As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Desperate critique

Drakkar11Drakkar11 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Artist's Corner
I put doing these off until today and I only have one more day to finish both. Please tear them apart starting with the most absolutely horrible thing(s) about them. Also suggestion things that should be added and stuff instead of just critiquing whats there.
ghostchasecopy.jpg

sorry about the big blank space on the left of the second one, nothings going there.

by the way, the orange in the water is the beginning of a reflection
lksdakadfcopy.jpg

Drakkar11 on

• Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have nothing to do right now, so I'll hit something about the first one.

It's extremley confusing. I couldn't tell if he was laying on the floor or if he was standing leaning on a wall, or what. He looks removed from the floor. There should be some redness reflecting onto him from the carpet, or a shadow from him onto the carpet. Someone better than me will come along and give you more specific advice, but that's comething you could work on now.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah hes supposed to be like reachign for a door handle but i guess it sucks huh you cant really see what his hands are doing.. and i didnt shadow him or anything, all the angels are really off too, huh

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Seems like your going for something a bit abstract, but the lack of direction and theme makes them both look like bundles of just random elements. For example, in the second one, he's just sorta holding his hand out towards 'nothing' while being surrounded in a very interchangeable background. Additionally, it's very obvious you used a prepackaged brush for the grass, which is ok if used sparingly and appropriately but you are far better off creating your own textured brushes or spending time detailing the many intricate blades within the focal areas. There is some lighting inconsistency with the figure and many numerous anatomy problems as well. All can be fixed with time and practice.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BTW, never, ever use the "Grass" brush to paint grass.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BTW, never, ever use the "Grass" brush to paint grass.
    But it's so realistic.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the replys

the grass was actually me drawing lines and copying the layers and altering them but with the time constraints i didnt really put effort into altering them much at all, if any.

in the end i ended up trashing them anyway, but thanks for the replies in any case.

Drakkar11 on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    remember as you make the reflection that you have running water there. and from the distance of the waterfall the river is probably fast moving. there would be very little if ANY reflection

NakedZergling on