Options

My view on the industry... (AKA why don't I kill things with my butt any more)

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gahazakul wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »
    And there's no competition for GT5 and Little Big Planet.

This is old, but really? Forza Motorsport 2 is pretty damn good and has a groundbreaking physics engine, a damage system and customization system that GT5 lacks so far.
    Hell, I'd compare GT5 to Project Gotham Racing 4 based on the physics model.

Yes, lets compare a game people have played and like for awhile now to a game that hasn't even released a demo, full gameplay footage, or specs. Yeah, that makes so much sense.

You sure showed him.

The GT5 demo has been out for 18 days now.

Officially its not a demo, its some wierd chapter thing they are releasing because they are whores like that. Remember way back when they released, what was it, concept or something? Like 12 cars and you just did Time trials. That was not GT5, and neither is this new one, they have said that they are going to add DLC for it. It is just a chance for them to whore the name out.

I'm not saying I am a fan, just saying.

no, GT5 prologue is a fancy demo. the same way GT4 Prologue was a fancy demo. In fact, once GT5 Prologue launched, GTHD Concept was removed from the server, indicating that, yes, it's just a demo, and this is the update. And when GT5 launches, a GT5 demo will take the place of GT5 Prologue on PSN.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    If like John Romero or Will Wright came to PA and made a post about their thoughts on the game industry, I'd care.

Really?

I am thinking maybe he forgot which John we like.

I mean they both used to be cool. Of course one released Daikatana. And the other is still a coding God.

Oh John Carmack.

So sexy.

God damn it I swear to God I typed John Carmack, but I was also posting in the "Let's Play - The Daikatana Demo" thread I made, so I guess I had Romero on my mind.

But honestly if Romero came and made a thread about his thoughts on the videogame industry, as laughably bad as it wold probably be, it would still be a better thread than this one. I mean, Derek Smart could probably make a better OP.

Also, while we're on the topic of Nintendo launches, when has a Nintendo system ever launched with a fuyckawesome lineup? Didn't the Nintendo 64 launch with nothing more than Mario 64 and Pilotwings? That's the curse of the Nintendo buyer, you buy a system at launch, play a couple of Pretty Sevens, and then you have to wait six months between first party AAA releases.

That's why I buy Nintendo hardware two or three years in, because then there's a bunch of good, cheap games available.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Wii is a marketing success. All this "GRETEST CONSOLE EVER" shit is completely out of line with the fact that it has, like, five games worth buying, and that given Nintendo's track record it's likely to have maybe five games worth buying a year for its lifespan.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FF doesnt have the power it once had either. The decision to launch the most recent abortion in this seris on ps2 (because there were not enough ps3 in consumer hands to hit profitbility otherwise) killed the sereis.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8671

1.7 Million units in a week in Japan isn't good enough for you? Final Fantasy is still a juggernaut in terms of sales:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29985

FFX and FFXII are still 2 of the top selling game on the PS2.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Wii is a marketing success. All this "GRETEST CONSOLE EVER" shit is completely out of line with the fact that it has, like, five games worth buying, and that given Nintendo's track record it's likely to have maybe five games worth buying a year for its lifespan.
    How is that different than any other console? I usually only find about that many games per year worth buying on any console.

gilrain on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, seriously. Who the FUCK is this guy? Why is anyone arguing with him?

This thread should have just died on exposure to the internet!

YaYa on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YaYa wrote: »

No.

This is a prime example of what NOT to post in a discussion thread. It should be moved to the "lets post about how this thread shouldn't exist" thread, because this thread is clearly one of those newfangled videotron discussion threads.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008

No.

This is a prime example of what NOT to post in a discussion thread. It should be moved to the "lets post about how this thread shouldn't exist" thread, because this thread is clearly one of those newfangled videotron discussion threads.

Are we actually discussing anything though? I think we're all just taking it in turns to shoot down every single thing he's said like some kind of twisted nerd-version of clay pigeon shooting.

Italax on
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Italax wrote: »

No.

Are we actually discussing anything though? I think we're all just taking it in turns to shoot down every single thing he's said like some kind of twisted nerd-version of clay pigeon shooting.

That's true.

And the fact that he hasn't come in here again to defend himself...

Hmm.

Well played, shitty OP.

YaYa on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

No.

It's like Duck Hunt, in thread form.

Except without that fuckass dog.

God, I hate that dog.

I should make a thread about how much I hate that dog.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

No.

God, I hate that dog.

Do it.

YaYa on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Five good games a year is pretty good, dude.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »

No.

God, I hate that dog.

Do it.

Would a version of duck hunt where you can shoot the dog sell?

Like fucking HOTCAKES BABY!

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Duck Hunt 2 will have a secret level when all the ducks are that dog. It'll be like Old Yeller and I will love every second of it.

Italax on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wateyad wrote: »
    I'm a 360 fanboy, but when Sony enables the 8th core on the PS3 (similar as to what they did with the PSP), they will knock the socks off the 360.

Um, what? The reason why the PS3 only uses 7 SPUs is so that they can use chips where one SPU flat out doesn't work that would be unusable for other purposes in order to bring costs down.

I know, but I swear I read that the realiability was so high that that wasn't the case anymore, so GT5 would be the first game to use all 8 cores... didn't want to post that, because I lost the link now, though. :(

First having 7 rather than 8 cores is probably number 523 on the list of problems facing the PS3. Second, is the comparison to the PSP supposed to imply that fixing the 8th core will help the PS3 sell hardware but almost stop all software sales? I'm a bit confused.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Didn't the Nintendo 64 launch with nothing more than Mario 64 and Pilotwings?

But didnt they both fucking rock your boxers right off? Quality over quantity.

In a dismal attempt to keep this thread on track ill say this : All in all over a few year span all 3 game companies hold about the same market share with about 10-20% swing that various between launchs and such. Nintendo is probably the least financially secure but could still easily stay in the game for a long time (it took Sega how long to go under?). And even if they did suddenly said oops,were broke and going under the japanese goverment would probably subsidize them from a peoples Nintendo tax. Both Microsoft and Sony will never ever die,barring actual death of mass amounts of its employees. They have way to many subsidaries to ever go under and are quite akin to Shadowruns Megacorps.

And whatever Sony paid for Square to cover for Spirits within,they made it back with Advent Children which sold 93% of all available copies in japan in the first week (430000). Advent children was also quite a bit cheaper to make then Spirits due to the technology already being pioneered for Spirits.

Sony is trailing third for this generation but the fact there even still in the ring for this generation is amazing,considering not long ago there was only room for two.

Vytae on
  • Options
    JimmyNavioJimmyNavio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Whether or not Mario Galaxy came late, it is an AWESOME game. When I broke it out on Christmas day my entire family looked on with smiling faces. We couldn't put it down all day.

And as far is this rant goes...
    When Mario was the thing every child wanted to be, even sonic was but a good clone, he was simple addicting and fun. What could the nintendo do? Reinvent mario with music and graphics of today. give me mario, mario 2, mario lost levels, mario 3, and super mario world. Heck throw in the game boy games. Give it todays graphics and go back and make all the games have all the power ups from all the games. tie them together. Add areas you couldnt access before because of a missing powerup. Keep with classic music updated. Let me play the origional level as frog mario or a hammer brother. Heck lets throw in peach and toad as playable through it all.

...have you even played Super Paper Mario? It pretty much DID almost everything you suggested here. Original Mario gameplay with some modern level design, updated graphics, new powerups, and multiple playable characters.
    You should check it out.

JimmyNavio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Vytae, Nintendo isn't in the least lacking in financial security. They are the only company to never sell at a loss and make the most amount of cash on their consoles each generation.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1. (Try to) read the OP again.
    2. Wonder how in the world this thread got to page 5.
    3. Hang your head in shame.

imperial6 on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Oh John Romero.

So sexy.
    John_cannes_interview.jpg
    kidding
    or am I?

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just got home after a great new year's party, and this is the thread I find awaiting me?

Oh man. Augh. Makes me sick. The OP does. It's so full of.. lose. Or maybe that's the alcohol. Making me sick up that is. Must be a combination of the two.

edit: Oh i see this is the other thread this guy has made. Both threads are total shit. Huh.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    The Wii is going to have plenty of good titles. People cannot just accept that Nintendo kicked Sony's ass up and down the street for this generation at least. And even in third place, Sony isn't going anywhere. They're fucking huge. At worst, they would pull out of the videogame business or just manufacture the PS2 forever.

Two, Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy have shown you do not need your "flagship" at launch anymore. As long as you get it out in a reasonable timeframe, people will buy your system for it. It's just that sometimes, people will wait (Halo 3) until the game comes out to buy your system. Whereas Mario Galaxy.. well, they didn't have much of a choice.

Also, as an aside, I never really liked the 2D metroids at all, but I still liked the idea and the character. The Prime games were the first ones I ever liked.

Not to mention the massive fail of "just updating the games to today's graphics". Okay, you just want the game industry to retread what it has already done? Also, they already did this. It's called Super Mario All-Stars + Mario World, in which the NES classics were upgraded to about as good of graphics as you ever really could without changing the artstyle, and in the + MW version Luigi has a redrawn, custom sprite. There's also the Advance version of 3 that had limited support for new levels that nobody really bought into, and MarioWorld was revamped a bit.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What I can't fathom is this insistance that a flagship MUST be at launch when the first year for the PS2 was nothing but pure, unaduletrated shite.

OK, a bit of a stretch, but the real PS2 hits didn't hit early. And you could hardly argue it hurt the PS2s fortunes.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BecksBecks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i can't believe this thread is stil here

/vomiting a lot

Becks on
    content-warning.gifaa2monkeyline9hk.gif23tsbpk.gifquote1.gif
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    What I can't fathom is this insistance that a flagship MUST be at launch when the first year for the PS2 was nothing but pure, unaduletrated shite.

OK, a bit of a stretch, but the real PS2 hits didn't hit early. And you could hardly argue it hurt the PS2s fortunes.

What?

Are you forgetting the genius that was the Bouncer?

Or Fantavision?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    donquixotedonquixote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Blast Processing" Ha ha! That was it. We were so young and uneducated back then. If a console maker came out today and try to say their system was better because of their "Bling GPU" They would get skewered by the magazines and blackballed by the rest of us.

Eh, "Emotion Engine"?

donquixote on
    Pearl code - 2191 4194 9751
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    donquixote wrote: »
    "Blast Processing" Ha ha! That was it. We were so young and uneducated back then. If a console maker came out today and try to say their system was better because of their "Bling GPU" They would get skewered by the magazines and blackballed by the rest of us.

Eh, "Emotion Engine"?

IT MADE RINOA'S HAIR LOOK AMAZING!

Kagera on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah but "Emotion Engine" is a way cooler name than "Flipper" or "Mobile Celeron".

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Yeah but "Emotion Engine" is a way cooler name than "Flipper" or "Mobile Celeron".

I don't know, when I heard Emotion Engine I thought 'Emo Engine' and imagined a console powered by a mentally unstable white teenager's tears.

Kagera on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At least that way we'd have a use for them.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

What?

Are you forgetting the genius that was the Bouncer?

Or Fantavision?

The last time I played Fantavision was when it was an animation suite for the Amiga 500

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Guyz listn to me i am in teh industrys

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like how the OP notes this is his first and "maybe last" post. I don't think you made a very good impression. Y'know, with your ass-backwards 'view' on the industry. Thanks for sharing. Now please keep this crap to your blog.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    And even in third place, Sony isn't going anywhere.

This is what most people seem to misunderstand. It's been a whole year since the PS3 was released (give or take), and people have been dooming them the entire time. But chew on this:

The PS3 is supposed to have a 10 year life span.

That is Sony's plan. Now, I'm no Sony fanboy (I don't even own a PS3, I have my trusty 360), but I'm pretty sure the PS3 isn't going to fail. I think, within two years, it will have better sales figures than the 360, and probably pretty close to the Wii (although I still doubt that.).

The Wii just has too much of a stranglehold too soon. Nintendo is going to be around for a long, long time.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you Fyre, guess I didn't really make that clear ;)

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

This is what most people seem to misunderstand. It's been a whole year since the PS3 was released (give or take), and people have been dooming them the entire time. But chew on this:

The ten year lifespan thing is essentially a load of nonsense; marketing just like all of the "This is living!" crap. There will be a PS4 around the same time Microsoft and Nintendo make new systems, assuming Sony is still making video games at that point.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I like how the OP notes this is his first and "maybe last" post. I don't think you made a very good impression. Y'know, with your ass-backwards 'view' on the industry. Thanks for sharing. Now please keep this crap to your blog.

To be fair he said he worked for Sega.

He clearly has no idea how a proper company works.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

The ten year lifespan thing is essentially a load of nonsense; marketing just like all of the "This is living!" crap. There will be a PS4 around the same time Microsoft and Nintendo make new systems, assuming Sony is still making video games at that point.

Are you really so dense as to think that Sony's getting killed that badly? Right now sure they're in third place, but they're selling about as well as the 360 did in its first year. Were you crying that Microsoft was going to stop making videogames after their first year, too? Even if Sony does stay in third place, that doesn't mean shit. They're not going anywhere. Did Nintendo stop making consoles after being trounced for 2 generations? Nope. And you think Sony will?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's more tricky wording, I think. It's supposed to provide people a sense of comfort that their money invested in the console will go to use for a long time. That may technically be true. But console generations don't last 10 years. So if the PS4 has no backward compatibility, the PS3 will have a lengthy 'lifespan'. Because people will have no choice but to use it.

Edit -
    Henroid wrote: »

To be fair he said he worked for Sega.

He clearly has no idea how a proper company works.

Aw, low blow. D:

... but I laughed.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The PS3 will have a 10 year lifespan.

As a Blu-Ray player.

Kagera on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Are you really so dense as to think that Sony's getting killed that badly? Right now sure they're in third place, but they're selling about as well as the 360 did in its first year. Were you crying that Microsoft was going to stop making videogames after their first year, too? Even if Sony does stay in third place, that doesn't mean shit. They're not going anywhere. Did Nintendo stop making consoles after being trounced for 2 generations? Nope. And you think Sony will?

Jesus, people are touchy in this thread. I toss in a little "unless there's some freak occurrence" thing at the end and get jumped on. You guys have fun now.

Daedalus on