As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unfinished Business

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Rarely do I finish a game completely in a single run. By "completely", I'm referring to all side missions, extra scenarios, bonus dungeons and the like. With almost all of my games, I have something to go back to.

Mostly this is done intentionally, as an excuse to replay a game. Other times it's from disinterest. I already spent 50 hours finishing an RPG, I don't feel like throwing in an additional 50 just to grind to finish a bonus dungeon.

But with the start of the new year, I'm planning to go back to most of my games and take care of the unfinished business I have with them. What are some of your unfinished side-quests/bonuses you'd like to go back to?

Currently I'm looking into revisiting Dragon Quest VIII. The main storyline was one of my favorite RPGs for the Playstation 2 (maybe my favorite, period), but I've yet to fully traverse the bonus dungeon (which I believe unveils the secret with the hero's pet rodent). I plan to take a week or two to complete the dungeon in full.

I imagine most entries will be similarly RPG related.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    At some point I will go back and get those last three orb thingys in Jak and Daxter.

japan on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh God, it's so not worth it. I mean sure, it's nice to brag about getting it done, but the extra cutscene was such bullshit.

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I need to pick up Jak and Daxter again. Such a shame that 2 and 3 were such utter shash.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh God, it's so not worth it. I mean sure, it's nice to brag about getting it done, but the extra cutscene was such bullshit.

I have like 97 out of 100, it doesn't seem like it would be much extra effort. I do remember one of them being somewhat awkwardly placed.

Are 2 & 3 not very good? I keep seeing them for cheap, and thinking about picking them up.

japan on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    3 was good. 2 was way too hard for its own good.

I wasn't too impressed with all 3 of them, though I can see why they were lauded upon release.

Renzo on
    edited January 2008
    I find 2 and 3 to be vastly superior to the original game. It's really a preference, I suppose, but to me it changes "cute but generic platformer" into "futuristic and gritty shooting with generic platformer parts".

3 is the most polished of the games.

• OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    japan wrote: »

I have like 97 out of 100, it doesn't seem like it would be much extra effort. I do remember one of them being somewhat awkwardly placed.

Are 2 & 3 not very good? I keep seeing them for cheap, and thinking about picking them up.

I personally loved 2 & 3

2 is pretty difficult but not nearly as hard as it usually made out to be

Ohtsam on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thought 2 was great, but 3 was kinda unfocused. A lot of the time I had no idea why I was doing the missions.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    May we kindly get back on the thread topic?

I also haven't finished FFIV GBA's optional dungeons. I only did the extra event with Rydia, being that Rydia is the only one I give a damn about.

Also, I still have one ending left in Silent Hill 4 I'd like to see.

• ldrawldraw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One thing I know I'll never do but willl likely attempt again in the future: go back and get all the boss medals in Megaman ZX Advent on Expert.

Some of those are just...implausible.

ldraw on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AKA: mdraw, dux, milkman
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dark Cloud 2. There's a lot of unfinished business in that game for me.

All of the female character's monster transformations, for example. I played as a monster once when I had to (I think?), and then never went back to it again.

I also lost interest with the epilogue dungeon. Isn't it 100 floors? I didn't make it too far in there. Like the OP said, I'd already spent a ton of time on the game already.

But perhaps this year, I'll get that urge to get all the monster transformations, or do the 100-floor dungeon, or do the 100-floor dungeon using only monster transformations.

SteevL on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One day I'll kill Omega Weapon in FF8 without using invincibility items. One day.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Jak and Daxter is an incredible game, but there really isn't much of a reward for getting all of the Precursor Orbs, other than being able to post on a webforum how awesome you are that you all all of the Precursor Orbs like I am right now.

I've got a few manufacturer's races left in Gran Turismo 2 that I need to finish to get 100% (or, well, 98.2% haha), a few emblems to get in Sonic Adventure, I want to go back and get the Lawn Gnome into space achievement in HL2:E2, and I have one fucking silver key left to find in Fable The Lost Chapters.

Odds are these things will just be pushed back as my backlog grows ever larger.

Einhander on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If I can get my bloody PAL PlayStation 2 working on any of the bloody TVs here in bloody Americaland, I might just finish Silent Hill 2.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My girlfriend beat Castlevania on hard mode last year and my status as a gamer was challenged. Or felt it. Because I had never beaten Castlevania in all the years I've had it. So I spent two weeks trying to beat it and finally got around to it. But hard mode? Ha, yeah fucking right.

... Well, maybe one day.

Edit - Yes, this is unfinished business. Any game that anyone has owned for 20 years that has yet to be beaten / mastered qualifies.

Henroid on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Italax wrote: »
    One day I'll kill Omega Weapon in FF8 without using invincibility items. One day.

Are you sure? Because I played a relatively low-level run (remember, enemies scale to your party level in 8) with retardedly enhanced stats through the junctioning system, and I still went through about 12 holy wars during my battle with him. He has a retarded amount of attacks that instantly kill the whole party.

I think the only way I could have been more prepared for him would be to spend days using the devour command to inflate my stats to their max and go after the last sword for Squall, which requires items you can't get at low levels. So I'd have to do a little bit of leveling, which would also make Omega stronger. I'm not sure how good that trade-off would be.

Ballman on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Someday I'll continue my 85-hour save on Dragon Quest 8.

Someday I'll go back to trying to beat the last boss of Phantom Hourglass again. It's not the boss that's hard, it's the stupid thing you have to draw that my DS won't register. I spent TWO HOURS running around trying to use that "special attack."

Samphis on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hear there was an extra cutscene if you collected all the doohickeys in Psychonauts. No, I'm not going to collect them myself but I will look through the video files on the PC version and see if I can't find it.

emnmnme on
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Life is too short, and there are too many good games, to be bothered by completeism.

I only do that crap on days when I'm sick and don't go to work, but I'm well enough to watch tv.

ThrustinJ on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ballman wrote: »

Are you sure? Because I played a relatively low-level run (remember, enemies scale to your party level in 8) with retardedly enhanced stats through the junctioning system, and I still went through about 12 holy wars during my battle with him. He has a retarded amount of attacks that instantly kill the whole party.

I think the only way I could have been more prepared for him would be to spend days using the devour command to inflate my stats to their max and go after the last sword for Squall, which requires items you can't get at low levels. So I'd have to do a little bit of leveling, which would also make Omega stronger. I'm not sure how good that trade-off would be.

You can apparently do it by maxing your characters luck stat and praying you get phoenix after his meteor attack.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still trying to find all of the treasures in Uncharted. And unlock all the rewards.

Some of the most fun grinding I've ever had.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
    edited January 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    Dark Cloud 2. There's a lot of unfinished business in that game for me.

All of the female character's monster transformations, for example. I played as a monster once when I had to (I think?), and then never went back to it again.

I also lost interest with the epilogue dungeon. Isn't it 100 floors? I didn't make it too far in there. Like the OP said, I'd already spent a ton of time on the game already.

But perhaps this year, I'll get that urge to get all the monster transformations, or do the 100-floor dungeon, or do the 100-floor dungeon using only monster transformations.

I need to finish Dark Cloud 2, period. And I went through maybe 10 floors of Dark Cloud's 100-floor dungeon before getting tired.

The one factor that motivates me to play through an RPG's extra dungeon is if it includes new story elements (which DQVIII supposedly does). Otherwise, I can live without earning some super deluxe weapon that would just one-hit all the bosses that I'm strong enough to beat bare-handed at that point.

Man, I wish I could remember exactly what I did to beat Omega Weapon. All I know is that I encountered him before the final boss, took about two attempts, but I managed to beat him the second time. I remember it being a really intense fight, but again I don't remember exactly how I beat him.
    Henroid wrote: »
    My girlfriend beat Castlevania on hard mode last year and my status as a gamer was challenged. Or felt it. Because I had never beaten Castlevania in all the years I've had it. So I spent two weeks trying to beat it and finally got around to it. But hard mode? Ha, yeah fucking right.

... Well, maybe one day.

Edit - Yes, this is unfinished business. Any game that anyone has owned for 20 years that has yet to be beaten / mastered qualifies.

Which Castlevania is this? It's been a while, but I don't recall the NES original having a hard mode.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You get to the hard mode of the game after beating it once. Like, immediately after. It's bullshit.

Henroid on