As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serious Games Research

onidavinonidavin Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy everyone. I'm a PA fan who works at a research joint down in Central Florida, and we're doing some work on serious games for learning. We need some participants for an online card sort / survey to help cluster gaming attributes for later in the project. Since the outcome relates heavily to something PA fans are generally interested in (making games not suck, making serious games more credible), I figured I'd post here and try to get some help.

Because of research ethics stuff, I have to post a big disclaimer below. Hopefully you can give us a hand! The card sort task and post-task survey takes about 4 minutes tops, and is totally anonymous. Just fill in a fake name (or your screenname or handle or whatever you'd like) and you're set. Thanks for the help, and if this is the wrong forum for this, please move it -- I don't want to spam up discussion.

--
Hello! You are being messaged to request participation in video game research by Dr. Eduardo Salas of the University of Central Florida.

We have created a fairly comprehensive list of gaming attributes - a list of various characteristics of games. For research purposes, we want to narrow this list to a more manageable number of variables and are thus asking for your help.

If you play or develop computer-based games, are 18 years of age or older, and are familiar with the likes of Halo, The Age of Empires III, and Neverwinter Nights, then we need your help! We have entered each attribute along with the definition we are using into a user-friendly web-based program. Using this program, you will be able drag each gaming characteristic into a new group, creating meaningful clusters. You can even suggest names for the new groups. The link below will take you directly to a voluntary, anonymous online survey. You begin by entering a pseudonym or fake name. Directions for using the program will then be presented on the following screen. Please only follow this link if you are a serious gamer. We appreciate your help.

Note: When you enter your pseudonym or fake name, please write it down or remember it, as it will be important later!

http://websort.net/go/IGAME/!Please%20Enter%20a%20Fake%20Name%20or%20Handle

If you have any questions as to participation in this study, you can e-mail Davin Pavlas (Research Assistant) at dpavlas@ist.ucf.edu.

Research at the University of Central Florida involving human participants is carried out under the oversight of the Institutional Review Board (UCF IRB). For information about the rights of people who take part in research, please contact: Institutional Review Board, University of Central Florida, Office of Research & Commercialization, 12201 Research Parkway, Suite 501, Orlando, FL 32826-3246 or by telephone at (407) 823-2901.

der+Davin.png
onidavin on

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The survey seems really abstract. Though I love surveys, researchers, and video games, I have to wonder exactly how useful to developers the info gained from this thing is.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    The survey seems really abstract. Though I love surveys, researchers, and video games, I have to wonder exactly how useful to developers the info gained from this thing is.

This survey is part of a larger project. This part is just to provide more effective clustering of the matrix so we can whittle the attributes down to a more testable list. Once we have that list, an actual product will be developed with varying levels of the attributes and be used to train marines. Varying the attribute levels will allow us to compare the training outcome with the attributes changed.

This part is the unexciting preparation, but it has a cool and useful end. Very little research is done into the area of why game-based learning is actually effective. Exciting! To someone nerdy like me :)

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heh, interesting survey with the grouping's you have here. Well, can't wait to see the reasults from it!

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yep, pretty abstract. I did it, though. It was interesting.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Popping you over to H/A where your thread may not get buried as fast.

Enjoy you helpful advisers, you!

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Popping you over to H/A where your thread may not get buried as fast.

Enjoy you helpful advisers, you!

Appreciated! :D

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I took the survey..... odd, but cool

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Never took a survey like that before. It was neat though.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all your responses so far. Posting on PA has definitely helped increase our N, though amusingly the amount of male correspondents to female correspondents is now massively skewed ;)

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    onidavin wrote: »
    the amount of male correspondents to female correspondents is now massively skewed ;)
    It's only skewed if it's not representative of the sample population. Your sample population now has a big segment called "people who are really into games, read the PA forums, and are willing to self-select for a game-oriented survey." Oddly enough, said population is going to tend strongly to feature dangly bits in their nether regions.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    the amount of male correspondents to female correspondents is now massively skewed ;)
    It's only skewed if it's not representative of the sample population. Your sample population now has a big segment called "people who are really into games, read the PA forums, and are willing to self-select for a game-oriented survey." Oddly enough, said population is going to tend strongly to feature dangly bits in their nether regions.

Just some gentle teasing at our dangly-bit-heavy community :)

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    We'd be happy to get some more replies from you rascally Penny Arcaders. Thanks for all of the information so far!

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After you finish the sorting thing, and answer the questions that follow... Is that it? It took me to a new screen that was asking for a username/password and I didn't have one.

Otherwise: That was pretty tough. I couldn't come up with very good group names. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    After you finish the sorting thing, and answer the questions that follow... Is that it? It took me to a new screen that was asking for a username/password and I didn't have one.

Otherwise: That was pretty tough. I couldn't come up with very good group names. :)

That's it :) It is a pretty difficult task, but the names matter less than how you grouped them, it's all about the relationships of what you put together. Thanks for the help!

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

That's it :) It is a pretty difficult task, but the names matter less than how you grouped them, it's all about the relationships of what you put together. Thanks for the help!

Cool. I liked it. Hope it goes well for you.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Taking right now.

[EDIT] Completed. Left a nice, long comment.

Daemonion on