As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2008

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry bout that, was being lazy. Which isn't good because the CCST is 3 WEEKS AWAY!!!

excuse me while I run away screaming...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Crecente has basically written a post for us!
    Let me start by saying that, yes, I do know that each year massive groups of die-hard Penny-Arcade fans ban together to drive through the day and night to get to the expo. In fact, the Cross-Country Super Trip was one of the inspirations for my decision to drive instead of fly to Penny Arcade Expo this year.

There are two reasons I'm not joining the CCST: I'm going with my wife and son and neither are big fans of overnight drives. Also, while I could detour to meet up with one of the groups, none of them come through Colorado. I know, I suck.

I'm still working out the details for my own drive, but this is what I'm thinking:

My plan is for us to take two days to get to Seattle, mostly because we like to sleep in a hotel. I think I'll be leaving the morning of August 27 and driving about halfway (which will put us somewhere in Idaho). Then the next day we'll drive the rest of the way to Seattle. That's two 10 hour or so drives.

If there is any interest in joining up with us in your own vehicles I can set up meeting locations or routes so we can stick together. I see this drive as sort of a test run. If enough Kotaku readers plan on driving and like the idea of traveling together, we may expand this next year and even have someone (coughfaheycough) drive from the East Coast and meet up with me in Colorado and then carry on to Seattle. In fact, I've even had some gaming companies offer to set up pit stops in parking lots with food and maybe even games.

But before we get to that point I want to do a dry run. So is there anyone interested in joining us on this short trip this year?

Those are the perks of being super Internet famous you guys. Free games, free food.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Sounds more like he's horning in. The CCST has never run through Colorado. He's clearly trying to set up one of his own using his connections to get people who go with him bonus shit.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Sounds more like he's horning in. The CCST has never run through Colorado. He's clearly trying to set up one of his own using his connections to get people who go with him bonus shit.

Photoshop Challenge!
    Crecente "horning in" on Moe and/or the CCST.

GO!

Crecente pics.
    Horn pics.
    Moe pic. Moe pic 2. Moe pic the third. Pic 4.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    After reading the comments to that post he made. I don't really think he could pull off a full on CCST-style caravan. With or without industry support. Especially if he's bringing his family along every year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    We learned that lesson the first year... I wonder if he'll do the same?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I received a t shirt and my handbook today!
    Front
    photo-9.jpg
    Back
    photo-10.jpg

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This message is to remind everybody to read and respond to Moe's e-mail. And if you haven't gotten Moe's e-mail... PM Moe.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    crecentecrecente Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Neah, I'm not trying to horn in. Just doing my own thing and inviting others to join me. Also, I said no to the free crap. This is more of a test run than anything else. If it turns out that Kotaku readers seem interested I'll probably do a bigger one next year, but again it's more about a longer, slower journey to PAX. I don't see it as CCST competition at all. In fact I'll make it a point to keep pointing people to what you all do.

crecente on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the CCST is awesome, but I can understand why people might want to do a more leisurely one, especially if they're bringing children with them.

On that note Moe, you'd better be organizing CCST: West to East in 2010 so I can destroy myself.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the support. Good luck on the longer slower journey. I'll track you down at PAX and we can compare stories.

edit:
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    the CCST is awesome, but I can understand why people might want to do a more leisurely one, especially if they're bringing children with them.

On that note Moe, you'd better be organizing CCST: West to East in 2010 so I can destroy myself.

deadmetal and I will make sure it happens with just as much force as the original CCST.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    you know if E-PAX is anywhere east of Detroit, I'm all for jumping on.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    crecente wrote: »
    Neah, I'm not trying to horn in. Just doing my own thing and inviting others to join me. Also, I said no to the free crap. This is more of a test run than anything else. If it turns out that Kotaku readers seem interested I'll probably do a bigger one next year, but again it's more about a longer, slower journey to PAX. I don't see it as CCST competition at all. In fact I'll make it a point to keep pointing people to what you all do.

Then it would be nice if you explain it in that manner to your readers and not to us. It is great that the trip we performed for the last couple years inspired you to try your own with your family. It is an honor to change someone's life for the better and we wish you the best of luck in it. However your recent posts to your page for hype contradict this type of attitude towards the trip.

You try to make it seem like we don't know what we are doing, and you claim to have such better ideas for it. You promise free food and waypoints with all your commercial connections and hookups. ( coke and hookers parties ) You make a presentation to the public that undermines our trip and the trust we spent building with other gamers to make our trip happen. I am not jealous, because it comes off sad and pathetic. You have no idea the great lengths that people like Moe, myself, Qs23, Thanda, and countless others have made to make this trip happen. We have put our own health on the line to make sure people who join up and travel with us have a good trip and make it home safely. This is trust that can't be bought or presented by a company. Your description of the voyage, your "trip" cross country is very much like the Woodstock 99 to our Woodstock.

I can only hope your commercial appeal in this gaming ritual to build trust and bring people together for something that could drastically change their lives will work out to anything but a bad B-rated horror movie. Please do not come on to these forums to apologize to us for "horning in", do it on your blog to your readers. That's where the chaos/insults/hype/praise was started. We wish you luck in your voyage and hope good times to all.

Even though we disagree on this one thing, we do appreciate everything else you have done for the gaming community. We hope you see that.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    bliccabliccabliccablicca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone taking the I-90 route have space for another passenger? I live in Spokane, so I'd be right on the way, and I'd only have to be squished in for about five hours.

bliccablicca on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We dont, uh, actually stop in Spokane. We stop in Coeur D'Alene and Ellensburg.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    bliccabliccabliccablicca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh. I could probably do CDA. I can usually con my roommate into giving me a ride. ^.^

bliccablicca on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ya know, I could most likely ferry this guy to E-burg if not Seattle, and we could throw him in with the E-burg people if needed.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just a reminder to everybody. Tonight's the night I'm on Evil Avatar Radio. The show starts at 8pm EDT/5pm PDT and I'll be on at the top of the second hour (9pm EDT). They'll be taking calls to, so you can call and talk with me. Try not to just call to say hi though, like a few people did last year. At least have a question or something.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    At least have a question or something.

You better have a list of all the Power Ranger's names and their color or else you will look like a fool.
    Not that anyone would call in and ask such a stupid question.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Moe, you should have a rule that anybody who calls and asks a stupid question gets punished somehow... maybe a jailing or something?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Moe, you should have a rule that anybody who calls and asks a stupid question gets punished somehow... maybe a jailing or something?

Novel idea but could be WAAAAY too easily abused. Example, "Hi, this is (insert forum name of someone other than you). Im a tard and gonna ask a really stupid question now."

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well it didn't really matter since there were no phone calls during the interview.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    True true. By the way did anyone else think moe got screwed over on the amount of time he got on the program. I think the guy who did Braid got a whole hour and Moe gets 23 minutes?? What the crap?!? Moe deserves more, LOL.

Overall though i thought the interview was pretty cool. Still wish moe would have ripped cresente a new one on air, now that would have made an interview, LOL. :)

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know. all of us in the chat room for the station was all trying to egg the hosts on to ask about it.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, i saw that. I think the hosts knew about the situation in some small amount and likely were trying to avoid the issue. Oh well, we still know cresente is a douche and thats all that matters.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For those that want...Epic Default had Moe on for the last two episodes of their podcast, and the most recent we spent most of the time talking about the CCST.

You can find it here

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well if we're talking Moe and podcasts, we just had Moe on for his annual guest spot. The CCST wasn't on the list of topics, but you know trying to talk to Moe means talking about the CCST.

JonnyNero, as soon as I get my desktop up, you've got another subscriber.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well if we're talking Moe and podcasts, we just had Moe on for his annual guest spot. The CCST wasn't on the list of topics, but you know trying to talk to Moe means talking about the CCST.

JonnyNero, as soon as I get my desktop up, you've got another subscriber.

I would give you the same honor, but unfortunately, I've already been one for 6 months of yours ;)

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It seems there's a typo in the Handbook - or at the very least, the PDF that was posted.

Anyone leaving from De Forest, WI should note that the departure time of Wednesday, August 27, 23:30 CDT for Leg 2 printed in the centre column on page 18 is incorrect. It should read Tuesday, August 26, 23:30 CDT.

We don't want anyone turning up a day late, do we :)

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ReisaroniReisaroni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woo Hoo! A week from today and i'm on the road! Looking forward to it

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A week from right now and the CCST will be most likely crossing over the Missouri river near Bismarck, ND.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Gravy RobberGravy Robber Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A week from right now and the CCST will be most likely crossing over the Missouri river near Bismarck, ND.

A week from right fucking now and Bismarck, ND will be rendered into ash and broken dreams by our convoy of doom.

Gravy Robber on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This anticipation, it doesn't go away does it? It's killing me!

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    crap crap crap crap crap I still need to get a car flag. hmmm seahawks...

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You and me both. The only one I can find is for the Cavaliers, and they suck. I might actually have to go to the mall for a flag.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I would like to point out that I'm going to be bringing 4 car flags with me. So I will have 3 extras for those who forget. 1 is a red wings flag and the other 2 are American flags. You must prove your worth if you want the Red Wings one.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You and me both. The only one I can find is for the Cavaliers, and they suck. I might actually have to go to the mall for a flag.

The thought of going to a mall terrifies me.

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I should find a Union Jack one, eh.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think Gravy Robber might try and make one for our car.

So much to still do, so little time. Yay for little time!

Reisaroni on
  • Options
    SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

they have malls in ohio?

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
This discussion has been closed.