As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking Consoles Overseas

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
If anyone could help me with this, it would ease my mind greatly.

So After 5 years in the UK, I'm moving back to settle in New Zealand.

I have a UK Xbox w/ games.

Should I take it with me? Will it work? If I buy games in NZ, will they play on it? I keep seeing conflicting reports. Has anyone done this? My fiance and I really want a Wii too - but I dont want to buy one just in case it wont work when I travel home either.

Help me H/A!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    original Xbox? Most games are region locked. It looks like Australia uses PAL though, so you should be set.

Wii is region free.

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    According the the NZ Xbox site, they use PAL too.

Sam on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not to bump this but the Wii is most assuredly not region free.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    It should work, although I can't remember if you'll need a different plug for the wall socket. New games might be tricky.

I wouldn't get any new stuff until after you move, saves hassle. And possible loss/breakage in transit, which would totally suck.

Also i am moving this.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the move.

The plug (power) is different in shape but not much else - an adapter or quick refit can sort that - I just dont like the idea of:

A) Not being able to buy new games (except via Import)
    [/B]B)[/B] Its bricked...

Maybe I should sell it before I go.

PS The above comments about the Wii is exactly what I've been coming up against... Conflicting storeis.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The UK and Australia/New Zealand are the same region as far as I'm aware for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. I know Australian GameCube games work on a UK 'Cube, so would imagine the Wii would be the same.

For DVDs, the UK is region 2 while New Zealand is region 4; a lot of BBC DVDs are both regions, but obviously check before you go. The colour system is PAL for both, and I believe NZ is on the same 230V / 50Hz power system as the UK, so a plug convertor should be all you need.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    The UK and Australia/New Zealand are the same region as far as I'm aware for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. I know Australian GameCube games work on a UK 'Cube, so would imagine the Wii would be the same.

For DVDs, the UK is region 2 while New Zealand is region 4; a lot of BBC DVDs are both regions, but obviously check before you go. The colour system is PAL for both, and I believe NZ is on the same 230V / 50Hz power system as the UK, so a plug convertor should be all you need.

I think I might love you.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One tries his humble best. :) Australasia and the UK being the same console region has helped me in the past, so always good to be able to pass it on.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]