use Windows, or have iTunes if on a Mac.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    For CDA ripping, I recommend Exact Audio Copy. It's fairly simple to setup and affords you both top-notch quality as well as freedom to choose your encoder. If you want to stick with MP3's, grab the latest LAME binary and go at it. If you are going with 320kbps anyway, I'd recommend going with a lossless format as the bitrate won't be much higher and will leave you with a perfect source.

The Hydrogen Audio Wiki has some great and easy to use guides. You seem to be concerned with quality since you specifically mention 320kbps encoding, so I would avoid itunes and WMP.

theantipop on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anything that isn't Exact Audio Copy is pure chumpery.

GameHat on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CDex and iTunes are both good programs.

iTunes supports AAC, the official successor to MP3, and has an automatic cover art downloader, which is nice. (you have to login for it to work for some reason, though). Unfortunately, it has fairly limited options as far as codec settings are concerned. If you're just doing a vanilla CBR 320 MP3 rip it should be fine, you could use a drunk monkey to encode and it would still sound good at 320, but you are really just throwing bits at it. A good setting is 256 AAC with VBR checked. This will be virtually indistinguishable from the CD. VBR (variable bitrate) saves bits in simple parts of a song so those bits can be spent later ensuring complex parts sound good. You should always use VBR unless you really don't care about filesize. And if that is the case, iTunes also supports Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) which is a perfect copy of a CD, but takes up about half the space (the files are HUGE compared to MP3's though).

For basic MP3 encoding I personally use CDex, because it has a lot more MP3 options. I usually set a bitrate range of 112-320, and all the quality settings cranked all the way up. It'll take longer to encode, but skimping on encoding time is never a good idea. CDex also supports AAC (though I've never used it for that) and FLAC, another lossless codec like ALAC.

Also, if you are encoding in MP3, you should generally use Joint Stereo. The reasons are complicated, but in almost all cases Joint Stereo sounds better than regular stereo.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Official succssor to MP3?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Official succssor to MP3?

ya, I kinda stopped reading his post after that. AAC certainly is not the official successor to MP3. Better format? yes.(most other formats are).

He must think that because iTunes/iPod use it by default, it must be the official successor, because Apple always knows best!

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ... Well, MP3 is part of the MPEG-1 standard, while AAC is part of the MPEG-4 standard. I consider that to be enough proof of "official successor" to state it as such. In as much as there could be an official successor, AAC is it.

Apple did not invent AAC.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ... Well, MP3 is part of the MPEG-1 standard, while AAC is part of the MPEG-4 standard. I consider that to be enough proof of "official successor" to state it as such. In as much as there could be an official successor, AAC is it.

I never said apple invented AAC. Apple decided to embrace AAC because it is a better standard.

AAC also has less licensing fees than MP3 does but yet MP3 is still dominant. That should speak volumes right there.

As much as AAC is better, MP3 will never go away, simply because it is the ONLY format with universal compatability.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

I never said apple invented AAC. Apple decided to embrace AAC because it is a better standard.

AAC also has less licensing fees than MP3 does but yet MP3 is still dominant. That should speak volumes right there.

As much as AAC is better, MP3 will never go away, simply because it is the ONLY format with universal compatability.

Which is why he called the the 'official successor' not the actual successor. I had no trouble grasping this.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I always thought that mp3 was the actuall successor to mp3 when they came out with the extended ID3 tags.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg