As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me select an HDTV!

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
OK, so around tax return season, I'm going to want to upgrade from a 19 inch Phillips SDTV to a 32 inch LCD TV.

However, I have quite a bit of standard definition content, like PS2 games, the Wii, and too many DVDs to replace with something in a high definition format. The TV would basically see high definition content from the XBOX 360 mostly, and I think 720p would be a fine maximum resolution. My price point would ideally be no more than stretching out 700 to 800 bucks, with the hope that in 4 or five months the price would bottom out a bit.

So school me. I need a 32 inch HDTV that will make XBOX 360 games look amazing, but also not drive my standard def content into the ground. Best brands for upscaling, specific models, anything.

Thanks in advance, guys.

EDIT: I R stoopid and wrote 37inch instead of 32 inch. My bad.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I suggest checking out the TVs over at Amazon, doing some reading of the customer reviews, and then coming back with some specific models. Other wise, the best I can say is Vizio is a popular cheaper brand that gets good reviews, for its price.

How far away are you going to be sitting from the TV?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I suggest checking out the TVs over at Amazon, doing some reading of the customer reviews, and then coming back with some specific models. Other wise, the best I can say is Vizio is a popular cheaper brand that gets good reviews, for its price.

How far away are you going to be sitting from the TV?

I'll be sitting probably around 5 or 6 feet away from the new TV, but since I don't have a couch right now I've only been sitting around 2 feet away from my current TV.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    LCDs and plasmas are still very much you get what you pay for. If you wait 1 month, how much more could you add to your TV budget? $800 could definitly get you a decent set, but if you can get that higher, well, all the better, as $800 for a TV that size is kind of low. And then hey, maybe you can also get a BIGGER set.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    This is the TV I bought after quite a bit of shopping around. It has everything you need, amazing contrast ratio (8000 to 1) and an 8ms response time. You won't find a better TV for the price. Also the design of the TV is really nice.

Fizban140 on