As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Efficiency Apartment?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking at apartments for my new job online, and I was wondering what the hell does an "efficiency" apartment mean?

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Usually a single room with a closet and a bathroom, kitchenette in a corner. There may or may not be a pull down bed, it really just depends.

I've also seen them called bachelor apartments in other regions.

Solandra on
  • BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Same idea as a studio apartment, I think they may be the same thing in fact

When you see one bedroom apartment they mean you have living crap, like an area for a TV and a couch, a kitchen, a dining area, and then the one bedroom. They may be absurdly cheaper, but I'm living in a one bedroom apartment at 683 square feet, I'm single, I work 8 hours a day so I'm not even that home often, and when moving out I was like "durr I don't need much space" but now 6 months later I'm signed up to transfer into a slightly more expensive but 300 square feet bigger 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment, just so all my crap's not on top of itself

Edit: I'm comparing a one bedroom apartment to an effciency apartment, 1BR=/=efficiency, was my point, I think I made that unclear sorry. The efficiency is like the one bedroom....minus the bedroom

BlochWave on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, gotcha. For some reason "efficiency" struck me as a weird term to use, I shall definitely be going the one bedroom route.

MegaMan001 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That wall and door that separates an efficiency from a studio makes a big difference in cost. I paid 300 a month for my first bachelor pad in college, which was a living room/kitchen, and then a separate bedroom, bathroom, and closet, but the efficiencies which just had one giant room, bathroom, closet, with a small divider wall that was incomplete, were only $200, and it was pretty much the same amount of space.

They're fine though, it gives you a chance to put those old school tetris skills to good use. Invest in a nice fouton and some corner desk type furniture.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That wall and door that separates an efficiency from a studio makes a big difference in cost. I paid 300 a month for my first bachelor pad in college, which was a living room/kitchen, and then a separate bedroom, bathroom, and closet, but the efficiencies which just had one giant room, bathroom, closet, with a small divider wall that was incomplete, were only $200, and it was pretty much the same amount of space.

They're fine though, it gives you a chance to put those old school tetris skills to good use. Invest in a nice fouton and some corner desk type furniture.

Right now from what I'm seeing online for prices, efficiency only saves me a couple hundred dollars a month - which with my new job isn't really necessary. Also, I think I need a separate room to house my 46 inch LCD I just bought.

MegaMan001 on
  • BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yah those numbers he posted seem weird. For starters I live in a cheap area and my one room is 635 a month, and the two bedroom will cost me like 720, but I guess he may've been on a college campus.

I never specifically looked for efficiencies but aren't they usually like 400 square feet or so. A hundred dollars more for 200 or so square feet seems like a good deal

BlochWave on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BlochWave wrote: »
    Yah those numbers he posted seem weird. For starters I live in a cheap area and my one room is 635 a month, and the two bedroom will cost me like 720, but I guess he may've been on a college campus.

I never specifically looked for efficiencies but aren't they usually like 400 square feet or so. A hundred dollars more for 200 or so square feet seems like a good deal

those numbers were on a college campus. I still wouldn't pay more than 400 for an efficiency though, unless it's in some megacity

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?