As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2008

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As far as car rentals go, at least in the states, most won't rent to under 21. But if they do allow 18 they charge daily fees that can be like half the daily rental price for 18-21 and a slightly lower fee for 21-25. A lot of them also only give you the rate they specify on mileage or unlimited miles in certain states. Assume they jsut stick GPS trackers or something in their cars at this point. Also to avoid even more crazy fees you usually have to have your own insurance on your regular vehicle as well which I think has to be in your name. A lot of under 25 folks are just on their parents since it's just stupid the cost of having your own car insurance 18-24.

Yeah, I've come up with a solution:

Take my dads car, provide him with money to rent himself a replacement for the time I've taken it for.

Now just to convince him of it (he's got a 1999 Jaguar XJ8, but quite likes the look of the new Chrysler 300s, so I figured renting him one of those might help convince him of it)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    I'm just testing the waters for this. My friend and I are going to make our first go at PAX. This sounds like a hell of a lot of fun, and probably cheaper than getting the plane tickets, but there is a slight problem....

...we're in Houston.

Would it be worthing making a team to see if anyone on the way up to, say, Fargo for right now, from houston, would be willing to be another driver, because we definitely aren't going to make this trip with just the two of us.

Please forgive the horrific run on sentence.

Plus, as an incentive, we have a power inverter, a 360, and a little over 6 months to get a small flat screen *wink wink*

Ecnomically its often the same price as flying, depending on gas & distance, number of people to divide between.... but every time I figure it it always becomes the same as the price of flying for my fiance & I. So I wouldn't count on it being cheaper, especially w/ how far away you're coming from. And figuring in return gas & expenses.

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Um, dude, I've done this several times now. Flying costs between $250 (for a really good rate) and $400 per person round trip. One car costs about the same, divided by the number of people riding. With 3 people or more in the car, it is significantly cheaper than a flight. Trust me on this one. In both 2006 and 2007, it has cost me less than $200 round trip in gas.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not after you factor in additional time off from work for driving (depending on your income, I suppose: if you're a college student/unemployed I guess it's moot). Of course, I'm doing the train trip, which both costs more AND takes longer than driving, so feel free to ignore me.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    bowlofpetuniasbowlofpetunias Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not after you factor in additional time off from work for driving (depending on your income, I suppose: if you're a college student/unemployed I guess it's moot). Of course, I'm doing the train trip, which both costs more AND takes longer than driving, so feel free to ignore me.

1101155358ltg6.jpg

bowlofpetunias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    *creepy robot picture*

I feel confused, sort of violated, but most of all left out of a joke.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's from the Venture Bros. The robot just yells, "IGNORE ME!" at everybody.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    bowlofpetuniasbowlofpetunias Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He's covertly spying on the Venture clan. Well... sort of.

bowlofpetunias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's what I get for limiting my Adult Swim intake to ATHF and Sealab DVD's. Oh, and robot chicken, but even then it's online only. The only time in recent memory I watched anything on AS on purpose was the Robot Chicken Star Wars thing.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am tentatively enlisting as a driver, leaving from Montgomery, AL. Maybe.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Maybe my ass, you better be there, HotSake

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy hell. I have GOT to get in on this. I just have a few questions:

1) Is it required that you HAVE to have a driver's liscense to get in on this? I don't have mine, but I'd be willing to chip in a little more on gas and snacks.

2) About how much $$$ is this going to cost? I have a pretty good fund already, but I need to know how much I'm going to end up spending so I can get a rudimentary budget put together.

3) I think I saw someone saying they were going to have a waypoint in Kalamazoo, MI; I can do that, but would be easier if I could get picked up from Paw Paw (about 20 miles west on I-94, exit 60)

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    1. You don't have to be a driver, but it's harder to find a car because, especially coming from Michigan, there needs to be three drivers, and in anything sedan-sized, three is about the max. Vans, SUVs and other larger vehicles can fit more people.

2. I usually spend about $1000 round trip, including gas, hotel, liquor and swag.

3. There's a waypoint in Dexter, MI near Ann Arbor. The CCST doesn't pick people up. It's your responsibility to find your way to the waypoint or meet with your vehicle from their departure point. Also, in the case of riding with complete strangers, you should be over 18.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I guess I just have to cross my fingers and maybe see about a ride to South Bend if the whole thing from Kalamazoo doesn't work out. I'll give my own license a shot or ten this year, too.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    #1. Moe's right.... kinda. If I've got the van set-up right, I could easily ferry some people to and from PAX.

#2. Moe spends way too much money on Liquor and swag. 5 people in the van would put gas at $170 round trip. 4 people at $212. The badge costs $40. Hotel rooms are $780 total for 4 days, so depending on how many people are in your room, you're looking at $195-390. $150-$200 for food money is what I spent last year for the whole trip. So let's see... I'd say $600 - $825 if you want to go on the cheap.

#3. Um... Don't listen to Moe, I'm willing to make a slight detour off of 94 to help somebody out. I did it last year for goodness sakes.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There is never such thing as too much when it comes to liquor and swag.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also, in the case of riding with complete strangers, you should be over 18.

That and we're going to have wacky crazy adventures that we may regret having minors present. ;)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    There is never such thing as too much when it comes to liquor and swag.

Yeah, my liqour and swag budget is shaping up to be many, many more times than my transportation budget.

And I'm from Ontario.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    mythicknightmythicknight Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *pokes Moe with rabid spork of doom*

Hows that site a'comin'? :-P

mythicknight on
    And then she exploded...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's coming. I'm waiting on some server updates right now before we can migrate it to the server. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go bother randomguy about those server updates.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Real soon right Moe?

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey everybody I'm seriously considering making this the first year I attend PAX, and I'm already extremely excited. I'm from north of Boston, MA and I've never, ever travelled west of NYC except for Montreal. I'd love to travel and experience the trek across the country, but this might end up being a week long trip ordeal. Let me know if any of you have done this from the New England area/NY/PA and how it ended up. A PM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've never, ever travelled west of NYC except for Montreal.

Montreal is East of NYC.

sorry, geography geek in me cannot be quelled.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey everybody I'm seriously considering making this the first year I attend PAX, and I'm already extremely excited. I'm from north of Boston, MA and I've never, ever travelled west of NYC except for Montreal. I'd love to travel and experience the trek across the country, but this might end up being a week long trip ordeal. Let me know if any of you have done this from the New England area/NY/PA and how it ended up. A PM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I've driven out to Boston before, and I've driven out to Seattle... So I guess I've driven from Coast to Coast before... And didn't randomguy go from NYC to Seattle?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, yes he did.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    My wife and I drove the length of I80 (NYC to San Francisco) when we relocated out here. That was 4.5 days, we took it relativly slow compared to the CCST - we actually *gasp* stopped to sleep at night! If you're looking to "Experience" the trip, I'd say you'd have to take at least that long. We didn't stop to sight see or anything, which I'm kicking myself for now, as I would have loved to have spent a day in Chicago Ferris Bueller style. I'd imagine the CCST people would agree - there's not much to see from the road, and at the rate they're going you won't get to enjoy what little there is.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I wouldn't say that. We enjoyed it immensely. We just didn't stop to see the sights, as it were, but there were plenty of people along to enjoy the ride.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, I enjoyed my trip as well (except when my cat clawed me trying to jump out at drive throu's and toll booths), my point was you're not going to "experience" America. You'll get to see alot of it (not that there's much variation for the bulk of it), and with CCST you'll have the pleasure of a large group of like minded people to do so with. But you won't be taking in small town charm, you won't be stopping at Mt Rushmore, you won't eat local food, etc.

On that last point, even relying only on fast food, I managed to experience something unique (for me at least) - Chik-fil-a. Deep fried heaven for the chicken sandwich lover, I highly recommend it if you pass through their mid west or southern coverage area and are from the outside.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    We visited Mt. Rushmore in 2006, it was a hassle to get to from the highway, 100 degrees, and not really worth the extra time, when it was all said and done.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone doing this from FL? What a brutal f'n drive. Looks like an inefficient path, too.

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The path from the southern states is directed to bring it to the rest of the group as quickly as possible.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Silver2086Silver2086 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is fantastic. A Florida leg of the trip was what I was hoping for. I seriously considering going to PAX just for the roadtrip. I'm gonna have to see if its possible first but I would love to get in on this.

Silver2086 on
    banpleasezw3.gif
    Silver2086.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    Anyone doing this from FL? What a brutal f'n drive. Looks like an inefficient path, too.

I might be doing it, but holy fuck is it insane. Still, to be able to have said I've driven from orlando to Seattle and back is a good conversation peice

ronzo on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I thought the trek from Massachusetts would be rough, but damn the FL one is unbelievable.

I agree with you though, this is my first time, and I've NEVER travelled west of NY so the roadtrip there and back will be half the fun of the journey. I am so pumped up for this and I just wished it was sooner.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dude, I've never travelled west of Cornwall.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Dude, I've never travelled west of Cornwall.

Har, har.:roll:

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I'd like to note that I'm still available as a passenger for anyone that wants me. Bonus - I can be picked up from anywhere!

Hey Willeth-
    Veevee and I are looking for a third if you still need a spot email him or me and we will talk. :)
    Also since the site isn't up yet, at least im pretty sure it isn't, here's our info:
    Group Name: will choose when we have the third.
    Group Leader(s): Anngaricis & Veevee
    Vehicle: 2005, Kia, Rio, 30 - 35 MPG, 350 per tank, It be my own.
    Max. Desired Passengers: 3
    Starting Location: Madison, Wi
    First Waypoint: Deforest, Wi
    Riders: Ann Meyer (Anngaricis), David Meyer (Veevee)
    Name:Ann Meyer
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail:Ariannas.lion@gmail.com
    IM:AOL: JoAnn15729
    Cell: For the CCST Phone List. This information will be collected in the summer. Every car will require at least one cell phone.
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 1

Group Name: will choose when we have the third.
    Group Leader(s): Anngaricis & Veevee
    Vehicle: 2005, Kia, Rio, 30 - 35 MPG, 350 per tank, It be my own.
    Max. Desired Passengers: 3
    Starting Location: Madison, Wi
    Riders: Ann Meyer (Anngaricis), David Meyer (Veevee)
    Name: David Meyer
    Driving?: Yes
    E-Mail:Veevee@gmail.com
    IM:AOL: Tffvivi
    Cell: no phone yet will have by June (hopefully)
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 1

To clarify we live together and I am way more involved in PAX than he is at this point. Although he has been apart of PA longer.

Sorry if I made any glaring (or not so glaring) mistakes. :)

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Woo, well since we have so many people and the website isn't ready yet, I'm going to start conglomerating a list of everybody's groups this weekend. Anybody who's been thinking about going, but not posted their info yet, now is the time. Remember, we need an e-mail address above all other contact information. If you've already posted your information, go back and make sure everything is correct in it or edit in any changes there have been.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any tally on how many cars yet?

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    About ten, right now.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.