As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My view on the industry... (AKA why don't I kill things with my butt any more)

• Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    (giant block of text)

My first...
    Maybee last...
    Okay ... you're new ... so take this as a tip. Learn what tl;dr means. Summarize your block of text at the end so that people can get an idea of just what you're driving at. I read through it and still have no idea what your point is. I'll read through it again, but you've got to learn to summarize.

EDIT: You get some credit though because your first post, unlike many others, has punctuation and paragraph breaks.
    What our industry now lacks in this age of advanced games where you have whole worlds is the simplistic game play that I could lay on the ground in front of my tv and play on a friday night. Where I could play 15 min and go do some homework.

so ... tl:dr: Games have gotten too complicated for their own good. You miss the time where you could pick up & play for 15 minutes and you want to see that come back.

Here's what you've got to understand:

(a) optical media is partially to blame. Now that systems have boot and load times it might take 5 minutes just to get to start a game.
    (b) There are still pick-up-and-play games, but they're not the same franchises you know and love from your NES. Metroid, Zelda, Mario, etc ... have all gotten to the point where a play session ranges anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, and that's mostly because of "hardcore" gamers demanding it (or rather game magazines who claim to represent hardcore gamers).

If you still want pick-up-and-play games, you've got to look into some new franchises, and also revise the way you play. There's nothing that says you can't play Super Mario Galaxy for 20 minutes, collect 2 stars, then save & quit. Just because you can play longer doesn't mean that you must. Guitar Hero and DDR are also great for 15-30 minute sessions.

Zack & Wiki is another great 20-minute game. Start it up, solve one or two puzzles, and quit. But if you really want pick-up-and-play get a DS and learn to use sleep mode. There's really nothing more to it.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    Graphically, maybe, but has anybody noticed what tends to happen to the most graphically powerful system in each console battle? The Genesis was stronger than the SNES,

Well, the rest of your post makes sense, but the problem here is, in the states, the genesis outsold the Snes.

You're thinking Europe, which is true. The SNES sold 20 million to Sega's 13 in the US. It also outsold overall.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry Hevach, I was taking into account the Gen adds total all together. 32x and all that rot pushed it just over Snes sales before it fell flat. But you are also right, in the land of Euro it did outsell outright. Ahhh, memories, how warm and fuzzy you make me.

Now, lets forget all this Nin/Sony/Micro argument and talk about whats really important...

The Intellivision was soooo much better than my Atari 2600. But the Odyssey was circling the drain of course.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Graphically, maybe, but has anybody noticed what tends to happen to the most graphically powerful system in each console battle? The Genesis was stronger than the SNES,

Well, the rest of your post makes sense, but the problem here is, in the states, the genesis outsold the Snes.

You're thinking Europe, which is true. The SNES sold 20 million to Sega's 13 in the US. It also outsold overall.

Also, the SNES is more powerful than the Genesis.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    jothki wrote: »

It was so hard to tell back in the day. Each system had their own terms for internal parts. What was the silly thing Sega talked about that the Gen had that let Sonic be so fast?

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It was so hard to tell back in the day. Each system had their own terms for internal parts. What was the silly thing Sega talked about that the Gen had that let Sonic be so fast?

I believe it was "Blast Processing"

And no fucking way was the Genesis more powerful than the SNES, the SNES had much better sound and in my opinion overall graphics as well.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    "Blast Processing" Ha ha! That was it. We were so young and uneducated back then. If a console maker came out today and try to say their system was better because of their "Bling GPU" They would get skewered by the magazines and blackballed by the rest of us.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

I believe it was "Blast Processing"

And no fucking way was the Genesis more powerful than the SNES, the SNES had much better sound and in my opinion overall graphics as well.

Oooo-Yeah, Blast Processing.

At that time, I didn't care at all
    I had both.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I certainly can't blame Sega for their awesome marketing in the Genesis days.

Genesis DOES (what Nintendon't)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wateyad wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »
    I'm a 360 fanboy, but when Sony enables the 8th core on the PS3 (similar as to what they did with the PSP), they will knock the socks off the 360.

Um, what? The reason why the PS3 only uses 7 SPUs is so that they can use chips where one SPU flat out doesn't work that would be unusable for other purposes in order to bring costs down.

I know, but I swear I read that the realiability was so high that that wasn't the case anymore, so GT5 would be the first game to use all 8 cores... didn't want to post that, because I lost the link now, though. :(

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But what would happen to all those PS3 owners that have a defective core?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's not like that one extra sub-processor is gonna make that much of a difference. I mean, it's not even a real, "full" core/CPU.

And the OP is full of wrong and lose.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skyfireskyfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

orly? As I recall the SNES out sold the Genesis by the end of the 16-bit era (in NA, not just the world).

And secondly the SNES was more powerful (overall) then the Genesis. The Genesis may have had the higher mhz but the SNES killed it everywhere else

skyfire on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think you guys understand. The second commercial on here will clear everything up about blast processing: link

Wonder how many people they got with that one.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    skyfire wrote: »

orly? As I recall the SNES out sold the Genesis by the end of the 16-bit era (in NA, not just the world).

And secondly the SNES was more powerful (overall) then the Genesis. The Genesis may have had the higher mhz but the SNES killed it everywhere else

We discussed this, and came to the truth of it. Try reading a couple more posts down past that. Your post is full of lose. (You used an internet silly term, thought I would to ;) )

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Silvanos wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a pretty absurd post. This one "why I don't kill things with my butt anymore" combined with another thread talking about how the DS is only popular because it's like the SNES, is enough to make me steer clear of the anti-Nintendo inflammatory posts. That and there's zero fucking logic going on in this op's argument.

Its grammar and the like certainly weren't on par with what we normally see, and it's a first-day poster, but I can see where he's coming from. His argument is pretty out there but I feel like that has garnished the subject with attention it otherwise wouldn't receive.

I have felt the same way - my sister got a Wii for Christmas with Mario Galaxy. I think Mario Galaxy is one of the most boring games I've ever played - granted, I will have to give it some more chances - and I can't think of another game I'd want to buy for the Wii. Metroid Prime 3?

The strong Zelda/Mario/Metroid/DK quartet that the OP referred to is, to me, no longer existent. DK is seemingly nowhere to be found, Zelda was cross-platform, Metroid is sound, and to everyone else, Mario is solid as well. Still, even with only Mario and Metroid, that's only a handful of games on the Wii.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    If like John Romero or Will Wright came to PA and made a post about their thoughts on the game industry, I'd care.

Really?
    CZroe wrote: »
    I had trouble thinking of XBOX 360 "must have" games that aren't available on PC or multi-console, and I could only think of Dead Rising, PGR, FORZA, Mass Effect, and Crackdown with Halo 3 inevitably coming to PC (and, possibly/hopefully, Mass Effect). Am I forgetting something once again? I'm not big on racing when it doesn't involve items, spaceships, or funny carts/karts, so what I see here is a situation where Nintendo clearly has more "must have" titles that are only found there than Microsoft. Gears of War, Shadowrun, even Viva Pinata is on PC. I think it is the exact opposite of what you put forth: The PS3 and the Wii have the exclusives where a PC can round up almost the entire XBOX 360 exclusive "must haves" that didn't go multi-console. If you could only have two next gen consoles and no PC, I'd go with the XBOX 360 and Wii, but I see no reason to get all three consoles when PC software is a far cry from $60 a pop. Even so, most gamers aren't going to have "all three" or a gaming PC, so I certainly see how the XBOX 360 positions itself well as an alternative to buying a PS3 + gaming PC, but it doesn't give you a broader library of "must haves" by any means. That isn't its strength.

Oh, god. NOT AGAIN!

(runs away screaming)

Raynaga on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zelda, Mario, and Metroid are all still strong and on the Wii. Donkey Kong is gone because Rare is shit, these days. Has nothing to do with Nintendo.

gilrain on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    If like John Romero or Will Wright came to PA and made a post about their thoughts on the game industry, I'd care.

Really?

I am thinking maybe he forgot which John we like.

I mean they both used to be cool. Of course one released Daikatana. And the other is still a coding God.

Oh John Carmack.

So sexy.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Silvanos wrote: »
    Yeah, this is a pretty absurd post. This one "why I don't kill things with my butt anymore" combined with another thread talking about how the DS is only popular because it's like the SNES, is enough to make me steer clear of the anti-Nintendo inflammatory posts. That and there's zero fucking logic going on in this op's argument.

Its grammar and the like certainly weren't on par with what we normally see, and it's a first-day poster, but I can see where he's coming from. His argument is pretty out there but I feel like that has garnished the subject with attention it otherwise wouldn't receive.

I have felt the same way - my sister got a Wii for Christmas with Mario Galaxy. I think Mario Galaxy is one of the most boring games I've ever played - granted, I will have to give it some more chances - and I can't think of another game I'd want to buy for the Wii. Metroid Prime 3?

The strong Zelda/Mario/Metroid/DK quartet that the OP referred to is, to me, no longer existent. DK is seemingly nowhere to be found, Zelda was cross-platform, Metroid is sound, and to everyone else, Mario is solid as well. Still, even with only Mario and Metroid, that's only a handful of games on the Wii.

I'm afraid opinions of people with no soul are invalid.

Also, look back at the GC. No Zelda, 2 Metroids eventually, SSBM, Mario was mediocre on the cube, DK had... jungle beats? Was that for the GCN? Anyways, also Mario Kart... but I know a lot of people who have REMake, Rogue Squadron, RE4, and they're not part of the "Big four" that for some reason doesn't include SSBB. And this generation we may not have games that are selling well, but to completely forget about Zack + Wiki, No More Heroes, RE4:Wii(Oh noes cross platform), and Brawl is really doing the Wii's library a disservice. I can make the 360 lineup look bad if I just look at Halo 3 and Mass Effect, and I can make the PS3 lineup look bad if I just look at Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.

Khavall on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mario Galaxy and I think Smash Brothers Brawl were promised many moons ago to be Revolution launch titles.

50% of them arent even out yet, one year after launch.

I mean, its a tiny tiny complaint, but I think its still annoying. The first year of Wii until Galaxy was a fucking wasteland for good games.

I dont regret buying a Wii.

I regret buying one at launch.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Really buying any console at launch and expecting a robust and full software library is pretty faulty though.

I mean, when has that happened, like, ever?

Khavall on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Mario Galaxy and I think Smash Brothers Brawl were promised many moons ago to be Revolution launch titles.

50% of them arent even out yet, one year after launch.

I mean, its a tiny tiny complaint, but I think its still annoying. The first year of Wii until Galaxy was a fucking wasteland for good games.

I dont regret buying a Wii.

I regret buying one at launch.

Eh? Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3 makes for 3 marquee titles during the Wii's first year. Mario Strikers, Excite Truck, Metal Slug Anthology, RE4, and the endless joys of the VC filled things out pretty well, I think.

Oh well. To each his own.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Really buying any console at launch and expecting a robust and full software library is pretty faulty though.

Its not that I expected pure win right out the gate.

But at least something decent in the first 9-10 months.

360 at least had that. Many other consoles have, Dreamcast springs to mind.

But after I was done with Twilight Princess I didnt play my Wii period other than Wii Sports at family get-togethers until Metroid Prime 3. And I know Im not alone in this way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

The NES, I played Mario/Duckhunt until my fucking eyes bleed. Then when I dragged myself out of my house and found many titles out there.

Then again I was younger, and easily impressed. After my Atari 2600, the NES was a golden machine that spit out happiness and smelled of roses mingled with cheetos.

It was a little bit before I was jaded, but it was always a good time.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also, look back at the GC. No Zelda,
    Er, what? Wind Waker, dude.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    gilrain wrote: »

he was talking launch titles silly ;P

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I disagree with pretty much everything you said, Mr. OP man. Metroid, Mario, and Zelda were all fucking fantastic, none of them have strayed too far from their roots. Sure, Mario didn't launch with the system, but it was by no means "too late."

Also, the PS3 has performed almost identically to how the 360 performed in it's first year.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

he was talking launch titles silly ;P

Rogue Squadron was the only launch title he mentioned. Melee was a "launch window" game but that's it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Fucking ASS.

I love that game too.

Well until it fucks you up the ass with the damn MAP PIECES and then you PAY A BAJILLION RUPEES to some FAIRY WANNABE to FUCKING TRANSLATE THEM just so the game LASTS ANOTHER FRUSTRATING 40 HOURS UNTIL I KILL A BITCH AND BURY HER IN THE BACK YARD.

Anyways, still, the GCN's "Big four" weren't there right out of the gate, and they weren't the giant paragon everyone holds them up to be.

Seriously, I think everyone I know remembers having a friend with a GCN, Melee, and Rogue Leader. Not Mario, not Zelda, not Metroid, even though yeah, I'm sure they had them, most people I know don't remember the "big four" that were mentioned.

Especially not Donkey Kong. Man what has he had since DKC?

Khavall on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jungle Beat was an extremely fun and underappreciated DK game.

But other than that, nothing really.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish my opinion was remarkable enough that I could make my own thread for it.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, okay, fair enough.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I wish my opinion was remarkable enough that I could make my own thread for it.

ah ha ha, Ha ah ha, HA HA AHha, AH HA HA HAHA!!

That was maddeningly funny, thank you.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    And there's no competition for GT5 and Little Big Planet.

This is old, but really? Forza Motorsport 2 is pretty damn good and has a groundbreaking physics engine, a damage system and customization system that GT5 lacks so far.
    Hell, I'd compare GT5 to Project Gotham Racing 4 based on the physics model.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

This is old, but really? Forza Motorsport 2 is pretty damn good and has a groundbreaking physics engine, a damage system and customization system that GT5 lacks so far.

Yes, lets compare a game people have played and like for awhile now to a game that hasn't even released a demo, full gameplay footage, or specs. Yeah, that makes so much sense.

You sure showed him.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Yes, lets compare a game people have played and like for awhile now to a game that hasn't even released a demo, full gameplay footage, or specs. Yeah, that makes so much sense.

You sure showed him.

The GT5 demo has been out for 18 days now.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit, guys, no, this can't go on. We can't post in this guy's topic, he'll think he's doing something right!

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

You sure showed him.

The GT5 demo has been out for 18 days now.

Officially its not a demo, its some wierd chapter thing they are releasing because they are whores like that. Remember way back when they released, what was it, concept or something? Like 12 cars and you just did Time trials. That was not GT5, and neither is this new one, they have said that they are going to add DLC for it. It is just a chance for them to whore the name out.

I'm not saying I am a fan, just saying.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    Shit, guys, no, this can't go on. We can't post in this guy's topic, he'll think he's doing something right!

Ha ha! You have a point, but we keep getting off topic and I keep hoping that a mod sees that and locks this guys thread.

Gahazakul on