As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My view on the industry... (AKA why don't I kill things with my butt any more)

124»

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah right, 10 year life span. The PS2 is the most successful console in history, and I would personally just about consider it dead just after 7 years. I can't see a single thing in its release or announced list that even smacks of something interesting compared to the current gen.* If the most successful console ever cannot make it to 10 full, decent years, then so far much less successful PS3 most surely will not.

And of course Sony will launch a PS4 around the time that the next Xbox and Nintendo machines will. Sony always continues support for previous gens while launching new gens. It's just that developers being to shift focus to the following gen and stop making good games for the previous gen. I mean, yeah, technically Sony is still 'supporting' the PS2, but in reality, it is nothing more than an extremely excellent way to access really old and really good games on a small budget. You're not buying a PS2 now to get GTA IV or God of War 3; you're buying it to get Shadow of the Colossus for $15.

*Maybe the next guitar hero or a rock band expansion might make it to the system. But besides that...?

slash000 on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    And even in third place, Sony isn't going anywhere.

This is what most people seem to misunderstand. It's been a whole year since the PS3 was released (give or take), and people have been dooming them the entire time. But chew on this:

The PS3 is supposed to have a 10 year life span.

The ten year lifespan thing is essentially a load of nonsense; marketing just like all of the "This is living!" crap. There will be a PS4 around the same time Microsoft and Nintendo make new systems, assuming Sony is still making video games at that point.

Are you really so dense as to think that Sony's getting killed that badly? Right now sure they're in third place, but they're selling about as well as the 360 did in its first year. Were you crying that Microsoft was going to stop making videogames after their first year, too? Even if Sony does stay in third place, that doesn't mean shit. They're not going anywhere. Did Nintendo stop making consoles after being trounced for 2 generations? Nope. And you think Sony will?

Jesus, people are touchy in this thread. I toss in a little "unless there's some freak occurrence" thing at the end and get jumped on. You guys have fun now.

I'm not really trying to be touchy, and I wouldn't have said anything if this was the first time I've heard of such a thing. But, some people really truly do believe Sony won't be making games and/or consoles soon and that they're really in that dire of trouble. Such a view is downright weird and shouldn't really exist given the circumstances, that's all.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    donquixotedonquixote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

This is what most people seem to misunderstand. It's been a whole year since the PS3 was released (give or take), and people have been dooming them the entire time. But chew on this:

The ten year lifespan thing is essentially a load of nonsense; marketing just like all of the "This is living!" crap. There will be a PS4 around the same time Microsoft and Nintendo make new systems, assuming Sony is still making video games at that point.

Are you really so dense as to think that Sony's getting killed that badly? Right now sure they're in third place, but they're selling about as well as the 360 did in its first year. Were you crying that Microsoft was going to stop making videogames after their first year, too? Even if Sony does stay in third place, that doesn't mean shit. They're not going anywhere. Did Nintendo stop making consoles after being trounced for 2 generations? Nope. And you think Sony will?

Jesus, people are touchy in this thread. I toss in a little "unless there's some freak occurrence" thing at the end and get jumped on. You guys have fun now.

I'm not really trying to be touchy, and I wouldn't have said anything if this was the first time I've heard of such a thing. But, some people really truly do believe Sony won't be making games and/or consoles soon and that they're really in that dire of trouble. Such a view is downright weird and shouldn't really exist given the circumstances, that's all.

Oh Dammed God. Might as well just say from the start that I don't think Sony will stop releasing games after this gen. But it's stupid to compare them to Nintendo. On the GameCube and N64 Nintendo made a profit, right from the start, on every unit sold. The PS3 loses money for Sony and they are banking on the manufacturing costs reducing due to economics of scale before they can make a profit. Best to compare them to Sega (who, as you are well, are quit the hardware business after two failed consoles) or Microsoft (who like Sony are a conglomeration with other divisions to offset the loss on a failing product)

donquixote on
    Pearl code - 2191 4194 9751
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What is so "revolutionary" about a cheap Gamecube 1.5?
    :P

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    donquixote wrote: »

Oh Dammed God. Might as well just say from the start that I don't think Sony will stop releasing games after this gen. But it's stupid to compare them to Nintendo. On the GameCube and N64 Nintendo made a profit, right from the start, on every unit sold. The PS3 loses money for Sony and they are banking on the manufacturing costs reducing due to economics of scale before they can make a profit. Best to compare them to Sega (who, as you are well, are quit the hardware business after two failed consoles) or Microsoft (who like Sony are a conglomeration with other divisions to offset the loss on a failing product)

Still, they're doing as well as the 360 did their first year, and the 360 did it with no competition at all. PS3 is doing it with both the Wii and the 360 as competition, and an abnormally large amount of bad PR against them. I'd say that's pretty damned good. Sure they're not in the profit yet, but I can guarantee that barring something completely off the wall they won't be in the same situation next year, especially since the bad PR seems to be calming down (though very very slowly). I wasn't specifically comparing them to Nintendo 100%, because yeah that's silly because of the points you made. I was trying to make the reference that Nintendo got utterly raped for two generations and now are on top by a large margin so far. Sony could very well do the same. They're not going to quit after losing one generation, especially after seeing Nintendo pull a 180. They'll (at the very least) be around for next generation. That's the point I was making. It's not that great comparing Sony to Sega because all Sega does is games. They don't have anything to fall back on. The original Xbox didn't do so swell, but Microsoft didn't quit, because they have other assets to bail them out and get them back on track, and they knew there's profit in this market. Sony also knows there's profit in this market (they have the PS2 for god's sake), and they also have other assets to keep them in the market.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GUTS wrote: »
    What is so "revolutionary" about a cheap Gamecube 1.5?
    :P

I love Will Wright.

\/

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop