As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, someone probably took a bunch of my games...

SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
A few months ago my brother had a friend of his stay at our house. His mother was hooking back up with an old boyfriend who had just gotten out of jail, and didn't want anything to do with it. About a month or so ago, I heard his plan was to stay at his girlfriends on the days he worked, then at ours when he didn't. My mom and her boyfriend didn't like the idea of using both houses just because, and I guess kicked him out.

A few weeks ago, with me out of school, I decided to take a look around for some games to play, only to find them gone. After some more searching, I find out a lot more games are missing, most of which were sitting on my TV at the time, and some directly from my shelf. All in all I'm missing up to a dozen or more games. We searched around my room and couldn't find them anywhere, and three of them (.hack vol 1-3) I know were always on the shelf, and I had never gotten them out for any reason. My brother said he liked to watch the anime on youtube. What's more, apparently he had taken our credit cards from time to time without asking, and my brother also tells me that he had try to take money from other friends as well.

A few days ago my brother tried calling him, asking where they went. He said he didn't have them, and my brother made a kinda dumb threat along the lines of "if we don't get them back, you won't get the rest of your stuff" (we have a few bags of his clothes in the room he stayed in. We were waiting for him to come get them, but he never came around).

I can't think of any other place the games could be, and I doubt it was some random thief, because then more valuable stuff would be missing (my laptop, the game systems, etc.). I feel stupid for not noticing it sooner, but at the time my schedule was so packed that if I wasn't at school, I was either working at my job or working on a school project or homework, and just couldn't pay a lot of attention to what was or wasn't in my room.

The current plan is to confront him personally, and if that doesn't turn up anything we go to his mother, but even then he might not admit to anything because, for all I know, he could have already sold most of the games for quick cash. And I don't think the police are going to be much help because in the end a lot of it is circumstantial and we don't have hard evidence he did it (unless some of my games are with him right now, and are the ones where I tuck the receipt into the cover jacket).

Is their anything else we can do at this point?

SpeedySwaf on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hate to say it man, but it sounds like you paid for a good lesson on not letting strangers stay at your place while leaving all of your stuff just lying around. There really isn't much you can do, and I would most certainly NOT confront the guy. Your roomate already made a "threat", and you getting face to face with him is only going to make things worse.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    could check local pawn shops and the sort to see if your collection is there. If you manage to find them, the police may be able to do something.

brandotheninjamaster on