As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2008

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    So he can help with the other 60%

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Group Name: Team Venture
    Group Leader(s): Nikolis (Anthony Richey)
    Vehicle: 2000, Pontiac, Grand Am, 28 Highway Miles, Roughly 338 miles per tank before reserve
    Starting Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
    First Waypoint: South Bend, Indiana
    Riders: 1
    Name: Citrus (Tim)
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail: Richeya@comcast.net
    IM: Nkluss
    Space Available: 0

If either of us has the ability to acquire a larger vehicle before we may be able to get more/another rider(s) in our vehicle.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    bowlofpetuniasbowlofpetunias Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nikolis, I would love to join Team Venture if you get some space.

bowlofpetunias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That would be swell. Our two possibilities are, I might be able to convince my mom into me borrowing her SUV (which we would NEED 3 people to make the gas cost effective) or he might be able to borrow someones Mini Van, which would be optimal. So I'll let you know first if we do end up with either.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'm a she ;)

And no, as a Satellite Theatre manager I have to be there ASAP. I has a pirate ship to run!

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pfft, what a misplacement of priorities!;-)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'm a she ;)

And no, as a Satellite Theatre manager I have to be there ASAP. I has a pirate ship to run!

^5 and avast Fallen! I'll be there in the morning as well, and probably (hopefully) leave a couple hours before all the crazy drivers make it to BFE.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Liger wrote: »

I'm a she ;)

^5 and avast Fallen! I'll be there in the morning as well, and probably (hopefully) leave a couple hours before all the crazy drivers make it to BFE.

*tackle the liger*
    Yeah, it would be neat to do it, but it really just isn't prudent for me. Sorry guys. :P Maybe if we make our move to Seattle before PAX 09, we'll just caravan with all of you, LOL.

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ok, hello everyone, and forgive the semi lame screenname. It's super old and takes awhile to explain the background of it, but anyway...

I'm looking to join the CCST, Moe posted my info earlier in the thread. I just got the ok to take the time off work and am now totally reserved and registered for it. I'd be leaving from Traverse City, MI in my 2k7 Mazda3 and look to meet up on the southbend waypoint, so I'll be driving all along the west coast of the mitten, with what's looking like room for 1 if anyone needs a ride.

This'll be my first PAX(been wishing I could go since the first one), and I'm really looking forward to everything!

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy Shit... TC's in the house! Do you think you could stop by the Cherry Hut on your way down?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Where's all these promised Canadians and such that are supposed to be going through Dexter?

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There are no routes going through Oregon

I feel this is discrimination against the prettiest state in the Union

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The West Coast trip used to go through Oregon, but they've been replaced by the train, which only stops in parts of Oregon.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Well the train goes through Oregon, and you'd kind of have to go back into Idaho to meet up with us unless we swung from Illinois down the Mississippi into Texas an then followed the coast of the US back up to Washington. Which actually sounds fun except the whole we'd be driving for like a month thing.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Idaho isn't necessary at all. Take 97 up north thru the center of WA and meet at the Ellensburg waypoint. It's only about 6 hours from Bend to E-burg.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well where's the fun in that?

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    hottopicrejecthottopicreject The Mitten StateRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Holy Shit... TC's in the house! Do you think you could stop by the Cherry Hut on your way down?

Just dying for some cherry jam or a cherry pie?

hottopicreject on
  • Options
    mythicknightmythicknight Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any word on the website?

mythicknight on
    And then she exploded...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's getting there. Right now registration and maps are being worked on. The transfer to the ccsupertrip domain should be happening soon.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm just testing the waters for this. My friend and I are going to make our first go at PAX. This sounds like a hell of a lot of fun, and probably cheaper than getting the plane tickets, but there is a slight problem....

...we're in Houston.

Would it be worthing making a team to see if anyone on the way up to, say, Fargo for right now, from houston, would be willing to be another driver, because we definitely aren't going to make this trip with just the two of us.

Please forgive the horrific run on sentence.

Plus, as an incentive, we have a power inverter, a 360, and a little over 6 months to get a small flat screen *wink wink*

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You know, I hadn't expected anybody from Texas, or I would have made a route for this.

The way I'm looking at it, you could join this route where it joins up in Faucett, MO, right near Kansas City.

Faucett, MO
    Arrival Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, August 27, 04:30 CDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

You say the word, and I'll draft up a schedule to get you from Houston to Missouri.

edit: here's a quick mapping

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You know, I hadn't expected anybody from Texas, or I would have made a route for this.

The way I'm looking at it, you could join this route where it joins up in Faucett, MO, right near Kansas City.

Faucett, MO
    Arrival Point: Jet Truck Plaza, 1501 W Cedar St, Beresford, SD 57004
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, August 27, 04:30 CDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

You say the word, and I'll draft up a schedule to get you from Houston to Missouri.

edit: here's a quick mapping
    It's not a definite...it would depend on if my travel mate would want to drive as well PLUS if anyone on that route/anyone from Houston would be able to be picked up and become a driver...

...of a stick more than likely.

Actually, come to think of it, a schedule might help out in convincing him.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ouch. Yeah, manual transmission drivers are a lot harder to find.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Ouch. Yeah, manual transmission drivers are a lot harder to find.

I guess the only thing I can say, is that 3rd times the charm?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can drive manual, but all I have is a provisional UK licence, which I doubt has any validity in the US, and I haven't driven in a few years - I'll check into it, though.

Also, sorry Arachnamus, I've been getting a few things together - I'll get in touch very soon.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I can drive manual, but all I have is a provisional UK licence, which I doubt has any validity in the US, and I haven't driven in a few years - I'll check into it, though.

Also, sorry Arachnamus, I've been getting a few things together - I'll get in touch very soon.

Willeth, is that manual with a right or left hand drive, because I can tell you that trying to drive a stick with the opposite drive that you're used to is going to take some time getting used to.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, thanks for helping anyway...just talked to my friend. Due to the fact that he is pretty sure he can use his miles, we're going to be flying instead.

Probably a better option, so that we aren't exhausted at our first PAX. MAybe next year though

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »

Willeth, is that manual with a right or left hand drive, because I can tell you that trying to drive a stick with the opposite drive that you're used to is going to take some time getting used to.

Shit, good point. I'd be opening the door every time I wanted to shift gears.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I vote for Willeth to drive so we can watch that and roffle the whole way there.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...can I be in the car BEHIND Willeth, then? =)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey, wait a minute! That was my car...I kind of want to be able to drive back if I was going to drive (no offense Willeth). Don't I get a say in this? :p

Come to think of it, my friend is pretty horrible at a stick as well, maybe its better that we fly

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Hey, wait a minute! That was my car...I kind of want to be able to drive back if I was going to drive (no offense Willeth). Don't I get a say in this? :p

Come to think of it, my friend is pretty horrible at a stick as well, maybe its better that we fly

Okay people, you have 6 months to learn/teach stick shift. GET TO IT.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just because you can teach someone how to drive doesn't mean you can teach someone to drive well. Everyday I almost get hit by too many of those people.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    JonnyNero wrote: »

Okay people, you have 6 months to learn/teach stick shift. GET TO IT.

And no... teach people during the CCST doesn't count.

Side Note: I don't think it will actually be the CCST unless I get to drive somebody elses manual transmission car.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just because you can teach someone how to drive doesn't mean you can teach someone to drive well. Everyday I almost get hit by too many of those people.

True, but that's not because of manual transmissions. That's just because people don't pay attention to what they're doing. And if you're bringing someone on the CCST anyway, they should know how to drive at least somewhat decently. :P

Liger on
  • Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It might be a moot point since I'm a driver too, but if it boils down to it, I've been driving a stick since I was fourteen. So perchance we need to do some rearranging to have an extra manual-ready driver, know that I can be an option.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nikolis wrote: »
    Group Name: Team Venture
    Group Leader(s): Nikolis (Anthony Richey)
    Vehicle: 2000, Pontiac, Grand Am, 28 Highway Miles, Roughly 338 miles per tank before reserve
    Starting Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
    First Waypoint: South Bend, Indiana
    Riders: 1
    Name: Citrus (Tim)
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail: Richeya@comcast.net
    IM: Nkluss
    Space Available: 0

If either of us has the ability to acquire a larger vehicle before we may be able to get more/another rider(s) in our vehicle.

Nikolis and Citrus FTW!

These are the dudes I hung out with the most last year. I met them at the Pre-PAX dinner. I can't wait to hang with you totally righteous dudes again. 8-)
    If you guys are going to be Team Venture, I will have to share my Dr. Orpheus impression with you this year.

Who wants... pizza rolls?!

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh it's on!

Although...

I don't think your impression could protect us from a phantom-space man!

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, this is only preliminary... but I would like to announce the offical start to this year's CCLP.

For those who weren't on the CCST last year, joined up after Fargo, ND or just plan forgot - let me tell you about the CCLP.

The CCLP stood for "Cross Country LAN Project" The idea stemmed from the fact that we were a caravan of geeks. Mostly everybody was going to have a laptop with WiFi... so why don't we make our own WiFi LAN between the cars. I had read about it being done before on a small scale (3 cars), but that was years ago and I thought that we could easily beat that. We could have all the cars linked up, running Vent, streaming music from car to car, multiplayer gaming... the works.

Now with no prior knowledge (My fault) and no prior testing (Thanks Thanda), we were literally getting the pieces together during the CCST last year. We did ok for a bit, but after the MN waypoint, the convoy grew too large for what I had brought.

But that was last year. It was labeled as a project for a reason. I've learned from the mistakes from last year and hope to rectify them over the next 6 months and have one kick ass sweet set-up for everybody. That's why I'm calling it the "Cross Country LAN Party" this time around.

So what does that mean for anybody who wants to participate? Well I've compiled a list of things that you should keep an eye out for:
    • A laptop for your car to connect to the CCLP
    • Power Inverters
    • A wifi router that can run DD-WRT or Open-WRT
    • Any sort of high gain WiFi antennas.
    • See if you know anybody who works at D-Link, Cisco or any other company that deals with WiFi. I would love to not have to buy routers for all the cars and such.

The one thing I realized last year is that WiFi takes two people to work at it's best. I can have a huge antenna and one hell of a router... but how well this is going to work, is going to come down to what's hooked up at the other end. That's all for now.

EDIT: Oh, and the new logo is coming soon.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I take it there wasn't mass DS playing between cars?

If I come into anything I can contribute to it though I will. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
This discussion has been closed.