Options

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join The Club

• Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

The thread title is mildly amusing (is it a European humor thing, sorry, I'm not really getting it) but I don't know if it's really conveying how potentially awesome the game could be. Tycho had nothing but grand things to say of The Club when he tried out the demo last week:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LmZCMmNPkM

while this does look pretty cool, im not sure how long it can hold my attention. i never was into the 'leaderboard' type goal of games. ill definately download this demo later.

Pompa on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tried the demo, and I'm definitely intrigued. I made two runs of the "Sprint" event, and I liked how I immediately improved the second time around. If they deliver on their promise of multiple ways to run through the environments via different routes/rules, I may end up picking this one up. It's like they've taken things that made old-school arcade games great (scoring, leaderboards, combos, characters with different playstyles), and then applied those to a shooter while keeping their racing game design philosophy in mind the whole time. Probably not for everyone, but so far I want more for sure.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I didn't notice the delay.

I could be wrong, and I'll double check it when I get home to either debunk myself, or get a second chance and maybe explain what I meant better. But I think there's even an animation of the character pulling his gun up a bit to fire. This is without hitting LT to aim.

Game has promise, though. That's for sure.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm at work but I've got my Xbox downloading this at home whilst turned off.

I hope I don't return to burnt down house.

The style of the game seems a bit rubbish (they should have SEGA'd it up more) but the idea of a proper arcade shooter is appealing to me a lot.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played it last night, didn't notice the delay at all. It was kind of fun, but I can't say it's worth a buy. I'll probably rent it and then buy my own copy when it's down to Crackdown prices.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lave II wrote: »

The style of the game seems a bit rubbish (they should have SEGA'd it up more) but the idea of a proper arcade shooter is appealing to me a lot.

You want blue skies and anthropomorphism in a game about shooting guys in the face for points?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    More people need to know about the game -- I almost skimmed over it entirely because "The Club" is almost as generic of a title as "Battlefield: Heroes."

Yeah, I can imagine The Club getting mixed up in people's minds with The Agency and The Outcast
    (SOE MMO / Frontier adventure respectively)

devs: memorable names please

Tig on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

SEGA published it. Bizarre, the guys behind Fur Fighters, Project Gotham, and Geometry Wars developed it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Lave II wrote: »

You want blue skies and anthropomorphism in a game about shooting guys in the face for points?

:)

Seriously though, I would kill for this game to be akin to an Outrun 2 spin off, as in a way that seems like what the game is closest through. Lasts about the length of a song, multiple routes, hi scores. I'ld have people running threw super bright Outrun style locations for added awesome.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sleep wrote: »

SEGA published it. Bizarre, the guys behind Fur Fighters, Project Gotham, and Geometry Wars developed it.

Aye, I know that, but I was hoping the SEGA might rub off on them, especially as GW:Galaxies shows they understand Arcades properly.

Though PG3's, constant right angles, worries me about their level design abilities.

Lave II on
  • Options
    ReverendToastReverendToast Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I took Tycho's advice and created a UK PSNetwork account, I played through the demo a few times and was a lot of fun. When the 360 demo was released I immediately grabbed it to compare. Strangely, at least with my experience, it seemed to be a LOT more smooth and responsive on the PS3 demo. The 360 version looked just as good, but I did notice a strange delay when firing, aiming and running. But the framerate seemed to be a lot better on the PS3.

ReverendToast on
    -The Good Reverend Toast

XboxLive Reverend Toast (Don't forget the Space); PSN ReverendToast (No space here)
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    US demo is up! Downloading now.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish you had the option to play the game slower

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think MC Chris needs to review this game.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's pretty fun. I played the Prison level 4 times, twice on Casual and twice on Reckless. I got the 60,000 easily (all you need to do is keep the combo going until the first explosive barrel), but Reckless is much more difficult. I had a multiplier of x15 when I got to the prison yard, and kept my combo going with the skull targets. Headshots help a lot (2,000 x 15 = lots of points), and crack shots are worth about 500, even if they suck. The biggest buzz kill is reloading, especially when you're rushing to keep your multiplier high.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    I wish you had the option to play the game slower

Just play on Casual; you don't need to combo as desparately to complete the level. Combos are the only thing propelling you through quickly, which is really interesting, because it still feels like a race. Tycho was right to compare it to PGR.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really enjoyed the demo. Production values are high and I like the concept of "mastering" an FPS level, so I think they may have just sold a copy to me. I do agree that reloading at the wrong time can really be a pain.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SubstandardSubstandard Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    I got the Demo and I think it's fantastic. PGR with Guns!

I'm so bored with the endless barrage of tactical shooters with cover mechanics that seem to be coming out these days. They are contrary to my nature, so I always end up trying to "run and gun" through them anyway or else I become bored quickly.

It's nice to see a game that rewards sprinting through as fast as humanly possible. I've played through the sprint level 6 or 7 times, and I'm really enjoying it.

It's annoying that you can't jump over 3 foot barriers though. particularly since the tutorial at the beginning specifically says "to jump over obstacles press the action button" about 20 seconds before you painfully figure out that most of them can not be jumped.

Substandard on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I passed all 3 difficulties on Saturday several times. I actually found that slow and steady wins the race. I sprinted only when I knew I had big dead spot with no enemies to hit. Other wise I took my time and aimed and used the smaller dead spots to reload so I didn't run out of ammo in the middle of a group of enemies. Mastering when to use the 180 spin is going to be crucial I have a feeling. Anywho I absolutely love this game and it is a day 1 purchase for me. In fact after playing the demo it has moved ahead of Lost Odyssee and Devil May Cry as my most anticipated game in Feb.

corin7 on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I really enjoyed this. It's like a really good racing game, except I care about it and it has a lot of men with guns.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I played the demo and was blown away. RE4 Mercenaries expanded into a full game with high definition visuals, dozens of challenges, online leaderboards, and multiplayer? Oh yeah!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't really care for the demo, it seems more like a 20$ buy when there's nothing better or a rental when bored to me.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I loved it, and everytime I play it I like it even more. I really hope they push the arcadeyness of the title.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I see my favorite logo down on the bottom of the box. Publisher?

Oh well, any time Bizarre Creations and you-know-who get together, it's been a blast.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eurogamer review has just gone live this morning.
    Overall, The Club is brilliantly immediate, logical and rewarding in ways that the PGR games always were and are, and it does for the third-person shooter what no one else has even bothered trying to do: moving it closer to the 2D shoot-'em-ups of old in a manner that appeals anew. In terms of Bizarre's canon, it is what PGR was for cars: familiar concepts designed to be enjoyed over and over rather than gasped at and discarded.

Sounds fantastic. Nothing on how competent the PC version is sadly.

LewieP on
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game is a great example of a demo that sold the game for me.

I hadnt even read 2 sentences about the game, and I overlooked the demo at first. But when I heard them talk about it on the PA Podcast, I figured it was worth a try. I assume the first commercial I saw or "unique gameplay" review I read would have triggered the same reaction.

I had a lot of fun with the 2 modes in the demo though. Its fun in the same way Time Crisis was fun back in the day, for some reason this is the closest example I can come up with.

Its too bad that it seems to get bashed pretty hard wherever I see it mentioned. But at least all those people got to try the gameplay for free.

I do hope you can remap the controller in the full game though.

Octavian on
    PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a heads up for those that might be interested but there's now a PC demo of the club out for those that might want to give it a go. It's over 132 Standard Peggles though.

gamershell link

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    downloading now.

Please be a good port, please be a good port, please be a good port, please be a good port...

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Has anyone got a link to the demo either in torrent or for somewhere that supports resuming? I got to about 50% twice only to have it time out :(

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't care that I am triple posting, this is fantastic

LewieP on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I don't care that I am triple posting, this is fantastic

Bwahahahah. Ahhh.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been playing this since friday, its great! Im really high up the score boards on a lot of maps tho, which means not many people could have picked this game up, cos I suck.

On play.com's best sellers list, Turok is in 3rd place, with the club not even in the top 10, thats a god damn travesty, Turok is a huge pile of shit, and TC is much fun!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TC isn't out in most places, which might explain it. Maybe.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh, really? Thats some good news then :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »

Feb. 19th is the release date stateside, I believe. I had no idea it was coming out earlier anywhere else.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Feb. 19th is the release date stateside, I believe. I had no idea it was coming out earlier anywhere else.

AU February 7 2008
    EU February 8 2008
    USA February 19 2008

Odd that Australia got it a day early, but early PAL release kinda makes sense since they are an Bizarre Creations are (dirty scouse) English folk.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Did....

Did I just download a zip file, of a self-extracting rar archive, which contained the installer files, which I am now installing?

I bet it's going to want to update when I first launch it too right?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did....

Did I just download a zip file, of a self-extracting rar archive, which contained the installer files, which I am now installing?

I bet it's going to want to update when I first launch it too right?

No, But it will ask you to press (|>) to start (that's my best impression of the 360 start button). It seems like a good port, but I can't really imagine this game being many hot brewed beverage of choice

Rook on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just played the demo, second difficulty level is a challenge for me but a fun one. I got a really strong original twisted metal vibe, which i loved so i'm going to buy this tomorrow.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

AU February 7 2008
    EU February 8 2008
    USA February 19 2008

Odd that Australia got it a day early, but early PAL release kinda makes sense since they are an Bizarre Creations are (dirty scouse) English folk.

Liverpool's better than Manchester 8-)

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png