As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Freespace 1 & 2 (not 56k friendly)

• Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It does have mouse support, but I find flying with a mouse a horrible idea all the time. I played through the whole FS1 with the keyboard and it worked fine. Now I'm replaying it with a crappy joystick. When I start to lose, though, I bring out the keyboard again.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Favorite space game of all time. Nuff said.

Having a cap ship jump in out of subspace right over your head, or running like mad as one blows up right behind you, heat on your back, shrapnel whipping past your puny little fightercraft... by far two of the most intense moments in gaming history.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    neftynefty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    Dive.

Dive.

Hit your burners, pilot.
    No, no, no. You're doing it all wrong. It was more like this:

DIVE!
    DIVE!
    DIVE!
    Hit your burners pilot!

Seriously though, I almost wet myself when that happened.

nefty on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Installed, launched the launcher exe and set all the graphical options on, and played a little of the tutorial. The game isn't looking anything like those screenshots, but it's just empty space and the tutorial ship. Can I expect the new graphics once I'm actually into the main campaign?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    FS1 question
    Early on in Freespace 1, I remember some humans broke away and went rogue because there was a looming threat worse than the the current alien enemy. That threat was the Shivans. What exactly was that rogue group going to do against the Shivans? Why the hell did they break away?
    As I recall (although it has been about 6 or 7 years since I've played FS1) the humans didn't break away because of the Shivans, but because the humans allied with the other alien race (Vasudans?) to help stop the Shivans. Considering that the humans and Vasudans were at war for years, it's not too surprising that some people would be reluctant to ally with them

0blique on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So are there multiple ships to pilot and "jobs"? I may be thinking of anohter game potentially.

I unfortunately never played this. :(

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    So are there multiple ships to pilot and "jobs"? I may be thinking of anohter game potentially.

I unfortunately never played this. :(

There are something like 14 or 15 ships (can't remember off the top of my head). You'll fly a mix of interceptors, bombers and assault ships. Tons of variety in this game.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No, there's only 1 ship, but you can give orders to your wingmen, other squads, and even some of the capital ships. It's a space flight simulator, similar to Wing Commander.

Edit: Ignore this post, I thought you were asking about flying multiple ships at the same time.

0blique on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, you take on different roles in the whole combat thing, but you're essentially flying combat missions in a variety of ships. It's not something like X, Frontier or Freelancer, where you've got an open universe to piddle about it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    0blique wrote: »
    No, there's only 1 ship, but you can give orders to your wingmen, other squads, and even some of the capital ships. It's a space flight simulator, similar to Wing Commander.

Edit: Ignore this post, I thought you were asking about flying multiple ships at the same time.

I think Wing Commander was what I was thinking of. In one of them you could haul cargo and crap like that right?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I think Wing Commander was what I was thinking of. In one of them you could haul cargo and crap like that right?

Privateer?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Privateer?

Yeah, I think that's it. Sorry, my space sim experience pretty much is limited to the Tie Fighter/X-wing Series.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you liked Tie-Fighter and X-Wing, download Freespace now. Do it. Now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    Ooh. Privateer. I loved it. Had a pimped-out Centurion with a hidden unscannable compartment to smuggle shit in.

Echo on
  • Options
    StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    heh, i remember privateer, especially the opening cutscene, where you watch the player character own 3 or 4 pirate ships with his gimpy ship equipped with 1 lousy laser cannon and basic missiles.

As for Freespace 1 and 2, loved it, but i don't have a joystick right now, and playing the game with anything else won't do it for me.

StopAndSwish on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The genre hasn't died totally, right? There's Silpheed on the 360 by Square, Darkstar One and Rogue Universe on the PC. I never played Colony Wars but I heard it was the best of its kind at the time. I don't believe that but that was the word on the street ten years ago.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Colony Wars was great.
    There hasn't been a game like Colony Wars, Freespace 2 or Privateer for a very long time. Most of these other ones are arcadey shootem ups. Nobody tries to do a space "sim" anymore.
    Ima ignore anybody who mentions sound in space, acceleration or whatever. You know what I'm really talking about, don't be a smartass.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Installed, launched the launcher exe and set all the graphical options on, and played a little of the tutorial. The game isn't looking anything like those screenshots, but it's just empty space and the tutorial ship. Can I expect the new graphics once I'm actually into the main campaign?

Oh, one thing I forgot to add that probably has you guys not being able to run the game with the good graphics.

On the launcher, select the MOD option and choose the folder "media VP's".

The Media.vp files are the good stuff, I think they'll only load if you do that (many of us just simply carry those files in our root directory though so I didn't think about having to say this).

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

Oh, one thing I forgot to add that probably has you guys not being able to run the game with the good graphics.

On the launcher, select the MOD option and choose the folder "media VP's".

The Media.vp files are the good stuff, I think they'll only load if you do that (many of us just simply carry those files in our root directory though so I didn't think about having to say this).

But the launcher has "-mediavps" added to the automatically, no matter what option you choose for easy setup. What if I want to play fsport? Don't I need to have that selected under mod and not mediavps? And what about simply moving those files in the root directory like you?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    FSPort is Freespace 1. It comes with its own VP's, models, textures etc. as far as I'm aware, so the mediavp's wouldn't be doing anything for that one specifically.

I didn't exactly play much of the other campaigns so I don't know how they would work with the mediavp's, however yeah, I keep them in my root directory so that they function with the game automatically (where needed) without having to select them either way, be it necessary or not.
    Evangir wrote: »
    Providing an on-topic bump...

Do we have anyone here who played some SquadWar, or made an interesting mission in FRED2? I've always wondered if anyone I knew back then posted on these forums. I used to play as RN-Wulfbane, and I designed the mission "A Stalwart Defence" that was very well reviewed.

Anyone?

Haha, you're one of the Roughnecks. I eventually got Rogue into the SSC by the end of it you know.

I'm from the SSC, you might've known them as the Black Widows, I was from the Burning Stars. We were the last ones to win the league before the thing was shut down.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh god damnit you guys. I can't find my discs anywhere..I think I might have lent them out. I must find them! I'm on an old PC game playing rampage. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is in the queue for when I get my spare Win 98 drive up and running. This will be next!

Also: I don't remember the OP that well. If there are no links to the graphical mods (and any other badass mods) could someone point me to a few?

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2008
    FSPort is Freespace 1. It comes with its own VP's, models, textures etc. as far as I'm aware, so the mediavp's wouldn't be doing anything for that one specifically.

I didn't exactly play much of the other campaigns so I don't know how they would work with the mediavp's, however yeah, I keep them in my root directory so that they function with the game automatically (where needed) without having to select them either way, be it necessary or not.

You don't use the launcher version, eh? You can't play Freespace 1 on it's own. It launches within Freespace 2. It's the only way to play it, and you can only select one mod at a time. The mediavp is added to the .exe command line so it should work without having to select it. The only thing is the tutorial ships don't look improved, and I'm just hoping that everything in the campaign is, while the tutorial isn't. I haven't had a chance to actually get that far yet, but I'll try later today.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes, I know that, but we're talking about which assets are used within the game.

When you select FSPort, you are selecting specific assets that will be run, specific models, specific ships (meaning the regulars won't load). Those assets are entierly dependant upon what is in the VP's of that specific campaign. Media VP's will do you no good, since those assets are used on the FS2 stuff (FS1 stuff is entierly separate, which is why you have it in its own folders).

You are right though, I would have imagined the mediavp's would run with the -mvp tag, but I was just throwing out the possibility you may want to try setting it as a mod folder if it doesn't load as ordinary. Also, another thing that can be attempted is putting them in the root directory. But AFAIK they should display as set up by the installer.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm having a hell of a time downloading this game. It seems the download always freezes at one point or another....

Zenitram on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

You don't use the launcher version, eh? You can't play Freespace 1 on it's own. It launches within Freespace 2. It's the only way to play it, and you can only select one mod at a time. The mediavp is added to the .exe command line so it should work without having to select it. The only thing is the tutorial ships don't look improved, and I'm just hoping that everything in the campaign is, while the tutorial isn't. I haven't had a chance to actually get that far yet, but I'll try later today.

Putting the mediavps in the root directory can cause some bad, bad problems. I learned the hard way, and ended up having to wipe out my whole install to get most campaigns with custom ships to run.

What you should do is go into the mod folder you're running and find or create mod.ini. Here's the one from fsport:
    [launcher]
    infotext = FreeSpace 1, now ported to run on the FreeSpace 2 engine.;
    website = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
    forum = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html;

[multimod]
    primarylist = ;
    secondrylist = ,mediavps;

[settings]

All you need to make sure mediavps is being used is secondrylist = ,mediavps; in the multimod section.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hevach wrote: »

Putting the mediavps in the root directory can cause some bad, bad problems. I learned the hard way, and ended up having to wipe out my whole install to get most campaigns with custom ships to run.

What you should do is go into the mod folder you're running and find or create mod.ini. Here's the one from fsport:
    [launcher]

[multimod]
    primarylist = ;

[settings]

All you need to make sure mediavps is being used is secondrylist = ,mediavps; in the multimod section.

Thanks. It's already in there, though. Honestly, the new textures and so forth are probably working, it's just they probably didn't do any work on the tutorial ships. The tutorial ships that I'm seeing in both FS1 and FS2 don't appear to have any changes done to them. And that's as far as I got in the game. I didn't have much time to play it last night, and I'll play more later today. In fact, screw sleep, I'll play more now and see if everything is working. The ships should look all new and shiny, right?

Dashui on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

[launcher]

[multimod]
    primarylist = ;

[settings]

Thanks. It's already in there, though. Honestly, the new textures and so forth are probably working, it's just they probably didn't do any work on the tutorial ships. The tutorial ships that I'm seeing in both FS1 and FS2 don't appear to have any changes done to them. And that's as far as I got in the game. I didn't have much time to play it last night, and I'll play more later today. In fact, screw sleep, I'll play more now and see if everything is working. The ships should look all new and shiny, right?

The drones haven't gotten HTL models as far as I know. They did get slightly improved textues at one point, but wether they made it into the game or not I'm not sure. FS2 you should notice it particularly with the instructor's Perseus. FS1 it doesn't show up in the tutorials because even the improved Apollo is still a brick with chimneys. If you move in really close to the instructor's ship Perseus in FS2, you should notice much more contouring and some small details. Some ships have even been given detailed cockpits, and you can see the pilot. I don't remember offhand if they did this to the Perseus or not.

It's not strikingly different until capital ships start showing up, though the Herc 1 and Erinyes fighters are pretty good for showing off the model work.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

[launcher]

[multimod]
    primarylist = ;

[settings]

The drones haven't gotten HTL models as far as I know. They did get slightly improved textues at one point, but wether they made it into the game or not I'm not sure. FS2 you should notice it particularly with the instructor's Perseus. FS1 it doesn't show up in the tutorials because even the improved Apollo is still a brick with chimneys. If you move in really close to the instructor's ship Perseus in FS2, you should notice much more contouring and some small details. Some ships have even been given detailed cockpits, and you can see the pilot. I don't remember offhand if they did this to the Perseus or not.

It's not strikingly different until capital ships start showing up, though the Herc 1 and Erinyes fighters are pretty good for showing off the model work.

Thanks for the info. Anyways, this is hard as hell to play on with the keyboard. My fingers are all over the place and it feels weird. Is there any way to enable mouse movement? It seems that it would be more precise that way instead of moving with the number pad and firing with the left control button.

Dashui on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God dammit you guys, now I'm gonna have to spend several days in front of my PC playing FS/FS2 with all the new graphical goodies and mods. All because of you.
    <3<3<3

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    All this makes me hope is that those indie space combat games coming out of mainland Europe and Russia will eventually lead to a classic game that I can finally play alongside Freespace. The current crop hasn't been up to that level but they've been decent so far, so I'm more than willing to wait.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Ooh. Privateer. I loved it. Had a pimped-out Centurion with a hidden unscannable compartment to smuggle shit in.

Was that Privateer, or The Darkening? I remember trying to play the first one, and just couldn't get on with it. Then we got 2, and the chance to roam space as Clive Owen was too good to pass up, and I loved every minute of that thing. Story and all.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok I have a problem. I downloaded Freespace 2 from the link provided in the OP and have installed the game. When I try to run it, or anything else Freespace related I get this error: "OpenAL32.dll was not found".

I've already uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Am I doing something wrong or what?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Ok I have a problem. I downloaded Freespace 2 from the link provided in the OP and have installed the game. When I try to run it, or anything else Freespace related I get this error: "OpenAL32.dll was not found".

I've already uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Am I doing something wrong or what?

Install OpenAL?

And can someone tell me if it's possible to play with the mouse? The keyboard controls are horrendous.

Dashui on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So what kind of system do you need to run the updated versions here? I'm working with a 3 year old compy, though I'll have a 1 year old lappy in a couple days...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Axen wrote: »

Install OpenAL?

And can someone tell me if it's possible to play with the mouse? The keyboard controls are horrendous.

Ask on HLP (link in first post).

I know for a fact it's possible, the three of us who were best, used all three control schemes (I used joystick, first friend used keyboard, second friend mouse - all had benefits and drawbacks, so it evens out whichever you master).

I just don't remember how to set it up so it works (ingame options are extensive, and I never was concerned with it).

Also, if you want the bump mapping and the latest graphics that make it look exactly like the screenshots(got released today), go here for the latest media VP's (replace the ones you got with the launcher), and follow the link to the latest build from there as well. I'll update the first post with this as well.
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So what kind of system do you need to run the updated versions here? I'm working with a 3 year old compy, though I'll have a 1 year old lappy in a couple days...

Depends on how you set up your options. It's like with most games today, flip options on, flip options off. It doesn't take a BEHEMOTH to run it, but the video card has to be fairly recent.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, BlackDove. So I just have to download those, replace the old files with these new ones, and I should have ever prettier graphics. Yay.

And just to confirm again, I don't need to select mediavps as a mod with the launcher for the pretty graphics if the .exe has -mediavps in the command line, correct? Just select fsport, and I should be able to play Freespace in shiny new glory.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I've just tried it.

Though bear in mind, some of the FS1 ships are just ports in the sense, taken out of FS1 and stuck into FS2. FS1 wasn't ever really part of the FSOpen project, it was made like a user made campaign (just ported to work with FS2). Some of the ships will be low poly, but they'll have all the dazzle applied (shine, spec, etc.) to them as well.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyone know why I'm having trouble downloading? I've tried the .zip version and the Java version, and both downloads get cranking and then just stop/freeze at some point, I don't even know how far they have left to go.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No idea, sorry, you might want to go ask the people on HLP (link in first post), they might know something about it (so far I've never heard of anyone having problems with it). Shove the question into General Freespace, or better yet, into the thread where you get the installer from in the first place.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh and I meant to ask, how big is the folder when installing is completely done?

Zenitram on